NCPO to brief foreign envoys

Lite Beer

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NCPO to meet foreign ambassadors on June 11

BANGKOK, 8 June 2014 (NNT) – The Foreign Ministry will invite foreign diplomats to a discussion with General Prayuth Chan-ocha, chief of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), this week.

According to the Permanent Secretary for the Foreign Affairs Ministry Sihasak Phuangketkeow, the NCPO will on June 11th summon foreign ambassadors and Thai envoys based overseas to a meeting, where Gen Prayuth will explain why the military needed to seize power on May 22nd and brief them on the NCPO’s measures and policies to restore peace and unity in the nation. Supreme Commander General Tanasak Patimapragorn will also be present at the meeting.

Earlier, Mr. Sihasak attended the ASEAN+3 Senior Officials Meeting which was held in Myanmar. In discussions with other ASEAN members he informed them of the current situation in Thailand and reassured them that diplomatic relations between Thailand and ASEAN would not be affected by the military coup and that international cooperation would be apply as usual.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-08 footer_n.gif

Real nations won't accept their reasons and/or potential shenanigans. It's that simple. You either have elections or you're a dictatorship.

I personally enjoy the peace, and will admit that so far the junta has done a good job and cleaning things up and settling the children down, but please, call it what it is. It's either a democracy, or it's a dictatorship. Even if it's temporary.

We also know that as soon as the military steps down, this madness starts all over again. It's easy to agree with your armed leaders when they have surrounded you and are the only ones holding the guns. It will unfortunately be business as usual sometime in the distant future. In the meantime, if they can back off the media censorship and internet filtering, I think they are doing a good job.

And "real nations" change their tune to suit themselves - the events in Ukraine have been a classic reversal.

Some 'real" nations have demonstrated they are happy to help remove democratically elected governments, or ignore the results of elections when it suits.

Not one 'real nation" has actually come out in support of Thaksin, Yingluck or their version of 'democracy". All simply follow the usual script of calling for elections, democratic and human rights principles to be observed and urging peace.

The military were forced to act with PTP's intransigence and ever increasing menacing but ludicrous CAPO proving nothing more than a state oppression mechanism.

A coup is a coup....nothing to explain...

Wrong.

Why was the coup necessary and what precipitated it are important factors.

CAPO - their increasing failure to do anything about attacks and murders whilst using threats and legal actions to intimidate PTP's opponents; the calls from PTP's supporters for treasonable insurrection; the recruiting, training, and arming of a private army openly and publicized by PTP; the increasing murders of those opposing PTP and innocents too; etc etc.

Maybe this explains why not one single country's government, anywhere in the world, has expressed support for the legitimacy and continued governance of PTP? Do you think that they may appreciate the illegality and propensity for corruption being governed from overseas by a convicted criminal fugitive may stimulate? Do you think this complete lack of support may be due to tacit approval for the removal of a very corrupt and inept government?

Of course words are chosen appropriately by the diplomats.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 2

I'm sure that all the ambassadors will attend this meeting, smile, pose for photos, and agree with the dictator --- if they are forced to at gunpoint.

The generals just don't get it. The whole world despises them.

I think you will find that apart from a few predictable words about democracy etc from a few world leaders a couple of weeks ago, the world has moved on. Nobody really cares - the media focus has gone onto other things.

The whole world does not despise the generals, in fact you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't have a vested interest in Thailand who actually cares (or even knows about) what is happening at the moment.

So messes always get sorted do they. I am trying hard to think of good democratic countries that have to resor to this.

Super good run transparent countries do NOT have mega messes like this. Just depends on what you r interpretation of Mess is. ??

"MY" interpretation of mess? Do you think it might be different from yours? Blood on the streets and in the fields. Families torn apart. People fighting each other. People hauled away at 3am, never seen again. And those are the good part of such messes.

I can't think of a decent country that didn't have all that and more. I doubt you can either. Even if you cite Canada, you're wrong. But there might be a few. I suppose you might cite the upside-down people of the antipodes, but their histories are not exactly free of blood or turmoil, any more than Canada's. But note that in these three "best examples possible" the military at no time, in no way even threatened to lift a finger. Thank goodness.

