Swedish FM predicts 'British Isles Balkanization' after Scotland's independence

webfact

Swedish FM predicts 'British Isles Balkanization' after Scotland's independence

STOCKHOLM: -- Swedish foreign minister has warned that Scottish independence would lead to the "Balkanization of the British Isles" and have an impact on the rest of Europe. Carl Bildt later told the Financial Times that there would be "unforeseen chain reactions" in both EU and the UK if Scotland were to gain independence.

"I think it’s going to have far more profound implications than people think. The Balkanization of the British Isles is something we are not looking forward to," said Mr Bildt, who was known to have been the UN’s special envoy to the Balkans between 1999 and 2001.

"It opens up a lot, primarily in Scotland but also in the UK. What are the implications for the Irish question? What happens in Ulster?"

Mr Bildt expressed his concern over the turbulent Scottish independence process in which the smaller "rump" of the UK would probably have to reconsider some of its own EU membership terms.

"The vote is one thing. But there will then be a fairly painful period of separation and how is that going to affect the EU relationship? I assume there will have to be renegotiation of votes," he said.

Full story: http://voiceofrussia.com/2014_06_05/Swedish-foreign-minister-predicts-British-Isles-Balkanization-after-Scotlands-independence-1199/

vor.jpg
-- Voice of Russia 2014-06-05

Nice to see that Russia is taking an interest in Scotland, but what is Sweden's agenda in all this?

Salmond has suggested that Scotland join a Scandi-bloc. He is trying to plant the idea of a independent Scotland with unparalleled welfare in the minds of Gorbals voters. (nothing about 58% income tax though). The Scandinavian countries have been cool on Salmond's suggestion.

• Like 1

Nice to see that Russia is taking an interest in Scotland, but what is Sweden's agenda in all this?

My guess is that the Russian Ultimate Power is a bit pissed at Bildt for his stand on the Ukraine/Crimea situation.

Scotland gaining independence a problem? I very much doubt that. It would be a problem without the EU, but as long as every country in Europe is members or have strong cooperation agreements with the EU, there is not going to be any problems even close to what was seen on the Balkans. A more divided Europe might actually be a stronger EU and god knows we need that with Russia playing mafia wars with China.

My guess is that the Russian Ultimate Power is a bit pissed at Bildt for his stand on the Ukraine/Crimea situation.

Scotland gaining independence a problem? I very much doubt that. It would be a problem without the EU, but as long as every country in Europe is members or have strong cooperation agreements with the EU, there is not going to be any problems even close to what was seen on the Balkans. A more divided Europe might actually be a stronger EU and god knows we need that with Russia playing mafia wars with China.

Well if Scotland ever did vote to leave the UK (which I very much doubt), it would create a lot of anomosity in Ulster and could restart the whole IRA republican movement again in an attempt to force a referendum in Northern Ireland. I doubt Wales would ever join the charade.

The Jocks are not going to throw away their cushy UK benefits. They will certainly lose the huge defense contracts that were snatched away from Plymouth in a coalition attempt to bribe the Jocks to vote for continued unity. They would be taking HUGE risks to cut themselves off from the prosperity of the UK economy which is the fastest growing economy in Western Europe at this moment.

One interesting thing though.... In a way I want Scottish independence..... why?..... Because it will all but wipe out the Labour Party.... I would love that.

• Like 2

Well if Scotland ever did vote to leave the UK (which I very much doubt), it would create a lot of anomosity in Ulster and could restart the whole IRA republican movement again in an attempt to force a referendum in Northern Ireland. I doubt Wales would ever join the charade.

The Jocks are not going to throw away their cushy UK benefits. They will certainly lose the huge defense contracts that were snatched away from Plymouth in a coalition attempt to bribe the Jocks to vote for continued unity. They would be taking HUGE risks to cut themselves off from the prosperity of the UK economy which is the fastest growing economy in Western Europe at this moment.

One interesting thing though.... In a way I want Scottish independence..... why?..... Because it will all but wipe out the Labour Party.... I would love that.

A referendum in "Ulster" is extremely unlikely, but there might be one in Northern Ireland ;)

Scots run their own cushy benefits -- you can join the discussion here ;) ............

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/684081-scotland-to-become-independent-in-march-2016-if-referendum-passes/page-70#entry7933425

Every general election is effectively a vote on whether to be part of Britain or not, and the loyalist parties win. I don't have strong feelings on the matter of NI, but I am sure it isn't a case of the UK holding on against the will of the majority.. (Majority in NI, not Ireland as a whole).

• Like 1

Just waiting for the "Shetlands and Orkneys" to seek independance from Scotland, claiming the oil and gas as their birthright. That would make them financially secure, considering the size of their population. Wouldn't that be really something. How would Salmond explain that away ?

• Like 2

europa/ euro was forced onto many countries that did not want and there was no referendum ... even in some countries that had a negative referendum, it was overruled...

so go scottland, go

scotland need to go alone, forever being used as the governments guinea pig, and look at the utter clowns that keep getting in charge of Britain,.they are dragging scotland down.. Scotland have the possibility of being a rich country if they decide to be independent... AND stay out of the EU.... greedy cash grabbing union that wastes money on nothing good... A lot of people in scotland want to vote for independence, but cant stand Salmond...this is not about Salmond..this is about what is right for scotland..... and the right thing is to vote YES for independence

• Like 2

Your last paragraph, excellent, absolutely excellent. The best thing that could ever happen to the UK would be the lieing hypocritical Labour Party getting wiped out.

