Farang Price @ Sirindhorn Museum Kalasin

Issangeorge

I hate to say this but, in a nutshell, if you don't like it don't go. If you feel Ok with the price then pay it and enjoy yourself.

What's wrong with getting all angry and sitting outside looking like a pillock.

No doubt the Thais were splitting their sides laughing at him.

I hate to say this but, in a nutshell, if you don't like it don't go. If you feel Ok with the price then pay it and enjoy yourself.

He didn't go.

He did go.

He just didn't enter and sat outside like a spoiled child.

OP, consider it tax for having a much easier and better life, with far more opportunities then most Thais could dream of.

Only 2.5 times the price, most are 10 times.....We all know its wrong, no argument for it...I have seen a gap year student $$$$$ in debt volunteering here and arriving on a 15K moped being charged THB 400 while a Thai in a 7 Million Baht Merc only gets charged THB 40

Are you all nuts guys????? As long as we do not pay any taxes to Thailand like thai citizensmostly are... We have no right in asking for the same price.... To buld a museum costs money,, and you and me we have NOT contributed at all to that!!

So one price for thai - and one price for falang is fair..... But most of you seems to look for something else than fair I guess.. It is mostly me me me me...

Glegolo

As a non-working foreigner living in Thailand, I pay as much in tax as the non-working Thai wife of the Thai bloke down the road yet she gets in for a lower price than me.

My wife pays income tax - which is what you're really talking about, I think. Why is my wife discriminated against in that her spouse is charged more than that Thai wife, who is also the spouse of a taxpayer? My wife & I pay local taxes for our home, pay vehicle taxes for our bikes & cars, pay VAT on purchases. Don't tell me I'm not a taxpayer here. However, I agree I'm not an INCOME tax payer - nor are many adult Thais.

Now tell, me, if it's a matter of tax payment, why doesn't that non-working Thai wife pay the same prices as me?

Don't get me wrong, I really don't care about double-pricing these days although I used to get angered by it. I'm quite happy to forego some of the crap attractions and confine my entry payments to those few-and-far-between attractions I'm really interested in, in which case I'll try for Thai price but if they won't play, foreigner price is acceptable.

Oh, another thought. Thais living in "our" countries full-time also don't pay tax in Thailand yet get in at Thai rate. Should they be charged foreigner rate too?

How many taxes does the average tourist pay in ANY country to which they take a holiday? Using your ludicrous criteria, dual pricing would be rife across the globe, yet it isn't.

Most tourists to Thailand will pay tax on every beer, hotels, meals and so on so your argument falls flat on it's backside I'd guess that after 11 years here Isaangeorge has worked here, therefore paid plenty of tax

Not that I am agreeing or disagreeing but do know that if one is a Florida resident, he/she can access Disney World etc for a cheaper rate than the rest of us.

http://allears.net/pl/florid1.htm

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I'm certain that I, as a non-USA citizen, could get into Disney World at a cheaper rate if I could PROVE I was a local resident (whatever criteria is used to determine that), no matter what visa I was using to stay in USA.

That's the big difference between discounts for locals in Thailand and, in this case, USA but it's also true in my country - the discount is for locals NOT locals of a certain demographic. I could prove I lived in Thailand 'til the cows came home yet still not get local rate.

• Like 1

How many taxes does the average tourist pay in ANY country to which they take a holiday? Using your ludicrous criteria, dual pricing would be rife across the globe, yet it isn't.

Most tourists to Thailand will pay tax on every beer, hotels, meals and so on so your argument falls flat on it's backside I'd guess that after 11 years here Isaangeorge has worked here, therefore paid plenty of tax

Not that I am agreeing or disagreeing but do know that if one is a Florida resident, he/she can access Disney World etc for a cheaper rate than the rest of us.

http://allears.net/pl/florid1.htm

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I'm certain that I, as a non-USA citizen, could get into Disney World at a cheaper rate if I could PROVE I was a local resident (whatever criteria is used to determine that), no matter what visa I was using to stay in USA.

That's the big difference between discounts for locals in Thailand and, in this case, USA but it's also true in my country - the discount is for locals NOT locals of a certain demographic. I could prove I lived in Thailand 'til the cows came home yet still not get local rate.

