Prayuth says no to proposal to dig Kra Isthmus Canal in Prachuap Khiri Khan

webfact

I have always felt this should have been done decades ago. It looked like they were going to pull the trigger on it in the nineties but it lost momentum ( probably because of the current crisis then). It is not even that difficult a project to do and will bring incredible wealth to Thailand and southern Myanmar.

It would create one the worlds biggest shipping zones pulling nearly all the business out of the Straits of Malacca. Of course Singaporean business doesn't like this at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the politicians and influential people who bought land near the proposed site ,years ago,

will have to wait a bit longer to reap the rewards,must be a few disappointed people.

regards worgeordie

You nailed it! That's exactly how infrastructure policies work here.

normally I might disagree but when the argument is that it turns Thailand into an island..........then how can one really disagree?

Not sure how Thailand can be an Island without digging the canal around the border with Cambodia Laos and Myanmar. He may consider the part south of the proposed canal as an island connected to Malaysia. Maybe he is scared that this part ( mostly Muslem ) would then try and separate from Mainland Thailand

globalmilitarism151_07.jpg

Digging the Panama canal didn't separate Panama into 2 parts nor Egypt when Suez canal was dug

Political fears re Muslim separatists. Exacery!!! There is the problem. It would up the ante on the secession to Malaysia.

PS the Mekong makes a virtual Island of much of it already on that logic.

If I recall correctly, a late Welsh, Pattaya resident expat by the name of Tristan Jones, navigated the Isthmus of Kra about twentyfive years ago. Dragging his boat with elephants part of the way. from west to east. He then sailed to Pattaya where he and his crew were refused a shower by one of the up and coming hotels management. A heroes welcome? Nothing to do with the Generals declaration. but anyway............

General, Sir, please allow me, I beg you not to bury the Kra canal. For sure, with all you know, you must be aware the Kra canal would be a, if not 'the', most important factor of influence on the future of the Kingdom of Thailand, and for the better, only. Some of the greatest, and most visionary, Monarchs of Thailand, including H.M. King Rama IX, were, is, in favour of the concept. Sir, you know so much more than I do, for sure you realise the tremendous boost it would give, on short, and even more on long, term to this country you love, on so many levels, economic, industrial, labour, social, political, strategic, ... It would put Thailand on the map of the World in a totally different position. And Thailand would be in control, but not in need of financing the project. Not speaking of China, how much do you think Japan, S. Korea, India, the E.U., and the U.S.A., and so many more, would be eager to participate to this work-of-titans? For their own profit, of course, but that would be the profit of Thailand too. Of course, Singapore, Malaysia, and possibly Burma will not be in favour of the project, of letting Thailand take away a major chunck of their very profitable portal and transit activities. But can this, or anything else, be good enough a reason to deprive Thailand, and the Thais, of (proverbially) 'become rich while sleeping'? General, Sir, with all due respect, may I please, politely ask you to look deeper into this, crucial, matter, and, to, possibly, reconsider about it? Not for this Farang, Sir, for the Thais and their home country's future. Thank you, Sir.

• Like 1

General, Sir, please allow me, I beg you not to bury the Kra canal. For sure, with all you know, you must be aware the Kra canal would be a, if not 'the', most important factor of influence on the future of the Kingdom of Thailand, and for the better, only. Some of the greatest, and most visionary, Monarchs of Thailand, including H.M. King Rama IX, were, is, in favour of the concept. Sir, you know so much more than I do, for sure you realise the tremendous boost it would give, on short, and even more on long, term to this country you love, on so many levels, economic, industrial, labour, social, political, strategic, ... It would put Thailand on the map of the World in a totally different position. And Thailand would be in control, but not in need of financing the project. Not speaking of China, how much do you think Japan, S. Korea, India, the E.U., and the U.S.A., and so many more, would be eager to participate to this work-of-titans? For their own profit, of course, but that would be the profit of Thailand too. Of course, Singapore, Malaysia, and possibly Burma will not be in favour of the project, of letting Thailand take away a major chunck of their very profitable portal and transit activities. But can this, or anything else, be good enough a reason to deprive Thailand, and the Thais, of (proverbially) 'become rich while sleeping'? General, Sir, with all due respect, may I please, politely ask you to look deeper into this, crucial, matter, and, to, possibly, reconsider about it? Not for this Farang, Sir, for the Thais and their home country's future. Thank you, Sir.

