Thailand prison sentences

josh1990

Does anybody know where to find what convicted criminals are sentenced to. I see so many posts about people being arrested for crimes, but never see any news on what they get as their punishment. I know Thailand are extremely harsh on their sentencing, no mercy taken. Just out of general interest really. Thanks

Or as in the news yesterday, driver takes out an entire overhead walkway/bridge, needs completely removing and rebuilding.......fined 1000 baht !

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

"If you poor and unconnected, a custodial sentence roughly in line with the crime".

​ Isn't that what the OP is asking...what is the punishment to match a crime in Thailand?...... Like in some countries "Life' for murder, while in other countries "Life" equals about 9 or 10 years. In other words....what are the guidelines? or, what carries a mandatory sentence and how long are those sentences for a particular crime.

• Like 1

You ask, what appears as a simple question.

This being Thailand the answer might be along the lines of ...

If you poor and unconnected, a custodial sentence roughly in line with the crime.

If, however, you have influence, connections or a deep wallet, that may influence the above statement.

A statement stronger then the above maybe inappropiate.

Let's just hope that none of us discover, first hand, the appalling conditions of either a Bail Cell or worse a Prison.

Yes but he's asking what are those sentances that are roughly in line with the crime

Or as in the news yesterday, driver takes out an entire overhead walkway/bridge, needs completely removing and rebuilding.......fined 1000 baht !

He's a person without wealtb or influence so that would suggest a very lenient sentencing regime, in conflict with earlier posters?

Restitution may have been ordered, a different concept from punitive measures, but for a driver tbere would be no chance of him ever paying for damage.

He's somebody without influence or wealth, so that supports a very lenientsentencing regime? That seems in conflict with tge

I would think this is an almost impossible question to answer.

Not only does money and who you know influence the decision but also probably if you annoy the local BIB and if you are not a Thai national.

Recently had an accident, not too serious but caused by reckless driving. Not my fault. Driver told he was wrong by the BIB who attended the scene (yes it does happen that farang are not always deemed to be in the wrong).

Driver of lorry told that he would have to spend 2 nights in the local cells (no court appearance) or pay 400B at the local station and then and he could go home.

Incidentally he did not have the money on him, my wife gave him 500B which he promised to send back when he got paid. Not surprisingly the 500B never returned even after about 4 phone calls. Last time that I let my wife help out like this.

• Like 2

If only they could lock up some of the members that post on this forum,and i am not talking about anyone who has responded to this post,who are all good guys and ladies,but people who when you post a medical question like i did about a family member the other night,pour scorn and vitriol on you that in my mind was well out of order,i won't name any names,and i never hit the report button,i can take it,if warranted,but this was a genuine question looking for information which has since been moved to the health section,if they could lock up posters like this i would be happy and if they threw the key away,even happier.

• Like 1

If only they could lock up some of the members that post on this forum,and i am not talking about anyone who has responded to this post,who are all good guys and ladies,but people who when you post a medical question like i did about a family member the other night,pour scorn and vitriol on you that in my mind was well out of order,i won't name any names,and i never hit the report button,i can take it,if warranted,but this was a genuine question looking for information which has since been moved to the health section,if they could lock up posters like this i would be happy and if they threw the key away,even happier.

I totally agree with you. Some replies are disgusting on here. I feel sorry for some ops that are asking for advise.

• Like 1

From my experiences of Thai courts in relation to the following family members:-

1. Korat 2010. Brother in law (19) gave his friend a lift to the next village on his motorbike. Ran into a police road block. The friend (passenger) was found to be carrying a small number of Methamphetamine pills. Brother in law was found to carry nothing of the sorts or in connection with what the friend had. Both arrested. Friend was caught in possession and charged. Brother in law denied everything and was beaten up by the police during the course of the night. He was forced to sign a confession admitting involvement. Both got 5 years each and they are both still inside.
  2. Korat 2006-7. Wife's cousin (16) was murdered by a group of youths who mistook him for some one else. They almost decapitated him. All were found guity after an age, one of them was a son of a policeman. It took an age to go to court in 2009, nobody went to jail. Some of the youths absconded before the trail. Blood money was changed hands to the sum of about 500,000 Baht. All are still at large, except for the poor cousin.

Funny old game.

OP: Some reading for you.

The following URL talks to the philosophy of criminal sentencing in the Thai justice system

http://www.thailawforum.com/articles/sentencingsuparp.html

URL below provides the Thai Criminal Code in English

http://www.samuiforsale.com/law-texts/thailand-penal-code.html

Thai criminal justice system is not based upon precedence therefore no consistency in sentencing

http://www.thailandlaw.org/overview-of-thailand-laws.html

There is a heavy emphasis on out of court compensation, rather than conviction and imprisonment which contributes to institutionalised corruption of the RTP & the justice system. Many of the poor obtain money on the black market for compensation payments at very high rates of interest, no access to funds, go to prison.

I believe the media are often not permitted to attend Court when sentence is announced.

It depends on the crime, if it is malicious and pre-meditated it almost always carries mandatory prison time or the death penalty.

If it's a spur of the moment act influenced by immediate events it can carry prison time but if restitution is made usually this is suspended or replaced with a fine.

If it is due to negligence it is usually a choice between a fine or jail time (or both). The sentence is dependent on the severity of the crime and on the defendant's efforts to make restitution. In most cases if sufficient restitution is made and remorse is shown jail time is contradicted.

Running over and killing a Farung, in a company truck, third offence same crime.

150 000 baht fine

B/S

He could be referring to the company fine, or a fine + compensation. The fine itself cannot of course exceed 20,000.

If it happened as reported (we never know) then ... bah.gif

Thailand, never ceasing to amaze you!

Yes that story is untrue. Although the Thai did stab the German, the court charged the German 500 baht so the criminal could replace his jacket apparently the German bleed to much and got stabbers jacket dirty.

If the court is charging criminals 500.baht for stabbing a German i wonder what the going rate is for a Frenchman. Does anyone know what the fine for stabbing a Frenchman is?

By the way to answer the OP ..yes i do.