where to go

Hi all.

My gf and I live in isaan with are son, who is 3 months old. we are all going to the uk at the end of august, and my gf is worried about

her English, she speaks and understands quiet well, but finds it hard to follow in groups or fast conversations.

she want's to go on a course for a month before we go, and I also want to learn Thai and have a swim in the sea.

we are looking for a clean beach location, with good language school, and not to overprice accommodation. i.e. around 10,000-12,000b for the month.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Neither of you will learn much in a month at a few hours here and there.

I would suggest you read to her, get a book, read to her and then ask her to explain what you have just read.

Start by slowing your speech down and gradually bring it up to normal speed.

She should be able to teach you some basic words and phrases, you right them down and ask her to give you the Thai equivalent, you both learn that way.

Help each other, that's what me and the wife did.

I think you'll find most of her problem will be confidence not ability.

Just a suggestion.

I think you are right about the confidence, that's why she want's to learn with others. That way she can get used to group conversations, and build some confidence before we go.

Also having a 3 month old we have little time where we are both free, so going out for a few hours a day, might be a better learning environment.

Happy to try and help.

Re the English, my Thai gf had good written English, but relatively poor oral skills found this a really good site ... http://legacy.australianetwork.com/learningenglish/ ... don't worry, she won't get an Aussie accent ... w00t.gif

What is good about that site is that there are about 7 different styles available there from a school style instruction to a genuine conversation and within each of these programs, vary degress of difficulity.

All on-line and easily transportable.

As for a nice place to live ... consider Rayong?

rayong-ranta.jpgmap_thailand_ip.gif

^^ Mate, you are welcome.

In the same area but closer to Bangkok is Si Racha, well north of Pattaya, so it doesn't get that influence.

Some good reports about that place also, though I suspect that the sandy beaches are of a lesser quality to that of Rayong.

• Like 1

Great story,op,glad to see you care and think about your wife,no suggestions i am sorry,but a really good and refreshing post,i can imagine she is a little nervous about going to the Uk,but she seems to have in you a good and caring partner,best of luck to you and your family.

• Like 1

I think the school would be a waste of time... just my opinion.

You should be teaching her.

My wife sounds similar to yours.

By that I mean she has a good grasp on words, but the conversation bit she struggles a little.

After 3 or 4 years of my wife living in Australia, she has greatly improved in conversations. The issue is we talk fast according to her, and use slang.

Best way to learn imo is for her to be immersed in the culture which she will when you get back home.

Your family and friends will teach her without them really knowing, so long as they have a little patience with her and understand her.

End of the day, it takes a lot longer than 3 months...usually.

But she will get it eventually.

Btw, Rayong sure looks nice!