Heads up on dengue

heybruce

This was in the news section http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/732143-thai-health-ministry-gears-up-for-dengue-fever-prevention/ but it seems to only discuss dengue in areas south of here. I talked to a young lady earlier this week who told me she just got out of the hospital after contracting dengue. I know it happens every year in Chiang Mai, but this is the earliest I've ever heard of a case. Be careful, and maybe reconsider those shorts and flip-flops.

Pop on down to the Medical Forum ... that's where the real debate and options is on with Dengue.

The discussion is not limited to any area.

Doesn't hurt to let people know it's in Chiang Mai already. Less than a month ago stories about the drought and water shortages were in the news.

" I know it happens every year in Chiang Mai, but this is the earliest I've ever heard of a case."

Not quite sure what you mean by that. I got it from a bite in Pattaya on Christmas Eve 3 years ago. I was sat on the beach New Years eve when the symptoms started, not a pleasant experience.

" I know it happens every year in Chiang Mai, but this is the earliest I've ever heard of a case."

Not quite sure what you mean by that. I got it from a bite in Pattaya on Christmas Eve 3 years ago. I was sat on the beach New Years eve when the symptoms started, not a pleasant experience.

Hang on a minute...

Most dengue fever are found during the rainy season, between June and September, as rainfall causes an increased number of stagnant water locations, the common place for house mosquitoes to breed.

I thought Aedes like still, fresh water?

Hang on a minute...

Most dengue fever are found during the rainy season, between June and September, as rainfall causes an increased number of stagnant water locations, the common place for house mosquitoes to breed.

That's why I was surprised to find someone who contracted it in early May. Maybe just a fluke, or maybe an early warning of a bad rainy season.

Hang on a minute...

That's why I was surprised to find someone who contracted it in early May. Maybe just a fluke, or maybe an early warning of a bad rainy season.

But you've had plenty of recent rain and that's all it takes. Pools everywhere, it's almost impossible to eradicate.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Lost two weeks of my life to dengue fever...continued weak for weeks after...not a very pleasant experience...do all you can to protect yourself...

But you've had plenty of recent rain and that's all it takes. Pools everywhere, it's almost impossible to eradicate.

Good points and good warnings. That's all I wanted to get out. Dry season is over, be careful.

I've never had dengue, but I have friends who have had it. They convinced me I want to avoid it if at all possible.

Lost two weeks of my life to dengue fever...continued weak for weeks after...not a very pleasant experience...do all you can to protect yourself...

Likewise. Got it here last February. Not fun.

Not sure dengue mosquitoes are aware of seasons- I think you can get it any time of year here.

But if you want to check out mosquitoes take dinner inside at Deck One, by the Ping. They keep the large doors to the river open (as it is convenient for staff serving outdoor tables), have the lights nice and bright and turn off the a/c. The mozzies love that place. But the staff are well aware of the problem and will provide huge cans of spray and might even turn on one ac unit if you ask nicely-and often.

Food is good but, unlike Arnold Schwarzenneger, we wont be back.....

Likewise. Got it here last February. Not fun.

Not sure dengue mosquitoes are aware of seasons- I think you can get it any time of year here.

But if you want to check out mosquitoes take dinner inside at Deck One, by the Ping. They keep the large doors to the river open (as it is convenient for staff serving outdoor tables), have the lights nice and bright and turn off the a/c. The mozzies love that place. But the staff are well aware of the problem and will provide huge cans of spray and might even turn on one ac unit if you ask nicely-and often.

Food is good but, unlike Arnold Schwarzenneger, we wont be back.....

Yes, I remember them trying to get me to pay the bill twice. Another well run CM eaterie.

blink.png