what to do about our wild and crazy chicken chasing dog?

We have a 10+ month old mixed Thai breed dog that we keep in the confinement of our large fenced yard most of the day and give him [and us] a romp in the morning and once he gets out of the yard, he often bolts to our chickens until he catches one. This dog is only 60 kilos, but all muscle and uncontrollable and hyperactive.

I say casteration may help calm him down, but the wife doesn't see it that way........................any other suggestions??

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Castration helped my dog in the same circumstances but he is still a loony despite two LONG walks a day. I finally succumbed to building a wall around our 2 Rai perimeter ( inside the barbed wire ) just tall enough to stop him getting over it. He can now run free. The decision was not all dog and saviour of neighbours chickens, 16 month son will now be allowed out in the now safe garden ( rural secondary forest)

I have two similar dogs, who now spend most of their time on 3m chains.

Some of the more interesting things they have mauled, destroyed or completely eaten so far;

Half a table

All the bumpers of my parents hire car ( 8,000 deposit lost)

A Burberry umbrella

A Nokia mobile phone

The rear hydraulic hose of my Ninja, discovered going round a bend at about 45 degrees.

The electronic ABS cable to the rear brake on my Ninja

Too many shoes to mention

A leather collar

My neighbors spectacles, which were in his house ( they escaped)

A cuddly toy

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

God, doesn't anyone understand the meaning of actually exercising your dogs?! In western countries we have to walk them. We can't let them roam free. I have 4 Thai dogs & they are walked on leashes (unless in the park) at least 3 x daily. Plus they have chew toys etc. they destroy nothing & they certainly don't chase chickens!

• Like 2

SDM0712 What a wonderful life your dogs must have chained up most of the time.

Pity it is them and not you.

Another member for my ignore list for such an ignorant comment.

Why just suggest that I be chained up in their place, why the such half measures?

Why not speculate more about my bike sliding off the road in the example I gave due through hydraulic fluid all over the back wheel. I would be in the morgue now or no doubt with a few broken limbs.

I adore my dogs but until I can separate them from the car and bikes I am left little choice other then leave them in a field somewhere.

It's not a punishment, but I can't have them causing damage like this.

SDM

We have a 10+ month old mixed Thai breed dog that we keep in the confinement of our large fenced yard most of the day and give him [and us] a romp in the morning and once he gets out of the yard, he often bolts to our chickens until he catches one. This dog is only 60 kilos, but all muscle and uncontrollable and hyperactive.

I say casteration may help calm him down, but the wife doesn't see it that way........................any other suggestions??

It might be that the dog is bored. Despite being outside in a free area and having one exercise per day. We had a similar situation with one of our dogs. Once we start exercising him 3-4 times a day exhaustively he did not chew anything or was running after anything anymore. He was just too tired. If you do not have the possibility to exhaust him you could try and train him to run on a treadmill. It would as well work for the excruciating routine.

Just a suggestion out of my own experience.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Castration helped my dog in the same circumstances but he is still a loony despite two LONG walks a day. I finally succumbed to building a wall around our 2 Rai perimeter ( inside the barbed wire ) just tall enough to stop him getting over it. He can now run free. The decision was not all dog and saviour of neighbours chickens, 16 month son will now be allowed out in the now safe garden ( rural secondary forest)

we got ours at 12months old [malamute] husky his owner had to move and he was a chicken nut in fact anything that moved he had he was a complete nutter,we also couldn't handle him being a working dog bred to pull big loads,that was till we had him nuetured that was over 2yrs ago now he just looks at them,and he is only 25kilos so I don't know what 60kilo dog the op has,when ours wants to go you just go with him you just cant hold him.but he is our son and heir.

as for SDM0712 you need to feed them.

• Like 1

Attention! Dog owner you could learn a lot from the Dog man, he is an Irish guy that understands how dogs think and why they act the way they do.

Very interesting and informant videos, he has been on Australian news a few times and has a few books about training/controlling your dog.

