Koh Samui or Phuket?

rwing93

Samui is hopelessly expensive, Phuket not much better. Both tourist traps full of annoying russian and aussie tourists.

Id go elsewhere if i was you

Your definition of hopelessly expensive and mine appear to be at odds.

A two bedroomed, detached bungalow, two aircon, large lounge, laundry room, buig Western style kitchen along with a huge walled in garden also with its own well and 10 MB internet at 5000 a month ? wub.png It was also a few minutes from Lippa Noi beach and 5 minutes from Nathon centre Just what do you call cheap if that x expensive ?[/quotde]fh

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Depending on what months you plan to be in Thailand you might want to think about rainy season weather. Phuket has a long rainy season (March to October, not heavy for the entire time) and Samui a shorter rainy season (October to early January). Some years not quite those months, but that is the historical pattern. Both are pretty developed and expensive fo.r Thailand, but lots to do and easy to find Western comforts compared to. some of the sleepy but cheaper places.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Samui is hopelessly expensive, Phuket not much better. Both tourist traps full of annoying russian and aussie tourists.

With crap like you talk?

I wouldn't even listen to your racist remarks.

Always gets me tourists that think they are superior over other tourists...pff.

The nerve.

• Like 2

My opinion:

I've lived on both for 5 years now and will buy land there as I do beleive it is, for the moment, a better island. I find a better quality of tourist and expat there. The airport is one of my favorites and the ring road that connects the island is very manageable. The airport is owned and operated by Bangkok Air and this keeps the competion at bay, so leaving Samui by air will be a bit more money and less convenient than Phuket. There is one major nightlife entertainment area- Soi Green Mango and this soi has two good clubs (Green Mango & Sound Club). There is a new Central shopping mall in Chaweng and plenty of restaurants, movie theater and a bowling alley. There is not as many condos, apartments and villas for rent as there are in Phuket, but off season prices are similar (depending on your level of Western standards). I find that there is not as many beaches in Samui that compare to Phuket's and there are certainly no decent waves for surfing. Overall cost of living is about the same.

• Like 2

A two bedroomed, detached bungalow, two aircon, large lounge, laundry room, buig Western style kitchen along with a huge walled in garden also with its own well and 10 MB internet at 5000 a month ? wub.png It was also a few minutes from Lippa Noi beach and 5 minutes from Nathon centre Just what do you call cheap if that is expensive ?

When did I say I was talking about long term rentals huh.png.pagespeed.ce.6VcCaNwNXg.png Do you think the 300 baht starting fare for a taxi in Chaweng is not expensive? What do you call expensive if that is cheap?

Add in the obscene flight prices and expensive restaurants and i still contend its the most expensive island in Thailand.

'

Hello tullynargardy,

The airfare to the island is I agree a bit of a bummer, but if the price were to be cheaper it would just mean that more and more people would want to visit. A much cheaper alternative is to take the ferry to the mainland and then the bus or train to Bangkok, which I admit I have not yet tried, but is highly rated by those Farangs who have; the Thai locals of course have no choice.

As Seducedbytheseas says in his post above, the airport is owned and operated by Bangkok Air. There had been talk of building a second airport on Samui to break this monopoly and to lower the prices to attract more visitors. Thankfully, that idea seems to have died a death.. We are a small island; there are enough people here already. The strain on the infrastructure such as electricity and water supplies would be too much.

You complain about the expensive restaurants but as you can see from the photo below ...

post-171664-0-91019100-1402467150_thumb.

...we have so much fun here there's only time for one meal a day anyway!

Samui is great!

Edited by jukebox
  • Like 1

As a few have said, depends on what you are looking for. If price comparing, means you are on a limited budget. Your baht may go a little further in Phuket. Again, you can live cheaper in Samui if you choose to.

Agree with many, if given a choice, I would go to neither, but that's my personal view. And probably not anywhere in Thailand if you can't speak Thai and don't want to learn it.

Things work in their own peculiar way here or not.

I did not see any more from the OP on duration or budget.

For a short trip, if you have never been to Thailand, then either is worth seeing and a look around.

Some decide they like it and stay, others, like myself, would not stay in either and don't even visit either for holidays any more though I have many fond memories of both but from the late 80's and early 90's. Anymore and it's like those memories are of another place that no longer exists!

And I do not live in Thailand by choice, my company transferred me here and I can't find anything better to do for work elsewhere at the moment so I make the best of a not so bad place, but a place I would also never live in by choice (Pattaya).

"And I do not live in Thailand by choice, my company transferred me here and I can't find anything better to do for work elsewhere at the moment so I make the best of a not so bad place, but a place I would also never live in by choice (Pattaya)."

Which company is that, then? I could do with a plausible cover story.

