Malibu - The Bistro, a new restaurant to try

junglechef

With a properly trained palate one can discern the origins of the food that one tastes. In this case it was obvious that I was not eating CP pork and upon commending the owner for purveying product that was superior which obviously took more care and effort since Makro was in close proximity he confirmed my Proffesional conclusion. This is one of many examples that I try to explain that being a Chef is a multi faceted occupation that takes years to attain and also that it is the Chefs job to take great care in putting all the necessary pieces together to make a remarkable meal and which the customer needs only to enjoy without having to know why it's so good.

With a properly trained palate one can discern the origins of the food that one tastes.

Not when it comes to wine anyway.

Wine-tasting: it's junk science

Experiments have shown that people can't tell plonk from grand cru. Now one US winemaker claims that even experts can't judge wine accurately. What's the science behind the taste?

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/wine-tasting-junk-science-analysis

With a properly trained palate one can discern the origins of the food that one tastes.

Experiments have shown that people can't tell plonk from grand cru. Now one US winemaker claims that even experts can't judge wine accurately. What's the science behind the taste?

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/wine-tasting-junk-science-analysis

Yeah I admit to being a Philistine but I'd have to see a blind test for the CP vs Makro pork in the same dish before I believe it.

• Like 2

Yeah I admit to being a Philistine but I'd have to see a blind test for the CP vs Makro pork in the same dish before I believe it.

Actually, what he was saying is that CP pork is what Makro sells. Which, by the way, I think is far superior to the pork that Rim Ping in Chiang Mai is now selling which seems to raised according to modern American standards. Very white, very lean, and pretty tasteless. I don't know why Rim Ping sells this stuff. I'm guessing they are entranced by the promise (hype?) of superior sanitary standards.

• Like 1

With a properly trained palate one can discern the origins of the food that one tastes. In this case it was obvious that I was not eating CP pork and upon commending the owner for purveying product that was superior which obviously took more care and effort since Makro was in close proximity he confirmed my Proffesional conclusion. This is one of many examples that I try to explain that being a Chef is a multi faceted occupation that takes years to attain and also that it is the Chefs job to take great care in putting all the necessary pieces together to make a remarkable meal and which the customer needs only to enjoy without having to know why it's so good.

That's one opinion. Here's what an eminent chef had to say:

“But I do know a fair amount of professional chefs who are very good technicians—who can work very fast—and are relatively lousy cooks. They don't have much palate. Ultimately you're a good chef or a great chef: someone like Eric Ripert or Thomas Keller—this is someone who's going to be a very good technician, a very good craftsman, who will also bring talent to that.”

In fact, being a chef has nothing to do with being able to tell by taste - or by any other attribute - the quality of a particular ingredient. The sine qua non would be how keen a sense of taste one has. This is is pretty much directly proportional to how densely populated your tongue is with taste buds. Smell is important too.

Then there's what kind of food you were exposed to. If you grew up eating good food - say if your mother was a great non-kosher or non-halal cook - you'll know whether or not the pork you're eating is exceptional.

Finally, it helps to be someone who cooks. Not a chef - just someone who regularly cooks.

The idea that you need some special training to know that a piece of pork is exceptional- or, for that matter, any ingredient, is just elitist claptrap. I've had the good fortune to be acquainted with a few eminent chefs.. and they would be ashamed to associate themselves with the self-aggrandizing sentiments of junglechef. In fact, the people great chefs universally revere are the great home cooks - often their mothers - who taught them to appreciate the quality of ingredients.

As for what chef means - it really means chief - the boss. It's an executive function. It's crucial for being able to run a restaurant when you have a team of cooks and other workers under you. It's a really difficult thing to be. But only part of it is about your cooking skills. Traditionally, in Europe, at least, chefs didn't attend college to attain their status. They started young in the kitchen - served an apprenticeship there - and gradually made their way up the ladder as far as their talents would take them. And if your talents didn't take you very far, then you might just spend your lfe being a dishwasher. Just because you've graduated from a culinary school, doesn't mean you're a great or even a competent chef. If that were the case, considering how many graduates the various cooking schools in the USA disgorge each year, America would be overrun with 4 star restaurants. The Darwinian approach of the Europeans might be harsh and, I think, a thing of the past, but the chefs who emerged from that system, were more likely to be the real thing. And not a diploma in sight.