Check him out you wont regret it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDreadlockDogMan/videos

We reluctantly chained our dog, letting hom out once a day followed by me with a big stick. He is a stupid Thai dog. He : digs up our garden, fights and nearly kills the neighbour's dog, and recently killed one of our chickens. He also roams off and comes back full of bite wounds. So he stays chained up. Alternative: castration, sell for food.

We reluctantly chained our dog, letting hom out once a day followed by me with a big stick. He is a stupid Thai dog. He : digs up our garden, fights and nearly kills the neighbour's dog, and recently killed one of our chickens. He also roams off and comes back full of bite wounds. So he stays chained up. Alternative: castration, sell for food.

Sorry but maybe you don't know how to be a good dog owner? Your meant to be the master of the dog?

• Like 1

If they still have their balls being a "good dog owner" only goes so far. Cut that rascal's balls off and he'll be a new dog. Course he'll want to eat you out of house and home, but its a fairly small price to pay.thumbsup.gif

It's called Prey Drive and perfectly natural, but you have to teach them what is right and what is wrong, or more pertinently, what you allow and what you do not. Try teaching hime to fetch a stick or a ball and then bring it back......this will satisfy his prey driven then feed him 1 x hour after exercise.......he will soon relies how he gets his needs met !

• Like 1

If they still have their balls being a "good dog owner" only goes so far. Cut that rascal's balls off and he'll be a new dog. Course he'll want to eat you out of house and home, but its a fairly small price to pay.thumbsup.gif

If that's your solution, why not just get a one of them robotic dogs from japan were you can program to suit your needs?

A real dog is one the is not neutered/castrated. Same a bull that is not castrated is a real bull not a bullock that is breed to produce meat after castration.

Edited by Display

If that's your solution, why not just get a one of them robotic dogs from japan were you can program to suit your needs?

The solution of choice for any owner of a male dog who is not intent on studding him out. Tried and true, and the dog, his owners and neighbors are invariably better off. The dog don't know he can't get laid. He's a dog.smile.png

The solution of choice for any owner of a male dog who is not intent on studding him out. Tried and true, and the dog, his owners and neighbors are invariably better off. The dog don't know he can't get laid. He's a dog.smile.png

"A real dog is one that is not neutered/castrated. Same a bull that is not castrated is a real bull not a bullock that is breed to produce meat after castration."

Edited by Display

Spend their life on 3m chains!!!

What a life they must have! and i'm sure keeping them on 3m chains has improved their destructive behaviour???!

I don't understand why some people get dogs, how about being responsible and taking the time to train and exercise your pet. Are you going to do the same with a child if it turns out a certain way that you didn't want due to minimal effort from yourself?

I would guess that the dogs were kept in the first place to guard all your worldly possessions *sigh* you know what they say, "when in Rome...." might aswell just dump them at the temple they would likely be better off

Anyway back to the OP I would suggest lots of exercise, that sounds like a big dog! and if it is muscular it will be wanting exercise. Perhaps seek out a dog trainer here, might be costly but sounds as though the dog is bored and needs something to occupy him. Maybe some chew things or a playmate as mentioned before (but the playmate might encourage the behaviour too!) I would imagine if you don't plan to breed him then castraction will calm him down a bit also, sounds as if he's bored and horny! think how you would feel seeing the same walls everyday, no interaction with others (except the same humans you see everyday) and absolutely no chance of sex, like ever lol I think I might wanna kill some chickens too!

• Like 1

I had both of my dogs snipped when they were old enough, and it definitely helped calm any aggression / defensive nature they had, although not too much. Doubt it would help with the chicken issue. My one dog would always kill the neighbor's chickens and drag them home though. The only way I solved that was moving into a new house that has a large enough gated yard where they can run full speed on their own. Then the front door just stays open from about 8am to 7pm, and they can go for a running burst any time they feel like it.

Walking them on a leash I don't think is any good. If that's your only option, then I guess it's better than nothing, but still. I can't run 40km/h like they can, and that's what they want to do when they're exercising. If I took them for walks, almost guaranteed they would want to come home out of boredom, not because they're tired. How am I supposed to tire one of them out? I'd be too tired to continue way before them.