For sure, the fabulously, extravagantly free and powerful, democratic-type countries we often cite today - the US, France, England, Germany, Japan, and more - these went though messes that were thousands and thousands of times worse than anything Thailand can even imagine, let alone experience. Korea and Taiwan are fabulous successes - after massive messes much worse than Thailand.

In the countries where the military figured they could do it best, the military ACTUALLY made it worse - Germany, Japan, Korea as examples. In countries where the military stayed out, there were incredible messes and, eventually, those great countries you cite.

Setting up a "super good run transparent country" is pretty well always an incredibly messy, bloody experience, often lasting many decades. There are several countries going through it now. I know Thailand will continue, I only hope it won't get as bad as it got in the icon countries.

What the hell would YOU know about what the whole world thinks?

I have many people on my facebook account from all over the world and have had many conversations with them about what they have seen on their TV screens over the past 7 months.

They all said the same thing... 'That government needs to be removed'..... Now they have been, and all I have seen is worldwide support for the coup.

If every single one of your "people" say the same thing, maybe you should get to know a few more people. It's not healthy getting one sole unique lone point of view all the time. Nor does it make you at all informed. On the contrary. I live on a small soi, and I have a much greater variety of views than you're getting from the 2 billion internet users around you. Don't limit yourself, that's my advice.

There is no doubt Thailand is in many ways enjoying this timeout and hiatus to the screaming match. It's a wonderful red herring for you to slip in, given that no one said otherwise and it supposedly makes you look informed without actually making any point at all. But the "mess" *will* resume, of that there is no doubt at all. In what form, at what point, over what large or small event I have no idea at the moment. But making a decent nation is really, really important to many millions of Thai people.

They don't agree on a few important points, and this has made a mess, and eventually it will get sorted. It always does.

Finally, I'm not a fortune teller. Neither are you. So please st .... no, I take that back. Stop reading my mind. You don't know me, and you aren't qualified from long distance, plus you actually stink to high heaven at it and beclown yourself. I'll tell you what I think, you tell me what you think, and so on. That's why I elided the offensive, personal nonsense off your post's quote.

Although I get a kick out of this part. You are doing EXACTLY what the junta headquarters has ordered people not to do, to stop accusing each other, to stop using political epithets. You are proof, if any was needed, that just because the military steps in the political viewpoints and name-calling and finger-pointing and accusations won't change.

So thanks for this part, an apt demonstration of how it will only end when it ends, and not when some old pop-bellied man in a uniform shouts "stop":

What you are spouting is what you HOPE the world thinks because you are clearly a supporter of red opinion, and if you actually opened up your eye.... even the reds are supporting this, I know this, I live among red shirts and they have no gun at their heads, almost all of them are a lot happier that they are going to see a TRUE democracy in their future. Less money stolen by police and politicians, the more money for the Thai people.

But like I said. Stop mind-reading. You're really poor at it.

Memo NCPO when you brief the Australian envoy , Explain to him " Why" the Australian Chanel is off air and to newsman Jim Middleton, I thought you would have more sense than to air that UDD interview , Jim , you lowered your colours Thursday night mate. I rest my Case.bah.gif

Australia Network is still on the air and I believe they (ABC) ran the UDD interview to give expats and Australians both side of the story and not just the Junta's. That way people can make their own opinions. Media in Australia is not censored.

It may not be censored but the Government broadcaster the ABC is so left leaning it has become an embarrassment to most thinking people.

Real nations won't accept their reasons and/or potential shenanigans. It's that simple. You either have elections or you're a dictatorship.

I personally enjoy the peace, and will admit that so far the junta has done a good job and cleaning things up and settling the children down, but please, call it what it is. It's either a democracy, or it's a dictatorship. Even if it's temporary.

