Toyota or Isuzu Hilander Extended Cab

stament

Been mulling over the purchase of the Isuzu hi lander extended cab and not being a car/truck expert, I wondered what the pros and cons were of this vs the equivalent Toyota. Not interested in any other manufacturer just these two.

How do they compare on price, reliability, performance and resale value? Any Jeremy Clarksons out there who can offer any pearls of wisdom? This car would be used for the garden a little bit and just general road use.

To confirm this is for a NEW car not second-hand

Edited by stament

assuming new model, toyota is now the old dog on the block now that nissan has released their new one.

Isuzus are favorites of thais - farmers and the like lol. Lots of service points around - guess that's a good thing and hopefully not a case of cause and effect.

assuming new model, toyota is now the old dog on the block now that nissan has released their new one.

Isuzus are favorites of thais - farmers and the like lol. Lots of service points around - guess that's a good thing and hopefully not a case of cause and effect.

You must point out why you think a Toyota is a dog to the OP...........thumbsup.gif

I "may" respond............laugh.png

New yes, apologies I should have stated that. I've now amended the original post.

hey...I just bought a new Highlander...that must make me a farmer..."oh, it ain't gonna rain no more, no more...it ain't gonna rain no more...'

but seriously, I don't know much about them Toyotas but the Highlander is a real truck and drives like one...it's got leaf springs in the back ...but, I never intended to drive it much, it was the wife's idea...

I think transam can confirm toyota is number 1 in sales in th? Must be a reason if so.

Test drive both and pick the one you like more.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

hey...I just bought a new Highlander...that must make me a farmer..."oh, it ain't gonna rain no more, no more...it ain't gonna rain no more...'

but seriously, I don't know much about them Toyotas but the Highlander is a real truck and drives like one...it's got leaf springs in the back <deleted>...but, I never intended to drive it much, it was the wife's idea...

You are exactly right -- for a truck that you do not intend to drive much (or at all), Isuzu is a good choice.

The OP has already excluded from consideration the best (and second best) options for trucks in the Thai market today. Unless you own a farm in Issan, Toyota is far and away the best of the two trucks. And even if you own a farm in Issan, you are probably better off with a Toyota, but it is a close (closer) call.

Edited by Thailaw

but seriously, I don't know much about them Toyotas but the Highlander is a real truck and drives like one...it's got leaf springs in the back <deleted>...but, I never intended to drive it much, it was the wife's idea...

You are exactly right -- for a truck that you do not intend to drive much (or at all), Isuzu is a good choice.

The OP has already excluded from consideration the best (and second best) options for trucks in the Thai market today. Unless you own a farm in Issan, Toyota is far and away the best of the two trucks. And even if you own a farm in Issan, you are probably better off with a Toyota, but it is a close (closer) call.

What do you recommend then? Perhaps I've been too narrow in my choices. This truck will be in Chiang Mai province not Issan although I don't see why the location should matter as the decision on a car and the location are totally separate issues.

My two cents...I've got a 6-year-old Toyota Vigo G that I bought new. It's the 4-door with the 2.5 liter diesel. Just short of 100k on the clock, still on original (and very legal) tires and brakes - maybe because I use the gears to slow down. It goes like a bat out of hell when I ask it to, but the box can be chock-a-block full of bricks with no problem. So, from my experience, I'd highly recommend the Toyota.

As I recall, the Isuzu is just a rebranded Chevy, made in Malaysia...but I could be wrong about that.

• Like 1

for what it's worth I had an Isuzu Panther diesel in Indonesia 20 years ago and it was indestructible (leaf springs also on bad roads) so I had a favorable view of the brand from before and I knew they were cheaper than Toyota...

I've had Toyotas to drive but on good roads and in more developed countries than Thailand...the Isuzu seems to better suit SE Asian conditions (underdevelopment is sorta like leaf springs...low tech...)

I have a 5 year old Isuzu Cab 4 with 177,000 km. Still got 2 original tires. The other 2, I popped the side walls. I am wondering if these tires will ever wear out but the heavier Toyotas use the same tire. Runs like a top. Had a couple of problems but all were covered under warranty. Everything still works.

Did a lot of runs from Isan to BKK and Krabi. That accounts for the high km.

Edited by Gonsalviz

My two cents...I've got a 6-year-old Toyota Vigo G that I bought new. It's the 4-door with the 2.5 liter diesel. Just short of 100k on the clock, still on original (and very legal) tires and brakes - maybe because I use the gears to slow down. It goes like a bat out of hell when I ask it to, but the box can be chock-a-block full of bricks with no problem. So, from my experience, I'd highly recommend the Toyota.

As I recall, the Isuzu is just a rebranded Chevy, made in Malaysia...but I could be wrong about that.

Yes, you are wrong about that.

Both are equally good pick ups. 2 points to consider from my point of view:

1) you may get a bigger discount/promotion items and better deal from Toyota at the moment since they are pushing Sales aggressively at the moment.

2) Toyota may bring out a new design at the end of next year for their pick up.

but seriously, I don't know much about them Toyotas but the Highlander is a real truck and drives like one...it's got leaf springs in the back ...but, I never intended to drive it much, it was the wife's idea...

I think transam can confirm toyota is number 1 in sales in th? Must be a reason if so.

Test drive both and pick the one you like more.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, both good. So agree, do a testdrive and see which one you prefer. This really is just a personal choice. I prefer the Isuzu over Toyota, and like the looks of the BT50 over the Ranger. All personal.

6 year old tyres ?

Up to you but I certainly would not risk the safety of myself or family rolling on them as they are past their used by date.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 2

What do you recommend then? Perhaps I've been too narrow in my choices. This truck will be in Chiang Mai province not Issan although I don't see why the location should matter as the decision on a car and the location are totally separate issues.