Spend their life on 3m chains!!!

What a life they must have! and i'm sure keeping them on 3m chains has improved their destructive behaviour???!

I don't understand why some people get dogs, how about being responsible and taking the time to train and exercise your pet. Are you going to do the same with a child if it turns out a certain way that you didn't want due to minimal effort from yourself?

I would guess that the dogs were kept in the first place to guard all your worldly possessions *sigh* you know what they say, "when in Rome...." might aswell just dump them at the temple they would likely be better off

Anyway back to the OP I would suggest lots of exercise, that sounds like a big dog! and if it is muscular it will be wanting exercise. Perhaps seek out a dog trainer here, might be costly but sounds as though the dog is bored and needs something to occupy him. Maybe some chew things or a playmate as mentioned before (but the playmate might encourage the behaviour too!) I would imagine if you don't plan to breed him then castraction will calm him down a bit also, sounds as if he's bored and horny! think how you would feel seeing the same walls everyday, no interaction with others (except the same humans you see everyday) and absolutely no chance of sex, like ever lol I think I might wanna kill some chickens too!

Not another one!

"castraction will calm him down a bit also"

You shouldn't have a dog if you cant take care of his actions!

LMFAO did all of you grow up in a city apartment or something?

I've also done dog sitting back in the UK and found most behaviour problems can be rectified with proper training and attention, maybe castration is not necessary but it's worth researching into and I don't see why you wouldn't do it if you are not breeding?

I've also done dog sitting back in the UK and found most behaviour problems can be rectified with proper training and attention, maybe castration is not necessary but it's worth researching into and I don't see why you wouldn't do it if you are not breeding?

Maybe for some people each to their own.

But once you castrate you will change the Dog into a docile animal that will sit around eating, half the dog it used to be especially if you want your dog to secure your property etc.

A lot of the problems start when they are pups and their owner treat them like a baby, then they grow big and the owner can't handle them.

• Like 1

Sorry but maybe you don't know how to be a good dog owner? Your meant to be the master of the dog?
Nice one. We got this dog blessed on us, don't know his history. We have 7 others and I don't need to shout or hit them at all. 'come' means just that, 'out' means out and so on. I whisper mostly, they know.

The mut stays chained up (he is allowed off once a day, good fitness training for me) or gets eaten. I look after him.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

But once you castrate you will change the Dog into a docile animal that will sit around eating, half the dog it used to be especially if you want your dog to secure your property etc.

Ohhh, that's horse shit. Both of my dogs have had their nuts removed, and trust me, they're very defensive about protecting their home. Not a chance someone can even get close to the gate, let alone inside the yard. If someone comes by the gate, they get told by both dogs quite sternly to back away.

I'm not sure, because nobody has ever tried, but if someone tried to jump the gate, I'm quite confident my dogs would attack and that person would find themselves in the hospital. No guarantees as nobody has tried, but wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by Nautilus05
  • Like 2

Ohhh, that's horse shit. Both of my dogs have had their nuts removed, and trust me, they're very defensive about protecting their home. Not a chance someone can even get close to the gate, let alone inside the yard. If someone comes by the gate, they get told by both dogs quite sternly to back away.

I'm not sure, because nobody has ever tried, but if someone tried to jump the gate, I'm quite confident my dogs would attack and that person would find themselves in the hospital. No guarantees as nobody has tried, but wouldn't surprise me.

Most likely if someone jumped your fence and showed aggression to the dogs they would back off..lol there only making noise as they know that space!

Again why do you think a male bull is so dangerous?

But a male bull that has been castrated which is called a Bullock is so tame and is bred to eat and get fat then slathered for meat?

Edited by Display

Most likely if someone jumped your fence and showed aggression to the dogs they would back off..lol there only making noise as they know that space!

Again why do you think a male bull is so dangerous?

But a male bull that has been castrated which is called a Bullock is so tame and is bred to eat and get fat then slathered for meat?

What is it with the preoccupation with bulls and bullocks ? Did you do your dissertation on that subject ?