Thailand To Deport Two Swedish Crime Suspects

george

Thailand to deport two Swedish crime suspects

BANGKOK: -- Thai immigration police will deport two Swedish nationals wanted in their homeland for committing crimes and fleeing to "paradise" to enjoy their illicit earnings, a senior police official said on Tuesday.

Norgen Karl Anders, 34, and Stig Joren Joaim, 44, were arrested in Thailand's Phuket beach resort, 650 kilometres south of Bangkok, on June 14, after the Swedish embassy confirmed that both men faced arrest warrants in Sweden for past crimes, Thai Immigration Police Commissioner Lieutenant General Suwat Thamrongsrisakul told a press conference.

Anders faces charges of smuggling alcohol concentrate into Sweden in 2003 and avoiding 2.6 million dollars worth of taxes, while Joakim faces charges of importing 50 kilograms of methamphetamines from the Netherlands last year.

Both men, married to Thai women, have had their passports revoked by Sweden and thus may be deported from Thailand without legal complications.

"Thailand has become a paradise for criminals to hide in," said Suwat. "We will investigate any foreigner married to a Thai who shows suspicious behaviour, by contacting their embassy and finding out if they have criminal records," he warned.

Anders, the alcohol-concentrate smuggler, smiled and laughed throughout the press conference and seemed unperturbed by his deportation orders.

When asked by Thai reporters whom he thought would win the Sweden-UK World Cup football match scheduled Tuesday night, Anders predicted, "Sweden will defeat the UK by 2 to 1."

--Agencies 2006-06-20

I am sure Thailand is well rid of these folk.

I understant the misery methamphetamine causes.

Can someone enlighten me on what alcohol-concentrate is? :D I was under the idea that alcohol was the pure product it is used to dilute and disolve other substances. :o

capt-1.jpg

Swedish Joakim Stig Joren, 44, from Gotenburg covers his face after press conference at the immigration bureau in Bangkok on Tuesday June 20, 2006. A Swedish man who fled a drug trafficking charge in his homeland has been arrested in Thailand and is to be deported next week, police said Tuesday. (AP Photo)