New e-visa few days after leaving Thailand: easy to get it or... kind of lottery!

Hello everyone!

So, I came to Thailand on March 26 with a tourist e-visa expiring on May 24. On last Monday I went to immigration and got an extension until June 23. (BTW, they kept my e-visa).

My goal is to stay in Thailand 3 months again before going to Korea in October. I'm thinking about going ten days to two weeks in Kuala Lumpur from where I'll ask immediately for a new e-visa: do you've some experience like this ? Do you think I can get it or do you think the probability I get a new visa/e-visa just after l've left Thailand is weak ?

IMPORTANT. Before, you couldn't get an e-visa if you weren't in your country. But it has changed, I got the previous one from Korea... and I'm not Korean!

Posted (edited)

Happy to be jumped on here but if your passport shows you're not in Thailand via immigration whats wrong with setting a VPN to your home country and applying normally  ??

Say I was in Vietnam surely I could switch UK vpn on and apply by clicking through Royal Thai Embassy London

I must be missing something obviously or perhaps not because was sat thinking about this last week. ?

Edited by Chivas

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Maestro said:

Ooooops! You're right. I checked on the e-visa immigration web site by entering my country document and Malaysia: no e-visa. And same for Vietnam... F... I couldn't believe it depends of the country.

In fact, big surprise, but Korea is the exception: Japan, Laos, Indonesia, Cambodia... no e-visa. Korea still ok, I just checked.

Many thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Edited by anotherfarangishere

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Chivas said:

Happy to be jumped on here but if your passport shows you're not in Thailand via immigration whats wrong with setting a VPN to your home country and applying normally  ??

Say I was in Vietnam surely I could switch UK vpn on and apply by clicking through Royal Thai Embassy London

I must be missing something obviously or perhaps not because was sat thinking about this last week. ?

You've to send a proof of the country where you're. For Korea, I took a photo of the stamp on my passport.
+ Immigration will see that you come from Vietnam when looking your passport or just your boarding pass.

Edited by anotherfarangishere
Precision

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, you could consider enter visa exempt + extension and border bounce. 

Granted messy 

Sure... if I don't get problem with immigration asking for visa exempt few days after leaving Thaland + same problem again 60 days later.

2 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Sure... if I don't get problem with immigration asking for visa exempt few days after leaving Thaland + same problem again 60 days later.

The one 60 days later would be land border bounce. You should not have an issue. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

The one 60 days later would be border bounce. You should not have an issue. 

..."should not"... but not sure... better to go to Kuala Lumpur or Hanoi to the embassy... or maybe Vientiane? Hanoi, I went one time in 2006... Vientiane, many many time but last time was at least 8 years ago, so I don't know how is the mood now.

19 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

should not"... but not sure

You will not have issue with visa exempt via land border.

You could skip the KL to obtain a visa.

You are allowed 2 visa exempt entries via land/sea per calendar year.

With extensions that's 4 months. 

BTW: Vientiane requires appointment. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, anotherfarangishere said:

You've to send a proof of the country where you're. For Korea, I took a photo of the stamp on my passport.
+ Immigration will see that you come from Vietnam when looking your passport or just your boarding pass.

No lol

I applied for 2 Evisa in September last year and December

Nothing whatsoever about photo of stamps showing where you are currently

Only passport requirent was upload of the data page

Edited to add unless something has changed since December 2023

Edited by Chivas
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Chivas said:

Think the issue with your thinking is if you apply via London using a VPN the Embassy will be expecting an upload of your flight from the UK to Thailand and may well refuse your application. If you do have a visa immigration don't care where you come in from, I get most of my tourist visas from London but normally stop for a few days in Singapore before getting to Thailand. Never an issue

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Chivas said:

No lol

In the past E visa system typically requested copies of all stamped pages for the last 12 months unless something has changed. I know they have made a couple other changes, not sure if that's still required

• Confused 1

I applied from Europe last year for a METV and I did have to show full flight details going to Thailand.

Anyone else have experience with using a Thai embassy outside their country to apply for an e-visa?

21 hours ago, anotherfarangishere said:

..."should not"... but not sure... better to go to Kuala Lumpur or Hanoi to the embassy... or maybe Vientiane? Hanoi, I went one time in 2006... Vientiane, many many time but last time was at least 8 years ago, so I don't know how is the mood now.

As said you shouldn´t have an issue, is because there is never a 100% guarantee. However, it´s the best we can do. It sounds on you, that you think another visa sticker would be a guarantee. Not at all, as Immigration can deny entry with that as well. So, I would go with the visa exempt and land border crossing.

1 hour ago, ian carman said:

I’m pretty sure that when I got my Evisa in uk they didn’t ask for flight details so maybe a VPN method would work 

I meant a copy of the ticket 

22 hours ago, Chivas said:

No lol

That was how it was in January 2024, when I (Brit) applied in UK. It did NOT ask for passport pages showing previous 12 months of travel, but DID ask for "proof of current location".

I supplied a Council Tax bill.

So I guess your ideas of using a VPN if you apply abroad would work as long as you have access to such data.

Oh and @ian carman it DID ask for "Travel booking confirmation" - I supplied my ticket.

10 minutes ago, VBF said:

That was how it was in January 2024, when I (Brit) applied in UK. It did NOT ask for passport pages showing previous 12 months of travel, but DID ask for "proof of current location".

I supplied a Council Tax bill.

So I guess your ideas of using a VPN if you apply abroad would work as long as you have access to such data.

Oh and @ian carman it DID ask for "Travel booking confirmation" - I supplied my ticket.

Yes in hindsight I was asked for current location but I supplied driving Licence on 1st application

On second Evisa application it didnt ask for it (or financial details)

Reading from various sources it does appear its more of "completing the box" rather than what actually goes in the box in the first place !

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 8:34 AM, anotherfarangishere said:

Ooooops! You're right. I checked on the e-visa immigration web site by entering my country document and Malaysia: no e-visa. And same for Vietnam... F... I couldn't believe it depends of the country.

In fact, big surprise, but Korea is the exception: Japan, Laos, Indonesia, Cambodia... no e-visa. Korea still ok, I just checked.

Many thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

At the moment I think it is only 25 or 26 countries on the E-visa platform. Only 2 in Asia, China and South Korea.

Edited by sandyf

On 5/16/2024 at 3:39 PM, DrJack54 said:

You will not have issue with visa exempt via land border.

You could skip the KL to obtain a visa.

You are allowed 2 visa exempt entries via land/sea per calendar year.

With extensions that's 4 months. 

BTW: Vientiane requires appointment. 

Thanks. I'm going to think about it.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

At the moment I think it is only 25 or 26 countries on the E-visa platform. Only 2 in Asia, China and South Korea.

I love Hong Kong, but things have changed a lot since my last travel in 2017... But you're right, China works too.