NBTC to subsidize live broadcast of all World Cup matches on free TVs

Lite Beer

In English ?! If so I bled cash to RS today for nothing. TIT.

No need to be so harsh on yourself, it doesn't necessarily make you a tit. We are only one day away after all.

Exactly. I'm still thinking do I don't I. 7/11 must be running short?

Well done Thyailand..... What a cock up. clap2.gif

jb1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In English ?! If so I bled cash to RS today for nothing. TIT.

No need to be so harsh on yourself, it doesn't necessarily make you a tit. We are only one day away after all.

Exactly. I'm still thinking do I don't I. 7/11 must be running short?

Well done Thyailand..... What a cock up. clap2.gif

jb1

You have a laptop? You have internet? Just use Thai Expat TV! HDMI cable from laptop to TV. 600b per month. You can pay month to month or automatic. Sorted!

And 100% in English.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

A lot of backlash here against RS. If RS hadnt bought the rights from FIFA no one would be watching thee world cup in Thailand - end of.

That is true.

If only the powers to be had sat down and sorted this out when RS first won/paid for the rights to show the World Cup instead of leaving it to the last few days going through the courts and causing chaos.

In buisness terms 700million is not such a big deal. Given the time they would have had RS could have sold sub licences and advertising. As the World Cup is such a massive tornament I am sure that the revenue from advertising alone would have covered their costs.

Amazing Thailand??

jb1

• Like 1

A lot of backlash here against RS. If RS hadnt bought the rights from FIFA no one would be watching thee world cup in Thailand - end of.

That is true.

If only the powers to be had sat down and sorted this out when RS first won/paid for the rights to show the World Cup instead of leaving it to the last few days going through the courts and causing chaos.

In buisness terms 700million is not such a big deal. Given the time they would have had RS could have sold sub licences and advertising. As the World Cup is such a massive tornament I am sure that the revenue from advertising alone would have covered their costs.

Amazing Thailand??

jb1

Just pass a very very simple law that national or regional international tournaments MUST be shown on free to air.

All done. Of course RS got the deal a while ago, so yes compensation is in order.

That is true.

Amazing Thailand??

jb1

Just pass a very very simple law that national or regional international tournaments MUST be shown on free to air.

All done. Of course RS got the deal a while ago, so yes compensation is in order.

So you want Thailand to have a state funded broadcaster like the BBC?

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I guess Thailand is going to come to a standstill, if the football mad nation is going to be up all night watching the world cup. Better to arrange a deal to show re-runs or highlights the next day.

You are so right. Apart from the games at 2300 and 0300 those at 0500 will make if difficult for some to watch then get to work, school etc on time and the couple of games at 0800 will really cause lots of lateness if not actual absenteeism.

At the time of the 2010 WC in Sth. Africa I was working at a technical school and one morning at assembly the director laid down the law to the students, teachers to take note too, that lateness or missing classes due to late night viewing would not be tolerated as was gambling on the school premises. Appropriate alternative action would be taken against any students involved in gambling outside the school.

Checking attendance was not one of my duties but it was obvious when students were missing and with the rest there were some sorry sights of bleary eyes and fighting to stay awake.

People will watch it at 05:00, then sleep a bit, then come late to work, and blame it on the traffic.

• Like 1

All this for soccer .......bah.gif ...

Wow, it took quite a few posts before the first football-hater (TROLL) crawled out from under his rock.

Can you not let people enjoy whatever they like, as long as they don't harm you?

• Like 1

700 million baht is worth it.

A small price to pay to make Thai people happy.

A failed election in February has cost 3 plus BILLION, and almost ended up in a civil war, plus many people killed and injured. It make Thai people very UNHAPPY.

Very good point.

May I add, a disgusting amnesty bill and rice scam has cost this county hundreds of BILLIONs, and almost ended up in a civil war, plus many people killed and injured. It make Thai people very UNHAPPY.

As long as our great leader is happy, I am happy.

That is true.

Amazing Thailand??

jb1

They already do to a certain degree. Several of the channels are owned by govt entities. In fact one is army owned.

The army can just pass a law saying for the good of the country the Army channel has it. All these other countries pass laws in the public interest for this stuff.

Its bloody truemove with their pull who have connived over the years to mess this up. Now all the cable channels want exclusives. Better just to say national tournaments and Olympics etc MUST be shown on terrestrial TV.

By the way, what's wrong with the BBC. For all its faults it still produces some of the greatest TV in the world. I was watching brian cox last might about the formation of the planets. Outstanding.

That is true.

Amazing Thailand??

jb1

It works, Probably the best televison in the World and no advertising?

OK it comes at a cost.

