NCPO to brief foreign envoys

Lite Beer

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think governments in other countries, including my own, should remember how they always bang on about how it's all about 'what the local people want' etc., etc., and then actually take a look around Thailand since the coup. They will not find people downtrodden or in despair that the pride of democracy, the PTP, have been usurped but will see a people who are largely relieved to be shot of all the useless politicians on all sides and the endless daily violence thanks to a group who actually want what is best for the country and not themselves and who happen to be the military.

Agreed. It is very similar to February, 2005, in fact. People were so happy with the pride of democracy, relieved to be shot of the useless politicians who had ruled them for so long. ESPECIALLY the people of Bangkok.

attachicon.gifThaiRakThaisweep2005elections_sm.jpg

Then they got buyers' remorse. I don't blame them, don't get me wrong, but at some point the country will agree to live with even its bad choices until the next vote. Until then, messy and dependent on 10th Class referees to give them occasional timeouts like today.

Thai Rak Thai, didn't that get banned.???

post-4641-1156693976.gif.pagespeed.ce.Jg

NCPO to meet foreign ambassadors on June 11

BANGKOK, 8 June 2014 (NNT) – The Foreign Ministry will invite foreign diplomats to a discussion with General Prayuth Chan-ocha, chief of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), this week.

According to the Permanent Secretary for the Foreign Affairs Ministry Sihasak Phuangketkeow, the NCPO will on June 11th summon foreign ambassadors and Thai envoys based overseas to a meeting, where Gen Prayuth will explain why the military needed to seize power on May 22nd and brief them on the NCPO’s measures and policies to restore peace and unity in the nation. Supreme Commander General Tanasak Patimapragorn will also be present at the meeting.

Earlier, Mr. Sihasak attended the ASEAN+3 Senior Officials Meeting which was held in Myanmar. In discussions with other ASEAN members he informed them of the current situation in Thailand and reassured them that diplomatic relations between Thailand and ASEAN would not be affected by the military coup and that international cooperation would be apply as usual.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2014-06-08 footer_n.gif

NCPO will on June 11th summon foreign ambassadors.

If they don't answer the summons, what then? Will arrest warrants be issued followed by expulsion from the country? That would certainly help their cause around the world.

Do they have the power to make orders to foreign diplomats?

????? Chooka is this a joke ??? summon ??==urgent invitation to attend, nothing to do with the judge. DOH---invite get it dear.

Fair enough my friend but you and I have a different interpretation of the term summoned. This is just a discussion and not intended to create a pissing completion.

I get invited to weddings and parties and have never been summoned. I have been summoned to the office of my boss, never invited.

The Junta summoned former ministers to come before them and those that refused where arrested, they weren't invited. They are using the same term to call ambassadors before them as they did for those they held in detention. Maybe they should have used the expression; "You are invited to attend a seminar where we will explain what we are doing" instead of you are summoned.

To me the term summoned is more of an directive/command or order to attend and not a personal invitation.

Summon

verb (used with object)

1. to call upon to do something specified.
2. to call for the presence of, as by command, message, or signal; call.
3. to call or notify to appear at a specified place, especially before a court: to summon a defendant.
4. to authorize or order a gathering of; call together by authority, as for deliberation or action: to summon parliament.
5. to call into action; rouse; call forth (often. followed by up ): to summon all one's courage.
An invitation is to make a POLITE formal request for someone to attend an event. To summon is a form of order.

easy to understand like the invitation usually gives the invited time to consider and respond.

To be summoned is more of a "rushed invitation" and is urgent you attend -maybe for your own good (example)

Your initial post was rushed and over exaggerated the word, like to be reprimanded military style but this was not the serious invite-summond--quick response or else. it was calling for urgent response for persons to be present.

BANGKOK, 8 June 2014 (NNT) The Foreign Ministry will invite foreign diplomats to a discussion with General Prayuth Chan-ocha, chief of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), this week.

According to the Permanent Secretary for the Foreign Affairs Ministry Sihasak Phuangketkeow, the NCPO will on June 11th summon foreign ambassadors and Thai envoys based overseas to a meeting, where Gen Prayuth will explain why the military needed to seize power on May 22nd and brief them on the NCPOs measures and policies to restore peace and unity in the nation. Supreme Commander General Tanasak Patimapragorn will also be present at the meeting.

Earlier, Mr. Sihasak attended the ASEAN+3 Senior Officials Meeting which was held in Myanmar. In discussions with other ASEAN members he informed them of the current situation in Thailand and reassured them that diplomatic relations between Thailand and ASEAN would not be affected by the military coup and that international cooperation would be apply as usual.

nntlogo.jpg

If they don't answer the summons, what then? Will arrest warrants be issued followed by expulsion from the country? That would certainly help their cause around the world.