Due to the fluid situation in Thailand and the pressure being placed on the media,
Thaivisa will temporarily impose strict limitations on any comments that can be construed as being negative about the imposition of Martial Law or the Coup.
1) You "disagree" with the general's decision!
Posters will also not be permitted to make references to the royal family.
2) In the very same post you manage to speak of her majesty the king, congratulation facepalm.gif

'THE' 'BIG' mistake for Thailand, as a State, as a Nation, was to let itself getting involved in the Dawei project, IMHO. Many of us have become aware of (a lot of) what was hidden or baked-in in that project (but not of all for sure). What has soon become quite clear is, that for Thailand, again, as a State and a Nation, the costs would be very high, in taxpayers' money, as usual, and via State Banks forced to invest, because of decisions made by 'a' 'government' lead by a Shinawatra, a certain Thaksin in reality. And look who was, is, the 'big man' behind the whole Dawei adventure, you could have guessed it, the same, Thaksin, and the Shinawatra family too, some 'allied' 'big players' in Thai construction and industry, plus, 'abroad', the Generals from the Burmese dictatorship, and families, 'also' the P.R. of China, as a State, plus some of its 'influencial' groups (of offsprings of communist leaders become USD billionaires), and some 'funds' hidden there by, erm, Thai new elites.

So, the Thai State would build huge infrastructure, a.o. highways U.S. style, railroads German style, to-, and inject HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS in a portal, industrial, and transit infrastructure in- ...Burma, and with a quite short lease period! What? For whom? For the Thai sea ports who would lose a major chunk of their activities? For the companies running infrastructure there going bankrupt? For the many thousands of Thais losing their job? No, of course not. For some Thai industrials getting their export goods quicker to the Indian Ocean? Hmm, yes, but who are they...? For the Chinese getting goods to, and from, the Indian Ocean/ the South of China? Ah, yes, of course! But, but, then, who were going to be the main beneficiaries of the Dawei project in Thailand? Not clear yet? The SHINAWATRAS! General Prayuth, Sir, please kill the Dawei project, it's a bottomless pit for all the, real, true, Thais, and only serves a few 'members of the new merchants' elite', you know what I mean...

• Like 1

The project will be extremely costly.

Imagine the amazing waste of money due to corruption on absolutely all levels.

However, if it is done, the reward is amazing.

There is now corruption anymore. The General is in charge!!!

Thats almost charmingly cute.

But I guess you were sarcastic, right?

;)

Due to the fluid situation in Thailand and the pressure being placed on the media,
Thaivisa will temporarily impose strict limitations on any comments that can be construed as being negative about the imposition of Martial Law or the Coup.
2) In the very same post you manage to speak of her majesty the king, congratulation facepalm.gif

Where do you see that I disagree with General Prayuth? Cant' you make the difference between a, formally polite, plea and an expression of disagreement (who am I anyway to 'disagree" with General Pryuth, as long as I'm not having a private conversation with him in which he would ask about my opinion...?)? Sorry, but, then, with you, I strongly disagree! As for the Royal Family, it wouldn't be out of place when out of respect you would make use of capitals for a start, when you allow me, and 'make references' means to me attempting to implicate or associate the Royal Family into opinions Its Members have not been officially reported to be presenting as being their own. Quod non. Making your opinion quite silly to me...

• Like 1

Where do you see that I disagree with General Prayuth? Cant' you make the difference between a, formally polite, plea and an expression of disagreement (who am I anyway to 'disagree" with General Pryuth, as long as I'm not having a private conversation with him in which he would ask about my opinion...?)? Sorry, but, then, with you, I strongly disagree! As for the Royal Family, it wouldn't be out of place when out of respect you would make use of capitals for a start, when you allow me, and 'make references' means to me attempting to implicate or associate the Royal Family into opinions Its Members have not been officially reported to be presenting as being their own. Quod non. Making your opinion quite silly to me...

Saying you "disagree" with the general is almost ridicules (sarcastic)

My use of capital letters is a copy paste of the notice of Admin (see post number 2)

So sorry if Admin was out of respect to all of us...

...maybe exception was mentioned for the sense of humor? I did not paid attention, I thought it was clear not to make reference to the Royal family, not written elsewhere on ThaiVisa, but on this very OP post 2.

But after all up to youcoffee1.gif

Edited by Tchooptip

'THE' 'BIG' mistake for Thailand, as a State, as a Nation, was to let itself getting involved in the Dawei project, IMHO. Many of us have become aware of (a lot of) what was hidden or baked-in in that project (but not of all for sure). What has soon become quite clear is, that for Thailand, again, as a State and a Nation, the costs would be very high, in taxpayers' money, as usual, and via State Banks forced to invest, because of decisions made by 'a' 'government' lead by a Shinawatra, a certain Thaksin in reality. And look who was, is, the 'big man' behind the whole Dawei adventure, you could have guessed it, the same, Thaksin, and the Shinawatra family too, some 'allied' 'big players' in Thai construction and industry, plus, 'abroad', the Generals from the Burmese dictatorship, and families, 'also' the P.R. of China, as a State, plus some of its 'influencial' groups (of offsprings of communist leaders become USD billionaires), and some 'funds' hidden there by, erm, Thai new elites.

