Patong taxi mafia ‘will be targeted soon’ as part of Phuket crackdown

Lite Beer

All good stuff. More power to the new broom. Let's hope he is fair dinkum. However, don't just clean out the riff raff. Set up the same taxi meter licensing that exits in many other Thai cities. Provide an alternative, or the market will just drive customers back into the hands of illegal taxis.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully a short term problem, but the price of a taxi from Surin to Patong went UP by 100 baht yesterday as soon as the taxi stands we're removed. Drivers will not go to Hotels for pick ups as they are scared that the mafia are watching, nor will tuk tuks who have never been able to pick up because of threats from the taxi rank members.

Let's all hope this is for real and not the usual lip service.

It's very real to those he has had arrested.

He seems to have the attitude that he doesn't care who they think they are if they're involved they're out on their ear or worse

This seems to be the first occation, in a very long time, when other parts of the Thailand wish to copy something from Phuket to their environments.

For others: Sorry, but we might be a bit selfish with these guys and will keep them here for a while before we let them to visit to other locations smile.png

The Thai Army should stay on Phuket until there is a free market, with independent drivers, in private taxis and metered taxis are allowed to operate in the tourist areas, and a baht bus system with a hop-on/hop-off flat fare, in the land transport industry here.

The trouble is, no other drivers and their vehicles are ready to roll, with the Army's protection, as no one was expecting the Thai Army to come here and take such action against the industry.

The arrest of Keesin and his son will be vital to any change here.

If the Army tells Keesin's son, "Tell your tuk-tuks to drive around like baht buses, like in Pattaya, or you will go to gaol." Then, they might have fixed a lot of the problem up, once and for all, not to mention the countless lives it would save here, in the future.

Keesin's son may argue 10 baht is not enough, so it may be 20 baht to hop-on/hop-off, but they need to take the power away from the drivers that collude to rip off the tourists with ridiculous pricing by Thai standards.

Edited by NamKangMan

Well, the way he talks about the local politicians certainly suggests he is no friend of theirs, which gives at least some hope. I think 99% of Phuket will love this guy if he really does as he says, the remaining 1% being taxi drivers, local politicians and their families.

Also, I really hope they get Pian Keesin and his son. They both belong in prison - forever!

• Like 1

All good stuff. More power to the new broom. Let's hope he is fair dinkum. However, don't just clean out the riff raff. Set up the same taxi meter licensing that exits in many other Thai cities. Provide an alternative, or the market will just drive customers back into the hands of illegal taxis.

"Set up the same taxi meter licensing that exits in many other Thai cities." - that's all I have ever said on this forum.

I have advocated that Phuket have nothing more, but certainly nothing less, than other Thai tourist areas.

For years, Phuket has had no proper public transport, yet is advertised as a "World Class Tourist Destination."

They want "high end tourists" to come here, and expect them to deal with criminal tuk-tuk drivers for a short journey back to their hotel because there are no air conditioned metered taxis.

Well, it hasn't been working for Phuket, as we have seen a big drop in the traditional western market here in recent times who are not going to pay higher prices for a lower standard of service and infastructure.

I don't think anyone expects to come to Phuket and see a tram (see other thread running) but I think they do expect to see metered taxis that you get it, tell the driver your destination, he turns the meter on, winds up the windows, turns the air conditioner on, and drives off.

Perhaps they can do the aiport next where similar problems have existed in the past and fees still remain twice as much as Bangkok. 750 Baht to Kamala is extor

Even the metered cabs are more expensive in Phuket and Samui than BKK. Do the taxis in Phuket and Samui run on gas as the ones in BKK do. As far as I am aware they do not which is part of the reason for price differences.

Does it really matter what the taxi runs on if they charge you 400 baht for a 2-3 km ride?

The taxis always claim life and gas/petrol in Phuket/Samui is more expensive, hence prices should be higher - and that is true. However, say life is 50% more expensive, then prices should be 50% higher right, not 500% higher!

If they took a Bangkok meter, added 50% to the price, then everyone should be happy, but the taxi's will never agree to that, unless the army tells them to agree!

• Like 1

any news on the promised busses? are they in use ?

What buses are you talking about? We have airport buses from airport to Phuket Town and Patong. Buses that run around Phuket Town. Buses from beaches to Phuket Town. But no inter beach service.

any news on the promised busses? are they in use ?

What buses are you talking about? We have airport buses from airport to Phuket Town and Patong. Buses that run around Phuket Town. Buses from beaches to Phuket Town. But no inter beach service.

"But no inter beach service." - and this is what is so badly needed on Phuket, and not some token system that stops at 10pm, for example. A system that gets intoxicated people off their motorbikes and back to the the vicinity of their accommodation, at a reasonable price.

Also, buses from Phuket Town to the main beaches, for Thai staff.

Edited by NamKangMan

The taxi mafia, in all its forms across Thailand, really pisses me off. It's not even about the cost, I just need to get where I'm going without the bullshit. I routinely tip taxi drivers who run the meter, drive safely, act decently, and don't blast Thai music, football, or talk radio at me... on the RARE occasions that I encounter such a driver.

But recently, I have found a solution that I'd like to share with my TVF brethren... At least the ones in Bangkok anyway. The solutions is just four letters my friends... UBER!!!

I hope this doesn't violate any forum rules as a business promotion, so I'll start by saying I have NO connection with the company other than as a new and exceedingly happy customer...

UBER operates in a variety of countries (I think it started in the US?) and has recently launched in Bangkok. You can download the UBER app from your appstore and register.