We also know that as soon as the military steps down, this madness starts all over again. It's easy to agree with your armed leaders when they have surrounded you and are the only ones holding the guns. It will unfortunately be business as usual sometime in the distant future. In the meantime, if they can back off the media censorship and internet filtering, I think they are doing a good job.

I pretty much agree with what you say except for the madness statement. The main players have been "rounded up" and the ones who are really guilty of various serious crimes ( Jatapon Natawood Charlerm Thida etc... ) will receive prison sentences. The military let bygones be bygones 4 years ago their not going to make the same mistake twice.

Regards

Bkkstooge

• Like 1

So messes always get sorted do they. I am trying hard to think of good democratic countries that have to resor to this.

Super good run transparent countries do NOT have mega messes like this. Just depends on what you r interpretation of Mess is. ??

"MY" interpretation of mess? Do you think it might be different from yours? Blood on the streets and in the fields. Families torn apart. People fighting each other. People hauled away at 3am, never seen again. And those are the good part of such messes.

I can't think of a decent country that didn't have all that and more. I doubt you can either. Even if you cite Canada, you're wrong. But there might be a few. I suppose you might cite the upside-down people of the antipodes, but their histories are not exactly free of blood or turmoil, any more than Canada's. But note that in these three "best examples possible" the military at no time, in no way even threatened to lift a finger. Thank goodness.

For sure, the fabulously, extravagantly free and powerful, democratic-type countries we often cite today - the US, France, England, Germany, Japan, and more - these went though messes that were thousands and thousands of times worse than anything Thailand can even imagine, let alone experience. Korea and Taiwan are fabulous successes - after massive messes much worse than Thailand.

In the countries where the military figured they could do it best, the military ACTUALLY made it worse - Germany, Japan, Korea as examples. In countries where the military stayed out, there were incredible messes and, eventually, those great countries you cite.

Setting up a "super good run transparent country" is pretty well always an incredibly messy, bloody experience, often lasting many decades. There are several countries going through it now. I know Thailand will continue, I only hope it won't get as bad as it got in the icon countries.

What the hell would YOU know about what the whole world thinks?

I have many people on my facebook account from all over the world and have had many conversations with them about what they have seen on their TV screens over the past 7 months.

They all said the same thing... 'That government needs to be removed'..... Now they have been, and all I have seen is worldwide support for the coup.

If every single one of your "people" say the same thing, maybe you should get to know a few more people. It's not healthy getting one sole unique lone point of view all the time. Nor does it make you at all informed. On the contrary. I live on a small soi, and I have a much greater variety of views than you're getting from the 2 billion internet users around you. Don't limit yourself, that's my advice.

There is no doubt Thailand is in many ways enjoying this timeout and hiatus to the screaming match. It's a wonderful red herring for you to slip in, given that no one said otherwise and it supposedly makes you look informed without actually making any point at all. But the "mess" *will* resume, of that there is no doubt at all. In what form, at what point, over what large or small event I have no idea at the moment. But making a decent nation is really, really important to many millions of Thai people.

They don't agree on a few important points, and this has made a mess, and eventually it will get sorted. It always does.

Finally, I'm not a fortune teller. Neither are you. So please st .... no, I take that back. Stop reading my mind. You don't know me, and you aren't qualified from long distance, plus you actually stink to high heaven at it and beclown yourself. I'll tell you what I think, you tell me what you think, and so on. That's why I elided the offensive, personal nonsense off your post's quote.

Although I get a kick out of this part. You are doing EXACTLY what the junta headquarters has ordered people not to do, to stop accusing each other, to stop using political epithets. You are proof, if any was needed, that just because the military steps in the political viewpoints and name-calling and finger-pointing and accusations won't change.

So thanks for this part, an apt demonstration of how it will only end when it ends, and not when some old pop-bellied man in a uniform shouts "stop":

What you are spouting is what you HOPE the world thinks because you are clearly a supporter of red opinion, and if you actually opened up your eye.... even the reds are supporting this, I know this, I live among red shirts and they have no gun at their heads, almost all of them are a lot happier that they are going to see a TRUE democracy in their future. Less money stolen by police and politicians, the more money for the Thai people.