And its not a 10th of the normal price, what is the discount for locals in Florida..5%?...10 times the amount is blatant extortion...Just dont even bother thinking about anything that charges more for being a Foreigner, can stick it up their jacksy

In answer to the threadstarter..... How much taxes are you paying to Thailand???? I think that, THAT should be the main issue here...

Most people who lives here NEVER pay taxes, and are not contributing that way to Thailand..... So why should we go in for the very same price as a thai citizen,, are you nuts guys??

Glegolo

I pay at least ฿50,000 a year just in the VAT and pay more in gas taxes etcetera. Plus I was paying tax when I was working here. I venture to say I pay more tax than 75% of the people of Isaan.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Are you all nuts guys????? As long as we do not pay any taxes to Thailand like thai citizensmostly are... We have no right in asking for the same price.... To buld a museum costs money,, and you and me we have NOT contributed at all to that!!

So one price for thai - and one price for falang is fair..... But most of you seems to look for something else than fair I guess.. It is mostly me me me me...

Glegolo

You are of course 100 per cent wrong!smile.png

Different pricing is racist pure and simple. As for our contribution to Thai society we as foreigners in this country contribute millions of baht to the Thai economy. That's right. Millions as some build houses, others rent and we all shop.

Let us also not forget border runs, Visas etc.

• Like 1

Glegolo

From which planet are you? 1. We all pay taxes on all goods we buy, even for nuts.

2.. Okay,you might have your midlife crisis, but what would be,if a Thai would have to pay more money to get into a museum, let's say in Germany?

3. Now, please think about, who the nutty one is.

• Like 1

Okay, people are correct when then say we cannot win, but I wonder if it does any harm to let the organisations know we don't like the dual pricing. So I can sympathise with George.

It doesn't get to the "organisation". The women on the counter just shrugs and serves the next person. Even if it did, they wouldn't care less, much more money made with volume in Thais, and tourists who know no better or care not a whit. I doubt any Thai business here has one iota of just how many farang expats there are here - most think its small fry (and it mostly is - excepting the obvious 3 places). Anyone ever had a Thai survey aimed at expats to see if we are worth catering to? If they did, places like the OP would offer annual passes for a small fee that gives Thai price and win all way around.

It is actually illegal here for non-state companies to dual price, and one day it may change - more likely though they will simply say "100 baht entry - promotion, save 60 baht on showing Thai Id card" (same, same, but different!).

Edited by wolf5370

In answer to the threadstarter..... How much taxes are you paying to Thailand???? I think that, THAT should be the main issue here...

Most people who lives here NEVER pay taxes, and are not contributing that way to Thailand..... So why should we go in for the very same price as a thai citizen,, are you nuts guys??

Glegolo

...and how many Thais pay income tax? Less than 10% of working Thais do. How many of these companies that own and run these venues are funded by taxes? Very few - other than National Parks (which have a legal mandate to dual charge - private companies do not!). Should everyone take their tax rreturns with them? Many expats here pay taxes, when they do they are much more than most tax paying Thais pay too.

Okay, people are correct when then say we cannot win, but I wonder if it does any harm to let the organisations know we don't like the dual pricing. So I can sympathise with George.

It doesn't get to the "organisation". The women on the counter just shrugs and serves the next person. Even if it did, they wouldn't care less, much more money made with volume in Thais, and tourists who know no better or care not a whit. I doubt any Thai business here has one iota of just how many farang expats there are here - most think its small fry (and it mostly is - excepting the obvious 3 places). Anyone ever had a Thai survey aimed at expats to see if we are worth catering to? If they did, places like the OP would offer annual passes for a small fee that gives Thai price and win all way around.

It is actually illegal here for non-state companies to dual price, and one day it may change - more likely though they will simply say "100 baht entry - promotion, save 60 baht on showing Thai Id card" (same, same, but different!).

Even a simple Thai drivers license will solve such an immense issue.

Maybe you should read the OP - he tried that.

• Like 1

You cannot say that a Thai driving licence WILL solve the problem, because you're most certainly wrong there. It MIGHT solve the issue but it's entirely at the discretion of the ticket seller - some are willing to give you Thai price if you show your Thai licence, some are not and no amount of pushing your driving licence under their noses will change that.

• Like 1

You cannot say that a Thai driving licence WILL solve the problem, because you're most certainly wrong there. It MIGHT solve the issue but it's entirely at the discretion of the ticket seller - some are willing to give you Thai price if you show your Thai licence, some are not and no amount of pushing your driving licence under their noses will change that.

