Great bicycle shop experience: Chaitawat Bike Shop

bamboozled

I don't think there are any bikes made in neighboring countries either, not quality ones anyway. Taiwan makes the high end stuff and China is doing more of the top end stuff too nowadays. LA bicycle will be made with imported parts. Do LA bicycle make their frames in Thailand?

The thai beer market is definitely some kind of cartel with barriers for new entrants, and laws to protect the current producers. Where are all the local brewers in each city? Even home brew beer is illegal. No wonder these beer moguls are on the billionaire list.

Bought a Trek 4300 last November at Chaitawat shop and got discounts on all subsequent purchases of accessories. They showed me a few bikes that could match my requirements and then unchained the bike I was interested in so I could try it in the street outside the shop. As the model was a bit too small for me, they unwrapped a larger one they had just received from its original package for me to test. Friendly staff and extremely happy with the bike and the service. Will definitively return.

Prior to this, I also visited Jacky Bike and was looking at the bikes and accessories for approximately 15 minutes without anybody even acknowledging my presence, so I thought they were not really hungry for sales, won't return.

"...was looking at the bikes and accessories for approximately 15 minutes without anybody even acknowledging my presence, so I thought they were not really hungry for sales...."

This is a bad thing?? I wish other stores would take this as the norm, allowing customers the time and space to observe, make up their minds, and then nod or gesture to a salesclerk to finalize their shopping choice.

As is frequently the case when shopping most anywhere in Thailand, you are followed like a shadow by not one but several sale-hungry clerks.

Have never shopped at JB, nor do I even know where it is; but if a bit of shopping freedom is their norm, I will make a comparison visit.

Cheers...

Couldn't agree more! I hate it when someone jumps on me as soon as I enter a store, and is too insistent. But there's a fine line between harassing a potential customer and blatantly ignoring his presence, especially in a small shop. I would at least expect a greeting, or a simple 'Can I help you?'

A nod or gesture wasn't even contemplated, staff had that kind of attitude of contempt (imho) that didn't entice any interest of a purchase. Believe me, I am usually extremely easy to please.

But everyone has different feelings, so best check the place for yourself.

Or maybe it was me being mysteriously invisible that specific day or smelling like dead fish! giggle.gif

Went to Jacky Bikes today,

They didn't want to speak with anyone that looked like a foreigner.

But they did have the best selection of bikes so far.

Prices seemed OK too (not that anything had a price on it).

I'll be doing a round of the shops to see who will order me a Hybrid with a 22" frame, as none of the shops had them in stock.

(Trek FX 7.2 alpha gold aluminium with 22" frame and disc brakes)

• 4 weeks later...

Like every purchase/investment in life it not all about the money and the small saving that can be made.

I have never ben to either shop but reading reviews about chaitawat and the ongoing free customers service, in the scheme of things a 1000bt surcharge (if it actually is) is still a no brainer.

For me you remember service and quality long after you remember the price.

Work on bikes is generally very cheap,

1000bht of work @ 50bht a time would need a lot of visits.

I would buy from the cheapest source, mail order if possible, and shop around for repairs.

Most shops doing upgrades, fit them for free.

NO Thai customers in the shop, only foreigners, always a bad sign.

Chaitawat also have a sign outside, air 5bht, most places it's free.

Chaitawat are located in a tourist, backpacker area, I suspect they smile a lot, speak English and gouge mercilessly, foreigners often confuse smiles with value for money.

I prefer to buy from Thais that don't interact with foreigners too much, Thais used to doing business with foreigners tend to be greedy.

I import a lot of electronic goods from the USA, 25-30% cheaper than in Thailand.

When anything goes wrong, never had a problem getting repaired locally, free or paid, still cheaper.

If you've never been to the shop & have no personal experience.... why are you posting. The large majority of "experienced" customers have posted positive reports. Are you some sort of self appointed online shopping critic ?

How about keeping your negative comments to establishments you've actually supported.

Just sayin.

To all the rest, thanks for your input.

Cheers..... Mal.

Went to Jacky Bikes today,

They didn't want to speak with anyone that looked like a foreigner.

But they did have the best selection of bikes so far.

Prices seemed OK too (not that anything had a price on it).

I'll be doing a round of the shops to see who will order me a Hybrid with a 22" frame, as none of the shops had them in stock.

(Trek FX 7.2 alpha gold aluminium with 22" frame and disc brakes)

From my experience with Jacky Bike, its not a lack of willingness to serve but more a lack of English speaking skills/confidence

They are worth persevering with if they have what you want

Regarding getting a 22" Trek, any of the Trek dealers will order one for you, but they all go through the distributor Probike, so you could first try contacting them to see if they have vthat model & size in stock in Thailand

• 2 months later...

Just bought a bicycle.

Found a second hand bike shop in MaeJo, near the BeLive traffic lights and the petrol station.

(On the main 1001 to MaeJo, hang a U-ey at the Belive traffic lights, past the petrol stn, 100m on the left)

Lots of 2nd hand bikes, Giant, Merida, Schwinn, etc., 5,000-9,000bht.

Frame sizes limited as usual, biggest one was 19".

Advertises as 'notimephone' on OLX.

You can handle the bikes, sit on them, take them for a test ride, no problems, nice guy, ZERO English.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

I found it was like pulling teeth to get a price from them on Trek before due to another dealership near Nimman.