But like I said. Stop mind-reading. You're really poor at it.

Better you keep living in that small soi. if this is what the theme is. Pro PTP.

It had to go no two other ways about it.

Army comes in to do the housekeeping your PTP was incapable of.

Your personal attack on the general could well be noted. you will deserve anything that comes of that remark.

Your personal insults to me are noted and not forgotten.

I have more knowledge of Thailand living here 32 years than you will ever dream about.

I have lived in 4 of the largest cities here, I have lived in the smallest of remote farm areas, Do not preach to me about your small soi---maybe you should get out of it and live in many parts before spouting off.

Keep your Shin Ideals--carry on general good stuff. what could be more beneficial than order even if it is controlled---welcome to the big clean up folks.

• Like 1

Wrong.

CAPO - their increasing failure to do anything about attacks and murders whilst using threats and legal actions to intimidate PTP's opponents; the calls from PTP's supporters for treasonable insurrection; the recruiting, training, and arming of a private army openly and publicized by PTP; the increasing murders of those opposing PTP and innocents too; etc etc.

Maybe this explains why not one single country's government, anywhere in the world, has expressed support for the legitimacy and continued governance of PTP? Do you think that they may appreciate the illegality and propensity for corruption being governed from overseas by a convicted criminal fugitive may stimulate? Do you think this complete lack of support may be due to tacit approval for the removal of a very corrupt and inept government?

Why on earth would would any government express "support for the legitimacy and continued governance of PTP" - that would just be partisan. The PTP were a caretaker government trying to hold an election until the coup turned that idea on it's head.

No, what the major World Governments are supporting is a quick return to civilian government, of whatever political flavour (by normal democratic means - not a Junta appointed government).

Edited by fab4

Wrong.

Why on earth would would any government express "support for the legitimacy and continued governance of PTP" - that would just be partisan. The PTP were a caretaker government trying to hold an election until the coup turned that idea on it's head.

No, what the major World Governments are supporting is a quick return to civilian government, of whatever political flavour (by normal democratic means - not a Junta appointed government).

Your first paragraph. quote " The ptp were a caretaker government trying to hold an election until the coup turned that idea on it's head "

Trying to hold--trying to be caretaker--and prior to that NOT trying to run a credible government.

for crying out loud man give it a rest , you've lost a leg off your chair and do not realize it. your lot are has beans, admit it.

The army when the projects that were undertaken by the PTP are dealt with and the guilty are exposed, then we can start to think about it.

Still want PTP back read on in the next few months then we will see what the Thai people think then.

I have more knowledge of Thailand living here 32 years than you will ever dream about.

What I thought. You need to stick around for a while and get some experience, kid.

If that's actually your appeal to authority, 32 years, if that's actually the sum of it for you, then, 555 yeah, you have quite a way to go.

post-52815-0-79879700-1402208744_thumb.j

It doesn't actually work this way.

Your personal attack on the general could well be noted. you will deserve anything that comes of that remark.

Oh my, and now a change from an appeal to authority to an actual threat FROM authority! Well, well who would have guessed that? That might be noted, although not by me within 60 seconds of posting this, just so it will exist.

Edited by wandasloan

Better you keep living in that small soi. if this is what the theme is. Pro PTP.

I have lived in 4 of the largest cities here, I have lived in the smallest of remote farm areas, Do not preach to me about your small soi---maybe you should get out of it and live in many parts before spouting off.

Keep your Shin Ideals--carry on general good stuff. what could be more beneficial than order even if it is controlled---welcome to the big clean up folks.

