'Docile' Thais abused by Hawaii corporations !

KonaRain

http://hpr2.org/post/latest-settlement-announced-mistreated-thai-farmworkers

The stereotyped view that Thais are easy to control by withholding any rewards,

came back to bite several Hawaii corporations who have been ordered to pay millions of U.S. dollars to the very deserving Thais.

The corporations also offered many 'millions' of USD in employment..?

I guess that would include a visa..

Our Thai brothers and Sisters were reduced to eating birds..

Hawaii Island Mac Nut growers and others were involved.

Aloha Oi !

http://hpr2.org/post/latest-settlement-announced-mistreated-thai-farmworkers

Edited by KonaRain

This is great news ending a sad story. I read several versions of the story, and the best I can tell is that hundreds of Thai workers, perhaps 500, will each receive at least US$100,000 or more in damages plus jobs, benefits, protection, retirement accounts and so on.

This is a shocking story of human trafficking of Thais on US soil.

It's a sad story but the good news is that the US has the rule of law and doesn't put up with that chit. It was US Government agencies that filed the suits on behalf of the Thais and it isn't over yet. This is just the beginning of announcements of civil damages paid to workers. We haven't seen the criminal charges yet or the total of monetary relief for the Thais.

This is what's good about 1st world countries. Yes there are very bad people everywhere, but commit an offense and you will pay, whoever you are. Kudos to The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission for discovering this and leading the charge.

This case deserves what the US calls punitive damages. That is, award the victims a fair amount for actual damages, and then another huge amount to punish the perps. Punitive damages are also used to send a message to anyone watching that "this could happen to you."

Go get them EEOC.

This is great news ending a sad story. I read several versions of the story, and the best I can tell is that hundreds of Thai workers, perhaps 500, will each receive at least US$100,000 or more in damages plus jobs, benefits, protection, retirement accounts and so on.

It's a sad story but the good news is that the US has the rule of law and doesn't put up with that chit. It was US Government agencies that filed the suits on behalf of the Thais and it isn't over yet. This is just the beginning of announcements of civil damages paid to workers. We haven't seen the criminal charges yet or the total of monetary relief for the Thais.

This is what's good about 1st world countries. Yes there are very bad people everywhere, but commit an offense and you will pay, whoever you are. Kudos to The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission for discovering this and leading the charge.

This case deserves what the US calls punitive damages. That is, award the victims a fair amount for actual damages, and then another huge amount to punish the perps. Punitive damages are also used to send a message to anyone watching that "this could happen to you."

Go get them EEOC.

Yes, you are right, a happy ending in this case. But the EEOC doesn't have nearly enough resources to go after every single case. There is still massive abuse going on in the US, mostly involving Latin American illegals, from migrant workers, to slaughterhouses, to domestic workers, etc.

So yes, abuse of foreign workers goes on all over the world, including the US. Much worse in the Middle East.

• Like 1

Go get them EEOC.

Yes, you are right, a happy ending in this case. But the EEOC doesn't have nearly enough resources to go after every single case. There is still massive abuse going on in the US, mostly involving Latin American illegals, from migrant workers, to slaughterhouses, to domestic workers, etc.

So yes, abuse of foreign workers goes on all over the world, including the US. Much worse in the Middle East.

MASSIVE abuse? in usa? someone should tell the mexicans so they wont come on over.

• 2 weeks later...

^^ choochoo..(cool name)

Yeah, docile, obedient.. I used a thesaurus online to try to recreate the feeling I had when I heard thus story while awakening on the radio..racial [national] stereotypes! EEOC Asians helping Asians, which I'm used to in Hawaii..I wanted to make the pre- judge, assumption point...alohz

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by KonaRain