Rimping's Maya Japanese Restaurant

davevi

Today I tried the Japanese restaurant connected to Rimping in the basement at Maya.

It was a great meal and with prices that were much less than I expected.  

I ate with a colleague who lived in Japan for one year and he gave the food a thumb's up.  I had avoided the restaurant in the past because shortly after it opened I walked in and was handed a one-page menu with 6 items, none of them appealing.  Now there is a full menu with lots of great looking choices.  

We ordered five dishes and all of them were great tasting, well made, and fairly authentic.  Awesome!  

We were only disappointed by one item -- an item pictured in their menu as large round shrimp "meatballs" floured, fried and and sitting in Japanese broth.  What we got instead was tasty, but very small pieces of said food -- the size of gumballs, not golf-ball sized pieces pictured.

So overall a high recommendation for this restaurant and a lovely surprise.  

Thanks Rimping!

BTW, Rimping, in case you are reading this, would you consider adding a native English speaker in each large branch.  It would be really helpful -- because 9 of 10 times staff inside the store have little to no idea where things are, what they are, or what I'm speaking of in English.  smile.png

• Like 2

I found that usually on can find help, often behind the service desk, in Rimping where if you write down what you want they'll be of assistance. I'm not a great fan of Rimping's proffesionalism but I like thier stock and it's sure a nicer shopping experience than Tops esp the horrible Food Court in Festival Central.
I also find the widespread practice of misrepresentation on menus especially with misleading photos quite bothersome. If either from being to lazy to just taking pics of the internet instead of taking your own of the actual food or intentionally being dishonest as many of the chains do.
Thanks for the review and I'll go have a bite there and just hope they don't make any more "mistakes" .

I'd like amend my last post, just came back from Rimping Star Ave. location looking for ricotta cheese, after asking many of the staff a number of times and not getting much more than a blank stare I asked for the manager who had a wild look in her eyes and was jumping around with a cell phone to each ear going in and out of the store acting like a crazy kid. She finally got the two girls from the pharmacy next door who proceeded to put "ricotta" into their phone looking for a Thai translation. They just wouldn't believe me that there isn't one and that it was a kind of cheese, I left after they kept on searching, I assume they are still staring at their phones. 

Not to hijack this post but anyone know where to get ricotta, went to 4 stores today which might carry and none did.

• Like 1

I'd like amend my last post, just came back from Rimping Star Ave. location looking for ricotta cheese, after asking many of the staff a number of times and not getting much more than a blank stare I asked for the manager who had a wild look in her eyes and was jumping around with a cell phone to each ear going in and out of the store acting like a crazy kid. She finally got the two girls from the pharmacy next door who proceeded to put "ricotta" into their phone looking for a Thai translation. They just wouldn't believe me that there isn't one and that it was a kind of cheese, I left after they kept on searching, I assume they are still staring at their phones. 

Not to hijack this post but anyone know where to get ricotta, went to 4 stores today which might carry and none did.

Makro carries Del Casaro which is nearly genuine in that it is made from whey.( but cow's milk).  Very high quality product  Hideaways makes it too but I haven't tried it.  Not sure if it's American or Italian style.

Edited by quidnunc
  • Like 1

I am pretty certain that Con, the aussie chef/owner at Toon Pizza in MaeJo makes his own ricotta for his excellent lasagne. I think when he needs to, he gets up at 4am to get the full cream milk straight from the cow. He would sell you some-and if you havent yet, I think you will enjoy eating there and discusing 'chefery' with him. 

• Like 1

I second the OP on the Rimping restaurant- portions less than huge, but quality very very good and prices. And an english speaking waitress who also happens to be attractive-the service is as good as the food.

And I have never had problems finding english speaking staff in any Rimping- apart from Star Avenue which I think is a small weak link in the chain. Maybe I have been lucky, but I have also been approached at Meechok Rimping by a member of staff offering to help, in english, when she spotted the bemused look on my face.

If she knew me better she would have known that is my normal expression, 555.

• Like 2

Aji Japanese Restaurant at MAYA's Rimping is very good.  Thanks for the heads-up Dave. :)

We navigated the narrow carpark ramps and tight turns to snag a spot next to the escalator, fortunately with an a/c air intake alongside which facilitated an easy departure after end-to-end-parked vehicles literally choked off an exit. Not a good place to visit by large vehicle after say 1130 on a Sunday.

We tested a couple of our favourite dishes in the B1 foodcourt [nothing special] before entering Aji.  Wife and I shared an avocado/salmon/rice dish 90Bt which was very tasty but the surprise was their teriyaki beef burger ... wow, very good quality beef and tasty in a decidedly unique way - 150Bt.  We'll be back!

Oh and Kad Farang, if it ever gets finished, is to have an Aji. :)

Rimping is better laid out than many smaller ones and I can see it being the major drawcard for local shoppers.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Any luck on that "ricotta" JC?

I found some Italian ricotta by Waitrose at Tops, Central Festival, 169 baht for 350 gms. I didn't buy it as tomorrow will do a wider search.

It's for lasagne. 

I found some Italian ricotta by Waitrose at Tops, Central Festival, 169 baht for 350 gms. I didn't buy it as tomorrow will do a wider search.

It's for lasagne. 

Makro Hang Dong offers excellent ricotta from Del Casaro in the deli case at the front of the store.  Also, I believe that Da Cheeso makes it, too but I've never tried it.  Usuallly, their fresh cheeses are excellent. The aged ones, not so much.

• Like 1

Aji Japanese Restaurant at MAYA's Rimping is very good.  Thanks for the heads-up Dave. smile.png

I agree. Also the food is interesting, with some unusual items

there has been some reports lately from members who have dined there and had positive experiences in the past that something has changed and food is no good anymore. it's been about 6 or more weeks since i was there last. has anyone been in the last couple of weeks? any changes?

Yes, I have been since the new menu was introduced and I rate it more highly than before. Portions are far from large but unusual dishes with excellent flavours work for me- I could do with eating a little less anyway!!

It's for lasagne. 

Makro Hang Dong offers excellent ricotta from Del Casaro in the deli case at the front of the store.  Also, I believe that Da Cheeso makes it, too but I've never tried it.  Usuallly, their fresh cheeses are excellent. The aged ones, not so much.

Thanks for the heads up. That should save me some time tomorrow. Much appreciated.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's for lasagne. 

I took the recommendation of one TV member and had a local restaurant make me some. It worked well in the lasagne but since I had to order it and pickup etc wasn't an ideal situation. I'm planning on another lasagna this weekend and plan on searching again today so if you are successful please share!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's for lasagne. 

I took the recommendation of one TV member and had a local restaurant make me some. It worked well in the lasagne but since I had to order it and pickup etc wasn't an ideal situation. I'm planning on another lasagna this weekend and plan on searching again today so if you are successful please share!

Yes I was successful, got 2 tubs from Makro, Hang Dong. They said there were only 2 tubs left though, that was Thursday afternoon.

Turned out great.