Old farts get fresh with new music....

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting, thanks for the effort, not much cutting edge stuff there, but an interesting journey.

love the funki porcini, and riders is a trance classic, but dated in its own right.

there is a sad absence of house music, but ill forgive you that because you excluded edm entirely. for that i thank you.

Edited by HooHaa

there is a sad absence of house music, but ill forgive you that because you excluded edm entirely. for that i thank you.

Just a quick come back on omissions: didn't do EDM 'cos I felt the topic would have gone on forever. Also why I barely covered trip-hop which is a fave genre of mine, though I'm a bit out of touch with it since the early to mid noughties.

I tried to steer as close to guitar rock influenced stuff as possible because I figured the guys I was addressing would be most open to that as a basis for exploration.

House hmmm? How about something current that bridges house with rock?

TODD TERJE - Johnny And Mary (feat Bryan Ferry)

Wasn't trying to be cutting edge btw, just presenting some food for thought that hopefully doesn't alienate.

Here's a great tune for playing along with one's travel videos haha....

Sean Bay feat. Antonia Lucas - Leave This World Behind

• Like 1

Thanks for that. So far, I have only listened to Slow Bird, but I like the first song so much, that I will check out more of your recommendations. I loved music from the 60-90s, but don't hear a lot of good new stuff these days.

Sorry but I tuned out after the first few paragraphs, must be getting old and lack of concentration.

I just hate stuff that thumps your ear drums to the point of going deaf ! Just dont see any enjoyment in that.

But then I'm an old fart, but will listen if the bass is reasonable and its not so damn repetative.

I clicked on the last vid offered by the op, Sean Bay feat. Antonia Lucas, that illustrates perfectly why so many rejct new music, it is so generic with it's programed drum beats and synth everything... just commercial crap. One newer band from Iceland is pretty good... Of Monsters and Men, real music made by real people.... it is a big world with plenty of great stuff coming out of Africa, Brazil, and the US.

• Like 1

Whilst there's a lot of modern music worth listening to, I think you missed the point of that other tread you allude to.

None of the new music (and I mean new not remixes of old classics) can evoke the memories associated with many of the numbers on that tread.

It is pure nostalgy, and granted a lot of those numers suffer from sound problems due to the technology of that time, but the memories remain fresh and clear, and that what's it all about.

As for example "Memories" by Gladys Knight still brings tears to my eye's as I associated it with a traumatic period in my life.

Another example is "I am I said" by Neil Diamond, it was only after I had lived in Thailand for a year that I truly understood what he was trying to say.

Anyway as for the samples you posted whilst having merrits and some easy listening they are not my cup of tea, but thanks anyway.

Yermanee wai.gif

Thanks Squeegee for that long post, you have really made an effort to educate TV rockers, hippies and 50s lovers about various modern artists in the music world. In a thread a few weeks ago I actually requested some modern recommendations to widen my musical catalogue.

I tried, I really did, I listened to every track you linked to, but the foot wasn't tapping on the faster ones and I couldn't find any memorable tunes with the slower ones.

For me a song need a verse and chorus, perhaps a bridge, and essentially a good tune to move me.

For rock there's the added excitement of dynamic rhythms and skilful guitar playing, if applied in moderation, great rock can keep its lovers feeling young well beyond their years and an additional bonus of guitar based music is every music lover can attempt to play a song themselves.

Enclosed are 2 examples of music that always rejuvenate me, one is an irresistible foot tapper and the other is a beautiful melody with a wonderful voice.

• Like 1

Woah, I didn't realize anyone had replied to this since my last post. Thanks guys for the feedback. For now I think it best I don't respond too directly to replies along the lines of something based on subjective tastes, like what one does or doesn't find one's foot tapping to, just because a debate on something so subjective would bound to be never-ending and there is no true solution to such a discussion.

It can be fun to have that discussion, you know, like old vs new music or whatever, but really the focus of this topic is to promote new strands of music (since the year 2000) to anyone open-minded enough to give it a chance.

And as much as I'd rather stay on topic, I cannot stop myself from saying that old tune Gypsy Rider by Gene Clark is sheer, utter class. It's art like that that makes life worthwhile. You should post it in the other thread (in fact, I should be over there posting too....)

Meanwhile, this feedback has made me see where this topic should be heading. I realize there may be many who try out something here and decide it's not for them. In a way, I am not doing post-2000 music justice by just trying to win people over, posting stuff I hope won't alienate too much when in truth that would be impossible for everyone.