I noticed that a couple of people on this thread thought that it would be a good idea to be a little more specific ( I'm new at this forum thing). Maybe for me Phuket or Koh Samui are not the right places. I am a retired 60 year old single guy. I am planning on staying for at least 6 months maybe longer. I would like access to bars and beach but would also like to find a rental that is in a quieter area ( can I get both?). I would like either a studio or one bedroom apt. Even a small house or maybe a bungalow would work. I would like my rental cost to be somewhere between 10,000 to 25,000 baht per month.

I noticed that a couple of people on this thread thought that it would be a good idea to be a little more specific ( I'm new at this forum thing). Maybe for me Phuket or Koh Samui are not the right places. I am a retired 60 year old single guy. I am planning on staying for at least 6 months maybe longer. I would like access to bars and beach but would also like to find a rental that is in a quieter area ( can I get both?). I would like either a studio or one bedroom apt. Even a small house or maybe a bungalow would work. I would like my rental cost to be somewhere between 10,000 to 25,000 baht per month.

Your budget will cover both places. The two main party areas are Patong and Chaweng. Patong nightlife is bigger than Chaweng, but Chaweng beach is much better than Patong.

You are single and have 6 months, so best option is to start at either one, move to the other after a while, and then decide for yourself which is better for you.

odds are you will either get bored or find a girl. If you get bored you will naturally move elsewhere, and if you find a girl, she will be the deciding factor and nothing you read here will matter.

Public transport sucks both places, so renting a bike/car is cheaper and easier. Remember that while bikes are cheap they are also dangerous, and if you ride with a girl, her life is in danger too.

Have fun :-)

• Like 1

I've spent 11 years in Phuket and 2 years in Samui

I was sad to leave Phuket in 2010 after 11 years there because I had classed it as my home.

The corrupt officials, ludicrous prices, crime, Thai & Russian mafia and farangs that changed it to "make themselves feel like home" (meaning they missed their own country so much they wanted Phuket to be like "home") had all taken the enjoyment out of living there... It just didn't feel like the Phuket I fell in love with anymore...

I spent 2 years in Chiang Rai for some relaxation... So relaxed I thought my heart had stopped at one stage!! Boring!

We n the dogs missed the beach too much also.

So we went to Samui after an EX friend who'd lived there for 6 years said "come to Samui mate, you'll love it"

I didn't know that Samui had made him a cocaine addict and dealer!

I won't go into that... Let's just say there's plenty of <deleted> like him there, and the drugs are controlled/enforce ld to be sold by the cops...

Samui is the WORST place in Thailand TO LIVE if you ask me, ok for a holiday I suppose, just don't get clique with the farangs that live there is my advice... Especially the girly bar owners, aka white trash PIMPS!

We gave it a go for 2 years and was glad to get away from what Phuket had become but 10 times worse!

The cops are a complete joke

The isolated island prices are shocking!!

Only way on and off is the crappy 1hr 40min ferry or a Concorde priced flight!

Just check the price of a flight from Phuket-Bangkok compared to Samui-Bangkok!

It's DOUBLE! And the shitty hot & sweaty airport in Samui is a joke!

Bangkok air own it and call it a boutique airport... The mrs & I call it the POOtique airport...

And then you get all the drugged up dropouts trashing the place (as if it's not filthy enough!) when they come back from the moon parties at KPN!

Stay the hell away from Samui mate, Phuket's still got some nice places at North half of the island

The quieter areas in Samui are just an easier target for burglaries and on road handbag snatching, knifepoint hold ups for your wallet!

Yes, I really hate Samui with a passion

Just one question?

Why does it HAVE to be an island??

Or is it the girly bar scene you're more interested in?

Sent from my EPhone

I was sad to leave Phuket in 2010 after 11 years there because I had classed it as my home.

The corrupt officials, ludicrous prices, crime, Thai & Russian mafia and farangs that changed it to "make themselves feel like home" (meaning they missed their own country so much they wanted Phuket to be like "home") had all taken the enjoyment out of living there... It just didn't feel like the Phuket I fell in love with anymore...

I spent 2 years in Chiang Rai for some relaxation... So relaxed I thought my heart had stopped at one stage!! Boring!

So we went to Samui after an EX friend who'd lived there for 6 years said "come to Samui mate, you'll love it"

I won't go into that... Let's just say there's plenty of <deleted> like him there, and the drugs are controlled/enforce ld to be sold by the cops...

Samui is the WORST place in Thailand TO LIVE if you ask me, ok for a holiday I suppose, just don't get clique with the farangs that live there is my advice... Especially the girly bar owners, aka white trash PIMPS!

We gave it a go for 2 years and was glad to get away from what Phuket had become but 10 times worse!

Bangkok air own it and call it a boutique airport... The mrs & I call it the POOtique airport...

