Buying a Second Hand Car in Thailand

As already stated if you have a work permit you do not need a residence certificate... And of course visa versa.... No work permit then you need the residence certificate.... And I agree with the poster who stated do not hand over the money until the blue book is verified... And btw a DLT service agent can do that in a matter a minutes.. But then again if you like to spend hours standing in line and sitting in a non air conditioned building while they process your paperwork then you will enjoy your time at DLT...
  • Like 1

As already stated if you have a work permit you do not need a residence certificate... And of course visa versa.... No work permit then you need the residence certificate.... And I agree with the poster who stated do not hand over the money until the blue book is verified... And btw a DLT service agent can do that in a matter a minutes.. But then again if you like to spend hours standing in line and sitting in a non air conditioned building while they process your paperwork then you will enjoy your time at DLT...

Where does one find these 'DLT service agents'?

Where does one find these 'DLT service agents'?

At the pattaya centre they are based across the road on the far left hand side. I sold a bike recently and they did all the paperwork for the buyer for 400 baht.

• 1 month later...

I am buying a cheap  car for a mate who is coming to Thailand for 3 months .He aims to drive it around and then give it to me to onsell after he leaves.

I am buying a car this week for him, and want to know if i buy it he can use it and leave it in the name of the seller/?

I will get from seller;;

Blue book

Signed photocopy of Thai ID card..or signed copy of passport info

The two pertinent DLT forms signed as needed by seller

Receipt for payment..

Keep all this paperwork and sell the car later using all this info

Any problems that i might not be seeing in doing this please?

PS I will naturally be checking engine number to number in blue book and rego label etc..

Edited by andreandre

This might work but I found with a scooter I bought that if it has been signed over to someone else but not fully processed via the DLT etc and then sold onto someone else that the last person has to transfer it to the previous people officially first and basically pay for 2 transfers.

i.e. I bought the scooter from a guy who had bought the scooter recently from someone else, complete with all the signed licence scans and forms etc, he then did the same for me, signed his own licence scans and completed forms but when I went to officially register at the DLT I had to paw to have it transferred to him and then transferred to me.

• Like 1

OK So from my research am I correct in thinking the seller needs to provide:

I will then be able to take all this along with signed photocopies of my passport, visa and workpermit to the DLT and as it is Tax'd and Insured until January simply pay a small fee to transfer the car legally to my name?

Anything I am missing of have got wrong?

Cheers Guys

Nobody needs a work permit to buy a car.

Only strange thing was the guys wife's signature was not anywhere in the blue book. He phoned her (she was at work) and asked and she said it doesn't need to be and the signatures are the people who processed the transfers? Is this correct?

The owner of the vehichle as stated in the blue book should sign it

where it says ลงชื่อ............................ผู้ถือกรรมสิทธิ์

Some DLT's are more lax about it than others  but best to get it signed.

You can also use  a "Yellow house book"  instead of residence certificate or work permit.

though I read on here somewhere that Pattaya don't like "yellow house books" at the moment.

Edited by johng