Always got the 'price when you pay' response but now they put prices on the bikes I'm guessing due to the volume of backpackers trailing past the place asking OWMUCH ?.

If u know only one bike shop in Chiang Mai u can effectively write " a great bicycle shop;

I remember, a few months ago, The shop is in front of Same_Same GH , I need somebody can check my bike wireless computer ; it was not possible because the workers were not there and the owner of the shop who is a woman don't know anything about a bicycle...

there are many bike shops in Chiang Mai;

I remember coming from Doi_Suthep, on the large road which name is Huaykaew ( rd n* 1004 ) on the right side when coming from Doi_Suthep, I think not far from Central Departement Store; there is also a bike shop;

For me, it's a subjective answer, the biggest shop and the best one is not in Chiang Mai but in Pa_Sang - Lamphun Province,

it's not far from Chiang Mai; u can go there with ur bicycle and comme back easily in the same day .

Rd 106 going to Saraphi - Lamphun - Pa_Sang ; about 40 km from central Chiang Mai .

p3272436_chiang_m...ristophe-451d3e4.jpg
p3272434_chiang_m...ristophe-451d3ee.jpg
p3272435_chiang_m...ristophe-451d3f0.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nice shop!

Do you happen to have GPS coordinated for it?

If u know only one bike shop in Chiang Mai u can effectively write " a great bicycle shop;

I remember, a few months ago, The shop is in front of Same_Same GH , I need somebody can check my bike wireless computer ; it was not possible because the workers were not there and the owner of the shop who is a woman don't know anything about a bicycle...

I remember coming from Doi_Suthep, on the large road which name is Huaykaew ( rd n* 1004 ) on the right side when coming from Doi_Suthep, I think not far from Central Departement Store; there is also a bike shop;

For me, it's a subjective answer, the biggest shop and the best one is not in Chiang Mai but in Pa_Sang - Lamphun Province,

it's not far from Chiang Mai; u can go there with ur bicycle and comme back easily in the same day .

Rd 106 going to Saraphi - Lamphun - Pa_Sang ; about 40 km from central Chiang Mai .

Here's another shop for those interested in checking out what appears to be high-end bikes and

equipment. It's located on the very south end of Chang Klan Road, just before it meets up with Mahidol Road.

It's at the Y-intersection north of the pass under Mahidol on the west side of the river.

The manager says the he provides both sales and service. I cannot vouch for either, but it's worth looking

into.

http://goo.gl/maps/p1vzC

I went to Chaitawat the other day, and it seemed like a great shop. Great selection of Treks, prices posted (finally, a shop that makes shopping easy), and plenty of staff.

However, all the bikes were chained up and hard to access. So I asked an elderly man (maybe the owner) if I could see one model, with large 29 tires.

He asked me, "Will you buy it today?"

I explained to him that I am actually searching for two bikes, for both me and my wife. But I simply want to sit on the 29er to see how it feels. I didn't plan to buy today, because I want to bring my wife back.

His answer? No. I can't sit on, or touch, the bike I'm interested in.

Then he goes on to tell me that if I bring money back and am ready to buy that day, they will unlock the bikes and sell me one that fits me.

After a few minutes of reasoning - in Thai and English - he still refused to listen or even pull the bike out of the rack out so I could see it up close. He was harsh and seemed annoyed that I was even there.

For real?!? I wasn't treated this poorly at any other bike shop in town.

I headed over to Jacky Bike later in the day and a fluent English speaker came up to me, answered my question, told me the price (exactly the same as at Chaitawat) and even allowed me to sit on the bike... Giving advice about my body size, seat height, and whether they had the right frame size in stock for my wife too.

Complete opposite attitudes at both stores. I will likely never go back to Chaitawat... but their selection is great. :-)

Edited by ywamer
  • Like 1

Just bought a bicycle.

Found a second hand bike shop in MaeJo, near the BeLive traffic lights and the petrol station.

(On the main 1001 to MaeJo, hang a U-ey at the Belive traffic lights, past the petrol stn, 100m on the left)

Lots of 2nd hand bikes, Giant, Merida, Schwinn, etc., 5,000-9,000bht.

Frame sizes limited as usual, biggest one was 19".

Advertises as 'notimephone' on OLX.

You can handle the bikes, sit on them, take them for a test ride, no problems, nice guy, ZERO English.

For those who need directions, the Mae Jo used bike store is located at: N 18° 52.367' E 099° 00.944'

Or view it on Google maps: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=18.87278472,99.01572542

Same experience for me at Chaitawat.The bike was the front one on display 2 inches off the ground and they wouldn't even take it off the stand and let me sit on it unless I said I was going to buy it if it fit me. The guy said that it was a waste of his time if I didn't buy. It was the bike I wanted and I had the cash in my wallet,but just had to walk away from someone with that attitude.Bizarre.

Went to Jacky Bike and he was very helpful and brought a bike down from upstairs for me to try and gave me advice about sizing and stuff.

Nice shop!

Do you happen to have GPS coordinated for it?

I don't have and know how to use a GPS...

but I know how to use my computer laugh.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pa_Sang_District

Coordinates: 17px-WMA_button2b.png18°31′33″N 98°56′21″E

I use paper maps and my long experience ( memory ) of cycling in Thailand ; about 15,000 kilometers each year since more than 7 years ...