How Young is Old?

David48

how old is old?  

212 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 years ago, I was lucky enough to be living in Phuket when I was 35, with a pretty 19 year old girlfriend from London.

When she had enough of me.

I quite naturally gravitated to beautiful vibrant 20 year old Thai girls.

Ive felt a very young 35 ever since!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuI3ogcQjuI

You need to be careful mate ! People might begin to think you are normal afterall, now thats just not right.

Those meds finally kicked in huh.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

A A Milne (if I recall)

When I was one, I had just begun.

When I was two, I was nearly new.

When I was three, I was not quite me.

And when I was four, I was a little bit more.

When I was five, I was just alive,

But now I am six, I'm as clever as clever,

So I think I'll stay six, forever and ever.

It just goes on. As in the OP, when I was 18 I thought I was cool, tough fit. When I hit 21, I thought back to the bravado and thought, "What a child I was at 18. At 35, I knew that I had been immature in my 20's as compared to my 30's. At 40, I knew I had learnt a lot more, but I also wasn't so tough or fit as when I was in my 30's. Now I am 50, I know I am more learned, but less strong, and perhaps a little slower in thinking processes.

Perhaps old is when you stop learning while also your faculties recede..

I guess what I'm saying is that you are on the cusp of being old when you look back 5 years and realise you are no wiser, and less strong. You pass the cusp when your wisdom starts to diminish (but you probably won't realise it).

Edited by Seastallion
  • Like 1

18 years ago, I was lucky enough to be living in Phuket when I was 35, with a pretty 19 year old girlfriend from London.

When she had enough of me.

I quite naturally gravitated to beautiful vibrant 20 year old Thai girls.

Ive felt a very young 35 ever since!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuI3ogcQjuI

You need to be careful mate ! People might begin to think you are normal afterall, now thats just not right.

Those meds finally kicked in huh.

My closest friends describe me as slightly eccentric,kind, charitable and compassionate.

My X girlfriends are not as complimentary!
My doormat friends call me cynical, insensitive and callus.
Ive been called even worse on here!
Maybe I have D.I.D, Dissociative Identity Disorder.

As a recently turned 30 year old, I'd say that getting into your mid 60's is old.

That said, it also depends on the individual. I know a guy close to 60 who is in better shape than most 25 year olds I know.

I also know 60 year olds who are in terrible shape and look 80+.

My gran is 90 and is still very active, drives her own car, goes on holidays with friends, leads a very social life and is often mistaken for being in her mid 60s.

• Like 2

Most employers in the west think age 40 is too old.

Most governments in the west would like age 70 to be old.

Reminds me of the HR boss who gave the retirees the copy of the Stalingrad war movie "Hunde wollt ihr ewig leben" (dogs do you want to live forever) as farewell present..

Sent from my HTC One XL using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I knew that I am getting old when the young lads in my student fraternity started to call me "Sie" (Mister) while I was drinking them under the table.. still can do that though 20 years later..

Sent from my HTC One XL using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nobody should play golf before retirement age.

A game I love to hate at every opportunity. When I was young I used to play 2 - 4 times a week. I haven't played in years now and have been saving my slice until retirement when I will know many, many curse words.

My neighbour celebrated his 81st birthday by going to the local ... ahem ... BJ bar. He told me. I do not dispute this. I once saw him coming out of another such bar. And a trashy massage place where it is known ... well.

Youth is wasted on the young. It's not wasted on me.

Time for Horlicks and off to bed.

BJ (oh dear) makes some pertinent points - I've had the same problem with my (24yo) daughter being perceived as .. well, you know what I mean, BJ.

But I remember during the swinging 60s, the age of the much-trumpeted post-war, hippy sexual revolution, a quote from some older woman that has always stuck in my mind. I still laugh about it today: "Young people think they've discovered sex. Ha!" Problem is, I've only every known sex since the swinging 60s. :)