Scammers targeting Australian dating sites

webfact

Scammers targeting Australian dating sites

AUSTRALIA: -- International fraudsters are increasingly targeting those seeking love, taking over 25 million Australian dollars (23.5 million US dollars) from Australian victims last year, figures released Monday showed.

Dating and romance-related fraud rose 8% in 2013 compared to the previous year, according to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) in its annual report on scams and frauds, dpa informs.

The average loss by the lovelorn to scammers promising love was 19,000 US dollars, more than three times higher than other types of scams. The ACCC said 43% of people who reported being approached by a fake admirer said they lost money.

Dating and romance scams also caused emotional harm to victims as the fraudsters invested time and effort getting to know their victims, said ACCC deputy chairman Delia Rickard.

Full story: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_06_16/Scammers-targeting-Australian-dating-sites-5995/

vor.jpg
-- Voice of Russia 2014-06-16

Is this news meant for some of the Thai ladies who engage in this? Like "Hey, look over there! There's money to be made!". I would assume they already know that, however. Pity they don't use their skills in areas like international banking. Probably saddled with some residual morals.

What kind of dumb butt gives money to someone they don't know off a dating site? Coll to date that way I suppose, but other than a nice dinner and a movie . . . What the heck are people opening their pocketbook for to the tune of $ 19,000 for on people that don't know.

• Like 1

no lack of nigerian like messages received on thaifriendly either. typically they use someone elses pic but the way they write is usually a giveaway

Yes very easy once you know them. They often use abstract or flowery words that Thai's never would.

Often they're Christian. Or have old fashioned farang names that must be popular in Nigeria.

What kind of dumb butt gives money to someone they don't know off a dating site? Coll to date that way I suppose, but other than a nice dinner and a movie . . . What the heck are people opening their pocketbook for to the tune of $ 19,000 for on people that don't know.

A hell of a lot. Western Union actually carry a warning on their website warning people of such scams and reminding them they can't get the money back once sent. Many Americans get caught by Filipina's.

I had to research into this for a paper on internet fraud. This is just one aspect of course. I kept a record of the stories one young lady came out with to try and get money. It was like pooling all the disasters of 12 months soap operas and piling them onto one family. Unbelievable, but because I was looking for it. She was careful to build the relationship, say the right things, build the stories slowly. They are not fools at this and have many contacts on the go at any one time. It's just like any other kind of pressure selling of false products and scams.

I've seen many a clever professional, well educated man (not always old either!) be caught by a bar girl in Thailand and elsewhere.

It's not pleasant seeing the damage they can and often do. The people who fall for these scams are victims and don't deserve the scorn of people who think they know better. I used to think the old saying " a fool and his money................." now I know they are being exploited by very clever ruthless people.

• Like 1

Maybe the people who fall for these dating site scams are good honest (gullible) people trying to help. But those who fall for the Nigerian government/bank/inheritance scams are stupid and greedy and deserve what they get.

• 3 weeks later...

the dating sites are awash with scammers and fraudsters as they operate with impunity in the USA .they use fake profiles using nude models ,stooges sending out emails to entice gullible blokes to give their CC details and then get cleaned out. fling.com offers a money back guarantee if you dont get laid but how would you prove it and get your money back ??

its time the FBI took on these scam dating sites