Upgrading scooter for city driving; best values?

I drive an average of around 200 km a week in Bangkok traffic on my 2013 Honda Click, and I would like to adapt the bike better to my driving conditions. The first improvement I made was to buy a pair of 250 baht Chinese mirrors that are rectangular and lower and much smaller than the "elephant ear" mirrors the Click came with. It allows me to lane split much more easily without the occasional "mirror slap" to passed vehicles. Great investment.

I would love to improve ride comfort, specifically the way the bike handles bumps, sewer grates, and potholes. The bike still has the stock tires, wheels and shocks, and Im wondering if improving any of those would give me a more cushy ride. I saw a taxi driver on a Scoopy the other day, and he replaced the thin stock tires with huge and wide tires that would look normal on a swamp buggy. I would like to do something like that, maybe not so extreme, but something bigger lower pressure than what I have now.

Also, I have seen many bikes with a gold color shock in the back, and Im wondering if that will help ride quality much? I always ride 2 up, me and the gf, and together we are around 300 pounds.

Finally, Im thinking of upgrading the seat to something softer. Theres a place that rebuilds seats near me but I wouldnt want to replace the seat if its not going to offer alot more comfort.

Anybody else do alot of traffic driving? How did you upgrade your ride?

Heres a link to my daily commute. I do it six days a week, 32km a day.

you may want to up grade your scooter to a PCX I split lanes in Chiang Mai ok. A softer seat may not mean a more comfortable seat and some of the discomfort maybe from sweat. lots of baby power before leaving home.

Upgrading the stock tires on my Nouvo SX to Michelin Pilots 10 mm wider along with tank-type YSS struts has made for a smoother ride.

Pilot series performs better on wet pavement for sure.

If you use wider tires the rims may need to be wider also.

post-174911-0-30073900-1402195435_thumb.

Mesh type ventilating seat cover @ 250baht is a real value.

Edited by papa al
  • Like 1

Upgrading the stock tires on my Nouvo SX to Michelin Pilots 10 mm wider along with tank-type YSS struts has made for a smoother ride.

attachicon.gifrim:tire.png

Thanks Papa. I looked up the Michelins online and couldnt find one for a Click. Did you go to a tire shop to get them? Did you get front and rears?

How about the YSS strut? Im afraid of getting ripped off by a shop selling me a Chinese knockoff.

Do you have a picture of the seat ventilating cover? I sure could use some relief. :)

At 90kg my seats are often redone with harder foam.

You did the mirrors, so bigger tires for sure next.

Yaowarat/Chinatown is the place to pick from a bunch of tires.

I think most aftermarket shocks are aimed to racing so they are actually stiffer than OEM unless you can get a shock with the adjustable spring collar.

I find if you ask, the shops will tell you if it is a copy or not.

Likit Racing for one is honest because they sell both real and copies of parts.

attachicon.gifrim:tire.png

Thanks Papa. I looked up the Michelins online and couldnt find one for a Click. Did you go to a tire shop to get them? Did you get front and rears?

How about the YSS strut? Im afraid of getting ripped off by a shop selling me a Chinese knockoff.

Do you have a picture of the seat ventilating cover? I sure could use some relief. smile.png

Like TT says.

My shocks/struts are the adjustable type and I keep them on softest setting, but usually ride solo.

post-174911-0-57424000-1402272094_thumb.

Edited by papa al

Where do you live? There is a YSS shop not far from the end of the Sewer Jet route a short walk from Wat Saket (Golden Mount). Tried to send a link to the street view page but I cannot.

3D_mesh_motorbike_seat_cover_for_YAMAHA.

Edited by VocalNeal

you could also sell the bike and go for a yamaha nuovo, it has dual real shock and a better engine.

This what I did to my click 2012:

1. Yss rear shock with gas, to me it raises the height and feel a bit more stable. I paid 2500 baht.

2. upgrade front tire to a Michelin 80/80, around 700 Baht.

3. upgrade rear tire to a Michelin 90/80, around 850 Baht.

4. More often replaced air filter, transmission oil, changed brake fluid, etc.

all will make the ride quite nice.

I cant remember the prices, I did it a year ago.

I ride the scooter on weekends, it's perfect for shopping.

Thanks for all the tips! I really would prefer to keep the Click instead of buying a Nouvo or PCX even if I have to upgrade it a little bit. The Click is so light and easy to "flick" in between cars, its a pleasure to ride in traffic.

Yes the monoshock in the back to me is a down side of the bike especially riding with a passenger. Im first going to replace the front and rear tires then see about the strut, and then maybe upgrade the variator as well.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this topic. I just got back from the shop and had Pilots and YSS shock installed on the Click. The ride now is exactly what I was looking for. It tracks straight as an arrow, stays upright longer and with less work due to wider wheel width, corners like a 'vette, and feels like a motorcycle now instead of a scooter (bicycle feel). The bike soaks up Bangkok bumps with ease, and I was intentionally driving over things just to see how the bike responded. Nothing I threw at it was too much, and it feels like a whole different bike now. The tires feel like a good stable set of Nike running shoes, compared to the old tires which felt like ice skates.

Thanks again to all who helped.

BTW the mechanic who installed the tires overinflated them until they were as hard as rocks and the bike rode like crap. After letting out about 10 psi of air of each tire, the bike rides great.

Edited by rideswings
  • Like 1