Thai tourism agency bidding for return of foreign tourists ahead of high season

webfact

I think Thailand is one of the safest travel destinations now the military is in charge .

The Thais are scared sh**less of doing wrong because there is a new sherrif in town that actually arrests Hi So and Lo So if they do any wrong .

Many people outside of Thailand are getting un-censored news and are staying away.

They're getting scare mongering and sensationalism, not "uncensored news".

For all the gloom and doom in the international media and Embassy Alerts, I have not personally seen a single incident related to the military actions that would cause tourists any alarm.

Nor have I read a credible story, or even heard one through our company's very extensive grapevine that would cause me any concern about my own safety related to the coup.

I Agree fully, the west is using this opportunity in an attempt to drive Thailand into the mud for their own sinister agenda. What is also alarming is those TV members who not only agree with the gutter politics by America and its sniveling puppet countries like Australia, but also try to sensationalise it further because their beloved fugitive criminal and his party have been appropriately screwed.

Complete and utter rubbish.

Thailand is under military rule and the consequences that go with it. And basically in addition to the "west" just about every country in Asia has warned off their citizens, what is their agenda?

" "TAT is asking the government for an extra budget. If granted, we should adjust arrivals up to 25.9 million, or about 300,000 more tourists," he said."

TAT isn't doing too well with their substantial budget so far. Planning street concerts and the likes will not bring Europeans and Americans to the Kingdom.

"TAT also expects that the military government would hold a general election or establish an interim government within 150 days so it would ease the worries from outsiders."

The junta will do reforms before elections. TAT thinks that can all be done in 150 days???? Where does the guy come from?

Born in Phetchaburi province, Thailand, of course. The real question is: where is he coming from? With the extra budget is he going to pay tourists to come to Thailand? I'm sure, like just about everyone these days, he is only following orders.

Edited by MaxYakov

Many people outside of Thailand are getting un-censored news and are staying away.

For all the gloom and doom in the international media and Embassy Alerts, I have not personally seen a single incident related to the military actions that would cause tourists any alarm.

Nor have I read a credible story, or even heard one through our company's very extensive grapevine that would cause me any concern about my own safety related to the coup.

I Agree fully, the west is using this opportunity in an attempt to drive Thailand into the mud for their own sinister agenda. What is also alarming is those TV members who not only agree with the gutter politics by America and its sniveling puppet countries like Australia, but also try to sensationalise it further because their beloved fugitive criminal and his party have been appropriately screwed.

Thailand is under military rule and the consequences that go with it. And basically in addition to the "west" just about every country in Asia has warned off their citizens, what is their agenda?

Thailand under the coup is safer than it was since November of last year until the period preceding the coup.

However, why should tourists put up with 1) curfews (even if they have been lifted in a few places) 2) a military presence on the streets that might make them feel uneasy or uncomfortable 3) restrictions on free expression 4) uncertainty about whether it's safe to come or not

when there are so many other countries to choose from, without all these things?

Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc. have everything that Thailand does (well Laos doesn't have beaches though lol) so what makes Thailand that much better?! Sorry, but that is an absurd and even arrogant attitude often expressed more by expats than Thais themselves. Those other countries I have mentioned and there are nearly 200 other countries in the world or let's say about another 150 or so leaving out the obvious dangerous ones that are worth visiting so what makes Thailand so special? I can't think of much except for sex and cheap drinks, but Thailand isn't the only place where you can find these things.

Thailand can certainly keep promoting tourism. But no one is forced to come to Thailand and everyone has the right to express their opinions as to where they want to travel to. Although it's not helpful that western countries are so anti-coup as to discourage travel to Thailand mainly due to the coup, which does sound like those countries have a definite anti-military government agenda. At the end of the day, it's still up to informed individuals as to what they end up doing or where they end up going on holidays. No government (except maybe North Korea) can prevent it's citizens from travelling to another country, even if it's deemed as dangerous.

