what to do about our wild and crazy chicken chasing dog?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sirineou you are spot on when you say to train a dog to understand its the voice tone that works,plus a pocket full of treets.

having had racing greyhounds for 20yrs.i know how to deal with pups.although they have the blood in them to chase they still have to be taught to chase and not fight,it is a long process but rewarding in the end.as for teaching an old dog new tricks that saying goes out of the window with ours.the most funniest thing is the expression on his face when mrs.meat lets one rip,the look of discuss say's it all.do you think a dog can count,the wife does about 5rounds around our moo-ban every evening and I do 3 early morning,but if I want to take him back after 2 do you think he will go[no chance till he's had 3] yet I taught him not to drop anything on the streets if he needs to go even if he's only done 1 round he will pull me back to the house so he can have his sh-- in the garden,i did start a thread about 2-3yrs ago titled DOES YOU DOG AMAZE YOU well ours truly does.

• Like 1

The only good dog is a dead dog.

Greg, i feel sorry for you.

I can't help it, I just do.

yes I do as well.hope you don't live in cm.you might need one[dog]to come to your rescue after the next earthquake.

• Like 1

Get dog training collar the used to control barking. Attach to dogs balls with remote in hand if dog chases after give shock to nut sack three or for times should do the trick If not sure is funny to watch. cheesy.gif

Sounds like you know from experience. Is that what your wife/GF does to you when you take a trip to Nana Plaza?

Unfortunately, training a dog to not chase and kill chickens once they have realized that they are not only a toy to chase but, once they have tasted blood, they are an alternative food source is very difficult. Your first, and only option is to restrain them either by penning or chaining and keeping the chickens out of their territory.

Edited by wayned
  • Like 1

Get dog training collar the used to control barking. Attach to dogs balls with remote in hand if dog chases after give shock to nut sack three or for times should do the trick If not sure is funny to watch. cheesy.gif

Sounds like you know from experience. Is that what your wife/GF does to you when you take a trip to Nana Plaza?

The real problem starts when the punishment turns to pleasure.

• Like 1

So many opinions, so many criticisms, so many ''Xspurts''. I.ve raised and trained many dogs in my illustrious life, had only 1 dog that was intent on killing any and all chickens he could catch. Neighbors threatened to shoot him, the next time he killed one of their chickens. I had a lot of money tied up in this animal, so I did the grotesque and ''inhumane''thing. I took the last chicken he killed, and duct taped it to the back of his neck. I used enough duct tape to stick to him without being tight and come off. When the chicken had rotted, smelled so bad you couldnt get near the dog, and he had exhausted himself, daily trying to get that off of himself, and chicken parts were falling off, I finally cut the tape, wearing a mask and gloves, gave him baths with baking soda, vinegar, and shampoo. That dog, not only never went near a chicken again, if one just wandered in his direction, he would circle wide to avoid it. End of story.

Breaking a dog from chasing chickens is like breaking a husband from cheating on his wife....................almost impossible.

not impossible it happens every day,just ask JOHN BOBBITT.w00t.gifw00t.gifgiggle.gif

So many opinions, so many criticisms, so many ''Xspurts''. I.ve raised and trained many dogs in my illustrious life, had only 1 dog that was intent on killing any and all chickens he could catch. Neighbors threatened to shoot him, the next time he killed one of their chickens. I had a lot of money tied up in this animal, so I did the grotesque and ''inhumane''thing. I took the last chicken he killed, and duct taped it to the back of his neck. I used enough duct tape to stick to him without being tight and come off. When the chicken had rotted, smelled so bad you couldnt get near the dog, and he had exhausted himself, daily trying to get that off of himself, and chicken parts were falling off, I finally cut the tape, wearing a mask and gloves, gave him baths with baking soda, vinegar, and shampoo. That dog, not only never went near a chicken again, if one just wandered in his direction, he would circle wide to avoid it. End of story.

As the OP, my apologies for not replying to the so many suggestions while my internet was down. Lots of conflicting ideas and tend to lean towards the one above. He has not yet caught and killed a chicken....................it's just play for him and I've chased him off before anything but feathers were gone, but I've had dogs in the past that once they get a taste of a chicken, they don't stop.

featography..............

I've heard about that method before and so far, it sounds the most humane, but a bit smelly and miserable for those around him..

Also, let me clarify my mistake in the OP. I should have said 60 lbs, not 60 kilos, but it's all muscle and he's still growing.

thanks for all the feedback.............