Therefore, I'm also going to post some stuff that makes no apologies for what it is: equally worthy art that is every bit as great as anything else, if not so easy to get into for some people. Also, links to whole albums is probably necessary to take full advantage of what this topic is trying to do.

Anyway, here's a few more, starting with a sweet and simple tune from a great up and coming dream-pop band....

now, now - school friends

You have a girlfriend but she's not your girlfriend
She's just your friend for the night
You'll have a new one in the morning
She'll have really pretty eyes

She'll be invisible like you want her
She'll try to do everything just right for you
[ Lyrics from:
You have a girlfriend but she's not your girlfriend
You just like her where she's at
And you'll thank her for the things she bought you
Then you'll go on your way

She'll be invisible like you want her
She won't go to class, but she'll sleep in your bed
And the next day when you chase the other girl
She'll remember all the things you said to her

Some chill....

French Teen Idol - Ode To A Departing Friend

Some lounge....

kraak & smaak danse macabre

Into the psyche....

Shpongle - Mentalism

Wake up grandad...!

Messer fur Frau Muller - the Best Girl in UssR

Next post by me in on this thread will be a bit different, so until next time....

Sharon Van Etten - Don't Do It

Edited by Squeegee
  • Like 1

Several issues here. I don't hear anything new in this music, I can pick up riffs and melodies from 60/70's music. Secondly what made the 60/70's music great was that most of it had a message. We were fighting the establishment, social norms, Vietnam was happening, drugs etc.

Music was really the only means of getting a message across then, other than writing a book. Music today doesn't have that conviction, where are the great musicians? People today mostly listen to music as a background track to their life while sport stars are the new rock stars.

Unfortunately the World doesn't have much to say anymore because the establishment won and the present generation would never put their liberty at risk. They are all Smart Phone Zombies.

So much music was made in the 60/70's it's just about impossible to hear it all.

• Like 1

Several issues here. I don't hear anything new in this music, I can pick up riffs and melodies from 60/70's music. Secondly what made the 60/70's music great was that most of it had a message. We were fighting the establishment, social norms, Vietnam was happening, drugs etc.

Music was really the only means of getting a message across then, other than writing a book. Music today doesn't have that conviction, where are the great musicians? People today mostly listen to music as a background track to their life while sport stars are the new rock stars.

Unfortunately the World doesn't have much to say anymore because the establishment won and the present generation would never put their liberty at risk. They are all Smart Phone Zombies.

So much music was made in the 60/70's it's just about impossible to hear it all.

Well I guess I was being naive in thinking I could get away with not having some kind of debate, as there are some important issues to address if I am to stand up for those of us who haven't lost the ability to truly be 'young at heart', rather than claiming to be so when really it's just a case of having joie de vivre whilst being stuck on endless repeat.

Hi ATF. I hope you won't take too much offense at my response to your post. It's nothing personal, I don't know you and am reacting only to the meaning in the words as they were written and then replying towards 'you' as a way to address whoever is out there as I rant and rave. Please forgive me that as it's nothing directed personally to you.

So before I fully respond to the criticisms and observations of modern music in that post I must first define my position, following on from the original post.

Remember back home on those early evening localized news programs on TV? In the UK we would have a heart-warming 'magazine' section of London Today or Central News, and it might contain a report on some event at a local old folks home....

Just look at the old timers still jiving to those old pre- or post- War War II dance hall big band numbers or whatever....

They would be described as being young at heart as they did those old moves to some dancing style that was current back in the day, but really they were not young at heart, as I described in the OP, and here I want to point out they were actually displaying joie de vivre.

Generations come and go and now the old folks home is Pattaya and those moves are tapping the foot and 'still rockin' to the old favourites just like that previous generation, but just like that previous generation these people are no longer living in the present or defining the future. That, as already mentioned, is what the truly young at heart - (mostly) the young themselves - do.

It's possible to be young at heart whilst most of the rest of the body is getting old by continuing to develop as a human being and living in the present. I would imagine older people still develop themselves in very many ways, not just through music, but new music is the subject at hand.

So judging by the quoted post I would not say that is being young at heart, even if the person still has joie de vivre. Thus it's no surprise you (nobody personally) are disengaged from the real world and unaware of your surroundings. Sorry to be so blunt, but unfortunately there are a number of home truths on the way for anyone asking "Music today doesn't have that conviction, where are the great musicians?" or claiming "the World doesn't have much to say anymore."

