How to Wai properly - as suggested by a Thai.

David48

I wai to the immigration bloke doing me visa,that's about it,i have done it at the temple the few times i have gone,but otherwise i don't,the most pathetic thing is westerners wai-ing to other westererners.

Lots of disagreements and holier-than-thous over wai-ing, but I think it is more pathetic to come down with the flu or worse from shaking hands than to wai a farang, actually. It's certainly sad to carry hand towels or a bottle of hand cleanser. At least the wai is sensible.

A friend of mine is trying to encourage the fist bump as a healthy alternative to the handshake.

I don't wai anybody except for the old folks, grandmas and grandpas. Besides that most Thais would rather shake a farang's hand upon greeting.

No.

Edited by wandasloan

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read it was ok to give a one handed wai to kids and maids

I gave a one-handed wai to a driver yesterday who let me through a line of traffic. He seemed to appreciate it. I was on a bicycle, so had one hand on the handlebar. I have seen one-handed wais whenever someone has to wai but can only get one hand free, so not just kids and maids, but among friends and neighbors as well.

I think that if you are waiing a toddler or a midget, you can bend the fingers

Why would you want to bend the fingers of a midget?

One thing I didn't see in the video is how to respond to a wai. Most people who wai me, I just nod back.

When meeting adult in-laws, the wife's manager, lawyers and government officials, older thais who wai me etc. I'll wai back.

I learned there are three different wai's: The high one where your thumbs touch your browline for greeting monks and the king, one where your fingertips touch your nose for when meeting older people or someone of higher social status and one at chest level where you just nod your head for when you wai friends or people of similar age or status. I see the last one used a lot by service people and greeters at stores.

Once again one of these stupid threads. Ok the thread in it´s self is not stupid, but many of the answers are!!! We falangs are being prompted by a lot of bull when it comes to thai customs, and if we do not do it right, THAT is the en of the world as we now it.

It is so stupid, we wai when we wish to, thai excuse us, as they consider us to be falang, foreigners, and we have NOTHING to do with thainess or thai culture, we are nothing to them mostly...

So what the heck, wai, try to learn if you plse, but dont give all that bullshit,how stupid people are that are actuallytrying their best...Thai people do not care what you are doing, DONT CARE AT ALL..... So grow up, start to live and be nice to one another, both thais as fellow falangs and enjoy life....

wai to you all, both up and down or where ever

Glegolo

• Like 2

I did not watch the video and don't care how the world views my actions..i simply clasp my hands and bow my head to.anyone i wish blessing upon; for me is a quick.prayer...i did this before i knew anything about thai culture- many people seem to think these customs are strictly relevant to.thailand, i think its small thinking to believe thais invented ice in beer and bowing in honor and respect of another human...i dont care what youre going to.say i wont read it..just believe what i believe. And though hell why not share with the smaller brained people ;))

I did not watch the video and don't care how the world views my actions..i simply clasp my hands and bow my head to.anyone i wish blessing upon; for me is a quick.prayer...i did this before i knew anything about thai culture- many people seem to think these customs are strictly relevant to.thailand, i think its small thinking to believe thais invented ice in beer and bowing in honor and respect of another human...i dont care what youre going to.say i wont read it..just believe what i believe. And though hell why not share with the smaller brained people wink.png)

I don't like you because you are a very closed minded person. wai2.gif I'm reminded of the person who refuses to read the instructions for the new parachute. The Thai word is som na na. Serves you right.

I think, in western countries, they also should teach Thais to shake hands when they come live let's say in the U.S. or UK. I noticed Thais (specially students) have a hard time being respectful as they don't usually shake hands.

Let's make a video about How To Shake Hands properly - As suggested by a Westerner!

• Like 1

I think, in western countries, they also should teach Thais to shake hands when they come live let's say in the U.S. or UK. I noticed Thais (specially students) have a hard time being respectful as they don't usually shake hands.

Let's make a video about How To Shake Hands properly - As suggested by a Westerner!

I don't want to touch your hands.

This is a load of BS. Two ugly Issan girls teaching you how to wai like an Issan girl. Great post.

I'm curious.

Exactly how do you know for a fact their origin or heritage?

How does an 'Isaan Wai' vary from say a 'Central Thailand Wai'?

As for 'Ugly' ... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

What to you view as beautiful ... mirror images do not count ... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Will2011, an admirable idea.

