Thai Script In Sms And E-mail?

Thee_Rak

I've Thai Language support on my Windows XP Pro system here in the US and when I send an e-mail with Thai Script in it the characters viewed in Thailand (at a cafe) are gibberish. Ideas? I don't think it's the Thai computer set-up as it's in Thailand so you'd think it's capable of displaying Thai.

Same question for SMS via my phone or the one in Thailand. When she sends sms to me in Thai Script it's gibberish on my phone. My phone was bought in BKK and is a Thai version. I can send to her in Thai Script (even if I don't know what I'm typing ;-) Is this a limitation of my cell phone network?

I think you haven't set up you Thai keyboard properly.

Set you keyboard as 'Thai Kedmanee' and when you want to type Thai character, simply switch the keyboard from Eng --> Thai and nothing else, e.g. don't change the font as it will automatically change for you.

As for sms, I can't type it in Thai either even though I had Thai characters on both phones.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Thai-Aust

I think you haven't set up you Thai keyboard properly.

Set you keyboard as 'Thai Kedmanee' and when you want to type Thai character, simply switch the keyboard from Eng --> Thai and nothing else, e.g. don't change the font as it will automatically change for you.

As for sms, I can't type it in Thai either even though I had Thai characters on both phones.

Hope this helps.

That probably works for Outlook Express and other Microsoft products, but it doesn't work with all email programs. In Eudora, for example, I have to change the font inside the program. Sometimes that doesn't work either -- some recipients of my Thai script email (which looks fine on my end) complain they receive it as gibberish. Others say it comes through fine.

It works the other way as well, Thai email coming into Eudora sometimes lookw fine, other times gibberish. I've yet to figure out a way to make it consistently appear as Thai in both directions, other than sending an attachment in Microsoft Word.

I think Outlook users don't have these problems. Also when I use webmail it seems I can use Thai script consistently.

As for mobile phones, you have to set it up with your server to be able to receive both Thai and roman scripts I believe. At least that's how it works with DTAC. If you have a Pocket PC phone (which I now use), you have to buy and install separate software, ThaiWinCE I believe it's called.

When is the other Thai script use, I think it's called Patchoee , I can't remember exactly.

Pattachote:Kedmanee::Dvorak:QWERTY

In other words, it just a way of arranging the keys on a keyboard, nothing to do with reading e-mails or SMS.

• 1 month later...
That probably works for Outlook Express and other Microsoft products, but it doesn't work with all email programs. In Eudora, for example, I have to change the font inside the program. Sometimes that doesn't work either -- some recipients of my Thai script email (which looks fine on my end) complain they receive it as gibberish. Others say it comes through fine.

It works the other way as well, Thai email coming into Eudora sometimes lookw fine, other times gibberish. I've yet to figure out a way to make it consistently appear as Thai in both directions, other than sending an attachment in Microsoft Word.

For Eudora there is a free plugin you can use for conversion between Thai and western language. You can find the details here: http://www.smi.uib.no/files/EudTab.html

Hope it works out for you. Here it is working fine...

When you get the "gibberish" in windows (most versions) go view; encoding; and then select Thai language if it has been installed. It converts the "gibberish" to thai script. It can be annoying as you have to do it for every page. I do this when I get stuff from some web boards, if you select Auto it depends on the sending computer and some other stuff.

As to SMS I did not know my phone (Sony Erricson V600i) supported thai script untill I was sent an SMS from a friend. I opened it and there was Thai script. I cannot send Thai as it is not one of the languages in my phone. If I were to get a software "upgrade" in Thailand I would, then I would need to find out which key did what. :o

• 4 weeks later...

For Eudora there is a free plugin you can use for conversion between Thai and western language. You can find the details here: http://www.smi.uib.no/files/EudTab.html

Hope it works out for you. Here it is working fine...

The documentation on the website mentions menu items in Eudora that don't exist, so I can't figure out where to place the tables or how to install them from the Eudora menus.

The documentation on the website mentions menu items in Eudora that don't exist, so I can't figure out where to place the tables or how to install them from the Eudora menus.

sorry, i don't know how to do this for windows version of Eudora. You have to place the files in a certain directory as they explain on the forementioned page for Mac OSX version. Probably the directory name is the same for windows.

Maybe easier to drop your question at the Eudora forum: http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/index.php

or search the forum for an answer.

Good luck...

sorry, i don't know how to do this for windows version of Eudora. You have to place the files in a certain directory as they explain on the forementioned page for Mac OSX version. Probably the directory name is the same for windows.

Maybe easier to drop your question at the Eudora forum: http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/index.php

or search the forum for an answer.

Good luck...

There's a folder called 'extrastuff' but none called 'Eudora Stuff'. I inserted the table in extra stuff, but then couldn't follow the remainder of the instructions as every menu title in the isntructions is incorrect (at least for Eudora 7.0).

I did have Thai font capability with an earlier version of Eudora. I reformatted my hard drive recently and did away with all previous versions of Eudora, so can't figure out how to get it back.

I'm fine with all other Window aps, such as Microsoft Word, have Kedmanee set up, etc. It's pretty frustrating to have to use webmail every time I want to send or receive Thai email ... :o