Edited by quidnunc

The trouble is that wine competitions are a very artificial way to test wine. Wine is meant to be consumed with food. I don't even like just sipping wine unaccompanied by food.. But I do know a great tasting wine when I've had one at a meal. I couldn't tell you if it was a bordeaux a burgundy a chianti or whatever, but I would know that it was delicious.

• Like 1

Then there's what kind of food you were exposed to. If you grew up eating good food - say if your mother was a great non-kosher or non-halal cook - you'll know whether or not the pork you're eating is exceptional.

I have always thought that was why I was able to appreciate really good food as an adult, where a lot of people can't. I grew up in suburbia and there were not a lot of good restaurants, but my mom was a great cook and always experimenting with different kinds of cuisines. When I first moved to San Francisco, I thought that I was in food heaven. I thought that REAL Chinese, Mexican and Japanese food was amazing.

Edited by Ulysses G.

"That map is of no value to me. Can you provide a map i can read? thnx. am hungry. "

Well, maybe a bit difficult if you not able to read paasaa thai. In the original post there is another facebook link, which brings you to a bing map. If you drive from Pratuu Chang Pueak or Northgate northbound (road to Mae Rim), after pass the Superhighway turn left at the first traffic light. It is the connecting road to the canal rd.

• Like 1

I agree that if one can be great chef, having graduated culinary school or not (even though most schools are aimed at training students to become hotel chefs), and visa versa (no matter how annoying they are tongue.png ). But any chef worth the title tastes tastes and tastes which over time trains one palate. Maybe the number of taste buds on one tongue helps, I've never counted, but I find it amusing that someone who only only quotes an unnamed "eminent chef" (and also claims to be aquainted with other's) is telling me that attending the best culinary school in the world and then traveling the world apprenticing in kitchens from Paris to New Orleans might not have any more ability then someone who hung around with Grandma in the kitchen to know about food quality. Studying food science and history and being taught by highly experience people in many matters of being a well-rounded Chef put me a position to cook for heads of state and my kids birthday parties, all happy customers. I've had dealing with Eric Rupert and was hired by Thomas Keller to cook at his own party and though I wouldn't have embarrassed myself asking if they think taste has anything do to with being a Chef (I wonder why they taste everything they put out?) I think anyone who isn't just trying to be argumentative knows the answer. Obviously it cannot be quantified as is up to each individuals preferences, some people love McDonalds, but if quidnunc keeps it up I'm not going to invite him over for one of my world class dinners anytime soon.

The picture is of a restaurant that took the whole bathroom theme to a whole mother level

post-101742-0-95618200-1402213929_thumb.

Edited by junglechef

I agree that if one can be great chef, having graduated culinary school or not (even though most schools are aimed at training students to become hotel chefs), and visa versa (no matter how annoying they are tongue.png ). But any chef worth the title tastes tastes and tastes which over time trains one palate. Maybe the number of taste buds on one tongue helps, I've never counted, but I find it amusing that someone who only only quotes an unnamed "eminent chef" (and also claims to be aquainted with other's) is telling me that attending the best culinary school in the world and then traveling the world apprenticing in kitchens from Paris to New Orleans might not have any more ability then someone who hung around with Grandma in the kitchen to know about food quality. Studying food science and history and being taught by highly experience people in many matters of being a well-rounded Chef put me a position to cook for heads of state and my kids birthday parties, all happy customers. I've had dealing with Eric Rupert and was hired by Thomas Keller to cook at his own party and though I wouldn't have embarrassed myself asking if they think taste has anything do to with being a Chef (I wonder why they taste everything they put out?) I think anyone who isn't just trying to be argumentative knows the answer. Obviously it cannot be quantified as is up to each individuals preferences, some people love McDonalds, but if quidnunc keeps it up I'm not going to invite him over for one of my world class dinners anytime soon.