What this really is about is that position is one where a mind has been made up and eyes are closed to what is available, an inability or refusal to see or accept, and also a lack of understanding of the environment since it changed its form from what once was.

So allow me to respond directly to the post and the 'several issues here':

"I don't hear anything new in this music,"

This is either because you (nobody in particular, this is not a personal attack) are lazy, or are so old you're actually too tired to expend enough energy to take an interest in something; or a refusal to listen to or accept the truth (shame); but it could just be you're unable to recognize it.

This latter reason for not hearing anything new is just fine, and it's to a guy like that I am really posting the music: he just needs to get back on his steed and ride out across the plain and go see what's actually out there since the last time he stepped foot outside his picket fence.

Okay then, so what's new in what I posted?

Well, as I said before, I was hoping not to alienate folk who I figured were coming from a primarily trad-rock background and who haven't experienced or been open to new ideas for a while, so what I've posted is not meant to be - as another poster put it - cutting edge.

Having said that, I was being polite to that previous poster, because in my OP I actually planted a little time bomb for such a moment as this, if necessary: Joanna Newsom.

Did you (whoever you are dear reader, that may be anti-modern music or something), did you actually check that one or are you another one of these guys who "read the first paragraph until..." or "checked the first couple of videos but..."?

These are the sorts of guys referred to in 'a refusal to listen to or accept the truth (shame)'. They are old farts full of their own hot air and there's no room inside for anything new. Their mind has gone to seed: they know what they know (which is everything already) and they are now - sadly often unbeknownst to themselves - simply waiting to die. They are the walking dead.

So anyway, going back to Joanna.... she, sir, is an example of a "great musician", something I'll come back to, however what I wish to say here is that Joanna Newsom is an artist who, at the time of her first few albums, was at the cutting edge of the new psyche-folk movement in the early to mid 2000s and beyond (and almost certainly prior, though I'm no authority). If you bothered to take the time you would most definitely experience something new AND something of the highest order. This doesn't mean that you have to like her: but to be unable to appreciate her talent would be a lack within yourself, not her. Read the reviews or better yet go check out more of her stuff.

So why have you, the token, nameless, closed-minded old geriatric that I'm talking to, not already heard of Joanna Newsom? Back in the day everyone knew who Janis Joplin was didn't they? Actually I beg to differ.

Ok then, The Beatles.... well the difference is there is simply more content available now so not everyone is sitting huddled round the flickering TV set watching Top Of The Pops on the only channel available.

Of course, those lovable moptops were not only in the right place at the right time, they also had the talent to take advantage of the situation. I would not deny their talent (especially given they and the Floyd were my favourite bands when I was growing up), but can you - in all your wisdom after all these years - really have learned so little as to claim the human race has suddenly become less talented or creative?

You REALLY think so? Just because the kids these days are - apparently - all on iPhones or watching reality TV? and meanwhile you lost the youth in your heart to actually explore, to scratch the surface: to see beyond modern, post-industrial capitalism and consumerism and how they've pushed the lowest common denominator into the fore in such a way that you bought into it all too, except you think you reject it when it was never real in the first place.

All those people whose lives are wrapped up in all that meaningless crap are NOT where the cutting edge is, sir.

Sorry to have to tell you this, but both they and you have been diverted by The Man (or whatever) and meanwhile today's great innovators have simply carried on regardless whilst you tuned out, turned off and dropped in to a deep aesthetic slumber.

This is a part of the aforementioned issue of ol' grandad having 'a lack of understanding of the environment since it changed its form from what once was'. Some creativity has shifted from Top Of The Pops to video games. Some creativity has remained in music but you are no longer listening.

The industry and its availability has changed. Everyone on the street is no longer talking about a handful of pop stars, they have a multitude of artists to choose from now, they approach their pop stars differently and they have a multitude of other interests these days too, all of which have no relevance on how "great" a modern artist is compared to when pop music was a big deal.

Irrespective of who is or isn't 'great', or original or influential, as it goes most of the other stuff I posted is something new too. I repeat: back in the 1400s (or was it the 1500s?) Geoffrey Chaucer wrote 'there's nothing new under the sun', dry humour but a fine observation that nearly all art is informed, influenced or ripped off from somewhere. Ovid pretty much redid Homer for a Roman audience tailored to the court politics of his day.

The postrock I linked to or mentioned might not come across as highly original, but it is pretty much your 1970s prog rock - supposedly dead - evolving and becoming relevant again (please pedants, I realize that is an over-simplification but this is already going to be a marathon forum posting as it is).