But hunsum men we are ... how about a leggy blond to show us the Wai Way

• Like 1

This is a load of BS. Two ugly Issan girls teaching you how to wai like an Issan girl. Great post.

I'm curious.

David I've been here so long I can just about say which village they come from. Mod obviously has a falung boyfriend and the other girl is her super ugly friend. Thai men wouldn't give Mod a second look. Wais are the same as handshakes, many different types including Freemason wais. These are subservient little girl's wais. Ask a Thai who they think is beautiful no need to ask me.

I do not wai now or ever.

I don't either. I do not believe in cultural etiquette. I believe that it is over rated, over used, as well as not used properly by most thai's and foreigners. I was first told about wai-ing when I came to Thailand. I was told that you wai "out of respect"....however, I don't see any respect in the act. Students wai their teachers, but they have no respect for them. Employees wai their boss, but the speak ill of him behind his back. So why be a fraud? I just say hello....that's my way of greeting. I think we should respect each other for how they choose to communicate, but I don't believe in hypocrisy.

Dear Mr Rimjob, it's an interesting thought you suggest.

But, to reverse the situation, how do you feel when you offer your hand to shake and the other person declines the polite Western custom.

t-haleypoint.jpg

Haley, the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. After the Broncos thrashed the Chiefs yesterday, Haley refused to shake hands with Denver head coach.

Not a nice feeling?

I don't want to touch your hands.

Yes, I understand. It usually happens with homosexuals. Nevertheless, hand shakes are common between real men as a sign of civilized respect.

I do not wai now or ever, I do not let my son/daughter wai me, it is not MY culture, I live in Thailand only. Showing deference (not respect) to someone over your age is archaic, if you want to show some respect, help an old person out if they need it, not just chuck up a wai and be on your way. Plus all you who bow like Japanese, Wai like Thais just look foolish. Its not respecting their culture at all, you are not Thai nor Japanese, we shake hands, we show respect in our speech. Period.

Oz

If you don't speak Thai proficiently or only speak bar girl Thai it's better not to wai. A simple Sawadee Krup is sufficient. Let your GF do all the wai-ing but don't shake hands with women only men.

Funny points made by many some similar to my approach some not so much.

Generally I never wai first unless I am in a formal setting with people who are older than me (or a monk or something like that), I also will sometimes wai when I am meeting an older relative of my wife's but only if I haven't seen them in a long time.

I always try to return a wai unless it is from a child or someone in a service job (like the checkout lady at Tesco or a waitress). While I don't return a wai from a waitress or checkout person I do always nod and smile and acknowledge them somehow. I often will return a wai from a very small child as a way of helping them learn proper behavior (plus they are just so damn cute so why not wai). I also never return a wai from a farang instead I offer my hand for a shake.

I have never had a problem with a Thai being offended over my "wai etiquette", they generally don't expect us to know the nuances. I often find it funny when I see a Thai trying to decide whether they should great me with a wai or a handshake. Occasionally a Thai guy will offer to shake hands instead of wai-ing but I don't remember ever having a woman do so unless I was in a very western setting.

Good video. nice to know and don't look like a fool. ONLY!!!!!! the higher status thing is a load of sheit! they should abandon this crap of people believing they are of higher status. I will never submit to the idea of someone else feeling higher than me, exept maybe the king of thailand and the king of holland. For the rest FCK you with your false pretentions

I'm curious.

David I've been here so long I can just about say which village they come from. Mod obviously has a falung boyfriend and the other girl is her super ugly friend. Thai men wouldn't give Mod a second look. Wais are the same as handshakes, many different types including Freemason wais. These are subservient little girl's wais. Ask a Thai who they think is beautiful no need to ask me.

Creepy another one of those blokes who thinks they can identify people's origin by facial types and skin color. Went out in the 1930's. Some German doctor tried it. No luck.

thailiketoo I disagree a little.

One thing for sure ... ATF has a perfect right to express his opinion.

I may not agree with it, but I defend his right to express it.

I'm the sort of guy who can have an impassioned debate with someone who I totally disagree with over a few beers and still walk away with respect for him.

I have a mate here on the Form who I completely disagree with on one subject, yet total agreeance on another subject. You simply have to find points of commonality.

If I probe deeper with ATF, I might discover that he loves motorbikes ... as I do.

I wai when I think it's appropriate or I believe it's expected, but I don't go on a crusade.

As Westerners, we or we don't wai ... up to us.