TAT to invite foreign journalists to boost Thai tourism

webfact

How did that photo make it into the paper?

I was wonder that as well....".I am a c*nt" emblazoned all over a front page, this article is from an "English" language journalist are they really that clueless ?

I think it was deliberate, the people who run Khao Sod English seem to enjoy being a little provocative. It *is* a tabloid, after all.

I was wonder that as well....".I am a c*nt" emblazoned all over a front page, this article is from an "English" language journalist are they really that clueless ?

I think it was deliberate, the people who run Khao Sod English seem to enjoy being a little provocative. It *is* a tabloid, after all.

I disagree IMHO they are clueless as to what a "c*nt" really is......to me its a bit like the Nazi thing...not really understanding the implication of what they said or did

This has been done before , rehashing old ground, with a worn out story.

Indeed. I object only to the headline, since no "journalists" will be or have ever been invited on these dog-and-pony-show freebie junkets. A few will be travel writers and almost all will be paid shills, PR people, freelancers for travel brochures like airline magazines, and the like of that. All of those treated will have no interest in any objectivity or journalism at all, but will write, photograph or merely scarf up the freebies to promote tourism - Thai and in general. Number of jet ski stories: 0. Number of armed soldiers at 7-11 stories: 0. And so on.

I disagree IMHO they are clueless as to what a "c*nt" really is......to me its a bit like the Nazi thing...not really understanding the implication of what they said or did

In part I agree with you as it is not a word I like or use (c*nt). The Nazi thing is in another league in my opinion. However it is brilliant PR. It will be the focus of the conversation, it will incite anger and laughter and people will remember mostly the word. But I doubt many people who attend the FM party are offended. In fact I suspect if you were to actually go you would see much worse. I have never been to one, I love a good party, but having been to some similar (although probably nowhere near as bad) in Mexicio, Jamaica and others I have no desire to participate. I do encourage others to though. For a young party goer it is just one of those things one has to do. Much like Vang Vieng was in Laos.....and other such parties around the world.

It is a rite of passage for some. So if the word c*nt gets your dandruff up......you may be far past the FM party stage and perhaps onto the Depends stage.

As for TAT what would you have them say......"Stay away, your life is in danger" or how about "Don't come to Thailand, nobody likes it anymore".....of course they are going to keep on going with the positive spin....their job is to put bums in seats. Period. Back in my other home country (canada) and speaking with people in both the business world and personal most of them have little to no knowledge of all the "failings" of Thailand. They know beaches, good food, Chiang Mai, elephants, long neck people, and Bangkok. Why. Because people like TAT and other tour promoters use the positive spin to fill seats on planes.

And there is an endless supply of travelers just waiting to experience Thailand for the first time. Have heard this sort of talk about Mexico, Hawaii, Turkey, Cyprus, any number of Islands in the Caribbean and guess what.....they still attract tourists. As will Thailand.

Tourists who want to come to Thailand will come they all know the score plenty hookers to go around girls and boys and plenty places to party also lots of temples to visit during the day, big press notices and glitzy advertising won’t make people want to come to Thailand, the things that make big news abroad regarding Thailand are the bad news story’s tourist rapes, scams murders these are the big Thailand news story’s.

That photo!!!cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

I have honestly been chuckling to myself all afternoon. More seriously though. I would have thought the way the foreign media have been misreporting the events that have happened here over the last 7 or so months. The very last thing TAT needs is more journos doing the same.

The Chinese tourists make their travel plans MONTHS in advance. Reason is that their holidays are fixed. Right now they are making their National Day holiday plans (Oct 1)...and they are going to Korea and Japan in droves.

TAT will have to adjust the Chinese numbers soon. Oh well, there's always a price to pay.

Come to think of it, do Thais understand the concept "you can't have everything"? ie. political unrest, random killings and military coup, PLUS increasing tourist numbers?

I'm amazed that admin in the form of Webfact actually used this picture because of the words and wording used as previously highlighted by other members. If ANY TV member used the aforementioned in a post they would be unceremoniously removed from TV.

Having said that, it would be ' amazing ( Thailand ) ' that the tourist board would possibly use this picture to lure tourists. Maybe the Chinese, Japanese tourists etc wouldn't have a clue to the meaning of the word but every westerner would but of course in this article, they are not the ones being canvassed. What would be the attraction of a FM party if this is what you are confronted with ? Not a lot in my opinion -- I'd rather see a picture of soi Yodsack in Pattaya which usually gets condemned. Horses for courses I guess.....Amazing Thailand indeed.

The photo seems to present most of what is bad about trashy services being provided to trashy tourists. The only thing missing is half dressed girls.

I suppose the intent was to prove that the curfew has indeed been lifted, by taking a picture of a full moon party, but really, was that the best picture they could take?

Putting aside the photo, why on arth do tourist service providers need to have signage full of crude foul language?

I suppose I just haven't sunk low enough to understand the concepts involved, or too boring an old fart.

Seriously, TAT ld think carefully before promoting full moon parties a a Thai attraction.

They probably know what it means but are unaware that the word is considered verboten by many and isn't simply a mild expletive. In Australia people seem to use it all the time, but in certain parts of the UK it's considered fighting talk only.

Of course in exchange for a free visit, all foreign journalists must agree to submit their writings for censorship. After all, we can't have them writing anything negative, divisive or in any other way, truthful.

The TAT director remains optimistic that Thai tourism will be back on track before the end of the year.

"Right now we have seen good signs for Thai tourism, because the curfew has been lifted, and the head of the NCPO will visit China," said Mr. Thawatchai, referring to Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha, head of the ruling National Council for Peace and Order. "I believe his visit will boost confidence for Chinese tourists, who are the main target group."

He said there is no plan to decrease the goal of tourist numbers and tourism revenue for this year, despite the political tumult. TAT previously projected that 25.9 million tourists would visit Thailand this year, with the expected revenue of 1.23 trillion baht.

"After curfew was lifted, foreign tourists from Australia, China, Hong Kong are booking hotels in Phuket and Hua Hin in droves," Mr. Thawatchai claimed. "I believe the number of tourists will approach close to our target by third and fourth quarter."

"It's obvious that foreign tourists have stopped worrying and are coming to Thailand," he added.

What can one say about this? If I decrease the number of expected arrivals, I will look bad, and I will be under pressure. So, I prefer to live in an alternate universe, and make crap up as I go along. And what exactly constitutes a drove? Comparable numbers as before the coup? Of course, the reality is that it is probably safer here than it was prior to the coup. But, everyone I speak with overseas says the same thing. They are all scared to visit. Do they feel differently now that the curfew has been lifted. I doubt if their fears have been laid to rest. As usual, the authorities have done a poor job of spreading the word, around the world.