Cambodian envoy to be briefed of Thailand’s policy on foreign workers

Lite Beer

Cambodian envoy to be briefed of Thailand’s policy on foreign workers

sihasak-wpcf_728x4131.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Cambodian ambassador to “Thailand will be invited to the Thai Foreign Ministry on Tuesday to get a briefing on the policy of the National Council for Peace and Order on foreign migrant workers and to be officially informed that the junta has no policy to persecute or crack down on these workers.

Foreign permanent secretary Sihasak Puangkatekaew today (Monday) categorically denied as totally baseless foreign reports that the Thai military has launched a crackdown on foreign migrant workers.

Rumours of a military crackdown which have spread wildly among Cambodian communities in Thailand have prompted a mass exodus of the Cambodians, both legal and illegal migrants, to leave for home in Cambodia since last week. Several tens of thousands have poured across the border at Aranyaprathet-Poipet border point.

Mr Sihasak explained that what has been going on now is that the Thai side has wanted to properly regulate foreign migrant workers by having all of them registered so that they will be better protected by the Thai law against exploitation or unfair treatment by their employers or employment agencies or human trafficking gangs.

He insisted that the Thai side has attached importance to cooperating with her neighbouring countries to regulate foreign migrant workers.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cambodian-envoy-briefed-thailands-policy-foreign-workers/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=cambodian-envoy-briefed-thailands-policy-foreign-workers

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-16

witnessed police rounding up 2 cambodian servants and 1 vietnamese in a restaurant, the vietnamese had some money on her and bought her way out, the cambodians arrested by the police. Tell them to trust Thai authorities?

Where was that?

The Junta are not doing this, but the police are (if actually true) .... and we all know a hell of a lot of the police are red shirted Thaksin servants, and I suppose this is going to wind up the situation in an underhanded way to involve Cambodia, and I wonder who can be setting all this up?

A certain man in Dubai perchance?

If the police are creating this image for the benefit of undermining the Junta and the stability of Thailand, then it is about time they replaced the lot of them.

I suppose the Junta cleaning out all the corruption isn't going to sit well with the police, as they thrive on it.

To all you suckered Cambodians.... goodbye... plenty of Burmese willing to fill your job vacancy.

Edited by thumper101

witnessed police rounding up 2 cambodian servants and 1 vietnamese in a restaurant, the vietnamese had some money on her and bought her way out, the cambodians arrested by the police. Tell them to trust Thai authorities?

Where was that?

The Junta are not doing this, but the police are (if actually true) .... and we all know a hell of a lot of the police are red shirted Thaksin servants, and I suppose this is going to wind up the situation in an underhanded way to involve Cambodia, and I wonder who can be setting all this up?

If the police are creating this image for the benefit of undermining the Junta and the stability of Thailand, then it is about time they replaced the lot of them.

I suppose the Junta cleaning out all the corruption isn't going to sit well with the police, as they thrive on it.

To all you suckered Cambodians.... goodbye... plenty of Burmese willing to fill your job vacancy.

Agreed - the Junta are amazing so far. They warrant support. It is so easy to criticize.

Where was that?

I agree, I smell a Thaksin rat and his money involved in this, there is no other logical explanation - this man and his stolen billions will stop at nothing to cause problems = so the building trade stops for a few weeks - give them a holiday financed by Thaksin - they will be back just as fast once they get their payments

The rat can't buy the Thai people any more so he is trying to buy Cambodia

It is nothing to do with RTP other than adhere to instructions from their now boss, the Thai military. It was a Thai military spokeswoman who announced the intent to arrest and deport the illegal workers some days ago. The Junta has now denied / done a U turn on the policy

From now on any illegal migrant workers found in Thailand "will be arrested and deported", Thai army spokeswoman, Sirichan Ngathong said. "We see illegal workers as a threat because there were a lot of them and no clear measures to handle them, which could lead to social problems," she said.

http://time.com/2880285/thai-coup-cambodian-migrants-flee-junta/

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

It's not only Cambodians. The Police/Army visited a business near me (Nakhon Sawan Province), a stone quarry, that has employed illegal immigrants from Myanmar for years. There are 7 families that live in tin huts there. Over the years the owner has paid "tea money to have them look the other way, but this year they gave him 1 month to get all of the paperwork in order or they will arrest and deport the families and arrest and fine or jail him. He's in a real bind since there is no way that he will get Thai's to do the backbreaking labor, and, even if he does, he will have to hire 2-3 times the number of workers to get the same output. My wife tells me that they are approaching all of the business employing illegals in the same manner.

I wonder what will happen to the three English teachers at the local school that are working for an agency and keep getting the runaround from them, the agency, about work permits. They are currently all on tourist visas and if it's like past years they will never get the proper documentation.

They have "no official policy on illegal migrant workers." OK, so there it is. Thailand has no offical policy on illegal migrant workers. So that must mean that anyone can go to THailand and stay and be a migrant worker. There is "no offical Thai policy."

the evil seed of malitious jelousy wrapped in revenge..the ones who would rather see thailand fail, than walk away with thier tails between thier legs...classic narssasist behaviour...

Starting to wonder if the reds are trying to stir up anti Thailand sentiment amongst the folks in Thailand so the Cambodians will allow them to start a government in exile there that will 'benefit' the Cambodians the same as PT 'benefitted' the farmers here....Just a theory...

The official policy is that there is an enormous amount of illegal workers in the country.

When the vast majority are illegal, what else could the policy be?

Thus, eventually this was going to happen. At least the system can be cleaned up, and hopefully these people will come back with proper papers eventually.