Can I be a dependent of my 4 year old daughter to avoid proof of funds?!

Whilst at the immigration office in Phuket, this was suggested to me by one of the foreign volunteers. Has anyone heard of this and been successful in doing this?

Basically, what was said was that instead of her being my dependent, to apply to be her dependent.

There is no way to do that by any means that I know of.

If you child is attending school and has an extension of stay based upon that you can get one as her caregiver but you would still need 500k baht in a Thai bank for 30 days to get the first extension and then after that it would have to be in the bank for 90 days.

From the Thaivisa link: http://www.thaivisa.com/extensionsextension-based-on-support-of-a-child.html

It appears that from the information that one cannot get an extension based on support of a Thai child, but if 50 years old or older, one can get an extension based on Thai child supporting parent. Indeed, I know of one Farang in Korat who has been getting his extension this way for several years.

From the Thaivisa link: http://www.thaivisa.com/extensionsextension-based-on-support-of-a-child.html

It appears that from the information that one cannot get an extension based on support of a Thai child, but if 50 years old or older, one can get an extension based on Thai child supporting parent. Indeed, I know of one Farang in Korat who has been getting his extension this way for several years.

That ThaiVisa link is just ridiculous bullshit, I have a daughter born after October 2006 and no wife. Since her birth I applied for extension of visa based on father supporting child and so I did for the 6th time just last month in BKK.

The fact that this idiocy is reported by ThaiVisa downgrades the respectability of this website. I suggest the moderator of this forum to investigate and correct this misleading information.

• Like 2

I am sorry to say that the information there has been out of date since police order 777/2551 came into effect in 2008.

See clause 2.18 of Thai Police Order 777/2551 for info.

Edit: How did you find that info, I cannot find it by going to the thaivisa.com homepage.

That ThaiVisa link is just ridiculous bullshit, I have a daughter born after October 2006 and no wife. Since her birth I applied for extension of visa based on father supporting child and so I did for the 6th time just last month in BKK.

The fact that this idiocy is reported by ThaiVisa downgrades the respectability of this website. I suggest the moderator of this forum to investigate and correct this misleading information.

I think that is something that came up in a search from archived pages that have been deleted from the main page. None of the links on the page works.

Just to help the OP.

There is no way that a minor could be recognized as a supporter of a father in Thailand.

This is clearly stated and all admitted options are easily found in the Royal Immigration Bureau website.

I suggest everybody to read it.

Might not be a bad idea to use the TV Service "Ask A Lawyer" smile.png

It would not be accepted in the ask a lawyer forum. Check the posting guidelines there.

Ok, thanks

I think that the OP is confused, to be a guardian on a child you will need to comply to the financial requirement of 500 Kbaht, But a child can be dependent on the parent without the money.

Or the OP misunderstood the immigration guys or he did ask the wrong question.

I am sorry to say that the information there has been out of date since police order 777/2551 came into effect in 2008.

See clause 2.18 of Thai Police Order 777/2551 for info.

Edit: How did you find that info, I cannot find it by going to the thaivisa.com homepage.

Indeed I found the Thaivisa link doing a google search. I just talked to my UK friend and he said for several years before and up to and including 2012 he was getting his yearly extension in Korat based on supporting a Thai child (not the other way around as I thought), monthly income of 40,000 Baht or 400,000 Baht in Thai Bank. After 2012 he did not have the funds available so has been doing "border runs", with 60 day extensions between each border run. Next year he turns 65 and he will have the necessary funds for a retirement extension so won't be trying to use the "supporting Thai child" any more.

I know exactly who gave me the info, but like I said it was a foreign volunteer who gave me this info (do all tourist areas have these guys at immigration?), not a Thai immigration officer. This is the reason that I wanted to confirm this info here before acting on it.

I definitely didn't misunderstand what was being said. It's not information I went seeking for, it was presented to me as a way to 'bypass the system'

In any case, I have read some reports good and bad about these volunteers and I do not take their word as gospel. I do however, believe they are doing a good job with their limited knowledge of the precise 'regulations', so would prefer not to single this person out if they made a genuine mistake. It seems that if I was over 50, then it may be possible, but since I am not, it makes no difference anyway.

Your age does not matter. You must have an income of 40,000 baht (can be from abroad) or 400,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand.

Where people talk about age 50 regarding this extension they refer to old rules.

Yes, i was also told this by an immigration officer in Isaan but there seems to be conditions. I am married to a Thai but left her 8 years ago and am now living with my girl friend with whom i have a 6 year old son. This rule can only be applied in my case if i divorce my wife so that i have no one else who is legally obliged to take care of me ( due to financial reasons i am not prepared to do this and we now are amicably separated although not in any legal sense )

Next year he turns 65 and he will have the necessary funds for a retirement extension

NON-IMMIGRANT VISAS

Category “O”

4) Visiting Thailand as Pensioner aged 65 and over.

Evidence required:

a) Current “DWP Pension Statement” showing receipt of UK State Pension (no minimum necessary).