What utter nonsense! Scotland's economy is stronger than that of the rest of the UK. It puts more into the UK's exchequer than it takes out. The facts are out there if you care to look... Guess you're listening to the barefaced lies of Cameron & Osborne et al.

Yes you are right, but I would love to see the Labour Party completely wiped out. If the Scots don't vote for independence, which I believe they won't, I would like to see UKIP in charge. This coalition government are desperate to keep Scotland in the UK because as a previous poster said, they put more into the UK than they take out, and they keep telling lies about UKIP and discrediting them because of obvious reasons.

My twopence worth. The Scottish people are not as stupid as the polititions would make them out to be. They will not vote for independence.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's why they are stupid, can't think for themselves " My father voted Labour, so I must vote Labour". What a mentality.

scotland need to go alone, forever being used as the governments guinea pig, and look at the utter clowns that keep getting in charge of Britain,.they are dragging scotland down.. Scotland have the possibility of being a rich country if they decide to be independent... AND stay out of the EU.... greedy cash grabbing union that wastes money on nothing good... A lot of people in scotland want to vote for independence, but cant stand Salmond...this is not about Salmond..this is about what is right for scotland..... and the right thing is to vote YES for independence

A vote for independence is not a vote for Salmond, after independence, there should and probably will be other options.

• Like 2

Hooray!!!!! We're next.

220px-Flag_of_the_Ulster_Nation.svg.png

Behave Setanta biggrin.png

I bet you've got a lotta people googling "Setanta"

To hell with John Bull & 6 into 26 won't go!!

I had to google "egregious"

​But then it was a very appropriate word.

Nonsense. But I can see from your avatar why you believe that.

It's not about some romantic notion of an independent Scotland being a rich utopia and bastion of freedom. That's about as corny as a Mel Gibson film.

This is the modern world where strength through unity prevails. A United Kingdom is a better, stronger proposition than smaller states. Scotland and Scots have always played a full part in shaping and developing the UK - in military, politics, government, the arts, education, science and business. Many of the UK's rivals, inside and outside the EU would love to see a weaker UK. I'm sure Germany and France would. As would Russia. All would seek to inherit the upside in any weakening of the UK position and influence.

President Obama has formally called for Scotland to remain part of the UK and therefore is urging people to vote to remain in the UK. He's not doing this on the toss of a coin. He understand the big picture and how the world is evolving.

The thing that is ludicrous is Cameron allowing this to take place. Why should this referendum only be for Scotland? Why can Scotland decide to break up the Union unilaterally. There are 3 more countries in the Union and each should have the right to determine its fate.

Salmond, as you elude to, has his detractors as well as supporters. I always believe he's in it for himself. Wants to go down in history as the man who led Scotland to independence, was the first president or whatever and probably finishes up with some cushy EU type job for life. I'm sure a lot of people want to vote for independence, just as I'm sure a lot want to vote against it. For those in the margins, undecided swing voters, I hope they make the right decision for the right reasons. Based on the big picture and future generations, not some myopic notions fueled by romantic ideas or self interested politicians.

Nonsense. But I can see from your avatar why you believe that.

It's not about some romantic notion of an independent Scotland being a rich utopia and bastion of freedom. That's about as corny as a Mel Gibson film.

This is the modern world where strength through unity prevails. A United Kingdom is a better, stronger proposition than smaller states. Scotland and Scots have always played a full part in shaping and developing the UK - in military, politics, government, the arts, education, science and business. Many of the UK's rivals, inside and outside the EU would love to see a weaker UK. I'm sure Germany and France would. As would Russia. All would seek to inherit the upside in any weakening of the UK position and influence.

President Obama has formally called for Scotland to remain part of the UK and therefore is urging people to vote to remain in the UK. He's not doing this on the toss of a coin. He understand the big picture and how the world is evolving.

The thing that is ludicrous is Cameron allowing this to take place. Why should this referendum only be for Scotland? Why can Scotland decide to break up the Union unilaterally. There are 3 more countries in the Union and each should have the right to determine its fate.

Salmond, as you elude to, has his detractors as well as supporters. I always believe he's in it for himself. Wants to go down in history as the man who led Scotland to independence, was the first president or whatever and probably finishes up with some cushy EU type job for life. I'm sure a lot of people want to vote for independence, just as I'm sure a lot want to vote against it. For those in the margins, undecided swing voters, I hope they make the right decision for the right reasons. Based on the big picture and future generations, not some myopic notions fueled by romantic ideas or self interested politicians.

Do you seriously believe that a Hollywood movie is the drive behind the independence movement? Or is that just a way you have developed to demean this political debate?

Do you seriously hold that Cameron should not have allowed the referendum? Even though the Scottish electorate delivered a majority SNP government under a system that was devised to prevent parties ever forming a majority government?

Are you a democrat?

This garbage about Salmond - is he to be criticized for his driving ambition to see Scotland independent?

What is he supposed to do - apologize for pursuing his beliefs? Can you see how ridiculous your point is?

• Like 2