A driving licence is better than nothing and has worked for me in many places It works best when presented with a smile and the phrase pom mai chai nak thaawng thiaao (I am not a tourist).

A driving licence is better than nothing and has worked for me in many places It works best when presented with a smile and the phrase pom mai chai nak thaawng thiaao (I am not a tourist).

Good point Jip.

I wonder how many of the posters on here, who feel hard done by because they are not accepted into the community, have bothered to complain in Thai.

I have never had a problem. I talk to them in Thai and explain my own situation. To date it has always worked.

Just payed 3 times as much as my friend for a ( NON RESIDENT FISHING LICENSE ).U.S.A.

I only live about 10 miles from him, but there is a state border in between.

The same with hunting licenses. It's you don't pay income taxes here they say, you pay more.

But then I just got a 10% discount at a local hotel because i had a local I.D.

I don't care when they ask for more money at some places in Thailand, I just let my

pissed off wife deal with it. She almost always gets her way.If not we all leave.

But I think that's not right either.I DO NOT PAY INCOME TAXES IN THAILAND.

I did not help in anyway to finance the construction of these places.

Somebody payed for these public places. Maybe local taxpayers???

Tourist or not it's plain and simple racism. And it's the first time I've heard about this two price system in Isaan except Phimai outside Korat where it's 100 Baht farlang and 25 Baht Thai.

I NEVER go to places like that. And I hope no one else does either. Because I think that is the way to go to get rid off this garbage. I would say "shame on you Thailand".

If this sums up Isaan for you, than NORLUND you havent been around much I dare to say. the two pricing system is

everywhere for God sake... everywhere!!

Glegolo

Where you have tourists you will probably have this two price system. Places like Surin. But I've been "all over" Isaan and the only place where I've seen it is in Phimai. In and around Maha Sarakham where I live, to my knowledge, it doesn't exist.

But now I'm NOT talking about hotel prices. Only about sights like Phimai, tempels and museums.

Most of these museums and such are crap anyway, so you ain't missing much.

Whilst i tend to agree with the quality of the museums etc i may have chosen a more subtle way of describing them

in any case i took more pleasure out of my family's enjoyment in showing me the local venues

to add to that and closer to the original subject the last time i went to the dinosaur museum it was free as it was kids day Thailand everyone paid nothing tongue.png

Mostly crap then.

I agree.

Not worth the gas for the car and entrance fee to be there.

Mega disappointment.

I guess it was a bit better when it opened the first time.

But in good old Thai style, maintenance does not exist here, either because they don't care or the maintenance money went somewhere else.

Either way, it is a run down facility.

Sit down and enjoy a favorite beverage for the same amount of money is amazingly more rewarding.

Most of these museums and such are crap anyway, so you ain't missing much.

Whilst i tend to agree with the quality of the museums etc i may have chosen a more subtle way of describing them

in any case i took more pleasure out of my family's enjoyment in showing me the local venues

to add to that and closer to the original subject the last time i went to the dinosaur museum it was free as it was kids day Thailand everyone paid nothing tongue.png

Mostly crap then.

I agree.

Not worth the gas for the car and entrance fee to be there.

Mega disappointment.

I guess it was a bit better when it opened the first time.

But in good old Thai style, maintenance does not exist here, either because they don't care or the maintenance money went somewhere else.

Either way, it is a run down facility.

Sit down and enjoy a favorite beverage for the same amount of money is amazingly more rewarding.

The Dinosaur Museum in Kalasin is first class and worth the ฿100, the reason I didn't go in was because I have toured it many times before and was a bit tired so felt this was a good time to give a little protest and wait outside, they had nice seats to sit on. The main reason I posted this, was because I thought I read somewhere that if you showed a Thai driver's license, you were admitted for the Thai price and I was just trying to get some confirmation, so far it looks like I was wrong.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Choice whether to accept a Tha DL or House book or any other form of ID to "Forget the Farang Addmission Price" is most likey not up to the Ticket Taker, but rather someone much higher up on the Management Scale... The person selling tickets is just doing what they have been told, which was probably "Farang price is 100 Baht." And as with most Thai's, they are not about to question anything told to them by someone higher up the "Management / Status Chain"...

Pianoman