Nissan NV LX - Engine?

Hi Guys,

Have just bought a 1996 Nissan NV LX and been nosing about the engine a bit. This is my first Carburettor car I have owned and definitely feels different to drive, seems to not like pulling too hard in the lower revs of each gear, is this normal? I cant tell if I just need to stay in gear longer compared to my old VW 2.0 litre injection car I had. Once the revs are higher this one pulls nicely.

I am also trying to find any english information online about the car or engine. Was it sold in the west under another name? The Engine must be in other Nissan's but not sure which ones. Does anyone know the engine code for the LX 1996 Carb 1.6 Twincam? Is it the GA16DS?

20140521171020_S8_zps3baf7ee7.jpg

Also any links to resources would be great help, such as stripping down the carb etc.

cheers.

Edited by Bmouthboyo

Code GA16,maybe it's still got the origional plugs incool.png a new set with the correct gap might help along with new air filter.

The engine looks fairly well kept so I would think sparks are OK, but will have a look for carbon deposits etc.

At the moment I am finding the temperature guage is hardly budging even after being stuck in traffic. It moves past the resting place but only about 1/8th of the full range. Trying to find where the sensor is and check connection. With the heat here in BKK I doubt its a cool engine caused by thermostat not opening. That engine was hot!

Might also check the timing with a light gun and retard / advance timing via the distributor, but just want to ensure the lag I experience when changing gear is not cause I am so used to injection engines which I guess are more responsive. With no rev counter it is hard to know if shifting too early too (pre 3000RPM).

Check the thermostat easy, enough, also check to see if it's the right one.

Same for the sparks.

Your checking your timing always good to go.

Maybe an upgrade carb to a twin choke weber or a racechip will make it zoom better.biggrin.png

Code GA16,maybe it's still got the origional plugs incool.png a new set with the correct gap might help along with new air filter.

The engine looks fairly well kept so I would think sparks are OK, but will have a look for carbon deposits etc.

At the moment I am finding the temperature guage is hardly budging even after being stuck in traffic. It moves past the resting place but only about 1/8th of the full range. Trying to find where the sensor is and check connection. With the heat here in BKK I doubt its a cool engine caused by thermostat not opening. That engine was hot!

Might also check the timing with a light gun and retard / advance timing via the distributor, but just want to ensure the lag I experience when changing gear is not cause I am so used to injection engines which I guess are more responsive. With no rev counter it is hard to know if shifting too early too (pre 3000RPM).

Temp sensor is located right hand side rear ,just behind distributor,thermostat is opposite side.

Sounds like ignition timing ,as tuned right these really get up and go.

These engines were in the Nissan Sentra before the Sentra went injected.

• Like 1

So with a light gun I should easily be able to advance / retard the timing just by twisting the dizzy? No head off work?

Is it even worth doing these kinda things here in Thailand for should I just take it to a Nissan garage and ask them to give it a look over and tune up? Would that be cheap?

I am pretty handy with mechanics but all my tools are in the UK so would have to buy a timing light, multimeter, socket sex etc.

So with a light gun I should easily be able to advance / retard the timing just by twisting the dizzy? No head off work?

Is it even worth doing these kinda things here in Thailand for should I just take it to a Nissan garage and ask them to give it a look over and tune up? Would that be cheap?

I am pretty handy with mechanics but all my tools are in the UK so would have to buy a timing light, multimeter, socket sex etc.

Loads of places in Bangkok and usually for a tune up check very cheap.

Maybe try the main dealer first near you or someone on err can tell where to go if you say where you are.smile.png

Distributor cap is only locked with a couple of Phillips head screws, timing cant be far out if its running ok now, just advance till it pings then back off.

My NV pickup has over 100k on it and will wheely through 1st and second from the lights.biggrin.png

Don't get me wrong it pulls well it just almost feels like i am dropping the clutch in the gears too soon and the engine struggles to pull until it hits a certain rev then it pulls strong. Unfortunately as I have never driven a carb I cannot tell if it is just the change I'm not used to. Surly airflow plays an important role in carb engines as it means more enriched air entering opposed to injection where it is directly added to the piston?

Anyone have any idea of the MPG?

It's best to calculate yourself as everyone drives differently. Just fill and reset the trip meter, then refill to calculate. I guess it uses more than an EFI model and modern equivalents. The lack of low end pull could just be a characteristic of the motor. I had a modified mini that only pulled hard over 4000 rpm. A decent tune may help it, and you can get some aftermarket headers for a bit more pull:)

• 9 months later...

Temp sensor is located right hand side rear ,just behind distributor,thermostat is opposite side.

Sounds like ignition timing ,as tuned right these really get up and go.

These engines were in the Nissan Sentra before the Sentra went injected.

Thank you for the information about the location of the Temp sensor. I have the same situation with the temperature gauge only goes up a little. However; when the engine gets hot, it moves up to about 60% of the range and the fans start, so I guess it works OK. It's just irritating, so I want to install an external temperature gauge. But; if I remove the original sensor (and cable), will the fans still start when needed?. (My testing is done without the aircon on.)