Expat groups require to register with thai government to be legal

jarhead50200

For example does the EXPAT group have to legally register with the thai government in order to meet on a monthly basis? Is that simple enough for you to understand?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Lets see how many time i am already reg.

Immigration

Labor dept for wp

Revenue dept for tax id

Foreign affairs for marriage

Social security dept

Transport dept for drivers license

90 day reports immig again

Probably some department i can't remember for my kids

Did i miss any? Lol

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

In the future, it may be helpful to you to simply type your questions/comments in your native language and run it through google translate. It would help in getting you point across..

For example does the EXPAT group have to legally register with the thai government in order to meet on a monthly basis? Is that simple enough for you to understand?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A requirement under Thai law. Ex pat groups should be registered as a non profit organisation, many are also fund raising for local charities

Again, some kind of source would be good.

For a short time I was on the board of an expat group in Pattaya, but as an example:

http://www.expatexchange.com/advice/74/2406/108/Thailand/Info-about-Bangkok

These groups fall under the same rules as Thai organizations like Thai Rotary clubs, bridge clubs, travel groups, social groups associated with a wat, parent organizations for a private school, etc.

Where they would differ from a Thai organization is if they engage in a fund-raising activity, such as the fair last fall at JJ Market which was organized by several expat organizations. They obtained a temporary work permit for their members to be able to participate in the work needed to stage that fair. Chiang Mai Friends has also obtained similar temporary work permit for its members when they've engage in activities like tree planing to beautify the city. A Thai organization wouldn't have to do that.

Edited by NancyL

Please remember that past rules and regulations are not applicable right now.

Under the current martial law, gatherings five people or more are prohibited. Punishment for violating this order can be one year in prison.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/asia/south-east-asia/story/thailand-coup-army-bans-groups-more-five-people-gathering-20140522

Edited by mesquite

These groups fall under the same rules as Thai organizations like Thai Rotary clubs, bridge clubs, travel groups, social groups associated with a wat, parent organizations for a private school, etc.

Where they would differ from a Thai organization is if they engage in a fund-raising activity, such as the fair last fall at JJ Market which was organized by several expat organizations. They obtained a temporary work permit for their members to be able to participate in the work needed to stage that fair. Chiang Mai Friends has also obtained similar temporary work permit for its members when they've engage in activities like tree planing to beautify the city. A Thai organization wouldn't have to do that.

Thanks Nancy I was getting worried about gardening clubs made up of Ex Pats and bridge clubs.

As for the gathering of five people never been enforced unless they were for political reasons. Been a few groups of 5 or more for breaking the curfew law. Mostly concerned with drinkers.

Thanks Nancy I was getting worried about gardening clubs made up of Ex Pats and bridge clubs.

As for the gathering of five people never been enforced unless they were for political reasons. Been a few groups of 5 or more for breaking the curfew law. Mostly concerned with drinkers.

Convincing a group of armed soldiers that your gathering is not political might be difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand sky ohm. San nmfg

A requirement under Thai law. Ex pat groups should be registered as a non profit organisation, many are also fund raising for local charities

For a short time I was on the board of an expat group in Pattaya, but as an example:

That describes a group, but it doesn't describe the registration requirements nor with whom you are supposed to register. It just says that they are "in the process".....

Most sources describe the ban as either being "political gatherings of more than five people" or "public gatherings of more than five people" Not simply a ban on "gatherings of more than five people" That would rule out many family dinners, after all.

Prior to the May 24 CM Expats Club General Meeting, I checked with the Le Meridien hotel to see if they thought it a good idea to hold the meeting as planned. The food & beverage manager said the ban applied to political gatherings and public demonstrations -- not private club meetings in a hotel ballroom. Since it was a daytime meeting, no worries about the curfew, either. It was an extremely well-attended meeting, with no hint that the authorities were worried about all the foreigners coming in-and-out of the hotel. Le Meridien was happy for the business, too, since other meetings scheduled for that weekend had cancelled due to martial law.

Most sources describe the ban as either being "political gatherings of more than five people" or "public gatherings of more than five people" Not simply a ban on "gatherings of more than five people" That would rule out many family dinners, after all.

Prior to the May 24 CM Expats Club General Meeting, I checked with the Le Meridien hotel to see if they thought it a good idea to hold the meeting as planned. The food & beverage manager said the ban applied to political gatherings and public demonstrations -- not private club meetings in a hotel ballroom. Since it was a daytime meeting, no worries about the curfew, either. It was an extremely well-attended meeting, with no hint that the authorities were worried about all the foreigners coming in-and-out of the hotel. Le Meridien was happy for the business, too, since other meetings scheduled for that weekend had cancelled due to martial law.

Yes I attended that meeting and it seems to me there was an awful lot of visitors.

Also the Friday morning coffee seem to be about the biggest I have been to. Don't know for sure as I don't always go to them. No soldiers in sight at either venue.

OP, if you could be a bit more specific about what sort of group you are talking about, then I’m sure you would get very relevant information from this forum.

For example…

A motorbike/reading/dining/golfing/social group need not register with anyone (assuming it is simply a getting together of like-minded people socially);

If money starts changing hands, then it’s likely to be some sort of business and there are clear rules about businesses and their registration requirements;

Then there’s the grey area in the middle - NGOs (Non-Governmental Organisations). Many of these, despite their name, are actually sponsored by governments; but the smaller ones (these are the ones which are relevant to this discussion) are usually set up by like-minded people – some are purely charitable in nature (but foreign volunteers still need work permits), some are businesses in disguise – usually because the founders want to avoid tax or because they simply lack the ability to run a business, and some are just fronts for people who cannot get a long-term (or renewable) visa any other way. Examples of each type are well represented in Chiang Mai; the latter two types are operating outside of the law.

That describes a group, but it doesn't describe the registration requirements nor with whom you are supposed to register. It just says that they are "in the process".....

if you are wish to the know the detail of Thai legal requirements and process contact one of the ex pat clubs.

Edited by simple1