Where to get herb seedlings or seeds

Does anyone know where culinary herbs are available?

I am looking for farang herbs like rosemary, Italian basil, thyme or oregano (in that order). Dill of course is quite easy to find as the Thais like it.

The standard of dried herbs and spices in supermarkets in Thailand is not good and fresh herbs have far better flavour.

I went to a restaurant in Phitsanulok and they told me they get fresh Rosemary from Bangkok - possibly Chatuchak.

I would ideally like to grow my own.

I live up north in Uttaradit but I have contacts elsewhere.

Thanks to all.

We have all 4 fresh and cheap in Foodland and the other western food stores in Pattaya, cheap and fresh enough where it must be grown in Thailand though they do often run out of Rosemary and Thyme.

Sorry, I'm certain they will not tell me who their supplier is so you can look for seeds there.

Try googling Hua Hin Herbs - there is a herb farm there that supplies Villamart on Phuket - sometimes in pots too.

If you get them fresh enough you can strike the rosemary but it only grows to a foot high or so and last about a year - rinse and repeat.

You should get fresh basil at any local market - stick a few pruned twigs in the ground and it will grow.

EDIT: I just checked the fridge - we have fresh oregano, thyme and rosemary - plus basil, rosemary and krapow in the garden.

This is a Royal project - <royalprojectthailand.com>

Edited by Evilbaz

Try googling Hua Hin Herbs - there is a herb farm there that supplies Villamart on Phuket - sometimes in pots too.

If you get them fresh enough you can strike the rosemary but it only grows to a foot high or so and last about a year - rinse and repeat.

You should get fresh basil at any local market - stick a few pruned twigs in the ground and it will grow.

EDIT: I just checked the fridge - we have fresh oregano, thyme and rosemary - plus basil, rosemary and krapow in the garden.

This is a Royal project - <royalprojectthailand.com>

Thanks very much for your advice. You are lucky to have these readily available - I am too far away from these western influences.

Hua Hin herbs unfortunately do not have any internet website or mention on google, maybe you could ask them if they have seeds or if they will post cuttings if you visit them again.

I have emailed the Royal Project as they visit here every month.

Hey i was looking for the same stuff too, so i went to the Chatuchack's Market (JJ) in Bangkok this week end.

I managed to find a small stall with an elderly couple selling a few erb's seeds i wanted, they also told me that the best day to find small plants was on Wednesday and not Sunday (the day i was there).

I attached some pics where you can get some more usefull details as well.

There is also a company that seems to sell those herbs to an association of chefs or something, but they are not replying to e-mails, so maybe they stop business or whatever else, their farm is or was in Khao Yai but the owner i think is located in Bangkok : Lily Gongvatana 69/1 Soi Charoenrat 30 Klongsarn Bangkok 10600 [email protected] phone 02 437 04 90 Fax 02 438 09 53 Mobile 081 985 07 85

Let me know if you get lucky, as i am actively researching those small herbs plants for my garden too.

I planted some rosemarin seeds from back home in a small pot, but insects are having a feast with it.........

Edit:

In the Chatuchack's Market you need to go at the section 24.

post-193352-0-15293600-1402484217_thumb.

post-193352-0-68961800-1402484235_thumb.

post-193352-0-62471600-1402484279_thumb.

Edited by SOMeTOM
  • Like 2

Hey i was looking for the same stuff too, so i went to the Chatuchack's Market (JJ) in Bangkok this week end.

I managed to find a small stall with an elderly couple selling a few erb's seeds i wanted, they also told me that the best day to find small plants was on Wednesday and not Sunday (the day i was there).

I attached some pics where you can get some more usefull details as well.

There is also a company that seems to sell those herbs to an association of chefs or something, but they are not replying to e-mails, so maybe they stop business or whatever else, their farm is or was in Khao Yai but the owner i think is located in Bangkok : Lily Gongvatana 69/1 Soi Charoenrat 30 Klongsarn Bangkok 10600 [email protected] phone 02 437 04 90 Fax 02 438 09 53 Mobile 081 985 07 85

Let me know if you get lucky, as i am actively researching those small herbs plants for my garden too.

I planted some rosemarin seeds from back home in a small pot, but insects are having a feast with it.........

Edit:

In the Chatuchack's Market you need to go at the section 24.

Hi

I had a Thai friend contact Heng Nguan Heng (there English is limited) and they have offered to send them to me. Four packs for 290 baht.

They gave me there bank account details for payment.

So we shall see if I can make some progress here.