So, the Thai State would build huge infrastructure, a.o. highways U.S. style, railroads German style, to-, and inject HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS in a portal, industrial, and transit infrastructure in- ...Burma, and with a quite short lease period! What? For whom? For the Thai sea ports who would lose a major chunk of their activities? For the companies running infrastructure there going bankrupt? For the many thousands of Thais losing their job? No, of course not. For some Thai industrials getting their export goods quicker to the Indian Ocean? Hmm, yes, but who are they...? For the Chinese getting goods to, and from, the Indian Ocean/ the South of China? Ah, yes, of course! But, but, then, who were going to be the main beneficiaries of the Dawei project in Thailand? Not clear yet? The SHINAWATRAS! General Prayuth, Sir, please kill the Dawei project, it's a bottomless pit for all the, real, true, Thais, and only serves a few 'members of the new merchants' elite', you know what I mean...

I disagree. That project would be far more beneficial and more practical to build than the proposed Isthmus of Kra canal project, which I think is probably the dumbest and costliest idea ever.

First of all, Dawei is only 350km from Bangkok and by building the proposed 8-lane expressway with a design speed of 120km/h or perhaps 100km/h for trucks, the journey would take little more than 3.5 hours from the port, also assuming that by then with the advent of AEC, customs procedures would be minimal and efficient. Onward road transport to China (or alternatively via rail, if a railway is built) would also be realistic, either via the proposed Singapore to Kunming high speed rail link that travels past Bangkok to Vientiane and then onto Kunming, or via a separate Myanmar to Kunming line that has also been proposed.

Secondly, being at about the same latitude as Bangkok and therefore relatively close to the major population and industrial center of Thailand, Dawei would be perfectly positioned, geographically speaking, certainly much better than somewhere down near the Malaysian border, which is what, only a 12-hour drive from Bangkok along a road that is horribly bumpy at times, due to the weight of the trucks destroying the road, causing it to be re-patched numerous times? Also, what's wrong with building a port on Thailand's Andaman coast and then the supporting infrastructure, or perhaps there aren't any suitable locations? Note that I am not suggesting the latter, but merely making a suggestion that almost anything is better than the Isthmus of Kra canal project.

Thirdly, the economic benefits to Thailand and Myanmar would be vast. Myanmar gets improved infrastructure, new factories, new jobs and gets to be the envy of the region, if not the world with it's huge deep sea port. I do hope that project goes ahead.

Any one of these projects or project ideas is better than the Isthmus of Kra project but I like the Dawei one the most.

And sure, many ships could benefit from sailing through an Isthmus of Kra canal rather than going via the Strait of Malacca, but unlike the Suez and the Panama canals, the current distance that needs to be sailed bypassing Singapore first is rather insignificant compared to the huge distances that would need to be sailed from Saudi Arabia to Cyprus, if it weren't for the Suez canal, or from New Zealand to Europe, if it weren't for the Panama canal. Hence I don't see much of a good reason to build a canal in southern Thailand when a combination of a Myanmar deep sea port and supporting infrastructure to Thailand and China would do the trick (and probably be much faster too). For example, it would take like a week (or more) to travel by sea from the Gulf of Thailand end of an Isthmus of Kra canal just to Guangzhou, but by road or rail, if the improvements are made then it could be much less than this. Also, with more industry moving to western China due to lower costs focusing on Myanmar and building high speed rail links to SE Asia would make much more sense.

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Like 1

Saying you "disagree" with the general is almost ridicules (sarcastic)

My use of capital letters is a copy paste of the notice of Admin (see post number 2)

So sorry if Admin was out of respect to all of us...

...maybe exception was mentioned for the sense of humor? I did not paid attention, I thought it was clear not to make reference to the Royal family, not written elsewhere on ThaiVisa, but on this very OP post 2.

But after all up to youcoffee1.gif

Thanks for your concerns! And actually I would truly wish someone would report this, Farang, guest's constructive opinion 'up there'! Wouldn't you like to be allowed to contribute, as small as our means can be, to the ongoing positive reforms?

• Like 1

I have always felt this should have been done decades ago. It looked like they were going to pull the trigger on it in the nineties but it lost momentum ( probably because of the current crisis then). It is not even that difficult a project to do and will bring incredible wealth to Thailand and southern Myanmar.