????? Chooka is this a joke ??? summon ??==urgent invitation to attend, nothing to do with the judge. DOH---invite get it dear.

Fair enough my friend but you and I have a different interpretation of the term summoned. This is just a discussion and not intended to create a pissing completion.

I get invited to weddings and parties and have never been summoned. I have been summoned to the office of my boss, never invited.

The Junta summoned former ministers to come before them and those that refused where arrested, they weren't invited. They are using the same term to call ambassadors before them as they did for those they held in detention. Maybe they should have used the expression; "You are invited to attend a seminar where we will explain what we are doing" instead of you are summoned.

To me the term summoned is more of an directive/command or order to attend and not a personal invitation.

Summon

verb (used with object)

3. to call or notify to appear at a specified place, especially before a court: to summon a defendant.

4. to authorize or order a gathering of; call together by authority, as for deliberation or action: to summon parliament.

5. to call into action; rouse; call forth (often. followed by up ): to summon all one's courage.

An invitation is to make a POLITE formal request for someone to attend an event. To summon is a form of order.

Don't forget that foreign embassy staff from the ambassador to the man who taps the phones are no different from your ordinary ex pat in that we are all guests of the Kingdom of Thailand and as such are subject to their commands. Or else we can always leave.

Aren't embassies little bits of homeland on a foreign soil and generally treated as such by the host country?

I doubt if embassy personnel are subject to commands from anyone apart from their home country?

In many cases certain immunities even allow them to flout the laws of their host country, within reason of course.

• Like 2

BANGKOK, 8 June 2014 (NNT) The Foreign Ministry will invite foreign diplomats to a discussion with General Prayuth Chan-ocha, chief of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), this week.

According to the Permanent Secretary for the Foreign Affairs Ministry Sihasak Phuangketkeow, the NCPO will on June 11th summon foreign ambassadors and Thai envoys based overseas to a meeting, where Gen Prayuth will explain why the military needed to seize power on May 22nd and brief them on the NCPOs measures and policies to restore peace and unity in the nation. Supreme Commander General Tanasak Patimapragorn will also be present at the meeting.

nntlogo.jpg

Summon

verb (used with object)

Don't forget that foreign embassy staff from the ambassador to the man who taps the phones are no different from your ordinary ex pat in that we are all guests of the Kingdom of Thailand and as such are subject to their commands. Or else we can always leave.

Aren't embassies little bits of homeland on a foreign soil and generally treated as such by the host country?

I doubt if embassy personnel are subject to commands from anyone apart from their home country?

In many cases certain immunities even allow them to flout the laws of their host country, within reason of course.

You're trying to dig deep... but all you're getting is black under the nails.

• Like 1

nntlogo.jpg

Summon

verb (used with object)

True, the junta of Thailand can not just walk into the Australian Embassy as it is regarded as Australian soil. The same for every single Embassy in Thailand. For a Military force to invade an Embassy would be an act of war

• Like 2

You're trying to dig deep... but all you're getting is black under the nails.

Was my post incorrect?

• Like 2

Endorsement from China, Indonesia and Vietnam is hardly the dream ticket.

Not a bad start though. hell of a lot of clout there though.

Well it would be if there were such a thing. Let's kill this nonsense right here and now.

Indonesia spoke very strongly against the coup - very strongly. China and Vietnam made it clear they did NOT endorse the coup. In very similar language, both said they hoped Thailand would "very quickly" return to non-military rule.

These are interesting countries, now that you bring them up. Indonesia, like Thailand, is a former military dictatorship. But the communist regimes in China and Vietnam have always - always - maintained total civilian control over the military and there never has been even a slight whiff of a military coup in either of these countries. They may be dreadful regimes, but on this single issue, they are as far from a military coup as the US or Australia.

Yes let us get rid of this nonsense right here and now.

At the start they were against the coup. But after watching them they realized it was a good thing for Thailand and reversed their opinion.

Cambodia has not endorsed them but they have refused to let fugitives set up a shadow government in their country. Almost as good as an endorsement when you realize the close links Thaksin has with them.

turning out that many of the countries issuing travel warnings have insurance companies who pay more attention to the dangers and costs still selling travel and health insurance to Thailand.

I find it hard to believe that they can tell these bone head ambassadors and others any thing. They knew what Thailand was like before the coup and even a blind man can see the improvement since the coup. But then again they are politicians of the same caliber that got Thailand in to such a mess so not to expect them to understand.

nntlogo.jpg

Summon

verb (used with object)

Agree it should have been an invitation and not a summons. Others that were summons were held in detention and it would not be wise to detain foreign ambassadors because thier heads of state disagree with the coup
  • Like 1

True, the junta of Thailand can not just walk into the Australian Embassy as it is regarded as Australian soil. The same for every single Embassy in Thailand. For a Military force to invade an Embassy would be an act of war

What the heck are you and Thailand really on about---talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Thai to English lose a little in translation, Also I recall when in government in the UK, I was present when the ambassador of ##### was summond to Number Ten urgently to explain ######. Usually it is used when a countries government needs urgently to see someone. nothing more.