And then you get all the drugged up dropouts trashing the place (as if it's not filthy enough!) when they come back from the moon parties at KPN!

Stay the hell away from Samui mate, Phuket's still got some nice places at North half of the island

The quieter areas in Samui are just an easier target for burglaries and on road handbag snatching, knifepoint hold ups for your wallet!

Just one question?

Sent from my EPhone

I suppose I agree. If your network consists mainly of drug dealers, drug users, trash bar owner pimps and the police, I would stay away too. I have heard the drugdealers, bar owners and police are much better almost everywhere else in Thailand :-)

I won't go into that... Let's just say there's plenty of like him there, and the drugs are controlled/enforce ld to be sold by the cops...

Just one question?

Sent from my EPhone

I suppose I agree. If your network consists mainly of drug dealers, drug users, trash bar owner pimps and the police, I would stay away too. I have heard the drugdealers, bar owners and police are much better almost everywhere else in Thailand :-)

I don't think you read my post properly...?

Which is why you said "your network"... Sigh....

Here's the short version for you, not too many words to comprehend...

Comprehend means to think about, to take in....

I got out of Phuket because it had changed so much over the years

Ok,

So I forgot to mention that "my EX mate in Samui" was someone I met working offshore, not in Phuket or anywhere else,,, just offshore... So I hardly knew if his personal life did I?

He also led me to believe that Samui is like Phuket was 20 years ago!!

Points that had you barking up the wrong tree there, so I guess it's my fault for not being specific enough

I hate low life drug users HENCE why I couldn't wait to get out of Samui...

Hua Hin is the place to be if you want normality & civilisation in Thailand...

Sent from my EPhone

"And I do not live in Thailand by choice, my company transferred me here and I can't find anything better to do for work elsewhere at the moment so I make the best of a not so bad place, but a place I would also never live in by choice (Pattaya)."

No need to name names on this public forum, but there are quite a number of oil and gas contractors based here in Thailand. The company I work for closed Singapore branch office and I had a choice of moving here or staying where I was with no equal or better job to go to at that time.

Ok, that was said kind of tongue in cheek, but I appreciate the reply. I am also in the overseas contracting business but end up in worse places than here, so good effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Hua Hin is DEFINITELY the place for you Sir.

Many retiree's here,

Beaches in Cha Am are just as good as Phuket but better in my mind because you get the whole beach to yourself Mon-Friday

Weekends are a bit busy because the Bangkok City folk drive down for a break from the rat race (only a 2 ½ hour drive to Suvarnabhumi airport)

It's the king's favourite holiday destination in Thailand and ha has a palace here also

So there's obviously something good about Hua Hin)

For your 10,000 a month you could get a 1 bed bungalow easy, there's loads for rent right now

Or your 25,000 budget can get you a fully furnished 2 bed villa, with private pool and security...

What more do you want?

Get on the Internet and check it out,

But I'll warn you to stay away from certain property websites!

I'm not allowed to say why because if T&C's

But just a warning ok ;)

You can PM me and I'll give you the full story ok

Sent from my EPhone

Edited by Hua Hin expat
  • Like 1

No need to name names on this public forum, but there are quite a number of oil and gas contractors based here in Thailand. The company I work for closed Singapore branch office and I had a choice of moving here or staying where I was with no equal or better job to go to at that time.

It's not that half woman half fish company is it?? ;) LoL

Sent from my EPhone

I won't go into that... Let's just say there's plenty of like him there, and the drugs are controlled/enforce ld to be sold by the cops...

Just one question?

Sent from my EPhone

I don't think you read my post properly...?

Which is why you said "your network"... Sigh....

Here's the short version for you, not too many words to comprehend...

Comprehend means to think about, to take in....

I got out of Phuket because it had changed so much over the years

Ok,

So I forgot to mention that "my EX mate in Samui" was someone I met working offshore, not in Phuket or anywhere else,,, just offshore... So I hardly knew if his personal life did I?

He also led me to believe that Samui is like Phuket was 20 years ago!!

Points that had you barking up the wrong tree there, so I guess it's my fault for not being specific enough

I hate low life drug users HENCE why I couldn't wait to get out of Samui...

Hua Hin is the place to be if you want normality & civilisation in Thailand...

Sent from my EPhone

I just naturally assumed you associated with these groups of people one way or another, or at least hung out the same places, since they managed to upset you to an extent that you left Samui :-)

To most expats, on Samui and elsewhere, drug dealers, the police and pimping bar owners are not an issue at all, since their paths rarely cross :-)

• Like 2

A two bedroomed, detached bungalow, two aircon, large lounge, laundry room, buig Western style kitchen along with a huge walled in garden also with its own well and 10 MB internet at 5000 a month ? wub.png It was also a few minutes from Lippa Noi beach and 5 minutes from Nathon centre Just what do you call cheap if that is expensive ?