Wow!! what a post.. and for the 32 years you have lived here, you still can't see that there was "other" reasons for the coup, that will land you in prison for speaking about it. ??
I do love a lot of your posts but you've adopted a very "holier than thous" sentiment here.
Who are you to make thin veiled threats about comments about the General? If someone wants to call him names or criticise him, that's up to them, and not you to "warn them of consequences" and that you hope they deserve some form of punishment for it too? So you don't believe in free speech? Surley It's up to the Moderators on the site to decide what can and cannot be said, you think that Thai Military Intelligence has the ability to track people down on a forum, and punish them, even if they're not actually in Thailand, and not Thai subjects?? based on nicknames? You're having a laugh... really that's as absurd as it comes.
If you don't have a thick enough skin to let the personal insults go right over your head on an internet forum sir, then perhaps it's wise to find another past time than sitting at your keyboard all day getting wound up by the likes of me, and others, you said in another thread you were a former Grade one referee well you had to have a thick skin there, so why are you letting someone you don't know, and who you don't socialise with, and have no connection to wind you up? It's not worth getting into petty tit for tat stuff, it makes you look immature, and if you don't like what someone say, add them to your "ignore" list.
You're letting things get to you, but come one, the " I've been here longer than you stuff" is like spitting your dummy out of the pram, and if anything, you above all people with that experience and time in Thailand should know better ;) You should know about the stuff nobody's allowed to discuss, you've been there long enough to know all about the "Eastern Tigers" and their nepotism, and clique, in all your complaints about the PTP's failings, of which there isn't much argument there, you never seem to reference back to what life was like in Thailand 20 years ago, 30 years ago, I'd personally love to hear about how everything was these years ago from an interest point of view, and historical, the fact that you've lived through fair amount of Coups, and that they've all never ended well, wouldn't it also be true that stating this one may not either, based on historical facts? After all everyone keeps going on about the Red shirts, and historically this is what they have done in the past, so why can people not judge this coup based on others in the past? Don't they say that history has a way of repeating itself?
I think you're very passionate about what you write, and it's from the heart, but you seem to have "snapped" in this little outburst, again I'd love to hear about how life was and how the political scene was pre Thaksin years, so that it gives me a better understanding from someone who has been there, I can read about it online by searching, but it's always better to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak, and no I'm not calling you a horse, give us your pearls of wisdom and maybe people who are anti coup will stop comparing this coup, to all he dozens of other they've had since the 1930's..
Don't let things get to you here, it's the internet after all and you're having a hissy fit with a nickname with no face behind it ;)

BANGKOK, 8 June 2014 (NNT) – The Foreign Ministry will invite foreign diplomats to a discussion with General Prayuth Chan-ocha, chief of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), this week.

According to the Permanent Secretary for the Foreign Affairs Ministry Sihasak Phuangketkeow, the NCPO will on June 11th summon foreign ambassadors and Thai envoys based overseas to a meeting, where Gen Prayuth will explain why the military needed to seize power on May 22nd and brief them on the NCPO’s measures and policies to restore peace and unity in the nation. Supreme Commander General Tanasak Patimapragorn will also be present at the meeting.

Earlier, Mr. Sihasak attended the ASEAN+3 Senior Officials Meeting which was held in Myanmar. In discussions with other ASEAN members he informed them of the current situation in Thailand and reassured them that diplomatic relations between Thailand and ASEAN would not be affected by the military coup and that international cooperation would be apply as usual.

nntlogo.jpg

NCPO will on June 11th summon foreign ambassadors.

If they don't answer the summons, what then? Will arrest warrants be issued followed by expulsion from the country? That would certainly help their cause around the world.

Do they have the power to make orders to foreign diplomats?