And Australia, the USA and other western countries and even China, Hong Kong etc. have long recommended for their citizens to take a high degree of caution when traveling to Thailand due to a variety of reasons. Southern Thailand, including not just the 3 southernmost provinces but all of Songkhla are now seen as "too dangerous" by the Australian government to travel to. Yes, even Songkhla, including Hat Yai, which I disagree with, given that most travellers who pass through there are on their way to/from Malaysia. The Australian government also still warns of dangers near the Thai-Myanmar border (essentially quoting the entire length of the 2000km border as "dangerous"), when in fact it is safer now than in years. It took them until May 27 to figure out that 4 Thai-Myanmar border checkpoints have opened for proper overland travel since August of last year, if in possession of a Myanmar visa going into Myanmar (but of course they recommend not going overland at all, never mind the fact that the reason these checkpoints opened up is because security has improved otherwise the Myanmar government wouldn't allow tourists to use them). And then the clerk who wrote up the travel advice was too lazy to even check the spelling of "Sunarong" a town originally quoted in a Burmese news source notorious for inaccurate information, and a town whose name doesn't exist. It's "Phu Nam Ron" idiot.

As of 2 June, 62 countries have issued travel warning with only 13 being Asian countries. Considering that there are 45 Asian countries in total, would you not concede that your incorrect statement does the opposite of your required result of trying to ridicule when in actual fact all you did is embarrass yourself.

If you want to voice your alleged superior knowledge, may I suggest you check your facts first.

You have a nice day now.

As of 2 June, 62 countries have issued travel warning with only 13 being Asian countries. Considering that there are 45 Asian countries in total, would you not concede that your incorrect statement does the opposite of your required result of trying to ridicule when in actual fact all you did is embarrass yourself.

If you want to voice your alleged superior knowledge, may I suggest you check your facts first.

You have a nice day now.

Not at all embarrassed. I would have been if I had come up with a statement that said something like:

"I Agree fully, the west is using this opportunity in an attempt to drive Thailand into the mud for their own sinister agenda."

But there you go each to his own.

And you, have a really really nice day. Sorry, maybe that sounds a little patronizing?

This means bargains for local expats. Great

Once you have been here for a while, you will notice that most Thais reaction to less customers is to put prices up.

It's called Thai logic. Fewer customers mean less revenue. SO to make up the short fall they rise prices. Kinna doubt it works though. Of course, I am no Thai buisnessman, so I cannot say for sure it doesn't work. cheesy.gif

Maybe the TAT has forgotten that the world cup starts in Brazil next week and many people have booked tickets to go watch the footy in Brazil and also lots of cheap hookers over there.

TAT also expects that the military government would hold a general election or establish an interim government within 150 days so it would ease the worries from outsiders.

This guy must be living on a different planet. The military have already stated 12 to 15 months before new elections can be held. In addition to being from a different planet, he also, apparantly, does not keep up with current affairs.

TAT also expects that the military government would hold a general election or establish an interim government within 150 days so it would ease the worries from outsiders.

This guy must be living on a different planet. The military have already stated 12 to 15 months before new elections can be held. In addition to being from a different planet, he also, apparantly, does not keep up with current affairs.

Interim government. Remember,almost what Suthep wanted?

That is what is coming next and sooner rather than later,unelected persons in a pre selected government.

It would just look a little more respectable than a military occupation, simply a change of name.The main players are likely to stay the same.

Once you have been here for a while, you will notice that most Thais reaction to less customers is to put prices up.

That's why I stay in the 5 stars

You never leave the hotel?

A "fam trip" is a travel industry junket in which foreign travel agents and writers from the travel trade media are invited to a destination and then wined, dined and otherwise induced to improve the image of the destination in question. Destinations with good reputations and healthy advertising budgets don't really need fam trips, but may use them anyway. The destinations that need fam trios are the ones that have image problems due to wars, epidemics, crime, natural disasters and political upheavels

Take South Africa - a fabulous destination, with much to offer, but also one with a major crime problem, and also the handicap of being in a bad neighborhood - Africa. Geographically challenged tourists will hear about an Ebola epidemic in the Congo and cancel their trip to South Africa, for example. The travel writer's job is to educate the travek industry about the realities of a given destination - but without being critical,since he or she is a guest. My own specialty as a travel writer was to go to destinations in Latin America and Africa that Americans were afraid to go - cool places like Brazil, Haiti, Central America and all of Africa. I always had a great time, and enjoyed the adventure. Sometimes the Tourism Minister of a country would ask me for advice on which US market to focus on, because the US market is huge and very diverse. I would try to be as helpful as possible by being honest regarding the strengths and weaknesses of the destination in private - and then write as flattering an article as I could.