It would create one the worlds biggest shipping zones pulling nearly all the business out of the Straits of Malacca. Of course Singaporean business doesn't like this at all.

Southern Myanmar?! The proposed canal route would have nothing to do with Myanmar at all, nothing. Any trade that goes to Myanmar can just continue to be sent directly into Yangon or other ports as is the case now.

What would really benefit Myanmar (and Thailand) would be the Dawei deep sea port, which I hope will see some momentum after the financial difficulties of the main contractor, Italian-Thai caused the project to become stalled, for now.

I disagree. That project would be far more beneficial and more practical to build than the proposed Isthmus of Kra canal project, which I think is probably the dumbest and costliest idea ever.

First of all, Dawei is only 350km from Bangkok and by building the proposed 8-lane expressway with a design speed of 120km/h or perhaps 100km/h for trucks, the journey would take little more than 3.5 hours from the port, also assuming that by then with the advent of AEC, customs procedures would be minimal and efficient. Onward road transport to China (or alternatively via rail, if a railway is built) would also be realistic, either via the proposed Singapore to Kunming high speed rail link that travels past Bangkok to Vientiane and then onto Kunming, or via a separate Myanmar to Kunming line that has also been proposed.

Secondly, being at about the same latitude as Bangkok and therefore relatively close to the major population and industrial center of Thailand, Dawei would be perfectly positioned, geographically speaking, certainly much better than somewhere down near the Malaysian border, which is what, only a 12-hour drive from Bangkok along a road that is horribly bumpy at times, due to the weight of the trucks destroying the road, causing it to be re-patched numerous times? Also, what's wrong with building a port on Thailand's Andaman coast and then the supporting infrastructure, or perhaps there aren't any suitable locations? Note that I am not suggesting the latter, but merely making a suggestion that almost anything is better than the Isthmus of Kra canal project.

Thirdly, the economic benefits to Thailand and Myanmar would be vast. Myanmar gets improved infrastructure, new factories, new jobs and gets to be the envy of the region, if not the world with it's huge deep sea port. I do hope that project goes ahead.

Any one of these projects or project ideas is better than the Isthmus of Kra project but I like the Dawei one the most.

And sure, many ships could benefit from sailing through an Isthmus of Kra canal rather than going via the Strait of Malacca, but unlike the Suez and the Panama canals, the current distance that needs to be sailed bypassing Singapore first is rather insignificant compared to the huge distances that would need to be sailed from Saudi Arabia to Cyprus, if it weren't for the Suez canal, or from New Zealand to Europe, if it weren't for the Panama canal. Hence I don't see much of a good reason to build a canal in southern Thailand when a combination of a Myanmar deep sea port and supporting infrastructure to Thailand and China would do the trick (and probably be much faster too). For example, it would take like a week (or more) to travel by sea from the Gulf of Thailand end of an Isthmus of Kra canal just to Guangzhou, but by road or rail, if the improvements are made then it could be much less than this. Also, with more industry moving to western China due to lower costs focusing on Myanmar and building high speed rail links to SE Asia would make much more sense.

Please also read my opinion of June 13th at 20.55 or so, in favour of the Kra canal. Though you make some interesting points, and I do respect your opinion, we won't visibly be able to agree on this item. Allow me to add that, IMO, you speak a lot about Bangkok, which has its ports, still being developped, and which would be major 'victims' of Dawei, secondly, I was thinking about Thailand, not about Burma here, third, my vision goes about the advantages for ALL Asia (outside of Singapore, Malaysia and Burma), U.S.A., E.U., ..., not 'just' the central region, or Burma. It would IMHO be a HUGE advantage for Thailand by all means. Don't forget also Dawei would be a quite short lease too...

Southern Myanmar?! The proposed canal route would have nothing to do with Myanmar at all, nothing. Any trade that goes to Myanmar can just continue to be sent directly into Yangon or other ports as is the case now.

What would really benefit Myanmar (and Thailand) would be the Dawei deep sea port, which I hope will see some momentum after the financial difficulties of the main contractor, Italian-Thai caused the project to become stalled, for now.

Not wanting to be rude at all, but would you have a personal or business interest into the Dawei project, showing such a clear bias in its favour?

Not wanting to be rude at all, but would you have a personal or business interest into the Dawei project, showing such a clear bias in its favour?