• Like 1

Wow!! what a post.. and for the 32 years you have lived here, you still can't see that there was "other" reasons for the coup, that will land you in prison for speaking about it. ??
I do love a lot of your posts but you've adopted a very "holier than thous" sentiment here.
Who are you to make thin veiled threats about comments about the General? If someone wants to call him names or criticise him, that's up to them, and not you to "warn them of consequences" and that you hope they deserve some form of punishment for it too? So you don't believe in free speech? Surley It's up to the Moderators on the site to decide what can and cannot be said, you think that Thai Military Intelligence has the ability to track people down on a forum, and punish them, even if they're not actually in Thailand, and not Thai subjects?? based on nicknames? You're having a laugh... really that's as absurd as it comes.
If you don't have a thick enough skin to let the personal insults go right over your head on an internet forum sir, then perhaps it's wise to find another past time than sitting at your keyboard all day getting wound up by the likes of me, and others, you said in another thread you were a former Grade one referee well you had to have a thick skin there, so why are you letting someone you don't know, and who you don't socialise with, and have no connection to wind you up? It's not worth getting into petty tit for tat stuff, it makes you look immature, and if you don't like what someone say, add them to your "ignore" list.
You're letting things get to you, but come one, the " I've been here longer than you stuff" is like spitting your dummy out of the pram, and if anything, you above all people with that experience and time in Thailand should know better wink.png You should know about the stuff nobody's allowed to discuss, you've been there long enough to know all about the "Eastern Tigers" and their nepotism, and clique, in all your complaints about the PTP's failings, of which there isn't much argument there, you never seem to reference back to what life was like in Thailand 20 years ago, 30 years ago, I'd personally love to hear about how everything was these years ago from an interest point of view, and historical, the fact that you've lived through fair amount of Coups, and that they've all never ended well, wouldn't it also be true that stating this one may not either, based on historical facts? After all everyone keeps going on about the Red shirts, and historically this is what they have done in the past, so why can people not judge this coup based on others in the past? Don't they say that history has a way of repeating itself?
I think you're very passionate about what you write, and it's from the heart, but you seem to have "snapped" in this little outburst, again I'd love to hear about how life was and how the political scene was pre Thaksin years, so that it gives me a better understanding from someone who has been there, I can read about it online by searching, but it's always better to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak, and no I'm not calling you a horse, give us your pearls of wisdom and maybe people who are anti coup will stop comparing this coup, to all he dozens of other they've had since the 1930's..
Don't let things get to you here, it's the internet after all and you're having a hissy fit with a nickname with no face behind it wink.png

Thanks Doc., appreciate your concern re my stupid thinking here on forum.

I do not go on what happened in previous military takeovers, I base my modern thinking on what has just happened. NOT like your " it happened before and it will happen again, but that part was true when you talk about Thaksin so your thinking was not altogether old fashioned.

Because someone called the general ################## is not free speech it is ignorant and personal, hence my comment.

Class 1 football referee thanks not grade 1 as in school marks.

I enjoy the rants about ( defending the PTP) from your mates on here after all they must be right to do it as a dozen or so are involved.

All the other ones that condemn them like 1000 are misguided and bent in the head to think that PTP were up to no good.

Sitting at my keyboard all day ??? don't you think others cannot do it for me when I am out on business ???

Why should I give you any of my experience over the 32 years after slagging me off many times for only being a critic of a diabolical government---sorry mate my conscience is clear about what is right and wrong in government--I worked as an officer in one.

I would hate to look back and have on my conscience the fact that I seemed to work with others on a forum to deny most things about a bad corrupt government.

I will back the army at this time for Thai people sake UNTIL it is deemed to be not good so carry on general. I believe it is possible for leopards to change their spots. But in the Shins case NO.

nntlogo.jpg

If they don't answer the summons, what then? Will arrest warrants be issued followed by expulsion from the country? That would certainly help their cause around the world.

????? Chooka is this a joke ??? summon ??==urgent invitation to attend, nothing to do with the judge. DOH---invite get it dear.

I think governments in other countries, including my own, should remember how they always bang on about how it's all about 'what the local people want' etc., etc., and then actually take a look around Thailand since the coup. They will not find people downtrodden or in despair that the pride of democracy, the PTP, have been usurped but will see a people who are largely relieved to be shot of all the useless politicians on all sides and the endless daily violence thanks to a group who actually want what is best for the country and not themselves and who happen to be the military.

Remember too that if the government and the RTP had done their job properly there would have been no need for the coup in the first place.

• Like 1

I guess the majority of the foreign ambassadors will be currently be composing their responses to the "summons".