The problem with Thailand is that the decision makers never ask, and are not interested in hearing anyone else's opinion, and now it is worse than ever. No one is permitted to say anything critical about the junta or the coup, so it is impossible to discuss the effect it is having on tourism. However, anyone who pays attention to the foreign press is well aware of the massive bad publicity recently; some in Bangkok dismiss all the bad media coverage as being due to a lack of " understanding of Thainess" on the part of BBC, CNN, WSJ, NY Times, THE ECONOMIST, the FT , and some even say that the exiled former PM Mr. T has "bought" the major foreign media organizations. This is nonsense, and hardly constructive.

If Thailand wishes to have a sustainable tourism industry, the country will have to learn to treat foreign journalists with respect, and not induldge in ad hominem attacks whenever there is criticism. The bottom line is that there are many other destinations interested in desirable up-market Western tourists, and these tourists will go elsewhere when they feel unappreciated or even unwanted because rude Thais say vile things about Secretary Kerry or Ambassador Kenny, or whomever.

"The plan starts with a fam trip bringing about 1,000 travel and blog writers from around the world to Thailand to see the situation here for themselves."

Whats a 'fam trip'. I thought it said farm at first, 1000 writers on a farm trip, sounds like hell to me.

That's why I stay in the 5 stars

You never leave the hotel?

No. I'm still in the room. It's been 17 years now

If one searches for common sense and reasoning here, one can get very frustrated indeed.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have been on a few flights recently for work. All flights to BKK have had very few passengers and many have been cancelled.

Look here

http://suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/3-passenger-arrivals

My company has been working in Thailand for many years and they are scheduling most meetings in HCMC where they used to always meet here.

You're right. Where are all these tourists that they are talking about? My dad remarked recently about the lack of tourists, particularly westerners in MBK, which is normally filled with foreigners. He also mentioned how few people were on the plane, including his flights to/from China, a large source of inbound tourists. Also getting through immigration has been a breeze recently - he would disembark from the plane and be on the 4th floor departures waiting for me to pick him up within 15-20 minutes. As I can also distinguish between Asian tourists, I have also noticed the lack of Asian tourists too. There were a few westerners, an Ethiopian or Eritrean family, a few Chinese and Malaysians but the majority of people in MBK last week were Thai, which is quite odd as normally MBK is packed with foreigners. But whether Thai or foreign, there were less than half the usual visitor numbers to MBK and this was after the curfew was changed to 12am-4am.

Where are all these 25 million tourists? I certainly haven't seen that many of them. Went to Koh Chang about a month ago, and passed through Pattaya to pick up some friends earlier that same day. There were tourists in both places, but they weren't exactly packed. Ao Nang, Krabi had quite a few visitors mainly from southern Thailand and Malaysia and a few Russians back in late April/early May, but that was probably due to the May Day holidays. I remember back in 2005 or so when TAT claimed to be receiving 12-13 million tourists a year, there appeared to be far more tourists than these days. So why does TAT keep claiming that there are more tourists coming every year and despite all the political troubles, there are supposedly TWICE as many tourists these days than back in 2005, before all this trouble started?

Someone is making up figures here, I don't believe all this crap (probably they are counting people like me who have made multiple re-entries as new "tourists" and every expat on a business trip coming back is probably also counted as a new "tourist"). I am writing from Cambodia and western tourists are here in large numbers - in fact, I am seeing more tourists here than I saw in downtown Bangkok a few days ago. Clearly travellers aren't going to Thailand, particularly Bangkok right now. A few overlanders are landing there and then immediately catching buses overland to Cambodia. In fact I have met a few tourists from places like the states in Cambodia, who only went to Thailand for one day on the way to Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos and back. One of these travelers has never even been to Asia before now but was happy enough travelling in Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam rather than Thailand. She is not that keen on traveling to Thailand again and certainly doesn't think it has more to offer than neighboring countries. Of course she was counted as 2 "quality tourists" despite only spending half a day or so in Bangkok in both directions to catch her flights.

These figures do seem a little "plump". Flew from Singapore to BKK two weeks ago, and the flight was more than half empty. I stayed in a five star hotel (which is usually fully booked) on the river, and it was deserted; the staff told me they were only 20% full (a wild inflation I think). On my flight to CM, there were multiple rows of empty seats and people were laying down in them....they didn't even hold people to their assigned seats, it was basically a free for all.

The one place I could honestly say was quite busy was Siam Paragon, but tourists seemed few and far between.