Getting a Thai Visa in Vientiane, Laos?

My tourist visa is up and I need another one. I'm going crazy here looking at all the options.

What is the fast, cheapest, most convenient option if I'm in Bangkok?

So far I'm thinking of flying Nok Air to VTE, Laos. Round trip is 1,571 baht.

It says it's a "Fly and Ride" flight that lands in Udon Thani then buses you into Vientiane after passing immigration. Anyone use this service?

Is it easy to get a Visa there? How long does it take?

Thinking I'll hang around a few days and fly back.

Are there better options?

I'm not into 12 hour train rides.

Thanks.

I'm in Laos at the moment - I flew Bangkok Airways directly into VTE and made it on time to submit my visa. I applied for a Laos visa in BKK otherwise they do have a visa on arrival but that took my family travelling with me over an hour. (I left them and took a taxi for 400 baht to the Visa Office - note it's not at the embassy)

The process is simple, got a number when I arrived, they were calling out the numbers in increments of 10 and I was served within half an hour. The submission area is outside and there is a nice guy upstairs who will take you picture of required and also your Lao visa copy, he quickly glanced at my paperwork and shuffled them around and stapled everything. Once your number is called you submit either at window 1 or 2 then you go inside (air conditioned) to window 5 and wait for your number to be called so you can pay. Next day number again and go directly to window 5.

I was told drop off is 0830 but they open the gates at 0800 and close at noon, next day pick up is 1300 to 1500.

I looked at the Nok Air option but it was easier to fly direct, I spoke with a guy who did that route and as I understand it you fly to Udon Thani, bus to Nong Khai, bus across the bridge & another bus to central VTE. I'm not sure the drop off point in VTE.

I also spoke with someone who did Bangkok to Udon Thani only with Bangkok Airways for 3300 baht (vs our 10300 baht per person directly into VTE) she said she took a van from the airport for 200 baht, then a bus across the bridge and a taxi to central VTE for 300 baht. I don't know about the return as we parted company but she said obtaining her Laos visa at the Friensship bridge took an hour and lots of touts.

The Thai visa section is at the other end of town and it cost me 200 baht each way it was actually in Kip but it's confusing so when I ask I ask for the baht price, it could be walked depending where you stay.

The visa part was easy and simple, listening to folks who took the van service they hated it, it's a long haul from BKK and on Monday and Thursday the visa section is very busy.

We are here another day to see some sites, it's laid back and I'm enjoying walking along the waterfront. Because we are a large group we had a problem finding 5 rooms in one hotel so ended up going higher end, looking around there are many small hotels that seem fairly decent for 1000 baht and less. Load up on Lao coffee it's really good.