See #76. Oxford dictionary.--------------------------Quote. "summon foreign ambassadors"

Edited by ginjag

I guess the majority of the foreign ambassadors will be currently be composing their responses to the "summons".

See #76. Oxford dictionary.--------------------------Quote. "summon foreign ambassadors"

post-51-0-56123700-1402213480_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The so called "democratic" country's send there military on peacekeeping missions and sadly there are many casualties on both sides .

I see the current situation in Thailand as a peacefull peacekeeping mission and not as a "coup" .

• Like 1

I'm sure that all the ambassadors will attend this meeting, smile, pose for photos, and agree with the dictator --- if they are forced to at gunpoint.

The generals just don't get it. The whole world despises them.

The ambassadors didn't come the last time the army rulers had a meet and greet - they sent their subordinates, basically a diplomatic two finger salute.

So long as it's not a three fingered salute - they'd get locked up for that smile.png

LIE complete lie, the general stated the fact on TV, his words were about the 3 fingered salute "no problem with that -we the army have no fight with you"

Thanet-your on the wrong Planet.

Yet you can be dragged away in a van by said people for putting a flower in front of the Australian embassy. Great democracy you have there facepalm.gif

• Like 1

I think governments in other countries, including my own, should remember how they always bang on about how it's all about 'what the local people want' etc., etc., and then actually take a look around Thailand since the coup. They will not find people downtrodden or in despair that the pride of democracy, the PTP, have been usurped but will see a people who are largely relieved to be shot of all the useless politicians on all sides and the endless daily violence thanks to a group who actually want what is best for the country and not themselves and who happen to be the military.

Agreed. It is very similar to February, 2005, in fact. People were so happy with the pride of democracy, relieved to be shot of the useless politicians who had ruled them for so long. ESPECIALLY the people of Bangkok.

post-52815-0-91665600-1402216141_thumb.j

Then they got buyers' remorse. I don't blame them, don't get me wrong, but at some point the country will agree to live with even its bad choices until the next vote. Until then, messy and dependent on 10th Class referees to give them occasional timeouts like today.

It's semantics ;) however the Junta "summoned the Thai Ambassador to the UK" back to Thailand, I somehow don't think he seen it as a "polite invitation" to attend a meeting, the UK Government has "Summoned" several Foreign Diplomats to the Foreign Office over the years it's not an invitation to have a brew and some stickie buns, it's normally associated with a "stern lecture" or " exerting pressure".

I don't like it when someone "summons" me to the office either, as it means more than likely I'm about to get the riot act read to me, however when I'm asked to come to the office it's not something I feel apprehensive about ;)

nntlogo.jpg

????? Chooka is this a joke ??? summon ??==urgent invitation to attend, nothing to do with the judge. DOH---invite get it dear.

Fair enough my friend but you and I have a different interpretation of the term summoned. This is just a discussion and not intended to create a pissing completion.

I get invited to weddings and parties and have never been summoned. I have been summoned to the office of my boss, never invited.

The Junta summoned former ministers to come before them and those that refused where arrested, they weren't invited. They are using the same term to call ambassadors before them as they did for those they held in detention. Maybe they should have used the expression; "You are invited to attend a seminar where we will explain what we are doing" instead of you are summoned.

To me the term summoned is more of an directive/command or order to attend and not a personal invitation.

Summon

verb (used with object)

1. to call upon to do something specified.
2. to call for the presence of, as by command, message, or signal; call.
3. to call or notify to appear at a specified place, especially before a court: to summon a defendant.
4. to authorize or order a gathering of; call together by authority, as for deliberation or action: to summon parliament.
5. to call into action; rouse; call forth (often. followed by up ): to summon all one's courage.
An invitation is to make a POLITE formal request for someone to attend an event. To summon is a form of order.

Don't forget that foreign embassy staff from the ambassador to the man who taps the phones are no different from your ordinary ex pat in that we are all guests of the Kingdom of Thailand and as such are subject to their commands. Or else we can always leave.

• Like 2