Schooling CM

GreenDZ

Does anyone have any recommendations for schooling in CM for a five year old ,she speaks Thai and English but would like an international school which has a good standard and not too expensive .

Thanks

American Pacific

Lanna International

Chiang Mai International

Grace International

Prem

are your main international schools

Varee has a program too I believe, I do not know if it is accredited.

The only Bilingual school that hires certified teachers with BSED/MSED is Panyaden

Many English Programs and Bilingual programs. Most are 95% Thai students only with a few half Thai students. These schools hire foreign teachers with a BS/BS in something + TEFL cert

Their websites give you the info of the per term cost, not going to bother asking what you think affordable. I am unsure if I can link directly, so you will have to google them yourself.

Edited by BlackArtemis

Maybe you should also take a look at Tonkla School in Sansai. It is an alternative, child centered Thai school with a strong focus on teaching English. English classes every day and additional afternoon activities with English language teaching, all by native speakers. School campus and staff are friendly and our two five year old girls are very happy there. The school is a good alternative if budget limitations don't allow to choose an International School or if you don't really want an international school for any other reason. School homepage is here: http://www.tonkla.ac.th/ and on Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tonkla-School-Chiangmai/182612181764234

Edited by John The Other

Varee's International Programme is the official Cambridge IGSE course and although it only starts for pupils aged 12, their English Programme has proved a successful and happy experience for my stepson who started there when he was seven and has now moved into Mattayom at 13.

Lanna International (LIST)

Chiang Mai International (CMIS)

Varee Chiangmai School (VCS)

Nakornpayap International School (NIS)

All about the same cost (not much change from 200k per year) and you should visit all of them to see the location, facilities and talk to some of the staff and, if possible, students and parents.

Grace International School - Strong on religion so not everyone's cup of tea.

American Pacific - Way out of town but lovely location. More expensive

Prem (PTIS) - Way out of town and very expensive. Follows the International Baccalaureate curriculum.

Varee's International Programme is the official Cambridge IGSE course and although it only starts for pupils aged 12, their English Programme has proved a successful and happy experience for my stepson who started there when he was seven and has now moved into Mattayom at 13.

Lanna International (LIST)

Chiang Mai International (CMIS)

Varee Chiangmai School (VCS)

Nakornpayap International School (NIS)

All about the same cost (not much change from 200k per year) and you should visit all of them to see the location, facilities and talk to some of the staff and, if possible, students and parents.

Grace International School - Strong on religion so not everyone's cup of tea.

American Pacific - Way out of town but lovely location. More expensive

Prem (PTIS) - Way out of town and very expensive. Follows the International Baccalaureate curriculum.

American Pacfic's Kindergarten is in town, over near Grace I believe, the P1-M6 is out in Samoeng

Panyaden is a mix of the Thai Curriculum and IPC, International Primary Curriculum. They are half the cost of others and they staff teachers with education degrees. It is Buddhist and Buddhist values are built into the curriculum.

You're right, APIS Kindergarten is in World Club Land, on the left just before Grace. Incidentally, the cost I mentioned for the schools in my last post was for a mid level student - you'd get good pocketful of change back for a 5 year old!

Nakornpayap International School is within the city, not affiliated with a religion and accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. www.nis.ac.th

You might also want to consider their sister school, on the same complex, NAPA, if you want to keep up the Thai, as they are a bi-lingual school. NAPA has recently extended through elementary, up to G6.

I am a certified teacher

Be very careful with the bilingual schools

I have worked at two in Chiang Mai and they were shocking

At both of the schools I was forced to teach out of book which was way too advanced for the learners

The teachers at the schools were all good and well educated but had no say in how the lessons were delivered... that was dictated by the Thai teachers

Some bilingual schools may be ok but I would shop around and look into how the lessons are delivered. Have a talk with a NES teacher at the school before sending your kids there

A well educated and experienced teacher with a BA in anything and a TEFL can teach maths, english, science, social etc... grade 1-6 no problem.

I would only start looking into the quals of the teachers when the learners get to grade 7

All the international schools in Chiang Mai are good!

I have taught at two and met many of the teachers

We have already ruled out PREM because of the fees

So... I would go for APIS, Lanna, NIS or CMIS

Have a nice day

I have seen all the international schools and worked at a couple, they are all good schools

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Cross Prem off your list if you're focused on budget. Varee is supposed to be ok and they have an 'international' program.

Varee is worth a look, my Thai granddaughter has been there in the English program from P1, now just started P4.

Family very happy overall, fees not too bad.

It's worth calling the school (see website - Varee Chiang Mai School) and asking to speak to Ajarn (teacher) Dani. She is Thai, well educated and qualified, & experienced in solid schools in the UK, speaks very advanced English, good listener.

Ask to visit the school, she will meet you and she talks about education and knows what she's talking about.

She also teaches so you may have to wait a day or so to be able to meet her, but worth a small wait.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

Maybe you should also take a look at Tonkla School in Sansai. It is an alternative, child centered Thai school with a strong focus on teaching English. English classes every day and additional afternoon activities with English language teaching, all by native speakers. School campus and staff are friendly and our two five year old girls are very happy there. The school is a good alternative if budget limitations don't allow to choose an International School or if you don't really want an international school for any other reason. School homepage is here: http://www.tonkla.ac.th/ and on Facebook here: http://www.facebook....182612181764234