Visa Transfer Problems

I have about a year left on my three year non-immigrant B visa and recently got a new US passport. Being the ThaiVisa nerd I am, I carefully researched the three hundred posts on this subject and was under the impression that I just took the Embassy letter they so kindly supplied with new passport and waltzed down to Thai Immigrations to get the only free service in Thailand which consists of transferring your old visa into your new passport.

Having been in Thailand for more than a month, I also took my work permit, three copies of everything including my rental agreement, company documents, bank statement, tabien lot, salary records, shopping list, mothers marriage certificate, recipe for spam pancakes, and included company stamp, blood samples, a complete check up at Baumrungrad, and a hired thug that is on my payroll just for times like this.

Amazing Thailand, they took the application and did not charge a fee. I did not even need my high school transcripts. On review of their handiwork, they only transferred the entry stamp, not the visa. The massive stamp that takes up a full page is only good until the expiration of my current entry stamp in July. When I pointed this out, they insisted that I carry both passports until my visa expires, they were explicit in standing by the fact that THEY CANNOT TRANSFER VISAS, only entry stamps by immigrations. The Thai Consulate is the only group that can transfer visas.

Is this just because its the year of toad and mercury is in Kuhn Thaksins garden? Or have I stumbled on some new diabolical plan to rid the kingdom of land grabbing foreigners?

Advice from this sage group would be appreciated.

Written with humour, but than

my three year non-immigrant B visa

Sorry, such a thing does not exist. Considering that you mention your work permit, I would assume we are talking about an extented permission of stay, perhaps done for the last 3 years.

In this case, don't worry, usually, your entry up to 3 years ago, is transferred and your permission to stay remains until the original date.

Your visa was used long time ago, once you got a permission to stay - stamp.

Edited by Axel

Well my visa was issued by the Chicago consulate on March 2004 and has an expiration date of March 2007.

It exists, and despite being a concern, has worked fine for about 27 months now.

I dont have an extended permission, I just never needed it. While I qualify, I head out of the country regularly for business and did not think I needed the extra hassle or to damage the rain forest with the required documentation.

I have enough trouble keeping track of one passport when I travel, now the Thai government wants me to use two.

So lopburi, you are agreeing with immigrations and telling me the actual facts of the matter are that visas are not transferrable, only entry permits. I must carry that old passport around with me like being handcuffed to dead prisoner for the next year?

I have always been nervous with my three year visa, a few times a new immigration official would head for "THE DESK" and I could observe an animated conversation from my vantage. It always worked however. Now I have a vision of handing over my passport in Don Muang and THEN..... throwing that old ragged cancelled mess on the desk immediately thereafter.

"There is my visa, its three years if you dont mind, thanks so much. Go ahead and stamp 90 days in a passport without a visa, thats a good chap"

Should be as quick as the elite line.

It is no different than the USA. The normal US visitor visa is valid for 10 years. Nobody that I know of has a passport with that much remaining time. The US does not transfer a visa. You show both passports and your entry will be entered in the current valid passport. Same same.

Many of the posters here not only have two or more passports but have to remember to switch them mid travel. At least you seem to only have to remember to take both with you. Or you could just get a new visa.

That might be the case. My passport was prematurely cancelled due to an accounting error. Entirely the fault of my sloth but done none the less. All is rectified, I am back in the good graces of our Federal servants, but.... my three year visa is now trapped in another book.

I imagine a lost passport would incur the same penalty, at least I have the old passport. If I had lost my original passport, then I am understanding that would have voided my visa. I am surprised that is the same as in the US that losing the passport causes your visa to be voided. I would have guessed that the US keeps records of visas that are accessable and that visas would be replaceable if still valid.

Lopburi, the big differance is that I use my passport, work permit and visa for about everything I do here. I think I had to provide seven copies of each and the original last time I registered for a warranty at Tesco Lotus. Not only do I have to travel with that bugger but we are supposed to keep our passports on us while in Land of Smiles. Fair bit differant than the U.S. at least for the time being.

I am still wondering about the validity of the nopn-immigrant visa to be 3 years.

The Thai MFA is quite clear, one year:

4. VALIDITY OF A VISA

Single-entry and multiple-entry visas are valid for three months. Multiple-entry visas could also be valid for one year.

Above from Thai MFA-site.

This explains the guys running to "THE DESK".

True,a Thai driver licenceis accepted 99% of the times,then you find a boy in brown that ask for your Passport,at 2 am. and if you can't show it,invites you to the next Police Station.T.i.T.

My good luck was that he remembered the name of his boss(same as my wife,he's a cousin),

and he apologised profusely. :o

AFAIK no police officer other than Immigration have the authority to demand a passport check if you have government issued photo ID. But we have had police quoted as saying otherwise in recent years so it is not the kind of thing you want to put to the test and I am not suggesting anyone who now carries a passport should stop. But I do not believe anyone has ever been required to do more than have someone bring the passport, and normally police would go with you to view if you are acting polite. In border regions of Thailand it is normal for hotels to hold passports of guests as a matter of policy so thousands of tourists do not have a passport with them every day.

You are right,as always,Lop.

I wanted only to point out that it can happen,the policeman didn't find anything wrong about the car,the licence,etc,so he brought up the passport thing;and you don't discuss with them.

Next time I travel trough Thailand I better bring the passport! :o

When I pointed this out, they insisted that I carry both passports until my visa expires,

That is OK.

Just fill in the arrival form with the details of your new passport and the visa number from the old one.

When the officer starts searching for the visa, show him the old passport.

It will all be OK.

I have been in this situation and know of others as well.

• 5 weeks later...

Does this apply with the re-entry permit as well? I have mine valid until next April, but I just got a new passport today.

So they transfer the entry stamp, and next time I show the old passport with the re-entry at the airport?

I am still wondering about the validity of the nopn-immigrant visa to be 3 years.

The Thai MFA is quite clear, one year:

4. VALIDITY OF A VISA

Single-entry and multiple-entry visas are valid for three months. Multiple-entry visas could also be valid for one year.

Above from Thai MFA-site.

This explains the guys running to "THE DESK".

The 3 year Non-Imm B visa was suggested and the English language newspapers wrote it up as if it was a forgone conclusion. It has not gone any further and IMHO it won't proceed. The exception is for an APEC cardholder.