Bringing My Uk Car To Los

Have a non immigrant 1 year visa, a rental residence in Korat and a Thai driving licence.

I want to bring my car from the UK to Thailand along with other personal effects in a 40ft container.

Other personal effects and the car are second hand and the personal effects include furniture/ books etc..

The car is valued at £12000 in the UK down from £15000 new but to sell it in the UK (as is) would possibly get 8K?

It may be better to bring it here? I have heard that if I don't keep it here forever I can avoid import tax.

Has anyone done or has info on doing it?

EastWest Co. do shipping too and I discovered them in Pattaya. Has anyone experience of using them?

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!

Others have tried and failed :o

Theoretically you ought to be able to recover the import duty (2-300% of NEW value) paid when you re-export the car. But you will still have to pay the duty on import and the chances of actually getting anything back are as close to zero as makes no difference.

This is of course, assuming the vehicle does not catch the eye of some customs inspector and get confiscated for some innane paperwork problem.

It really, really, is not worth the bother.

Frankly speaking, do not even think of bringing your car here.

Talking about used household goods which are supposed to be duty- and tax exempted, a general rule:

NOTE: Motor vehicles, alcoholic beverages and tobacco are excluded from this rebate.

Means, a motor vehicle is NOT to be treated as household (or removal) goods.

Your 1 year non-immigrant visa needs to be accompanied by a work permit, valid for one year, to get your used household goods duty- and tax free. So you will have some problems already, if you have no WP. As said, do not even think of the car.

Frankly speaking, do not even think of bringing your car here.

Talking about used household goods which are supposed to be duty- and tax exempted, a general rule:

NOTE: Motor vehicles, alcoholic beverages and tobacco are excluded from this rebate.

Means, a motor vehicle is NOT to be treated as household (or removal) goods.

Your 1 year non-immigrant visa needs to be accompanied by a work permit, valid for one year, to get your used household goods duty- and tax free. So you will have some problems already, if you have no WP. As said, do not even think of the car.

or the personal effects :o

Have a non immigrant 1 year visa, a rental residence in Korat and a Thai driving licence.

I want to bring my car from the UK to Thailand along with other personal effects in a 40ft container.

Other personal effects and the car are second hand and the personal effects include furniture/ books etc..

The car is valued at £12000 in the UK down from £15000 new but to sell it in the UK (as is) would possibly get 8K?

It may be better to bring it here? I have heard that if I don't keep it here forever I can avoid import tax.

EastWest Co. do shipping too and I discovered them in Pattaya. Has anyone experience of using them?

There are cirmcumstances....e.g. if you intend to have the car here for work for a short period...less than a year where in theory you can avoid the duty. In most countries you would need a shipping/customs agent wwho would underwrite the duty on the vehicle...i.e. he would be the guarantor. This way you might avoid the dduty.

However I would have to agree with the advice of the other postings not to attempt it.

It is also worth bearing in mind that for the euivalent of £10.000 you can buy a top of the range 4WD pick up truck...this would include leather trim, CD, automatic etc etc and servicing etc is cheap and simple. 14k will get you a Fortuner (pick-up based 4wd estate car) etc.

Is the vehicle particularly special? Can you not buy your model in Thailand? Would it be suited to the weather and roads here, does it have a good air-con (not a crapppy Northern European one designed too be a heater too?. can you get the parts here? Do they know how to work on ity here? Remember a convertable is the last thing you want over here (or even a sun roof for that matter)

If yopu wait for a few years there are free trade agreements in process with Australia......then I'm going to import a 4WD Holden ute!

Good luck!¬

and let us know how you get on...i guess it must be possible if not very economical.........

There are circumstances....e.g. if you intend to have the car here for work for a short period...less than a year where in theory you can avoid the duty. In most countries you would need a government registered shipping/customs agent who would underwrite the duty on the vehicle...i.e. he would be the guarantor. This way you might avoid the duty.

However I would have to agree with the advice of the other postings not to attempt it.

It is also worth bearing in mind that for the equivalent of £10.000 you can buy a top of the range 4WD pick up truck...this would include leather trim, CD, automatic etc etc and servicing etc is cheap and simple. 14k will get you a Fortuner (pick-up based 4wd estate car) etc.

Is the vehicle particularly special? Can you not buy your model in Thailand? Would it be suited to the weather and roads here, does it have a good air-con (not a crappy Northern European one designed too be a heater too?. can you get the parts here? Do they know how to work on it here? Remember a convertible is the last thing you want over here (or even a sun roof for that matter)

If you wait for a few years there are free trade agreements in process with Australia......then I'm going to import a 4WD Holden Ute!

Good luck!

and let us know how you get on...I guess it must be possible if not very economical.........

Wilko et al

Many thanks for your advice, which I will take.

I have taken the point and will try to afford to keep my top of the range Skoda with A/C,cruise control, leather upholstery 1.9 TDI 110bhp diesel hatchback. It is 15 months old and my second Skoda which I simply enjoy driving in the UK

That is unless you know someone who will give it a good home?

Wilko et al

I have taken the point and will try to afford to keep my top of the range Skoda with A/C,cruise control, leather upholstery 1.9 TDI 110bhp diesel hatchback. It is 15 months old and my second Skoda which I simply enjoy driving in the UK

Sister company SEAT (& VW) are available here so I wouldn't be surprised to find Skoda here in Bkk. Diesels are very poular here too. 2nd hand cars are quite dear, and imports rather than assembled here can be dear, so perhaps you should check Skoda Thailand for a web site and prices.

Wilko et al

Which model of Skoda is it....the only one officially imported into Thailand at the moment is the Octavia TDi and comes in at a cool 2 million baht (roughly 25000 GBP). And I've only ever seen 2 on the roads of Bangkok in over a year.

I think your making a big mistake to try and import it. Remember the duty (200%ish) you will pay if you can get an import licence will mean it costs more than buying a new Skoda here. Just to re-emphasise the point previously made, the duty will be payable on the NEW price of the car, not the second hand value regardless of the fact it is 15 months old.

i thought that skoda pulled out of thailand last year.

best not to get too attached to cars , they end up costing more than a high end mistress (so i'm told)

sell it , and when you go back to the uk , buy another one , its a good car , and there are a lot of them about.

at the end of the day , its only a car.

i thought that skoda pulled out of thailand last year.

They still have a showroom at The Mall Bangkapi advertising the Octavia. Its shared with Citroen......guess the importer is the same company...Yontrakit

Without wanting to sneeze all over your pasty, it is only a mid range saloon, comparable to every other mid range rep mobile on the road.

Save yourself lots of bother and sell it back home. I can imagine the look on Somchais face when he sees the Skoda badge when you drive it into his garage.....