I will also attempt to contact the other people you mentioned.

Thank you

Thomas

From seeds, I have growing horapa (Thai basil). Seeds ready to plant (when the time is right): holy basil, coriander, lemon balm. From seedlings bought locally - mexican coriander, mint, sweet basil.

The herbs you want are indeed difficult to find. I go for frequent rides into the countryside (and hit the north Pattaya grower's market often) and hunt for these as well. So far without much luck. I'm ready for another expedition this weekend and will post what I find.

Local seeds are OK but none my friends from OZ have brought ever survive, despite similar climate to FNQ.

The one exception was basil from Italy which I have perpetuated by cuttings - very full flavour.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys did you had any luck yet?

I have an update.

Went to Chatuchack market (JJ) in Bangkok on wednesday, and i found 2 vendors near one of the entrance where the toilettes are, bought a small Rosmarin for just a 100 Bahts, about 20cm high and 10-15cm in diameter.

The other stall has other Rosmarin about double that size but he's asking 290Bahts....

Coudn't find Sage, Origano, Thyme, etc.....only Rosmarin and lots of thai plants and flowers.

Keep posting your findings pls, thank you ;)

• Like 1

There is usually a good reason why you can't find seeds here - they don't grow. I can buy most of the stuff that I need in Makro (Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary, etc). I wouldn't mind having a rosemary plant or two though.

Got seeds for some of the above arriving shortly from overseas - including rosemary. Will see how I go with them and let you know.

Planted dill and amaranth seeds last week - locally bought. Going very well so far.

Please post in the plants and animals forum next time so I don't miss it.

Got seeds for some of the above arriving shortly from overseas - including rosemary. Will see how I go with them and let you know.

Planted dill and amaranth seeds last week - locally bought. Going very well so far.

Is that amaranthus variety for grain or amaranthus for the greens (pak hom)?

I love the greens, but wouldn't bother planting it as it is so cheap in the markets. If I had land, I would spread the seed for it to grow wild...it is after all a weed and would just thrive all over.

Go to the hydroponic shops near JJ market. Outside the market you will see a lot of garden shops with their hydroponic setups along the road. They sell seeds in small packs for 20b and you might as well build a DWC to grow them in, as it only takes 30 days to grow full sized herbs.

Four packs for 290 baht.

I wasn't particularly happy to pay 40 Bahts for a pack, as all the others around were priced 10 Bahts and some even less, but 72,5 Bahts a pack takes the prize :D i hope it includes the mailing's charges too

There is usually a good reason why you can't find seeds here - they don't grow.

None of them grow up.

Maybe i am doing something wrong, they all become mouldy and die, i did use some of those ready to grow small pots you get in the supermarkets.

I did try both, seeds bought locally and abroad, no luck.

The Rosmarin plant in the backyard so far seems to cope with the new environment.

There is usually a good reason why you can't find seeds here - they don't grow. I can buy most of the stuff that I need in Makro (Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary, etc). I wouldn't mind having a rosemary plant or two though.

This farm on Samui grows all the plants mention, except Thyme I have not seen yet .... he even has spearmint!

So it does all grow and I think if does OK in the Southern climate of Samui, they should do well in the north.....but areas do vary..... much to my surprise as it would be to Cooked, I think.

But germinating seed needs a bit of skill sometimes ...whistling.gif (That is for OP as I know Cooked is more experienced.)

Most herbs like a really well drained soil to to keep them alive in rainy season it might be better to grow in pots, so they can be sheltered from too much rain!

I know this guy gets most of his seed from BKK but not sure where...

Hotel market is where he sells his wares! .... so why easier to find here....

Rosemary, from cuttings he has larger plants from last year... they are quite large now..

SAM_2795.JPG

Italian basil in my garden, below, not always easy to find seed... this is my second attempt this year... (I saved seed from last year) and some one brought more from Europe.....

these should go through until October!

IMG_6045.JPG

Spear mint

IMG_3983.JPG

Perhaps one of the mods could move this thread to one of the Gardening sections! wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 2

a lot of herbs donnt like weather rosemary was growing good then die when wet start even had growing in pots dill basil love

weather mint some areas in mountain where cool coriander fennel cucumber tomato lemon grass mullbery passionfruit eggplant and mariwigee

love the climate happy green fingers

Would growing some of these herbs work better in a controlled environment (eg greenhouse or shaded greenhouse etc), rather than growing them outside?

I live in Phuket and would love to use fresh herbs in my cooking. I could easily erect a greenhouse or hydroponic area.

• Like 1