But if people here get what they have spent the last few months screaming out for (no corruption)

Watch this space and open your wallet.

jb1

Well done to the army....a great use of public funds for the public good. And to all the people who don't like association football, get a life! I posted six weeks ago that it would all be on free TV and people should not waste their money on packages. The only thing that is different from all the other World Cups is that True are showing it - and that is another huge cock up for them, they pay for something that people can watch elsewhere for free. Coming on top of their monumental cock up in missing the rights to the. EPL some of their executives should resign! So a great month ahead and certainly don't care less about the commentary, Thai will be just fine as it is the football after all that will do the talking.

• Like 1

No way should 700million or any "million" of public money be given to a broadcaster just because they cant sell enough paytv boxes

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Didn't do business studies at school then eh?

They already do to a certain degree. Several of the channels are owned by govt entities. In fact one is army owned.

The army can just pass a law saying for the good of the country the Army channel has it. All these other countries pass laws in the public interest for this stuff.

Its bloody truemove with their pull who have connived over the years to mess this up. Now all the cable channels want exclusives. Better just to say national tournaments and Olympics etc MUST be shown on terrestrial TV.

By the way, what's wrong with the BBC. For all its faults it still produces some of the greatest TV in the world. I was watching brian cox last might about the formation of the planets. Outstanding.

Nothing wrong with the BBC - I'm British and love it. But I can't see Thais being willing to subsidise a state broadcaster through a licence fee or tax, and if a state broadcaster wants to bid for sports rights, especially the World Cup, it will need a lot of money (like the BBC!). FIFA don't sell the rights cheaply.

Just remember that 'free-to-air' is probably only available to houses watching via an ordinary antenna.

If you have a dish and a set-top box, you will probably find the free-to-air channels blocked during the games -- that's what has happened on many previous occasions, and I speak from experience.

Posted 2014-06-05 21:15:43

The last World Cup here, and Euro 2012 was a complete norse-up here -- they are going to show it free, no they're not, yes they are but only for people with ordinary (ie non-dish) aerials.

Some possibilities:

1) General Prayut, with his eye for a populist gesture, orders RS to distribute the feed free to all the Thai free-to-air channels. Sorted.

Aye, we've got some smart posters here....thumbsup.gif

The warning about non-dish aerials still holds, I expect.

As a 'guest' here I always say whatever makes the Thais happy makes me happy. At the moment the good general seems to be making the Thais happier every day and the cost of this cannot be measured in monetary terms. This isn't the PTP.

thumbsup.gif

I see in related news, i am reading today that Sepp Blatter has all but confirmed he is going to run again for office!!!! Unbelievable! He is like a cancerous growth in Football that nobody can cut out! One might say Footballs terminal disease.

Nothing wrong with the BBC - I'm British and love it. But I can't see Thais being willing to subsidise a state broadcaster through a licence fee or tax, and if a state broadcaster wants to bid for sports rights, especially the World Cup, it will need a lot of money (like the BBC!). FIFA don't sell the rights cheaply.

Thailand does have a state broadcaster in Thai PBS which is funded through tax receipts. Whether its funding is sufficient to cover fees for major world sports events is questionable.

Yes, they could pass a law that these events must be made available to free-to-air TV but some entity has to pay FIFA for the rights. The NBTC needs to start acting pro-actively and not waiting for the last minute to step in and create so much uncertainty. They did exactly the same with Euro 2012 and failed.

Yes the BBC does a great job except in its reporting of world political/upheaval events. Thailand 2010, Libya & Syria were all reported is a highly biased way. They've never been the same (old Beeb) since Blair and co made scapegoats of them over the Kelly suicide.

• Like 2

Can you not let people enjoy whatever they like, as long as they don't harm you?

I tried that as my defense in my "goat-worrying":court case. Went down like a lead balloon. sad.png

• Like 1

No way should 700million or any "million" of public money be given to a broadcaster just because they cant sell enough paytv boxes

Didn't do business studies at school then eh?

whats the matter with you? Bought an RS box and pissed off with no exclusive viewing? tough.

I see in related news, i am reading today that Sepp Blatter has all but confirmed he is going to run again for office!!!! Unbelievable! He is like a cancerous growth in Football that nobody can cut out! One might say Footballs terminal disease.

and why is he continually re-elected?He's taken care of enough FA's around the world to ensure he can stay as long as he wants.

Edited by kingalfred

and why is he continually re-elected?He's taken care of enough FA's around the world to ensure he can stay as long as he wants.

Yes you're right - he certainly has. He is clever, in the Thaksin mould, to use the organisation's money to buy votes.

Satellite dish on a hut

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The most famous in LOS it evn has aBTS staion OnN 'ut

Of course 700m is crazy but at 10 baht ahead seems the "manager" has played ablinder instead of aggro dissapointment those who enjoy sport beer skippin work etc

I realize many upright Thai men are too busy praying and making mert in the self efficiency world they'd refuse cold beer from a kneeling maiden in an aircon rom full of sports with numerous unknown outcomes upon which lays could be had

and he will win again, one of the most corrupt men in football or even the world

Edited by Martinl2022