Expiring non-O Extension of Stay: advice sought

My non-O (based on marriage) is expiring July 16th. However, I officially ended my above-board employment recently and will not have a new work permit in time for the next 1-year extension (would have been the third one). I do not have 800K Baht, either.

And I kind of want to take some time off from work, but remain in TH with my wife. I am considering getting an ED Visa and taking Thai lessons. However, I believe that visa might take a month or more to process, so I’d be cutting it close if I pursued that option now.

Should I:

Go for the ED now and hope it is done before my extension runs out? (And just make the necessary border run on 16th July if the ED Visa is still pending?)

Get a 60-day Tourist Visa first (on 16th July), then apply for the ED?

(Can I even apply for a new type of Visa whilst my old Visa’s extension is still valid?)

Kind of confused on the best way to have a smooth transition with the fewest possible trips outside of Thailand.

Thanks!

Based on your marriage you either need to show an income of 40,000 a month (cna be from abroad) OR 400,000 in the bank in your name only in a bank account in Thailand (800,000 is for retirement).

You can get a 60 day extension without needing to show financial proof, after which tyou cna extend again if your WP is ready by then.

Thanks for the replies, but I think a new work permit is not forthcoming, which is why I want to switch to an ED Visa.

Any advice on how to transition from a non-O Extension to an ED Visa? My extension expires July 16th...

what has a wp got to do with an extension based on marriage, do not need a wp for an extension

Thanks for the replies, but I think a new work permit is not forthcoming, which is why I want to switch to an ED Visa.

Any advice on how to transition from a non-O Extension to an ED Visa? My extension expires July 16th...

what has a wp got to do with an extension based on marriage, do not need a wp for an extension

In order to show 40,000B income I need a job that is legit, which requires a WP.

You would need to enroll in a school and get the documents required from them to change your current extension to one for attending school.

You might want to consider getting a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet Laos. You would have to make border runs every 90 days but it might be better than attending a language school and possibly having to get a new extension every 90 days.

• Like 1

No work permit means no work no work means no income.

Are you trying to be sarcastic, he should have stated he does not have the money and need to work hence lot more clearer post

There could be a little sarcasm there. But it was mostly just a quick way to say what I thought he meant.

You would need to enroll in a school and get the documents required from them to change your current extension to one for attending school.

You might want to consider getting a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet Laos. You would have to make border runs every 90 days but it might be better than attending a language school and possibly having to get a new extension every 90 days.

Thanks Joe. I would like to do everything in my power to avoid border runs.

Can you please clarify something?...If I enroll in a language school, they would change my extension, not give me a brand new ED visa?

And in either case, what did you mean about having to get a new extension every 90 days? Wouldn't either a new visa or an extension be good for 1 year?

Thanks Joe. I would like to do everything in my power to avoid border runs.

Can you please clarify something?...If I enroll in a language school, they would change my extension, not give me a brand new ED visa?

And in either case, what did you mean about having to get a new extension every 90 days? Wouldn't either a new visa or an extension be good for 1 year?

You would have to leave the country to get an ED visa. You will just change the reason for the extension.

Unless you are going to attend a University you will not get a one year extension. For a language school it is 90 or 180 days dependent upon where you are living.

A ED visa would only be good for 90 days unless you got a multiple entry and made border runs.

The multiple non-O from Savanakhet has one other advantage. With a non-O visa you wil not have to leave the country if you find work, as labour will issue a work permit on it.

With an ED-visa you will need to leave the country to get a non-B visa before a work permit will be issued.

Hello Joe.just wandering,,it's different process if Farang men married to Thai women?.I'm Filipina married to Thai men..And my one yr Spouse VISA(Non-o) will be expired on October.My friends said it should renew only at Immigration.

Meaning only Farang men should have 400k in bank account right?.

Thanks

Hello Joe.just wandering,,it's different process if Farang men married to Thai women?.I'm Filipina married to Thai men..And my one yr Spouse VISA(Non-o) will be expired on October.My friends said it should renew only at Immigration.

Meaning only Farang men should have 400k in bank account right?.

Thanks

There is no financial requirements for a lady married to a Thai man to get an extension of stay based upon marriage.

Other than financial proof all the other documents are the same as for one man married to a Thai lady.

If you are on a multiple entry visa now you can do the extension during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries the visa allows.

• Like 1

The multiple non-O from Savanakhet has one other advantage. With a non-O visa you wil not have to leave the country if you find work, as labour will issue a work permit on it.

With an ED-visa you will need to leave the country to get a non-B visa before a work permit will be issued.

Thanks for the information Joe and Mario.

What other places can I get the non-O besides Savanakhet? Maybe I'd make it a vacation if I could go to Vientienne or KL, etc.

Also, in a previous post you said I could "get a 60 day extension without needing to show financial proof".....you mean my current extension of stay that expires July 16th can be extended for 60 days (while I sort out my new non-O Visa)?

Thx.

What other places can I get the non-O besides Savanakhet? Maybe I'd make it a vacation if I could go to Vientienne or KL, etc.

Also, in a previous post you said I could "get a 60 day extension without needing to show financial proof".....you mean my current extension of stay that expires July 16th can be extended for 60 days (while I sort out my new non-O Visa)?

Thx.

Savannakhet is your only choice.

You can get a 60 day extension of your current extension without a problem..

Thx.

Thanks again. Last question: which form's needed to extend my extension for 60 days?

Thx.

Thanks again. Last question: which form's needed to extend my extension for 60 days?

The same TM7 form you have used before.You wife needs to go with you when you apply. Your marriage certificate, her house book and ID card plus copies. And copies of your passport pages and departure card.

Would the consulate in Savanakhet raise an eyebrow if I'm attempting to get a new non-O visa as opposed to another extension of stay?

Would the consulate in Savanakhet raise an eyebrow if I'm attempting to get a new non-O visa as opposed to another extension of stay?

No they would not. You will not be the first person to of done it.

No they would not. You will not be the first person to of done it.

How much time must be remaining on my current extension of stay in order to process a new multi-entry non-O at Savanakhet?

Don't wish to hijack the thread - please can I ask if it is possible to get a 60 day extension via the TM& route on a Non Immigrant O visa which has a permitted to stay date of 22nd June, this was the last entry on the visa. I am awaiting an UK passport renewal but dont think I will get the new passport back in time with the backlog, If I could extend a stay for 60 days that may give me some time, many thanks for any feedback wai2.gif

Don't wish to hijack the thread - please can I ask if it is possible to get a 60 day extension via the TM7 route on a Non Immigrant O visa which has a permitted to stay date of 22nd June, this was the last entry on the visa. I am awaiting an UK passport renewal but dont think I will get the new passport back in time with the backlog, If I could extend a stay for 60 days that may give me some time, many thanks for any feedback wai2.gif

You can get an extension 60 days to visit wife, need passport you, her id, house book, marriage cert, and her 1900baht and you are done

• Like 1

Don't wish to hijack the thread - please can I ask if it is possible to get a 60 day extension via the TM7 route on a Non Immigrant O visa which has a permitted to stay date of 22nd June, this was the last entry on the visa. I am awaiting an UK passport renewal but dont think I will get the new passport back in time with the backlog, If I could extend a stay for 60 days that may give me some time, many thanks for any feedback wai2.gif

You can get an extension 60 days to visit wife, need passport you, her id, house book, marriage cert, and her 1900baht and you are done

Alright sounds good thanks Mike appreciate your help! Will gather the papers and prepare, thanks again.wai2.gif