Knock it off you two why post all this over a word, just because it happens to annoy you that we have a proper caretaker now.

Summon

verb (used with object)

Agree it should have been an invitation and not a summons. Others that were summons were held in detention and it would not be wise to detain foreign ambassadors because thier heads of state disagree with the coup

IT WAS not a summons--they were summoned to attend------governments do summoned envoys to attend ----they are not going before a court-or a judge DOH

Summon

verb (used with object)

IT WAS not a summons--they were summoned to attend------governments do summoned envoys to attend ----they are not going before a court-or a judge DOH

Then invite them and not order them. To summon is to direct or order. Governments would be annoyed by this order against thier diplomats. Just say you are invited and rip by xx xx. No problem sorry sorting out my sock drawer can't make your propaganda speech.
  • Like 1

What the heck are you and Thailand really on about---talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Thai to English lose a little in translation, Also I recall when in government in the UK, I was present when the ambassador of ##### was summond to Number Ten urgently to explain ######. Usually it is used when a countries government needs urgently to see someone. nothing more.

Knock it off you two why post all this over a word, just because it happens to annoy you that we have a proper caretaker now.

post-51-0-10569100-1402231285_thumb.jpg

Summon

verb (used with object)

Just massaging my crystal ball here.

The foreign envoys will be summoned.

The Junta will explain the reasons behind the coup.

The foreigners will not agree that it is good.

The Junta will say that "The foreigners do not understand Thailand".

Just my crystal ball, yours may be different.

• Like 2

Then invite them and not order them. To summon is to direct or order. Governments would be annoyed by this order against thier diplomats. Just say you are invited and rip by xx xx. No problem sorry sorting out my sock drawer can't make your propaganda speech.

Example--A P.M does never invite a diplomat say from an embassy to attend on serious matters, he/she summon them to attend. that's all on serious or urgent matters this happens all over the world. It is government language.

No need to talk dirty I am not interested in your balls. sorry dear.

Example--A P.M does never invite a diplomat say from an embassy to attend on serious matters, he/she summon them to attend. that's all on serious or urgent matters this happens all over the world. It is government language.

diplomatic language is:-

Invite for discussions.

Summon for a telling off.

Note for a severe warning.

I would not read too much into a translation from Thai to English. Invites are very rarely ignored, but summonses are. If it was a summons then we will know tomorrow by who turns up.

• Like 1

I only have one ball that is crystal dear.

Better stay on Topic here. I wonder who will turn up.

• Like 1

I only have one ball that is crystal dear.

Better stay on Topic here. I wonder who will turn up.

Summond and summons are 2 different things in diplomatic terms. goodnight to you and your wind up trio.

ah but Thailand does not have a P.M at the moment. Thailand doesn't have a government. The military is not the government and has not been endorsed by anyone but themselves to govern. Who has sworn them in to govern the country???? Tell me what person in Thailand at this very moment has the power to order Ambassadors of other countries to report to him? What authority does the junta have over foreign embassies? The Junta hasn't been endorsed or sworn in as the government so it is still meaningless. It means nothing to the world and has no substance.

• Like 2

Endorsement from China, Indonesia and Vietnam is hardly the dream ticket.

Not a bad start though. hell of a lot of clout there though.

Well it would be if there were such a thing. Let's kill this nonsense right here and now.

Indonesia spoke very strongly against the coup - very strongly. China and Vietnam made it clear they did NOT endorse the coup. In very similar language, both said they hoped Thailand would "very quickly" return to non-military rule.

These are interesting countries, now that you bring them up. Indonesia, like Thailand, is a former military dictatorship. But the communist regimes in China and Vietnam have always - always - maintained total civilian control over the military and there never has been even a slight whiff of a military coup in either of these countries. They may be dreadful regimes, but on this single issue, they are as far from a military coup as the US or Australia.

Yes let us get rid of this nonsense right here and now.

At the start they were against the coup. But after watching them they realized it was a good thing for Thailand and reversed their opinion.

Cambodia has not endorsed them but they have refused to let fugitives set up a shadow government in their country. Almost as good as an endorsement when you realize the close links Thaksin has with them.

turning out that many of the countries issuing travel warnings have insurance companies who pay more attention to the dangers and costs still selling travel and health insurance to Thailand.