Likewise, dream-pop is indie rock breaking out of a cul-de-sac. If you explore dream-pop you will find it is vast in scope and influences, with so much diversity of style squashed uncomfortably within that categorization as to be absurd: how can Youth Lagoon and The Honey Trees possibly be in the same genre?

So when you say:

"I can pick up riffs and melodies from 60/70's music."

Of course you can! That's what artists do! Going by your own logic The Beatles were not great artists either because of the R 'n' B influence that they nicked from the States?

I actually chose to include Melody's Echo Chamber precisely because it harks back to the 60s and 70s and I thought some of the guys here might like it because of that.

Even so, a lot of music at the moment is looking back to the 80s and 90s for inspiration. As I said, there's nothing wrong with nostalgia....

nostalgia, ULTRA - Frank Ocean - 2011

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IHCL4rbOQ0

A modern classic by the way. If you can't see that the fault's with you, not the music which is damn fine songwriting, respectful of the past and defining the future. It's a cross-over album, fresh, new and original, taking the traditional R'n'B genre off to a new horizon, and Frank Ocean is every bit as talented as many 1960s artists if not more so.

"Secondly what made the 60/70's music great was that most of it had a message."

No, most of it was commercial, mainstream product meant to shift units, and actually, I would say far more so than today. All that crap you've been diverted by, the stuff you judge this generation on is just you - as I said - buying into the b*llsh*t and you just ain't been looking in the right places.

"We were fighting the establishment, social norms, Vietnam was happening, drugs etc."

Yes, you felt there was something worth fighting for and that music could change the world. The fact that by the 1980s it was clear music could not change the world, at least in the naive manner that the hippies, et al. envisioned, does not mean that music thereafter is any less worthwhile, it's just those hippies over-estimated what their message as conveyed through music could achieve.

That hasn't stopped musicians from being political though, as you will see in a later post I will be making. Also, it would be deeply stupid if the next generation of politicized musicians ignored the lessons of history and flogged a dead horse, and thus their approach would necessarily be different. Not hearing re-hashes of "Stop Children What's That Sound" over the airwaves does not mean later generations have lacked conviction.

As you say yourself:

"Music was really the only means of getting a message across then, other than writing a book.

But now the world has changed and so have our priorities. Rather than singing a song to a few hundred people you can spread word across the internet in various ways. Look at what's gone on with Tunisia or even Turkey more recently. When the time comes to speak out or take action it is no longer down to musicians to take leadership of that and RIGHTLY SO.

"Music today doesn't have that conviction"

Yes it does. I can just as easily ask you why Kurt Kobain purposely died for his convictions (no matter what they were) when Jimi Hendrix, Jonis Joplin and Jim Morrison all died, not for convictions, but because they were over-indulging in a decadent lifestyle. It works both ways.

"where are the great musicians?"

This question is simplistic and loaded by your own definition of what a great musician is, and that definition is based on being in a particular time and place (ie. the classic era "Where everyone knows your name") as much as it should actually be based on their level of innate talent, musicianship and writing skills.

If John Lennon was starting out today, for all his passion, angst and melodic ear he would more than likely be on Bandcamp giving away free downloads to get his music out there same as everyone else, whereas if Janelle Monáe had been starting out in the 1960s she would likely be a household name in the wake of her debut album.

Edited by Squeegee

Regarding the first two: Slow Bird and Melodys Echo chamber. Not bad for new stuff Its not a coincidence that they sound good because the first one is Jefferson Airplane equated and

the second one The Mamas & Papas. I did not listen to all the rest, but French Teen Idol brings up the problem I have with alot of the new stuff: Excessive repetition. I made about 5 time samples and it was all the same.

Edited by morrobay

Several issues here. I don't hear anything new in this music, I can pick up riffs and melodies from 60/70's music. Secondly what made the 60/70's music great was that most of it had a message.

Who cares if they are using some old riffs? Musicians have always copied each other.

As far as the message of the music in the 60s, a lot of it was simple-minded nonsense - although I thought that was really cool at the time. If music works, it works. I am impressed by some of the links that the OP provided and I did not expect to be.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Hey squeegee,

I'm a bass player of 44 years. I've played live, onstage for 26 of those years. Retired to the odd gig, now and then. I'm also a songwriter, and have written over 200 songs. (Most of them suck, but that is another discussion for another day.)

I admire your passion for music. You seem to have eclectic musical tastes not too far distant from mine own.

