Installing LED light will save energy at Suvarnabhumi airport

Installing LED lights will save energy at Suvarnabhumi airport

BANGKOK, 6 June 2014 (NNT) - PEA governor Numchai Lorwattanatrakul has notified the traveling public that an agreement between the PEA and the Airports of Thailand (AOT) is a cooperative venture to save on energy usage in Suvarnabhumi airport.

There are currently more than 70,000 light bulbs at the airport. The PEA governor is confident that 50% of the power consumption can be saved as a result of this cooperation. PEA and AOT are currently studying appropriate methods of implementation and an investment budget.

The AOT Director Mekin Petplai added that AOT is considering lowering overall energy consumption at the airport by adopting new technology. If this project operates efficiently, AOT will immediately introduce similar projects at the five other airports as well as in other divisions.

The investment is approximately 150 million baht and it is planned to start changing to LED light bulbs in 6 months. It will then take 3 years to reach its break-even point.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-06 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Good news they switch to this "new" technoligy

After all they exist longer than the airport

While they are at it why not install a few thousand solar panels

Solar roads ????

But hopefully they not gonna choose some cheap crappy lights that are dead within a year .

• Like 1

Actually the high output LED luminaires have only come out recently. We use them increasingly now in the broadcasting industry for studio lights, but previously they were nowhere near as efficient or as bright.

I am sure that my friends in the airfield lighting industry will be across this opportunity - it will be an excellent move for AOT.

150 million divided by 70,00 is Baht2,142, sounds like they got a good deal there then! I am sure I could get them a bit cheaper that that.

includes special training course to change from normal to led lights

New uniforms that has a green electric logo on it and couple million to design it

Re-organising and racks for the storage facility

And 70% goes to a handfull of people in charge of looking how the lights get changed (optional job offcourse )

• Like 1

If a regular neon tube is running 24h, i.e. in an underground car park, and you replace them with similar LED tubes, the LED tubes will be amortized in 290 days, or, if you install them on the first of January, they have been paid of on October 18th. Finally you will save 50% of the power compared to the regular neon tube. The life expectancy for those LEDs is about eight years. I changed all 120cm tubes in my house already and now I wait for the delivery of the 60cm tubes. The Thai folks I know, refrain from the installation of those LED tubes, because their initial investment is to "high".

• Like 2

150 million divided by 70,00 is Baht2,142, sounds like they got a good deal there then! I am sure I could get them a bit cheaper that that.

includes special training course to change from normal to led lights

New uniforms that has a green electric logo on it and couple million to design it

Re-organising and racks for the storage facility

And 70% goes to a handfull of people in charge of looking how the lights get changed (optional job offcourse )

This appears to have been an effort to be a clever & humorous bit of unflattering insight- guess what? :bah:

Good news they switch to this "new" technoligy

After all they exist longer than the airport

While they are at it why not install a few thousand solar panels

Solar roads ????

But hopefully they not gonna choose some cheap crappy lights that are dead within a year .

A few years ago they announced they were installing solar panels.. They were planning a big saving as well. Something like 30% of their energy costs.

They need solar runways!

• 2 weeks later...

If a regular neon tube is running 24h, i.e. in an underground car park, and you replace them with similar LED tubes, the LED tubes will be amortized in 290 days, or, if you install them on the first of January, they have been paid of on October 18th. Finally you will save 50% of the power compared to the regular neon tube. The life expectancy for those LEDs is about eight years. I changed all 120cm tubes in my house already and now I wait for the delivery of the 60cm tubes. The Thai folks I know, refrain from the installation of those LED tubes, because their initial investment is to "high".

LED tubes, really ? I have never heard of them, where can you get them in Thailand, I have not noticed them in HomePro etc, What is the cost ?

The LED look a like light bulbs are great IMO.

Edit:

A few links I have found on the WWW

http://www.ledsmagazine.com/articles/print/volume-10/issue-7/features/myth-busting-as-it-relates-to-led-tubes-magazine.html

http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-EVER-Brightest-Fluorescent-Replacement/dp/B004BLH714

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

LED tubes, really ? I have never heard of them, where can you get them in Thailand, I have not noticed them in HomePro etc, What is the cost ?

The LED look a like light bulbs are great IMO.

Edit:

A few links I have found on the WWW

http://www.ledsmagazine.com/articles/print/volume-10/issue-7/features/myth-busting-as-it-relates-to-led-tubes-magazine.html

http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-EVER-Brightest-Fluorescent-Replacement/dp/B004BLH714

I got a nice deal from a German guy, who works in that field and equips parking buildings with those tubes. I received the 120cm ones for an introductory price of only 500THB each (pick up price Hat Yai), and I am waiting now for the 60cm ones. These tubes also do not emit this greenish light, like a neon bulb does.

Edited by fxe1200

Our entire site office is lit by these http://www.thianthong.com/product/นีออน-led-fluorescent-lights/philips-essential-led-tube-t8-นีออน-ฟิลิปส์-แอล-อี-ดี-20w-1200mm/?gclid=CJ3Q18zph78CFQVvvAodJ2sAmA nice and bright.

They fit conventional fittings, just leave out the starter.

If anyone spots a supplier of circular fluorescent LED replacements, let me know.

The question must be asked. How many Thais to change a light bulb?

One, just one. To hold the bulb while the whole world revolves around him.

too bad that will only work on the earth axis ,

Lol

Perhaps the budget goes into expensive lightbulb detectors