Either a single or multiple entry visa may be granted in these circumstances.

Is this what you refer to?

I have not heard or read of anyone here on this type of visa. On the face of it I do qualify but it seems almost too good to be true. Anyone here on this type of visa? Any further information on this will be greatly appreciated.

Next year he turns 65 and he will have the necessary funds for a retirement extension

NON-IMMIGRANT VISAS

Category “O”

4) Visiting Thailand as Pensioner aged 65 and over.

Evidence required:

a) Current “DWP Pension Statement” showing receipt of UK State Pension (no minimum necessary).

Either a single or multiple entry visa may be granted in these circumstances.

Is this what you refer to?

I have not heard or read of anyone here on this type of visa. On the face of it I do qualify but it seems almost too good to be true. Anyone here on this type of visa? Any further information on this will be greatly appreciated.

That is only when applying for a multiple entry non-o visa at one of the consulates in the UK. It is not possible anywhere else.

I don't recall him mentioning he was from the UK, He may be from another country and/or be getting a large enough pension to meet the 65k baht income requirement for an extension of stay at immigration.

• Like 1

Hi ubonjoe you seem very well informed. Yes, I am from UK and have to go back next month so I can apply from there. I have addressed this question to Hull but no reply. Can I expect to get a non-O visa and if so for how long? I am in receipt of full UK pension.

G

Hi ubonjoe you seem very well informed. Yes, I am from UK and have to go back next month so I can apply from there. I have addressed this question to Hull but no reply. Can I expect to get a non-O visa and if so for how long? I am in receipt of full UK pension.

G

The non-o multiple entry non-o visa mentioned will 90 day entries for a year. It should not be that difficult to get.

Info is here in the PDF from Hull website: http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/download.aspx?id=20140312100006

You could also get an extension of stay if you have the income of 65k baht or 800k baht in a Thai bank or a combination of the two totaling 800k baht.

Whilst at the immigration office in Phuket, this was suggested to me by one of the foreign volunteers. Has anyone heard of this and been successful in doing this?
Basically, what was said was that instead of her being my dependent, to apply to be her dependent.

Let's get back on topic, based on the above original post by davidjg in this topic. What do have to go on?

1. Presumably, davidjg is a foreigner, although he does not say so.
  2. Presumably, davidjg plans to apply for an extension of stay, although he does not say so.
  3. davidjg has a daughter, aged 4.
  4. davidjg does not indicate his own age.
  5. davidjg does not indicate the nationality of his daughter. She might be a Thai national, or the national of another country.
  6. davidjg asks if he can be dependent of his daughter without proof of funds, without indicating the meaning of "dependent" in the context of his post, but since he posted in the forum Thai visas, residency and work permits we must assume that he wants to know whether he can get a one-year extension of stay, without having to meet any financial requirements, based on the fact that he has a 4-year-old daughter.

The discussion in this topic has in its later stage veered to the question whether a minor, in this case a child aged 4, has a legal obligation to support the parents. This discussion is irrelevant and off-topic here.

Although we often use the term "dependent extension", the word "dependent" is not used in the current extension rules, ie in the English translation of Police Order 777/2515. Therefore, the answer to the question as worded in the topic title is "No". However, the extension rules offer a variety of extensions in cases where a foreigner lives with a close family member, regardless whether or not one family member depends financially or otherwise on the other family member, and it is these extensions that are colloquially referred to as dependent extension. Therefore, as mentioned above, it is logical to assume that davidjg is inquiring about the possibility of getting

a one-year extension of stay, without meeting the financial requirements stipulated in clause 2.18 of Police Order 777/2515, based on the fact that he has a 4-year-old daughter

and the discussion has, in fact, centred mainly on this assumption.

The answer is Yes, if davidjg is at least 50 years old and the daughter is an alien and either has Permanent Residence in Thailand, ie is the holder of a Certificate of Residence (clause 2.19) or has an extension of stay based on clauses 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.10, 2.12, 2.13, 2.14, 2.15, 2.16, 2.17, 2.21, 2.22, 2.26, or 2.29 of Police Order 777/2515. Otherwise, the answer is No.

Just to help the OP.

There is no way that a minor could be recognized as a supporter of a father in Thailand.

Correct. Nowhere does Police Order 777/2551 use the word "support" or mention an extension of stay based on one person supporting another person.

This is clearly stated and all admitted options are easily found in the Royal Immigration Bureau website.

To satisfy my curiosity, would you kindly give a link to the webpage where you saw this clearly stated and post a copy of the text in question?

Just to help the OP.

Correct. Nowhere does Police Order 777/2551 use the word "support" or mention an extension of stay based on one person supporting another person.

To satisfy my curiosity, would you kindly give a link to the webpage where you saw this clearly stated and post a copy of the text in question?

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=service

And with this I invite everybody not to request anything more from me as I am not going to answer.

You are way off base sir. Read the heading of this topic again and read this quote from the OP "Basically, what was said was that instead of her being my dependent, to apply to be her dependent." Your rant is in no way applicable to this topic.