Like many other things, music during a persons formative years, becomes associated with the growing pains and loves, firsts, memories, etc. Particularly the rebelliousness of rock'n'roll, punk, rap. And even the bebop of the 40's. Even Mozart was considered to be a rebel in his time. So certain genres become ingrained.

Don't take it personally if your angst-ridden band, or soulful singer, pop icon, isn't as emotionally peculiar as mine, or someone elses'. Musical tastes are almost too personal to be argued, though some do try to force their tastes upon others.

As Frank Zappa said, "High school is a state of mind." The same can be said for the music of each era.

Keep on rocking! And, if your ears ain't bleedin', it ain't loud enough.

Edited by sdanielmcev
  • Like 1

Squeegee, Thank you for your in depth analysis of my feelings towards this subject. The day the music died for me was when the Sex Pistols released Never Mind the <deleted>. I was happily tripping out to Yes, The Stones, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Floyd, The Who etc. What I am getting at is although I hate Punk it was a brand new genre of music, at least there was rebellion and a message. The Eighties was basically a music wasteland mostly synthesized rubbish although there were excellent musicians such as Ry Cooder and Warren Zevon who did a lot of work then. Metallica came through too. Then came Rap which was crap. The Nineties showed some promise with Gun's and Roses and Sammy Hagar made some good albums solo and with Van Halen. The Cult were good and the Cowboy Junkies. One of the most overlooked artists of this period is Natalie Merchant whose Tiger Lily album is timeless. Here's a track:

Society is constantly changing so attitudes to music change but I stand by my statement that most people nowadays use music as a background for their life. They don't sit down and actively listen to it.

Every younger person I have introduced to my music usually can't believe how good it is compared to modern music. I appreciate you poking a stick at us BOF's and I was called a BOF in the 70's for listening to Yes by NME no less.

Here's one modernish band I like. They are not original but they're good.

• Like 2

To OP :

With your second rant on this topic you have completely lost any sympathy from me for what you were trying to do.

Turns out that you are nothing more than many members on this board that have a problem with getting old and the elderly.

And a Pattaya basher to boot.

I have only one thing more to say to you (not my words but Pink Floyd's ) " Hey teacher leave us kids alone ".

Yermanee wai.gif

• Like 1

got some new tunes from here

thanks

i dont know where to begin to share my music

just the one thai song most everyone likes

apologies if it has been over played to death

but well thai music is not my fav just thought i'd at least make the thread thai related officially now!!!!

and sorry no it is not new

i post this for all who never heard it

Squeegee, Thank you for your in depth analysis of my feelings towards this subject. The day the music died for me was when the Sex Pistols released Never Mind the <deleted>. I was happily tripping out to Yes, The Stones, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Floyd, The Who etc. What I am getting at is although I hate Punk it was a brand new genre of music, at least there was rebellion and a message. The Eighties was basically a music wasteland mostly synthesized rubbish although there were excellent musicians such as Ry Cooder and Warren Zevon who did a lot of work then. Metallica came through too. Then came Rap which was crap. The Nineties showed some promise with Gun's and Roses and Sammy Hagar made some good albums solo and with Van Halen. The Cult were good and the Cowboy Junkies. One of the most overlooked artists of this period is Natalie Merchant whose Tiger Lily album is timeless. Here's a track:

Society is constantly changing so attitudes to music change but I stand by my statement that most people nowadays use music as a background for their life. They don't sit down and actively listen to it.

Every younger person I have introduced to my music usually can't believe how good it is compared to modern music. I appreciate you poking a stick at us BOF's and I was called a BOF in the 70's for listening to Yes by NME no less.

Here's one modernish band I like. They are not original but they're good.

The day the music died for me was when the Sex Pistols released Never Mind the <deleted>

Sorry, dont agree, the release of that album was just the kick up the backside the music industry needed.

Whilst the music on it isnt ground breaking (Maclaren was an immitator not an innovator) it was being played by bands such as The Ramones and Television etc in CBGBs in New York.

But we never heard that sort of music on Brit telly or radio, it was playlists handed to radio one or Whispering Bob pulling out his past their sell by date dinosaurs.

Never Mind The &lt;deleted&gt; probably had more of an impact on the youth than anything released by and of the above, the only other album off the top of my head to have such an impact would have been the first by the Velvet Underground.

How many kids picked up a copy of these albums and said, we can do that?

Look at what followed, indie record stores and labels, musicians taking control of their own fate, rather than being dictated to.

Look at he history of say The Who or Billy Joel who were screwed over by their record companies, I am no fan of George Michael or Elton John, however they at least had the financial clout to stand up to the record industry parasites.