I happened to read an article "A Car Dealers Guide to the 10 Least Reliable Used Cars" a few days ago (10 June 2014) in Motoramic, which to my surprise included Isuzu:

"But for right now, we would like to offer you a brief synopsis of the ten worst brands when it comes to overall long-term reliability. … There are a lot of surprises out there:

……………

8. Isuzu: Joe Isuzu may have been a great spokesperson for the now orphaned brand. Every single Isuzu model in our study has exhibited severe long-term transmission issues. Models equipped with the 3.2-liter engine also suffer from a near knocking engine sound that detracts from the ownership experience.

……………"

Note that Toyota did not make the list -- no surprise there. The data for the article came from the US, but the conclusions probably have reasonable relation to vehicles sold in Thailand.

You really can't go wrong with Toyota -- in the top 1 or 2 in almost every category that counts, and excellent resale value if you maintain it well. As noted, there is a new Vigo model coming in the next 12 or so months, so that will cause the existing model to drop at least 10% in resale value when the new model comes out. Isuzu is just too "industrial" for my liking, but the new models are quite an improvement over the older models. Even the new Moo - X looks pretty good if you have a family of 11 and transport them all regularly.

IMO, the best truck sold in Thailand at the moment is Mazda (which also made the Motoramic list, but for vehicles sold more than 5+ years ago). This excludes the new Nissan, which just came out and I have no information on it except what I have read here. The "best value" truck is the Mitsu Triton -- the number of new Tritons and Pajeros on the roads in Thailand tells quite a story about which car company offers the most truck/suv for the money. I bought a new Triton last month and I am very happy with it.

The farm in Issan was just a joke -- sorry if I confused you...whistling.gif

Edited by Thailaw

My 2007 Vigo 4x4 auto still drives like new, no rattles, knocks, doors still clip shut with a whisper. To me that is a good advertisement. thumbsup.gif

I know it has only done 80,000km but that in itself shows it is used for short hops dailly where doors, starter etc are used a lot. smile.png

Not seen anyone mention anything on warranties or maintenance costs manufacturer vs manufacturer. I saw a couple of people said Toyota hold their value well - how well do other manufacturers hold their value in comparison?

Looking at second-hand, my first thought is that they all hold their values well !

If you get the Toyota, make sure that they have your correct address ..for the recall

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, cos other rides might not fix things.............laugh.png

If you get the Toyota, make sure that they have your correct address ..for the recall

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, cos other rides might not fix things.............laugh.png

Trans ... I put that 'throw-a-way' comment in especially for you ... I have a V-Cross, no complaints ... No idea which is preferable ... enjoy the rest of the day lol

i have both the vigo is 2 years old and dmax 2 months old .i personally prefer the vigo seem better geared and faster ,

but both nice to drive ,d max way better fuel economy for sure

OK I will take a punt, the Toyota has the 2.7 petrol lump and the D Max has the oil burner. Yep no contest.rolleyes.gif

does the Vigo not do a diesel option then?

All of the major brand trucks have a diesel option. The poster was simply saying that if poster's Isuzu gets better gas mileage than his Toyota, the poster is probably comparing apples (petrol) with oranges (diesel). I would expect the fuel economy of the two trucks (both with the same cc diesel) to be very close, but it is worth checking from an independent source.

If you don't know that diesel options are available for all trucks, you are probably not ready to choose among them. And how you narrowed your choices down to the Isuzu and Totoyta with no knowledge of what is available on the Toyota with something as basic (and important) at diesel vs. petrol engines is beyond me. There is also a CNG option on most of the major brand trucks, but i am not sure if all of the major brands offer it. You can get all the information on available manufacturer options on the respective manufacturer web sites, right from the comfort of your cave.

Edited by Thailaw

i have both the vigo is 2 years old and dmax 2 months old .i personally prefer the vigo seem better geared and faster ,

but both nice to drive ,d max way better fuel economy for sure

OK I will take a punt, the Toyota has the 2.7 petrol lump and the D Max has the oil burner. Yep no contest.rolleyes.gif

Your punt has sunk ... here http://www.toyota.co.th/en/product-detail.php?model=vigo_double_cab&opt=spec play around on this site for all specs/prices/options

I think that you will fine 'like for like' that the New D-Max is more frugal than the Toyota.

Any petrol truck engine can be gassed and some offer CNG as standard.

If you search you will also find the Isuzu site.

Your punt has sunk ... here http://www.toyota.co.th/en/product-detail.php?model=vigo_double_cab&opt=spec play around on this site for all specs/prices/options

I think that you will fine 'like for like' that the New D-Max is more frugal than the Toyota.

You can also gas the diesel engines.

You can also gas the diesel engines.

Yes, you are quite correct, you can and I have seen it done. It's called something like 'dual fuelling' I think the guy told me around 10% LPG is injected in with the diesel (via the air side). There is some saving on total fuel costs (10%-15%). From what I recall it changes the torque band, pushes it higher up. I might be incorrect with 10% injection and could have confused it with the percentage decrease in fuel costs that he mentioned. It's a few years ago now that I met the guy, I do remember that he fitted the LPG Tanks under the running board and protected them. It was some sort of big Jeep or similar.

It might have been in Aussie Land in 2008 ... sorry my mind has failed me on more detail.

The guy told me that he wouldn't do it again! If you have a diesel pickup and want to gas it ... fit a petrol engine.

Converting a diesel engine to run solely on LPG means basically turning it into a petrol engine. Fitting spark plugs and lowering the compression ratio etc etc

Edited by JAS21