I find it hard to believe that they can tell these bone head ambassadors and others any thing. They knew what Thailand was like before the coup and even a blind man can see the improvement since the coup. But then again they are politicians of the same caliber that got Thailand in to such a mess so not to expect them to understand.

This statement is blatantly wrong. The reason that Cambodia would not even consider this is that it would be against the charter of ASEAN and as such would be a huge diplomatic risk to the whole region.

Not everything revolves around Thaksin, except in the yellow world some live in here. Must be a golden shower thing whistling.gif

• Like 2

ah but Thailand does not have a P.M at the moment. Thailand doesn't have a government. The military is not the government and has not been endorsed by anyone but themselves to govern. Who has sworn them in to govern the country???? Tell me what person in Thailand at this very moment has the power to order Ambassadors of other countries to report to him? What authority does the junta have over foreign embassies? The Junta hasn't been endorsed or sworn in as the government so it is still meaningless. It means nothing to the world and has no substance.
Didn't the King personally endorse the General and swear him in as the PM. I may be wrong but wasnt there a swearing in ceremony at the palace where the Junta was sworn in to be government

nntlogo.jpg

Summon

verb (used with object)

easy to understand like the invitation usually gives the invited time to consider and respond.

To be summoned is more of a "rushed invitation" and is urgent you attend -maybe for your own good (example)

Your initial post was rushed and over exaggerated the word, like to be reprimanded military style but this was not the serious invite-summond--quick response or else. it was calling for urgent response for persons to be present.

Being invited means you can refuse without being punished.

I'm sure that all the ambassadors will attend this meeting, smile, pose for photos, and agree with the dictator --- if they are forced to at gunpoint.

The generals just don't get it. The whole world despises them.

the whole world really...i dont think so...come over here and live its fine no problems that i can see since they got rid of the awful caretaker government ...

You are right, in that I'll qualify my previous statement. Perhaps not the whole world but practically the whole world has condemned the generals for usurping a civilian government under the barrel of the gun. Having conceded you this, I still can't think of an example of a civilised country that has actually endorsed the coup, but I can see lots of examples of countries that have robustly condemned it.

No civilised country has any respect for this kind of behaviour, and most countries are highly suspicious that the coup followed a boycott of democratic elections by the side that is aligned to the military. And, as has been said elsewhere here, rightly or wrongly, practically the whole world sees a country as being either a democracy or a tyranny. Countries that lock people up for voicing political opinions, court martial civilians, denying citizens the right to choose their masters, fall into the latter category.

Don't underestimate the power that the western world wields over Thailand's generals either. Lots of them are very rich people, with assets in the western world, and take a look at where all Thailand's military hardware comes from. I guess the generals will have to make concessions as soon as their supply of spare parts start to run out cheesy.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The have tried many times to inform foreign countries of what they are doing and why. Countries like Aust, the U.S and EU just aren't accepting what they are being told. As is evident by news stories posted on thaivisa.

Foreign ministry to step up efforts to create an understanding in the international community of post coup Thailand !

I think the international community pretty much understand and have shown their feelings and intentions!

There seems to be an equating of "informing" with agreement. There was an article recently titled "who will watch the Junta." The Army is in control, absolute control. The actions of the western countries should be seen as a simple check, kind of like, we are watching and listening to what you say you will do to make sure that you do it. Since there can not be any internal political pressure exerted to has as a check, the EU and the U.S. have stepped in to function in this capacity. It is not a bad thing for them to do, I think.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The have tried many times to inform foreign countries of what they are doing and why. Countries like Aust, the U.S and EU just aren't accepting what they are being told. As is evident by news stories posted on thaivisa.

Foreign ministry to step up efforts to create an understanding in the international community of post coup Thailand !

I think the international community pretty much understand and have shown their feelings and intentions!

There seems to be an equating of "informing" with agreement. There was an article recently titled "who will watch the Junta." The Army is in control, absolute control. The actions of the western countries should be seen as a simple check, kind of like, we are watching and listening to what you say you will do to make sure that you do it. Since there can not be any internal political pressure exerted to has as a check, the EU and the U.S. have stepped in to function in this capacity. It is not a bad thing for them to do, I think.

Agreed.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men." --- Lord Action

"Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it" --- William Pitt

"It is not only the slave or serf who is ameliorated in becoming free... the master himself did not gain less in every point of view,... for absolute power corrupts the best natures." --- Alphonse Marie Louis de Prat de Lamartine

I wonder if that is true. I think that many governments probably are well informed, but are 'obliged' to use some huff and puff language as part of the diplomatic rhetoric.

But, of course the world's media is looking for potential mayhem and chaos as its better news than the the quiet, but rapid changes achieved so far - without any blood shed.

• Like 1