The Thilawa project on the Yangon River has more potential. Dawei was Thaksin's baby. No Japanese investment apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thilawa_Port

http://www.hph.com/globalbusiness/business.aspx?gid=110

The Thilawa project on the Yangon River has more potential. Dawei was Thaksin's baby. No Japanese investment apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thilawa_Port

http://www.hph.com/globalbusiness/business.aspx?gid=110

Thilawa benefits Myannmar a lot more, Dawei is clearly more beneficial to Thailand. Goods from Thailand that are to be shipped west no longer need to go all the way around the Malay peninsula and instead can be shipped by train from anywhere in Thailand to Dawei.

normally I might disagree but when the argument is that it turns Thailand into an island..........then how can one really disagree?

Very easy

You might have many good reasons to oppose the isthmus, but this one is not one of them.

Firstly , it will not turn Thailand in to an island, It will turn part of Thailand in to an island.

Second, many parts of Thailand are islands, and they seem to do fine, How would this be different?

Please also read my opinion of June 13th at 20.55 or so, in favour of the Kra canal. Though you make some interesting points, and I do respect your opinion, we won't visibly be able to agree on this item. Allow me to add that, IMO, you speak a lot about Bangkok, which has its ports, still being developped, and which would be major 'victims' of Dawei, secondly, I was thinking about Thailand, not about Burma here, third, my vision goes about the advantages for ALL Asia (outside of Singapore, Malaysia and Burma), U.S.A., E.U., ..., not 'just' the central region, or Burma. It would IMHO be a HUGE advantage for Thailand by all means. Don't forget also Dawei would be a quite short lease too...

Nah, the Dawei lease issue is the most minor issue of all - it could easily be re-negotiated, extended or renewed, especially if Myanmar sees it as being of high economic importance and bringing in jobs and development. Consider the Golden Triangle SEZ located near Tonpheung, Bokeo province of Laos, directly opposite Thailand's Chiang Saen district, which is a Chinese investment on a 99 year lease. That's a lifetime long lease and by then surely the lease could be extended, if required.

I was also thinking about trade involving Africa, the EU etc. but I don't see how building a canal in southern Thailand would bring that many benefits. Most trade that would pass through there would involve mainland SE Asia or China as origin or destination, both of which can be transported to overland from Myanmar via Thailand using high-speed rail and/or improved road links such as expressways. Seamless customs procedures under AEC would also help. As for goods heading to South Korea/Japan, continuing to travel via Singapore wouldn't make a big difference compared to cutting through southern Thailand to build a canal.

Thailand signed a binding treaty with the UK (still valid), not to build the canal. This project is on the agenda for ages already.

A canal through the Kra Isthmus was suggested as early as 1677.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Canal

Yes, King Narai with his right hand "The Falcon" - a Greek, in a position that can be compared with the prime minister's job. King Narai was a wise man.

353px-Constantin_Phaulkon.jpg "Falcon"

http://diatribe-column.blogspot.com/2012/09/constance-falcon-ruler-of-siam.html

Edited by wealth

The canal takes one-two days off of all shipping going from the Indian Ocean to the Pacific. That's hundreds of millions of dollars of savings in the container shipping business every year.

Creating one of the worlds largest container ports in a Thailand will create 10,000s of jobs and several hundred million USD in private investment from container port operators.

The canal takes one-two days off of all shipping going from the Indian Ocean to the Pacific. That's hundreds of millions of dollars of savings in the container shipping business every year.

Creating one of the worlds largest container ports in a Thailand will create 10,000s of jobs and several hundred million USD in private investment from container port operators.

Yep. It will also cost a conservative 20 billion dollars to construct and take between ten and fifteen years to complete. Unfortunately there is a lot of high rocky ground to cut through.

On the plus side the Chinese will help build and fund it and it will piss off the Singaporeans.

• Like 1

Why would Prayuth give the go ahead at such short notice without a very careful and considered evaluation devoid of all self - interest, probably the main driving force for its construction up until this point.

these are the wrong arguments against it.

Thailand signed a binding treaty with the UK (still valid), not to build the canal. This project is on the agenda for ages already. China's proposal (if true) is the last in that chain.

It's not that they don't want it (indeed in overall it would be a benefit on a wider scale), but there would be far reaching consequences. For example, Singapore would be out of business in no time.

China has been ruthlessly exploiting Burma for decades now. They own nearly all the mining concessions, have de-nuded nearly all the hardwood forests, have created scores of border casinos, and they have ousted tens of thousands of farmers from their land, so Chinese big argo could take over their land. I could go on and on. So, why on earth would anyone expect something correct or noble from these monsters? Of course the Chinese want a canal. Of course they care little about the ramifications. Beware of the Chinese govt. They will stop at nothing to achieve their ends. Heinous does not even begin to describe these pigs. I am not referring to the Chinese people. Just the govt. of pigs.