Thai food exports expected to grow no less than 5 percent this year

webfact

Food exports expected to grow no less than 5% this year

PNECO570609001000201_09062014_113253.jpg

BANGKOK, 9 June 2014 (NNT) – The Ministry of Industry says food exports will expand by at least 5 percent this year.

According to the National Food Institute (NFI), Ministry of Industry, Thailand would see a 5 percent growth in its food exports, with a combined value of 970 billion baht.

It explained that in the first half of 2014, the growth would only be between 2 and 3 percent, but would start to pick up in the latter half. By the end of the year, the growth figure should reach 5 percent as expected.

The NFI further revealed that the largest market of Thai food exports is ASEAN, followed by Japan, while the value of food exported to these markets each year amounts to 300 billion and 140 billion baht respectively.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-09 footer_n.gif

Aiming to be the hub of ASEAN food exports.

Take a guess how many countries in the world, including Thailand, export significantly more food than they import.

This article is about food exports. Thailand isn't even in the top ten in the world, no guessing required.

This article is about food exports. Thailand isn't even in the top ten in the world, no guessing required.

Are you certain? You should give Reuters a call then.

post-52815-0-95268300-1402312403_thumb.j

Yes, I know isn't it fabulous I gave you a gotcha?

Not so fast. You'd have to call the World Trade Organisation as well:

post-52815-0-48501300-1402312469_thumb.j

That said, my question wasn't about pure exports. It was about NET exports. There are very, very few countries that do that. The EU, just for example (and some EU members), exports a heck of a lot of food, but imports a heck of a lot more.

After the US, Canada, Australia, Argentina and Thailand, you're beginning to run out of countries that are NET food exporters of any importance.

Edited by wandasloan

Would have thought it should have been a bigger increase than that after all for the last 3 years rice has been withheld from the export market and this year the full crop for export should be sold, plus possibly some from the stockpiles.

Presuming of course that rice is included as food exports.

Would have thought it should have been a bigger increase than that after all for the last 3 years rice has been withheld from the export market and this year the full crop for export should be sold, plus possibly some from the stockpiles.

Presuming of course that rice is included as food exports.

Rice is included but rice is cheap. Big ticket items are shrimp, chicken, fruit, vegetables, pork.... Two million tonnes of rice is barely seen on the bottom line (as you note).

Rice hasn't been withheld. Much more was at work than that. Last year, Thailand was a couple or three million tonnes below normal, but it sold very roughly 6.5 million tonnes of rice, and this year will sell about 9 million. That is not exactly "withholding". I'm not sneezing at that, don't get my wrong, I wouldn't mind a tiny cut. But in the Grand Scheme of things, 2 or 3 million tonnes of rice over a full year don't do a heck of a lot on the bottom line.

Edited by wandasloan

Are you certain? You should give Reuters a call then.

attachicon.gifexporters.jpg

Not so fast. You'd have to call the World Trade Organisation as well:

attachicon.gifexporters2.jpg

That said, my question wasn't about pure exports. It was about NET exports. There are very, very few countries that do that. The EU, just for example (and some EU members), exports a heck of a lot of food, but imports a heck of a lot more.

After the US, Canada, Australia, Argentina and Thailand, you're beginning to run out of countries that are NET food exporters of any importance.

First off, I am basing my opinion on the WTO interactive tool which ranks Thailand 15th when you filter for agricultural exports.

www.wto.org/statistics

Second, the Reuters report you cited uses stats from last decade....2006. Please.

Thirdly, according to your own WTO chart with info from 2012, Thailand ranked 8th, and its food exports had declined 11.7% (I like how you craftily omitted that part of the report--kudos). The nonsense with the rice scheme last year probably dealt it the final blow. No matter, see my first point.

You know what I think is fabulous? I used your own citations to prove my point. Oh, by the way, even my eight year old knows....you need to catch up to someone before you can say gotcha.

Edited by Oryx816

You know what I think is fabulous? I used your own citations to prove my point. Oh, by the way, even my eight year old knows....you need to catch up to someone before you can say gotcha.

My goodness. Did you read my post? I GAVE YOU the gotcha, silly man. Take a moment next time to read the post and you will understand what people write. For example, I wrote:

(My emphasis this time.) Does that seem to you I am claiming to have gotcha'd you? In what language then? I gave you the 2006. My error. I thought you would realise within about three seconds what I did. Very subtle, what? I say "I gave you" which obviously means to you that "you caught me". My goodness.

Thirdly, according to your own WTO chart with info from 2012, Thailand ranked 8th,

That's what I said, that in food exports Thailand is in the Top Ten - or, more precisely since that was not the topic I was actually addressing, I refuted your gratuitous and off-topic post claiming to answer my post with a statement that Thailand was NOT among the top-ten food exporters in the world. As the "gotcha" post I awarded you for a brief, fleeting moment of triumph shows, Thailand has been in the World Top Ten for a good long time.

(To be clear, since you don't like unexplained references. You're entitled to go off topic. I do it myself. I'm not critical, merely stating the fact you were pretending to answer a question you never actually addressed. Your post, your call. Up to you. As it's up to me whether to bother, etc, etc)

Remember when you said Thailand wasn't in the world Top Ten? In a post exactly like this?:

Remember? I think it's rather you that are confirming the error of your own post.

Your words 1: Thailand isn't even in the top ten in the world

Your words 2: Thailand ranked 8th

You are right the second time, and I was just right.

I'd still like to discuss the question you haven't addressed. Up to you of course.

First off, I am basing my opinion on the WTO interactive tool which ranks Thailand 15th when you filter for agricultural exports.

www.wto.org/statistics

Are you now? How interesting. I decided to use YOUR source to see where, and maybe why, it differed from all other sources. You know something? (Sure you do!) It doesn't. It ranks Thailand as the 8th largest food exporter in the world as of last October. Just LIKE every other reliable source. Do you find this discrepancy interesting?

post-52815-0-40986500-1402345638_thumb.j

Note that I have left the actual source in the header of the screen shot. And I provide it here:

http://www.wto.org/english/res_e/statis_e/world_commodity_profiles12_e.pdf