Thailand's NBTC to impose new system to register prepaid SIM cards

webfact

More draconian measures, more rules, more regulations, and they do with all that information?

nothing, nada, lip service from the bureaucrats, hey look at us, we 're working here....

Registering your ID and new SIM is common practice in most countries. You want a SIM card, you register name and address, show your ID or passport. Easy done. Thailand is just catching up with the rest of the world.

There are also security aspects to this, I'm sure, where stolen SIM cards are used for remote control of things that go bang.

agree. standard practice anywhere in Europe and has been for years.

it's a good idea and about time they do it here. if you are not a criminal why would you care? got something to hide?

Absolute nonsense.. I was recently in the UK and got sims for my self and my missus without any registration involved at all..

And in case its escaped your notice, we now live in a country where having an opinion is a crime, were speaking you mind is a crime, where tearing up a movie ticket or holding 3 fingers in the air is a crime.. A crime seems to be 'anything the junta says it is' !!

So yes.. Possibly any one of us can be called a criminal simply for saying something.,

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More draconian measures, more rules, more regulations, and they do with all that information?

nothing, nada, lip service from the bureaucrats, hey look at us, we 're working here....

Registering your ID and new SIM is common practice in most countries. You want a SIM card, you register name and address, show your ID or passport. Easy done. Thailand is just catching up with the rest of the world.

There are also security aspects to this, I'm sure, where stolen SIM cards are used for remote control of things that go bang.

it's a good idea and about time they do it here. if you are not a criminal why would you care? got something to hide?

Absolute nonsense.. I was recently in the UK and got sims for my self and my missus without any registration involved at all..

And in case its escaped your notice, we now live in a country where having an opinion is a crime, were speaking you mind is a crime, where tearing up a movie ticket or holding 3 fingers in the air is a crime.. A crime seems to be 'anything the junta says it is' !!

So yes.. Possibly any one of us can be called a criminal simply for saying something.,

Yes it's absolute nonsense. I own sim cards from Denmark and Sweden. None of my simcards are registred with Any ID. My sister lives in UK with her family. They are five persons and none of their simcards have any ID registration

Everyone will have to do this eventually (they may introduce an easier option without having to have shopkeepers messing around with people's phones). They will just phase out the old ones.

Would these measures have happened if there was no coup?

Absolutely correct.

On the other hand, it would be extremely unpleasant for one to live in a country where one does not trust the authorities or the people there and to live perpetually in suspicion and mistrust.

Should they not move on? Life is short, why not enjoy?

In what country on planet earth is your privacy not a crucial asset to protect? Give me access to everything you do on your phone, every search, every call, every text, and I guarantee I can harvest you. Understand that’s what this is all about; they want the information because it gives them the ability to control and harvest. Respect and protect your privacy or you could pay a dear price.

Your privacy is always a crucial asset to protect - I agree 100%

Why is this big issue about registering of SIM cards?

In other places although they dish out SIM's like candy to kids, your privacy is intruded without your knowledge!

Even Head of States phones are tapped!

Never heard about it???

blink.png

Edit:

Whether the hen lays a brown or a white egg - there is always a good justifieble reason to whine.

Edited by ravip

They tried this the better part of 10 years ago. As far as I can remember it was something to do with using anonymous sims in remote bomb detination, so it could have been just in the south. Had to fill out a form. Said that if we didn't register the number it would be turned off... a few months later it seemed like everything was back to normal.

Really, a photo of the person and / or ID and sim is probably a good idea. Easy to do a probably easy to retrieve the reference later. It wouldn't matter if it was verified or not. If it was verified it would help with locating people but then if you are going to do criminal acts why would you register it in your name!? You may create a black market for sim cards for people that still want anonymity, for whatever reason.