How many kids ever picked up a copy of, Tales From Topograhic Oceans, Sgt Pepper or Dark Side, and said we can do that, not many.

The Stones have released nothing worth mentioning in the last 40 years, Yes how many versions of that group has there been?

Floyds only decent album to my ears was Animals

Sabbath, the music press despised them, they only gained acclaim after the release of their 5th album.

Even Zeppelin came to their senses and ditched the 30 minute Jimmy Page fret board wanking self indulgent solos he so loved in 1975/77, check out the bootlegs from '79 and 1980.

I for one sit down and actively listen to music, although my tatstes arent for everyone, basically new music has one minute for me to take notice and grab me by the &lt;deleted&gt;,sadly I have heard it all before, the new insert whatever name you want. Nirvana, Neil Young and Crazy Horse invented the sound in 1970, so nothing new there.

My attitude is, why should I eat a hotdog or hamburger when I can eat steak?

The day the music died for me was when the Sex Pistols released Never Mind the <deleted>

Sorry, dont agree, the release of that album was just the kick up the backside the music industry needed.

The whole point of being an artist is you can do what someone else can't. When I first heard Close to the Edge and Exile on Main Street those albums blew my mind and they still do. The Velvet Underground was a manufactured band by Andy Warhol although I won't take away what they did contribute. Iggy Pop was a much greater influence in my opinion especially the work he did with James Williamson who was an excellent guitarist and I've seen him many times.

I've heard this argument for Punk a million times but sorry if you can't play your instruments you can't join the club. I already said in my post that the last band wasn't original and they do draw from Neil Young and Bob Dylan but that was the whole point of the discussion, New Music. There hasn't been any music created that can eclipse Rock or well constructed harmonic music like the Carpenters or Natalie Merchant, to give the above example.

If you want to be an artist you have to come up with something original, at least Punk was original but it's exactly the same as that guy who cut a cow in half and called it art. Sorry but I prefer Matisse anyday.

I would like to know your top five albums. Mine usually contain:

1. Close to the Edge - Yes

2. Exile on Main Street - Rolling Stones

3. Freewheelin' - Bob Dylan

4. Aja - Steely Dan

5. Blues from Laurel Canyon - John Mayall

• Like 2

Thank you again Squeegee once again for your contributions, but at the risk of repeating myself, there are few memorable tunes or riffs there

.It's easy to play a couple of minor chords on a modern keyboard and sound deep and meaningless, but it's not so easy to get away with that on a guitar.

A good tune or riff is essential in my opinion.

Enclosed is a wonderful song about the Irish working in England by Paul Brady, melody, passion and meaningful lyrics, essential ingredients for lasting art, IMO.

• Like 2

The whole point of being an artist is you can do what someone else can't. When I first heard Close to the Edge and Exile on Main Street those albums blew my mind and they still do. The Velvet Underground was a manufactured band by Andy Warhol although I won't take away what they did contribute. Iggy Pop was a much greater influence in my opinion especially the work he did with James Williamson who was an excellent guitarist and I've seen him many times.

I've heard this argument for Punk a million times but sorry if you can't play your instruments you can't join the club. I already said in my post that the last band wasn't original and they do draw from Neil Young and Bob Dylan but that was the whole point of the discussion, New Music. There hasn't been any music created that can eclipse Rock or well constructed harmonic music like the Carpenters or Natalie Merchant, to give the above example.

If you want to be an artist you have to come up with something original, at least Punk was original but it's exactly the same as that guy who cut a cow in half and called it art. Sorry but I prefer Matisse anyday.

I would like to know your top five albums. Mine usually contain:

1. Close to the Edge - Yes

2. Exile on Main Street - Rolling Stones

3. Freewheelin' - Bob Dylan

4. Aja - Steely Dan

5. Blues from Laurel Canyon - John Mayall

In no particular order.

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

Hawkwind - Space Ritual

Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden

Velvets - first

Link Wray - Live At The Paradiso

Other worthy contenders would be, MC5 - Kick Out The Jams.

Ted Hawkins - Watch Your Step

Cold Chisel - Swingshift

The Church - The Blurred Crusade. Probably the most underrated and overlooked band ever to exist.

Tangerine Dream - Electronic Meditation, too be honest I prefer Ashra Temple.

As for playing instruments, sorry I aint Frank Zappa, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, virtuosos of the guitar, but they leave me dead, they aint got soul.

• Like 1