Importing machinery

Has anyone here got any experience importing small pieces of equipment (100-150 kg)? Probably through Alibaba. I'm wondering about how to deal with customs and getting delivery to my house.

having looked into similar transactions with ALIBABA / EXPRESS items in this weight category will be sent via carriers like dhl etc

so these carriers will give their charges plus an estimated cost of customs / import /vat which will be added to the final invoice from ALLI

when you agree with all the figures and pay the items will be shipped

i have heard of on arrival some goods have been held in bond at an extra cost until further unexpected fees have been applied and paid for

The harvester that I imported from the US was over 10000 kilos. It was disassembled containerized and packed into a 40 ft container. I hired a customs broker in Bangkok and had it shipped and consigned to him. It was properly HS classified and I paid 5% duty and 7% VAT and the container was delivered to my site in Nakhon Sawan Province 5 days after the ship arrived. There were no delays or added payments required, only than the normal customs inspection fees and port and delivery charges. Any small units that I purchased in the US I had shipped USPS, as DHL and Fed Ex are expensive and people always seem to have customs problems, but these were small and nothing over 20 kilos.

PM me and I will send you the contact details of my broker in Bangkok and you can ask him direct what he suggests. There's a thread running in the Farming Forum entitled "importing farm equipment" with pictures of what I purchased.

I followed that topic and figured you had a broker. I'm just trying to locate and buy a chicken plucker that may go 100-150 kg depending on if the motor comes with it. I have found a possible source in Thailand and I am still trying to sell the missus on it and she can be more difficult than customs:) I'll PM about the broker.

i imported a drum filter out of china , no problems , used a thai broker all went according to plan , that unit weighed about 200kg from memory ...if u get stuck pm me i will locate the broker ...

I want to thank everyone for their help. I will be home in 10 days (forever) and hope to buy chicken plucker in the next few months.. I have found one company in Thailand and will try to find more, but it is good to know that importing is doable as the prices out of china look to be significantly lower. If I can find a reasonably priced machine in Thailand, that would be preferable, but I have been researching for some time. I guess I should go ahead and just ask now if anyone knows where I could get one? I have considered building one and that may yet happen.

Thanks