Is overstaying 1 day a big deal?

Not a problem... they exempt one day simply because some people may not have anticipated a flight leaving after midnight!

You'll won't even get a black mark in your passport.. don't worry!

The most common reason people end up with one day of overstay is because they miscount the 30 days because they din't count the date of arrival as part of the 30 days.

For those that have said they paid 500 baht you should note that it was mentioned the 24 hours with no fine is only at the airport. It does not apply at a border crossing.or at some airports outside Bangkok.

It shouldn't be difficult to interpret the 30 days (or whatever the authorized length of stay is) because Thai immigration stamps the last day you can be in Thailand, therefore there is no need to "count the days" like you would need to in China, where no "permitted to remain until date" is stamped.

<snip>

The counting I was referring to would be when a person was planning their trip and purchased their ticket out of the country based upon that count..

Not a problem... they exempt one day simply because some people may not have anticipated a flight leaving after midnight!

You'll won't even get a black mark in your passport.. don't worry!

The most common reason people end up with one day of overstay is because they miscount the 30 days because they din't count the date of arrival as part of the 30 days.

For those that have said they paid 500 baht you should note that it was mentioned the 24 hours with no fine is only at the airport. It does not apply at a border crossing.or at some airports outside Bangkok.

It shouldn't be difficult to interpret the 30 days (or whatever the authorized length of stay is) because Thai immigration stamps the last day you can be in Thailand, therefore there is no need to "count the days" like you would need to in China, where no "permitted to remain until date" is stamped.

Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar and Malaysia (if arriving overland from Thailand) all stamp a date in your passport, which is the last date you can remain in that country unless you obtain a visa extension or change to another visa type (if possible). There is no ambiguity about it - if you leave, obtain an extension or otherwise sort out your status no later than this date, you have not overstayed.

China, India, Australia, Singapore, just to name a few countries unfortunately don't do this - they usually issue a stamp stating how long you can stay (i.e. 90 days from the day of arrival in Singapore) or the visa must be referred to (in India and China - the stamp merely indicates when a passenger arrived, but the length of stay is determined by what the visa states e.g. "30 days after each entry" in China's case). In those countries, a foreigner needs to carefully count the days and know (or find out) whether the date of arrival is counted as day 0 or day 1.

It is very easy for 99% of the people coming here. But then there are 1% whom don't look at the stamp in their passport. Or they belive it's the date the visa expire. Or something else. I have seen a lot of posts here from people that belive the visa expire date is the last day they can stay. Last week there was a thread from such a person here.

A few hours overstay is no problem..........

Edited by bangkoklasse

I overstayed for 38 days last year!

19,000฿

You should've seen the grin on his face when I handed over the cash!

Did stop the cheeky bugger asking for coffee money though did it!!

All that sweat n worry for nothing...

NO

It's not a big deal at all

Sent from my EPhone

There is no fine for an overstay that is is less than 24 hours if leaving form either airport in Bangkok.

One day of overstay is very common and is certainty not that big a deal.

I m very surprised to hear you say this, Ubonjoe, because it most certainly CAN BE a very big deal, if the subject happens to get checked by the authorities ON HIS WAY TO that airport ! ! ! Whether you are 'over-staying' by 1 day, or 1 year: the treatment will be exactly the same: you WILL be arrested and put into Immigration Detention Center (IDC) and, from what I gather, that is NOT a very nice experience. In addition, you also risk being declared a PNG (Persona Non Grate) and could be placed on the infamous Black-List.

Do NOT think too lightly about ANY overstay ! !

sad.png

You and Mikeanddow must get on like a house on fire......

Yes but things have changed The Junta has taken over and started to reform everything Including immigration

I have been told now that anyone overstaying is thrown in Jail and must appear before a judge withing 36 hours. If you do not have a lawyer at the time they then hold you over for another 30 days in jail till you can find one. So far no one has been given bail

This is the reform that so many have been looking for

cheesy.gif Now did i get the old pump working more. Bet I did but just pulling your leg Nothing has changed Just pay the overstay fee of 500 and go home

• Like 1

One day

No big deal you can overstay through no fault of your own you are not seen to be breaking the law

No fine

At the airport passport control when they discover you have overstayed 1 day they take you to a back office record the overstay and stamp your passport with a different stamp can't read what it says it's in Thai, and then you are let through it happened to me in 2011 and I have been in and out many times since so no black marks - but I would not suggest you should keep overstaying.

One day

No big deal you can overstay through no fault of your own you are not seen to be breaking the law

No fine

At the airport passport control when they discover you have overstayed 1 day they take you to a back office record the overstay and stamp your passport with a different stamp can't read what it says it's in Thai, and then you are let through it happened to me in 2011 and I have been in and out many times since so no black marks - but I would not suggest you should keep overstaying.

I did a 1 day overstay quite deliberately two months ago as it was more convenient for me to fly on the day I chose to fly.

When I went to the immigration counter in the airport the guy called his supervisor over, they spoke to each other and there was no problem.

There was no going to the office, no different stamps, no nothing.

There is no fine for an overstay that is is less than 24 hours if leaving form either airport in Bangkok.

One day of overstay is very common and is certainty not that big a deal.

I m very surprised to hear you say this, Ubonjoe, because it most certainly CAN BE a very big deal, if the subject happens to get checked by the authorities ON HIS WAY TO that airport ! ! ! Whether you are 'over-staying' by 1 day, or 1 year: the treatment will be exactly the same: you WILL be arrested and put into Immigration Detention Center (IDC) and, from what I gather, that is NOT a very nice experience. In addition, you also risk being declared a PNG (Persona Non Grate) and could be placed on the infamous Black-List.

Do NOT think too lightly about ANY overstay ! !

sad.png

Really? Show me one, just one case that a person overstayed 1 day was caught by police on the way to the airport and was put in immigration detention.

Show me one! I know several people that have overstayed but months, they left Thailand paid the 20,000Baht and never had a problem returning to Thailand.

One left and came right back. None were marked Persona Non Grate and this was for months and months of overstay. So lets not run a muck. What you are saying is like comparing a someone speeding and being over the limit by a few KM and someone speeding and being over the limit by 80+km big difference.

Edited by ericthai