The picture is of a restaurant that took the whole bathroom theme to a whole mother level

That's taking green and recycling to a whole different level..cheesy.gif

• Like 1

That's great, but I haven't found the opinions of Thai Visa's expert chefs to be any more reliable than those of its barflies.

• Like 2

Excellent point Angleface (We all know I only jest out of lovewub.png ) but there is a HUGE (I not yelling just writing huge HUGE) difference between TV's expert Chefs and even good cooks and TV's claimed to be expert Chefs, do I hear cook off! Let's put our money where our mouths are (so to speak clap2.gif ).

• Like 1

Most of the posts here are just noise, but regarding the OP recommending Malibu Bistro I absolutely agree. Ate there today. The Malibu special salad was fantastic and the special fried rice was a treat. The place is very comfortable and the staff and owner are friendly people. Highly recommended.

• Like 2

nice catch jungle chef,take a bowclap2.gif

and not makro grub either

been twice , gosh lge bott of heinken 75 baht,had three for desert

perhaps not a chez marco or steak of the day

but a good nosebag,at very very affordable prices,in comfy surroundings,

but no bloody bath tubsad.png

but no doubt i will return, thats a certainty

• Like 1

That's one opinion. Here's what an eminent chef had to say:

“But I do know a fair amount of professional chefs who are very good technicians—who can work very fast—and are relatively lousy cooks. They don't have much palate. Ultimately you're a good chef or a great chef: someone like Eric Ripert or Thomas Keller—this is someone who's going to be a very good technician, a very good craftsman, who will also bring talent to that.”

In fact, being a chef has nothing to do with being able to tell by taste - or by any other attribute - the quality of a particular ingredient. The sine qua non would be how keen a sense of taste one has. This is is pretty much directly proportional to how densely populated your tongue is with taste buds. Smell is important too.

Finally, it helps to be someone who cooks. Not a chef - just someone who regularly cooks.

The idea that you need some special training to know that a piece of pork is exceptional- or, for that matter, any ingredient, is just elitist claptrap. I've had the good fortune to be acquainted with a few eminent chefs.. and they would be ashamed to associate themselves with the self-aggrandizing sentiments of junglechef. In fact, the people great chefs universally revere are the great home cooks - often their mothers - who taught them to appreciate the quality of ingredients.

As for what chef means - it really means chief - the boss. It's an executive function. It's crucial for being able to run a restaurant when you have a team of cooks and other workers under you. It's a really difficult thing to be. But only part of it is about your cooking skills. Traditionally, in Europe, at least, chefs didn't attend college to attain their status. They started young in the kitchen - served an apprenticeship there - and gradually made their way up the ladder as far as their talents would take them. And if your talents didn't take you very far, then you might just spend your lfe being a dishwasher. Just because you've graduated from a culinary school, doesn't mean you're a great or even a competent chef. If that were the case, considering how many graduates the various cooking schools in the USA disgorge each year, America would be overrun with 4 star restaurants. The Darwinian approach of the Europeans might be harsh and, I think, a thing of the past, but the chefs who emerged from that system, were more likely to be the real thing. And not a diploma in sight.

I have a friend who is a chef. In his 20s he was an executive chef. The youngest in the States. He has owned his own restaurants and fast food outlets.

He informed me that a chef was more than knowing the ingredients and the quantity in them there was some thing either you had it or you did not have it. He himself was also like junglechef able to analyze what he was eating but it made no difference to him if he liked it. He liked it no matter how far off the excepted standards for the dish were. It was funny to be sharing a pizza with him one day and he was telling me what was wrong with it. All the time he was also saying it taste good. I am not sure if every one can train their palate. I would imaginer they have a very sensitive taste sense to start with.

