Army scheme to clean up public transport abuses

webfact

The original article seem to dance around the fact that every motorcycle taxi stand

is shaken down by the the Thai police. I suspect at this point the police are not very

happy with the coup, as their income is being eaten away. Case in point.

My girlfriend makes regular trips to the big market at the Poipet border using

a van. Coming back there were always lots of police checkpoints. They would stop

the van, and extort 400 baht from every Cambodian person whether their papers were

legal or not. Annoying to the Thai people who had to wait, and a financial hit to the

Cambodian people. She just went last week. Said there was not a single stop,

and every checkpoint was manned by soldiers who waved them through......

Can we please let the military be in charge for the next 5 years to clean up all the "garbage" before resuming democratic state.

I would rather have a responsible parent than bunch of kids on a playground ruled by the school bully.

• Like 2

In the beginning, i was very alarmed by this military coup having seen what has happened with coup's in the past.

However now as each day goes by and i read of things like this crackdown on transport corruption, i am becoming more inclined to hope and pray that the army remain in charge for some considerable time into the future. They seem to be 'ticking' off corruption points one by one, many which go directly back to the RTP and it's higher echelon. I just hope that these corrupt police are identified, relieved of their ill gotten gains and dismissed with no benefits whatsoever. Well done to General Prayuth, but he has to be neutral and not seen to favour the likes of Suthep and his gang of theives in any way.

• Like 1

This is all good and nice of them. But why don't they deal with some real issues there such as child prostitution.

Don't be impatient. The RTA are doing a dammned good job till now, they cannot do it all in just a few weeks, give them time and i am sure we will see some real changes. Well done to Gen Prayuth, you amaze me, please stay neutral and you will win out for the better of Thailand. It seems to me that the RTP are the 'lynch pin' of all corruption in Thailand. Reform this mob of thieves and you will be one of Thailand's greatest. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Amazing how quickly and easily all these rip-offs and scams by Officials can be shut down when somebody intends to do it....unlike ANY elected political Government that Thailand has had in the last 100 years. So busy stealing billions for themselves when they are in power that there is no time to stop it further down the line.

Another tick for the General....now lets see the perpetrators brought before the courts and severely punished to deter it starting up again later.

Unlike any? You mean unlike any except Thaksin who won support for doing EXACTLY the same thing? That is why many taxi drivers and motorsais still support him. Unfortunately, as most would likely tell you, these figures tend to reassert themselves after the initial crackdown and its effect has died down. You can't maintain a crackdown for ever. Still, another smart move by the army which might precipitate a longer honeymoon period than is usually the case after coups.

• Like 1

In the beginning, i was very alarmed by this military coup having seen what has happened with coup's in the past.

However now as each day goes by and i read of things like this crackdown on transport corruption, i am becoming more inclined to hope and pray that the army remain in charge for some considerable time into the future. They seem to be 'ticking' off corruption points one by one, many which go directly back to the RTP and it's higher echelon. I just hope that these corrupt police are identified, relieved of their ill gotten gains and dismissed with no benefits whatsoever. Well done to General Prayuth, but he has to be neutral and not seen to favour the likes of Suthep and his gang of theives in any way.

If people like the army and are happy to exchange free speech, right to protest, competitive elections etc for order, efficiency and security, I don't get why they hate Thaksin so much. But then again, I suppose they didn't. I mean he did sweep Bangkok when he was at his most imperious, autocratic "best"... it was only when he sold Shin that many people really began to turn against him. I still think Chang Noi had it right, many Thais like autocratic leaders & a "quiet politics" of paternalism, as that's the system they grew up within. But the leader has to show he has a generous heart. It was Thaksin trying to escape paying taxes on the Shin deal that screwed it up for him far more than anything else. That was the tipping point.

• Like 1

Agree about the need to appear even handed, but I'd advise you to save the true gushing for when the army actually imprisons those found guilty of large scale crime. I'll be gushing right along with you when that happens. Until then, lets wait and see and of course, not criticize.

Edited by 15Peter20

This is all good and nice of them. But why don't they deal with some real issues there such as child prostitution.

Priorities. People suffering untold deaths due to public transport issues is a greater concern due to the high volumes of deaths; wouldn't you say? Hard to stop underground things, and that would be longer term by raiding every little nook and cranny, than implementing transport policies and cleaning up the system related to safety.

Something needs to be done with those suicidal van drivers, that's for sure.

Absolutely agreed. The ability to name and shame would works wonders here. It would also make proper investigative reporting possible.

”their requests for more relaxed traffic laws,” Jeez guys, how more relaxed can our traffic laws be? I suppose they want to drive on the footpath too, just like the motorcycle taxies.

"their requests for more relaxed traffic laws". Are they kidding? I don't think this is possible unless they decide to copy China! It's the only country I have lived where walking on the sidewalks is dangerous because of vehicles using them as another lane when necessary.

Edited by asiacanuck

”their requests for more relaxed traffic laws,” Jeez guys, how more relaxed can our traffic laws be? I suppose they want to drive on the footpath too, just like the motorcycle taxies.

Well, hospitals have to make profits too.