Patong taxi mafia ‘will be targeted soon’ as part of Phuket crackdown

Lite Beer

<snip>

I understand it was tried from Karon to Patong but the guy that started the service had some "bad luck".

Was not a 'baht bus' more like the regular local (cattle) bus. And the driver had the 'bad luck' to drive the route on the first day and was beaten almost to death by the taxi/tuk tuk thugs.

I'm sure such a "regular local (cattle) bus" run would evolve into a baht bus system, if allowed to.

There in, lays a big step towards gaining the western tourist market back, and saving lives on Phuket roads.

Remember, it's nothing special. It's only what other tourist destinations in Thailand have.

Why should Phuket have anything less, being a "World Class Tourist Destination" and all? biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if Thaksin gets back into power, the corruption will return.

Are you being ironic ?? Corruption has always existed here regardless of Thaksin or not........it`s not like Thailand was the Land Of Smile with smiling,honest and gentle,hard working,non-violent buddhist before he came to power coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I'm sure such a "regular local (cattle) bus" run would evolve into a baht bus system, if allowed to.

There in, lays a big step towards gaining the western tourist market back, and saving lives on Phuket roads.

Remember, it's nothing special. It's only what other tourist destinations in Thailand have.

Why should Phuket have anything less, being a "World Class Tourist Destination" and all? biggrin.png

For once I am fully with you on this one. If by some miracle a Baht Bus would evolve across the popular beach areas of Phuket then what a boost that would be to Phuket's appeal, For sure not a 10 baht or even 20 baht fare. Might need to be 40 baht day or night for the entire length of the route. If the powers in charge were not so short sighted to get the quick baht today, then maybe they could see the longer term financial benifits. But I will continue to dream on.

• Like 1

For once I am fully with you on this one. If by some miracle a Baht Bus would evolve across the popular beach areas of Phuket then what a boost that would be to Phuket's appeal, For sure not a 10 baht or even 20 baht fare. Might need to be 40 baht day or night for the entire length of the route. If the powers in charge were not so short sighted to get the quick baht today, then maybe they could see the longer term financial benifits. But I will continue to dream on.

"For once I am fully with you on this one." - what do you mean, "for once?" smile.png We have agreed many times before, you just haven't realised it. smile.png

Seriously, yes, with transport currently costing more than food and drinks on a night out, and in some cases, accommodation for a night, it's got beyond a joke, to the point where it has started to effect tourism on Phuket.

Yeh, yeh, yeh - I hear it, "but tourist numbers are up." They may very well be, but they are package holiday makers from emerging economies, and they do not put a lot of money into the local economy.

I am sure a proper public transport system, even if it's baht buses, will go a long way to bringing back the western tourist market to Phuket, and that will increase the flow of money into the Phuket economey, similar to what the island had in the past.

I understand it was tried from Karon to Patong but the guy that started the service had some "bad luck".

Was not a 'baht bus' more like the regular local (cattle) bus. And the driver had the 'bad luck' to drive the route on the first day and was beaten almost to death by the taxi/tuk tuk thugs.

Yep that sure is bad luck!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Destruction of Patong taxi booths underway
Phuket Gazette - June 6, 2014 | 06:21 PM

1_20146618146984_bxsyTszGxBGIQwEcwNDGOBG

PHUKET: The destruction of 16 taxi booths in Patong is currently underway.

Starting at 3pm this afternoon, Patong Police, officers from the Patong Municipality and volunteers began to tear down taxi booths throughout Patong.

— Saran Mitrarat - See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Destruction-Patong-taxi-booths-underway/

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-06-06

The taxi mafia, in all its forms across Thailand, really pisses me off. It's not even about the cost, I just need to get where I'm going without the bullshit. I routinely tip taxi drivers who run the meter, drive safely, act decently, and don't blast Thai music, football, or talk radio at me... on the RARE occasions that I encounter such a driver.

But recently, I have found a solution that I'd like to share with my TVF brethren... At least the ones in Bangkok anyway. The solutions is just four letters my friends... UBER!!!

I hope this doesn't violate any forum rules as a business promotion, so I'll start by saying I have NO connection with the company other than as a new and exceedingly happy customer...

UBER operates in a variety of countries (I think it started in the US?) and has recently launched in Bangkok. You can download the UBER app from your appstore and register.

You need a ride? Open the app, request a pickup (uses your phones GPS location), and they show you where their cars are and how long it will take to get to you. (I've never seen more than 15 minutes, usually less than 10) The app sends you the drivers name, picture and license plate number. You get picked up, on time, in a nice car (New Camry or better...) by a driver who will take you where you want to go with no BS and no complaining.

The cost is roughly twice what you would pay for a regular taxi, but you get picked up at your door, with courteous chauffeur like service (well dressed driver, usually decent english, holding door open for you), no hassles, a bottle of water waiting, and it is automatically billed to your credit card. You can tip in cash if you wish...

Following the ride, the driver rates you as a customer and you rate him as a driver... keeping everyone on their best behavior.

I'm a VERY happy customer because I don't have to deal with the taxi bozos in Bangkok anymore. I want this company to be wildly successful and expand to other cities to help break the back of these greedy taxi mafia fools.

Totally agree, I use it in a few different cities in Aus and the US, it's a great app. Plan on using it in Bangkok in August.

Just now , 15 to 20 army personell double that number in police ripping down the tuk tuk stand in kalim nr to baan rim pa opposite the hotel

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by N47HAN
  • Like 2

Brilliant. Maybe the general could endorse such a great idea while he is in Phuket?

Why farangs on this island hold together and open there own taxi company's?
I did not found and collecting taxi from beach to other beach
When everyone sit alone in the car everybody pay high price
Now are many taxi apps avalible
Everybody can drive a car can join, it not must be a taxi it can be every car
Every driver can enter in the app
Where and when he drive, and iPhone locate over GPS the nearest one!
In Europe this system works well!

Destruction of Patong taxi booths underway

Phuket Gazette - June 6, 2014 | 06:21 PM

1_20146618146984_bxsyTszGxBGIQwEcwNDGOBG

PHUKET: The destruction of 16 taxi booths in Patong is currently underway.

Starting at 3pm this afternoon, Patong Police, officers from the Patong Municipality and volunteers began to tear down taxi booths throughout Patong.

— Saran Mitrarat - See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Destruction-Patong-taxi-booths-underway/

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2014-06-06

Where can I volunteer to help.....smile.png

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

The phuket campaign is having a good flow on effect in other areas. A tout at the Bridge in Nong Khai tried to get me to pay 100 baht for the 50 baht trip to a guesthouse. I expressed my disgust with several colourful terms but it wasn't until I said he was just "taxi Mafia" and I would complain to the police that the smirk disappeared from his face and he suddenly became very helpful finding me a tuk tuk for just 50 baht.

The phuket campaign is having a good flow on effect in other areas. A tout at the Bridge in Nong Khai tried to get me to pay 100 baht for the 50 baht trip to a guesthouse. I expressed my disgust with several colourful terms but it wasn't until I said he was just "taxi Mafia" and I would complain to the police that the smirk disappeared from his face and he suddenly became very helpful finding me a tuk tuk for just 50 baht.

You can't even get into the back of a tuk-tuk on Phuket for less than 200 baht. biggrin.png