• Like 1

Junglechef is absolutely right about this place.

I've eaten there twice a day for three days, and each dish is flawlessly executed.

It's a delight to have such a good restaurant in my neighborhood.

If any of you remember White Tenbo, it's in the same location.

Last night, I had the spaghetti with barbequed pork ribs. 85 baht, and a good portion.

post-91669-0-32817000-1402971762_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1/ salad salmon

2/ tom yung gong

3/ spicy spagetti

4/ german pork knuckle

5/ strawberry cake desert

6/pork dish

7/ salmon with rice

gosh j/chef this little nosebag, is a jewelsmile.png

my g/f and our daughter, all had the below graze washed down by 4 botts of heinken with a very good tip for impeccable sevice for a 1000, bahtbiggrin.png

one of the best grazing paddocks in c/mai, on pro rata, baht spent, to what u get ,rates with the chez marco and steak of the day,indeed lavish praise

a very nice afternoon to allbiggrin.png

10508359_791175734256357_954156316_n.jpg10477081_791175724256358_963311331_n.jpg

10516371_791175887589675_1991254573_o.jp

10487826_791175827589681_1779111128_n.jp

10503560_791175870923010_1801130686_o.jp

1080422_791176134256317_1187057839_n.jpg

10404265_791180080922589_182583586154537

• Like 1

we went in the last couple of weeks for lunch. didn't think it was anything too special and the wife didn't care for it. small portions, one rice dish had all of one shrimp in it for about 90 Baht. service was slow. we were the only customers at the time and waited close to 25 minutes for the food. presentation was nice, staff were friendly. i may give it another go and try something different but not in a hurry to go soon.

• Like 1

Tried it today -maybe just me but hard to find from directions above. Actually first big road (not small soi) off 107 and right on the road. staff good, service quick and friendly (always helps),

and food ok. Not outstanding in my view but good. Reasonable size well cooked tender pork steak with good mash and a pepper sauce. GF had salmon steak also with mash and a creamy sauce. Coffee and juice, total 340 baht I think.

For me it doesnt compare with Steak of the Day and I thought the menu was quite limited - I asked if they had a separate dinner menu, as we had lunch, but no, so wysiwyg.

Would probably go again if in the area, but not worth driving across town for- only my opinion of course - oh and no caterpillar in the small salad, which may be a disadvantage for those that like their salad that way.

• Like 1

to find the malibu bistro

if coming along the canal road, turn left if( heading south ) or turn right(if heading north)at the convention centre set of lights

continue along for exactly 1.2 kms and it on the right hand side just past chang puek police station

if coming along the 107 and heading north ,take a left at the first set of lights past the ring super h/way,or if heading south take a right at the lights just past toyata motors

then continue for 500 metres and its on the left, just before chang puek police station (look for soi three)as its on that small corner

it appears from a previous post on this thread, that it has a limited menu, that is not the case ,malibu has approx 30 selections, with the majority being in the 65 baht to 90 baht range

may i politely point out that the malibu is a bistro, not a restaruant ,therefore the menu does nt cater for a la carte doers

but certainly come up trumps who may come in groups , where they can order as many dishes as they like, and share accordingly

or be solo as myself was y/day ,where i had pad thai with crab egg(65 baht) 2 botts of heneken(75 baht each) total 215 baht plus a tipbiggrin.png

did see a comment on this thread where the the meals come out slowsad.png have not that found that so far, in fact they are really pulling out all stops to make u feel very comfortable

y/day they had about a dozen napkins.for a nose bag, (whilst i was there) and all were served very efficiently in time and quality, plus good size portions

in fact one table( 4 ladys)asked for my company at there table, which i took up ,and had lovely time, but must remember , that is not on the menu, its just my good looks and flashing smile that got me there

j/chef try the pad thaibiggrin.png a very nice morning to all

Edited by evenstevens
  • Like 1