You need a ride? Open the app, request a pickup (uses your phones GPS location), and they show you where their cars are and how long it will take to get to you. (I've never seen more than 15 minutes, usually less than 10) The app sends you the drivers name, picture and license plate number. You get picked up, on time, in a nice car (New Camry or better...) by a driver who will take you where you want to go with no BS and no complaining.

The cost is roughly twice what you would pay for a regular taxi, but you get picked up at your door, with courteous chauffeur like service (well dressed driver, usually decent english, holding door open for you), no hassles, a bottle of water waiting, and it is automatically billed to your credit card. You can tip in cash if you wish...

Following the ride, the driver rates you as a customer and you rate him as a driver... keeping everyone on their best behavior.

I'm a VERY happy customer because I don't have to deal with the taxi bozos in Bangkok anymore. I want this company to be wildly successful and expand to other cities to help break the back of these greedy taxi mafia fools.

• Like 2

If this sterling work continues successfully it may be a turning point for Thailand, but given what we know about mafia types I would advise him but one thing:

Hey, Serpico, watch your back.

Fingers crossed for him, hope he makes headway.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why farangs on this island hold together and open there own taxi company's?
I did not found and collecting taxi from beach to other beach
When everyone sit alone in the car everybody pay high price
Now are many taxi apps avalible
Everybody can drive a car can join, it not must be a taxi it can be every car
Every driver can enter in the app
Where and when he drive, and iPhone locate over GPS the nearest one!
In Europe this system works well!

The pitfalls of using Google translate

No I not use this programm anymore!

Maybe we should open a website

Posted telephone number of how nest taxi driver!

Sorted by region!i have a lot of them

Ask for the phone number all the time

And when I came back , most of them waiting at the same place! And don't forget the free taxi pickup of hotels or restaurants! Before I support fake taxis I invest the money in good food and let me pickup free espasaly in exoensive areas like Phuket!

Nice of the police to warn them they're coming.

Also nice to see that the police are on buddy, buddy and informal terms with the corrupt officials and taxi mafia leaders.

Why don`t the nice police people just invite them round for a beer and a chat to discuss the situation and have done with it?

Nothing will come out of this, just a load of hot air blowing in the wind unless the military are prepared to go in with all guns blazing and chase the lot away.

The taxi and tuk tuk issues in Phuket is the main reason we have chosen to holiday elsewhere.

I am very pleased when I leave having avoided the scams.

Shuttle bus service from the airport and local taxi with fair price negotiate to get back to the airport. The rest of the time we use the local buses avoiding the local scams.

Pattaya on the other hand has a great baht bus service and a similar system would work on the entire west coast of Phuket.

I understand it was tried from Karon to Patong but the guy that started the service had some "bad luck".

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Edited by Bunter

Need open ASAP for Meter Taxi in Patong, and in short time as possibble get this pick up buses ,Bath buses they have in Pattaya , fase out the Tuk tuk scammers one by one,, send them to where they came from , jail the former major and his son up in a jail in BBK .

• Like 1

The taxi mafia, in all its forms across Thailand, really pisses me off. It's not even about the cost, I just need to get where I'm going without the bullshit. I routinely tip taxi drivers who run the meter, drive safely, act decently, and don't blast Thai music, football, or talk radio at me... on the RARE occasions that I encounter such a driver.

But recently, I have found a solution that I'd like to share with my TVF brethren... At least the ones in Bangkok anyway. The solutions is just four letters my friends... UBER!!!

I hope this doesn't violate any forum rules as a business promotion, so I'll start by saying I have NO connection with the company other than as a new and exceedingly happy customer...

UBER operates in a variety of countries (I think it started in the US?) and has recently launched in Bangkok. You can download the UBER app from your appstore and register.

You need a ride? Open the app, request a pickup (uses your phones GPS location), and they show you where their cars are and how long it will take to get to you. (I've never seen more than 15 minutes, usually less than 10) The app sends you the drivers name, picture and license plate number. You get picked up, on time, in a nice car (New Camry or better...) by a driver who will take you where you want to go with no BS and no complaining.

The cost is roughly twice what you would pay for a regular taxi, but you get picked up at your door, with courteous chauffeur like service (well dressed driver, usually decent english, holding door open for you), no hassles, a bottle of water waiting, and it is automatically billed to your credit card. You can tip in cash if you wish...

Following the ride, the driver rates you as a customer and you rate him as a driver... keeping everyone on their best behavior.

I'm a VERY happy customer because I don't have to deal with the taxi bozos in Bangkok anymore. I want this company to be wildly successful and expand to other cities to help break the back of these greedy taxi mafia fools.

Yes, UBER is an excellent system, and if it's working in Bangkok there is no reason it couldn't work on Phuket. The rates I have seen in the states were comparable to a standard taxi...maybe 10% more, but no BS.

The message is spreading far and wide. The TM in Nong Khai tried their normal over charge from the Bridge but I accused him of being TM and threatened to call the police he backed down very smartly.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Kathu police prepare to raid more illegal taxi ranks in Patong
Eakkapop Thongtub

1402054947_1-org.jpg

Kathu police get ready to raid illegal Patong taxi ranks. Photo: Ekapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Kathu police along with other officials have assembled local operators and residents to 'create understanding' in anticipation to raiding 16 illegal taxi ranks in Patong.

The raids are part of a Royal Thai Police crackdown to eradicate the influence of the transport mafia on the island.

Stay tuned for more updates.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/kathu-police-prepare-to-raid-more-illegal-taxi-ranks-in-patong-46715.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-06-06

• Like 1