When did I say I was talking about long term rentals huh.png.pagespeed.ce.6VcCaNwNXg.png Do you think the 300 baht starting fare for a taxi in Chaweng is not expensive? What do you call expensive if that is cheap?

Add in the obscene flight prices and expensive restaurants and i still contend its the most expensive island in Thailand.

'

Hello tullynargardy,

The airfare to the island is I agree a bit of a bummer, but if the price were to be cheaper it would just mean that more and more people would want to visit. A much cheaper alternative is to take the ferry to the mainland and then the bus or train to Bangkok, which I admit I have not yet tried, but is highly rated by those Farangs who have; the Thai locals of course have no choice.

As Seducedbytheseas says in his post above, the airport is owned and operated by Bangkok Air. There had been talk of building a second airport on Samui to break this monopoly and to lower the prices to attract more visitors. Thankfully, that idea seems to have died a death.. We are a small island; there are enough people here already. The strain on the infrastructure such as electricity and water supplies would be too much.

You complain about the expensive restaurants but as you can see from the photo below ...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

...we have so much fun here there's only time for one meal a day anyway!

Samui is great!

Sad,,,

Can't get a real woman... LMAO at your type...

BS on that rental deal

What drugs are you on?!

Or are you talking about Na Thon pikey town? LoL

Sent from my EPhone

Edited by Hua Hin expat

To most expats, on Samui and elsewhere, drug dealers, the police and pimping bar owners are not an issue at all, since their paths rarely cross :-)

I'll let you be the judge of that, but I've seen that facts and been told a great deal more about it to know the facts...

If you do go to Samui, just drink at the bars around the boxing ring in Lamai, all drugs come out if the mafia/bad ass cops owned nightclub right next door

Again

T&C's prevent me from posting who where & when

PM me if you want gory details of the farangs that won't play ball...

Nuff said

Sent from my EPhone

With crap like you talk?

I wouldn't even listen to your racist remarks.

Always gets me tourists that think they are superior over other tourists...pff.

The nerve.

Go and learn the definition of racist you uneducated fool.

If you dont want to listen find another thread to write your inane drivel. You wont be missed.

• Like 1

I meant to post to you

Half fish half woman is it? ;)

Sent from my EPhone

I'll let you be the judge of that, but I've seen that facts and been told a great deal more about it to know the facts...

If you do go to Samui, just drink at the bars around the boxing ring in Lamai, all drugs come out if the mafia/bad ass cops owned nightclub right next door

Again

T&C's prevent me from posting who where & when

PM me if you want gory details of the farangs that won't play ball...

Nuff said

Sent from my EPhone

I have no doubt there is plenty of drug dealers and bad cops where you say they are. I am simply saying the average expat is not in contact with any of these people (or places) hence they are not an issue.

Remember, most expats have a normal (family) life, so hanging out at nightclubs, which do not open until late at night, is not really an option. These places are mostly frequented by tourists and bargirls - and apparently cops and drug dealers :-)

Anyway, I understand from you that Hua Hin is great, I assume that is because there are no bad cops, drug users, drug dealers or pimping bar owners.

In that regard, may I recommend that you stay away from the Hilton hotel area in the center of Hua Hin as you just might find a drug dealer/user, pimping bar owner or even a bad cop around there :-)

Oh and keep in mind that when bar patrons tell you stories, they almost always tell the truth - especially the ones on drugs :-)

Edited by monkeycountry

Just one question?

Sent from my EPhone

Sad to read you had bad experiences at Samui.
Just wish to add, that I’ve been coming here for 12+ years, living here for the past 8, and never experienced anything like what you mention or had any problems. I’m regularly partying in the techno-night-life, including the after-party House-music club in Lamai you mention in a later post and the bar-square around mueng thai ring; I’m actually friend with one of the bar-owners. A few times – that is two times in some 10 years, so few I remember both – someone has offered to sell me drugs, both occasions at Moon-parties in Chaweng, and saying no thanks, they “leave me alone”…
Presume you may had bad luck mingling with the wrong kind of people – pretty sure one can find drugs circles almost everywhere (in the World), including Samui, if you search for it – and happy to learn, that you have found a place you like at Hua Hin; wish you good luck there… smile.png
  • Like 2

I meant to post to you

Half fish half woman is it? wink.png

Sent from my EPhone

You guessed it. But no prize, good guess though! JD?

Edited by jmccarty

wow you bad man comparing aus with rus..

For the russians or the aussies?wink.png

Stay where you are Phuket is a rip off dump, Samui not much better, try Hua Hin far from perfect but will give you a feel for tourist rip off but no where near the scale where you want to go.ljjjnhh