Thaksin Shinawatra Will Go On Trial In September

Jai Dee

Trial filed by American against caretaker PM to start in Sept

A Criminal suit filed by an American businessman against caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will go on trial in September, a Thai court said on Monday.

The South Bangkok Criminal Court said the trial, involving a business venture that dated back to the late 1980s, will start on September 18.

American businessman William L Monson filed criminal charges May 2, after winning a civil court case last year against Thaksin.

The legal wrangling dated back to 1989, when Monson claims Thaksin - who was starting to build his telecommunications business - violated an agreement to jointly operate a cable television enterprise, seized transmission equipment and levied criminal charges against Monson, his company and his staff.

Both parties filed several lawsuits against each other in Thailand and the United States.

Monson's successful Clearview Cable TV company, based in Seattle, Washington, moved into Thailand in the early 1980s and forged a joint venture, Video Link, with Thaksin's Shinawatra Computer and International Broadcasting Corp. in 1985.

Thaksin was initially able to facilitate the required official approvals of the deal, but then the government halted it. Thaksin and Monson negotiated another agreement, hoping to restart operations.

Monson says Thaksin abruptly violated the agreement, and announced that he, Thaksin, would operate the cable system alone.

Thai police, Monson says, then broke into his offices to remove transmission equipment, while his manager was taken to jail, warrants were issued for Monson and criminal charges levied against him, his company and staff. A Thai court later dismissed the charges.

Source: The Nation and Associated Press - 19 June 2006

Hmmm... "a bit more on the plate" for the embattled "Dr."

Facing trouble on so many fronts...

A more deserving individual can not be found...

Additonal posts on the pending trial from previous threads:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...ndpost&p=740276

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...ndpost&p=736420

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...ndpost&p=736337

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...ndpost&p=736285

Here's a little more information about this story. If this is true, all I can say it that Thaksin's admission about "Hey, this is Thailand," says a lot about his character and his true self. :o

Past lawsuit catches up with Thaksin

By David Ogan 04 May 2006

The Bangkok South Criminal Court yesterday decided to hear a criminal case against caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra that was filed more than 10 years ago by his former American business partner in a now defunct cable television joint-venture.

William Monson, an American businessman, the plaintiff, was accompanied by former senators Kraisak Choonhavan and Nirand Pitakwatachara at a press conference yesterday evening at Parliament House to announce the resumption of a criminal case against Thaksin, filed in 1995, that had been accepted by the court.

Alleging that Thaksin had “stolen” his idea to form International Broadcasting Corporation (IBC) Plc, the country’s first and largest cable TV company in the 1980s, Monson claimed that Thaksin had harassed him with a series of civil cases in both the Civil and Appeals courts, which later vindicated him of any wrongdoings.

“I realize where Thaksin is at now in the political process in Thailand,” Monson said. “But I think it is my job to look for justice.” The Supreme Court is expecting to rule on the case shortly, according to Monson.

IBC was part of the Shinawatra Group before it was merged with UTV, the second-largest cable TV operator then, and a Charoen Pokphand (CP) Group subsidiary, to become UBC in the late 1990s, now the country’s only major cable TV operator.

Monson explained that he was interested in introducing cable TV to Thailand and approached the Mass Communications Organization of Thailand (MCOT) in 1980 to consider the idea. MCOT directors then introduced him to Thaksin.

According to Monson, Thaksin agreed to “politick” his way and get the authorities to grant a cable broadcasting license.

However, the government froze IBC’s broadcasts after only a few months due to the limitations on private operators to broadcast wireless cable signals.

However, when the Chatchai Choonhavan government came to power in 1988, and the opportunity arose to restart the business, Thaksin said he was no longer keen, agreed to sell his stake in IBC, and a contract was drawn up between them, according to Monson.

“However, while negotiations on the license were going on, Thaksin announced that he had decided to do the business and my companies were welcome to supply equipment and programming, but it would be his business,” Monson said.

“[When] I asked him [about] all of our contracts and my payments, he said: ‘Hey, this is Thailand’,” Monson continued. “So I guess it meant he could do whatever he wanted to do. The next day, he demanded that the equipment be handed over to him [as it was needed] to get the license. I said no.” Following that, Monson claimed, Thong Lor station police officers, Thaksin’s wife Khunying Pojaman and MCOT officials appeared at his office to demand the equipment, which was taken away, and Monson and his Thai staff were arrested.

A legal battle then ensued.

“Thaksin [informed] the courts that I was an employee and [had stolen] the equipment, which was the opposite of the truth,” Monson said.

Monson instituted civil and criminal actions against Thaksin in Thailand and the US. “My lawyer asked [him] in Seattle, where his depositions were taken, what he knew about [the] cable TV business before meeting [me],” Monson said. “His answer was that he was a cable TV customer when he went to university in Texas.” “Basically, I was his teacher and he was a good student.” Pramok Sutabutr, a former MCOT director who confessed to introducing Thaksin to Monson, was present at yesterday’s press conference, and he explained the business conflict.

Under the agreement between IBC and MCOT, the broadcasting equipment had to be “given” to MCOT, which Monson had refused to do under his agreement with Thaksin, said Pramok.

“IBC wanted to acquire the equipment and [lodged a complaint] with the police, and filed civil action against Monson for embezzlement,” Pramok said. “Monson then filed a criminal lawsuit against Thaksin in 1995 for [making] false accusations, but the criminal case had to wait until all civil proceedings were over.” Both the Civil and Appeals courts found Monson innocent of the charge, and he sought to revive his criminal case against Thaksin.

The Bangkok South Criminal Court has accepted his motion, and has scheduled June 19 for the first hearing, according to Pramok.

Monson denied he was taking advantage of the current political turmoil to relieve his animosity against the embattled caretaker prime minister, and added that he was not bringing this matter up at this time for the sake of money or pleasure.

Source: http://www.ihtthaiday.com/IHT/ViewNews.asp...D=9490000058622

Thaksin to stand trial for perjury on Sept 18

Court says no need for criminal trial to wait until appeals in civil suit end

The Southern Bangkok Criminal Court yesterday scheduled a September 18 trial date for a lawsuit filed by an American businessman against caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra over their cable television business venture that dates back to the late 1980s.

Thaksin is accused of perjury, a charge that carries a maximum penalty of seven years' imprisonment.

Continued here:

http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/06/20/hea...es_30006856.php