Multiple Entry ED Visa Success w/o School in Thailand - LA Consulate

Hi all!

I just wanted to let everyone know that if you are a student at an American university, it is possible to get an Education visa without signing up for a study abroad program. Before applying for my visa I did a lot of searching online to figure out what kind of visa I could get that would allow me to stay in Thailand while finishing my novel; unfortunately couldn't find much of any information on the topic.

Hopefully this info will help others who are in similar situations.

About Me

- Grad Student at the University of California (Creative Writing Major)

- Many Online Classes

- I will be graduating next year and thus doing independent research for my thesis project

- Waaaaaaay too young for a retirement visa

About My Visa

- Non-Immigrant ED (education) Visa

- Valid One Year

- Unlimited Entries

- Cost: $200

- Issuing Location: LA Consulate

Visa Requirements

- All documents required for tourist visa

- Letter from American university indicating why you are going to Thailand

University Letter Requirements

- Should be printed on university letterhead and signed by a program manager or adviser

- Should indicate how being in Thailand relates to your studies

(In my case, the letter said that my thesis is a novel that features a Thai protagonist, and the purpose of my time in Thailand is to learn about modern Thai culture as a means to accurately portray it in my thesis)

- Multiple Entry Only: Should indicate why you might need to leave Thailand and come back over the course of your visa

(In my case, the letter from my university said that there are scenes in my novel that take place in other countries in Asia and I will likely visit them for similar research purposes... Also, I indicated that I will have to return to the USA a few times a year to meet with professors.)

Honestly, in spite of the laundry list of documents listed on the web site, the only ones that the folks at the consulate even looked at were the letter from the university, my photos, and my passport. I was honestly a little disappointed that they didn't check my itineraries and bank statements since I scrambled around so much at the last minute to gather everything for them. The process was fast and painless. I don't know his name, but I talked to the only white guy at the visa counter. He took my letter and passport, disappeared into the back room for about 10 minutes, and then came back and said "No problem, you can get a multiple entry visa. Just come back tomorrow to pick up your passport."

• Like 1

Just remember that you must leave the country every 90 days. The visa is valid for one year but you only get get 90 days for each entry.

You can stretch your stay to almost 15 months by doing an entry just before your visa expires and get another 90 day entry.

I wasn't sure about the 90 day thing with an education visa since it's the same visa that I'd get if I were an exchange student, but that's fine. That bit about visiting other countries in Asia was true - I'd like to visit Singapore and Myanmar at the very least.

That does raise an interesting question though... if I were an exchange student at a Thai university, would I really be expected to leave the country mid semester and come back to Thailand?

As an exchange student you would be enrolled in a university which would make you eligible for a one year extension of stay. There would be no need to leave the country in this case.

You only have to leave the country every 90 days long enough to enter another country and turn around and come back.

Certainly an interesting interpretation the application of the rules and conditions which on the face of it seems to be acceptable to the L.A.consulate who issued the relevant visa, said consulate will without doubt now be inundated with applications for the Ed Visa.

Certainly I can see those schools, agencies and individual who advertise their services and who of course have a vested interest in their wallets thickness starting to complain to the relevant authorities about this particular process and no doubt the L.A. Consulate too.

Interesting to see or be informed that perhaps there may be some connection concerning the treaty of Amity twixt Thailand and America that may have influenced the matter.

I wasn't sure about the 90 day thing with an education visa since it's the same visa that I'd get if I were an exchange student, but that's fine. That bit about visiting other countries in Asia was true - I'd like to visit Singapore and Myanmar at the very least.

That does raise an interesting question though... if I were an exchange student at a Thai university, would I really be expected to leave the country mid semester and come back to Thailand?

whistling.gif Glad you got it.

You gave a legitimate reason for your request, appeared to be legitimate and sincere, and they bought it,

That's just so others out there know it is possible to do it.

Now, those of us, who live here long term just hope you mean it and do what you said, not spend all your time boozing it up in some bars.

That is because, as a foreigner in Thailand you will be watched and what you do will be used as the example of "all foreigner's conduct".

They will be watching you, and you will be expected to be an example of what all "Farangs" do. So behave yourself.

I'll take it on faith you will.

Something you need to understand however.

Even though you will be here on a one year multi-entry visa, you will NOT be allowed to work here without a work permit. Having a valid visa does not allow you to work in Thailand. That includes "researching" your book.

That doesn't mean you can't do 'research" for a book, but it does mean keeping any such research on the level of taking motes. And, personally, I would advise keeping any such research note taking on the quiet.

It is not legal for you to "work" here as an author..... but remember, you only taking notes.

Clear?

To answer your question:

If you were a foreign student at a Thai university , you would enroll in a course at that Thai university.

Then you would get a one year extension of your visa for the purposes of attending that course.

That one year extension would legally keep you in Thailand attending University. You would not need to leave every 90 days as you do with a visa. You would however, need to do reporting every 90 days at your local immigration during that extension.

If you wanted to leave Thailand and return during that time, you would need to purchase an exit re-entry permit to keep your extension valid.

But you don't now, because you have that multi entry visa.

• Like 1

I'm not worried about working in Thailand because I'm a student. I don't want to work in Thailand, or rather I'd rather not do so until I've graduated.

Also, I don't drink alcohol. I really am going to Thailand to understand Thai life. I lived in Korea last year and kind of avoided foreigners. I suspect I'll do the same in Thailand.

Edited by pjthefey

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Certainly an interesting interpretation the application of the rules and conditions which on the face of it seems to be acceptable to the L.A.consulate who issued the relevant visa, said consulate will without doubt now be inundated with applications for the Ed Visa.

Certainly I can see those schools, agencies and individual who advertise their services and who of course have a vested interest in their wallets thickness starting to complain to the relevant authorities about this particular process and no doubt the L.A. Consulate too.

Interesting to see or be informed that perhaps there may be some connection concerning the treaty of Amity twixt Thailand and America that may have influenced the matter.

You are speaking as if this is some kind of loop hole when it's not.

You actually have to be a student, have a reason for going to Thailand, and provide a letter from your university proving your enrollment and validating your course of study. Yes, I'm finishing my novel while I'm there, but I also told them very directly that this is what I am doing, and that the novel is my thesis project. The reason I made the post is because most people probably don't realize that this is an option, hence the lack of information I was able to find on the internet before I applied.