Thai Police reform to be finalized within this year

webfact

Police reform to be finalized within this year

6-16-2014-8-08-11-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Acting commissioner of the Royal Thai Police Pol Gen Watcharapon Prasarnrachakit indicated Monday that the reform of the Royal Thai Police is expected to be finalized before he retires this year.

Pol Gen Watcharapon who is due to retire end of September this year when he turns 60 years old said that the reform of the Royal Thai Police now is still at the first stage, that is to listen and gather all views from the police themselves.

He said senior police officers of commissioner ranks from all commands were invited Monday to hear explanation on the structural reform of the Royal Thai Police and they were allowed to voice their opinions and give advice.

After gathering all views and advices, a conclusion would be reached and entered second stage which involves majorly of amending relevant laws and regulations.

He voiced confidence the reform could be finalized and proposed for implementation before he retires this year saying he has been working on the reform for some time.

Earlier he divulged that the Royal Thai Police would be turned into the Ministry of Home Security with 17 departments under command. The Royal Thai Police commissioner will become the permanent secretary of the ministry and the power will be decentralized to create public confidence in the image of the police.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-reform-finalized-within-year/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-17

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When finished reorganising the RTP it still will need continuous monitoring on all levels. Both street coppers and high ranking officers need to be kept sharp and corruption free. A nearly impossible task. But so far the improvements are big.

What about the wheelclamps in BKK? Still putting 2500 per day? Or are they shelved again? Would like to read some follow-up.

As always plans are great, on paper.

Let's see how much effort goes into implementation but a change of culture honed over a couple of lifetimes isn't gong to be easy or made easy for those who actually try.

• Like 2

Just do a sweep of all the bank accounts of the 3 highest rank officers from each station by the a NACC special branch, and also allow police officers to make anonymous reports against corrupt superiors. Then lock the lot of them up and sieze their assets.

Strip them of their job and everything and kick them out on the street after 6 months hard labour.

That'll clean it up.

BTW.... Where the hell has Chalerm and his sons got to?.... Not a dicky bird about him since they were detained and they certainly have not been released so far as I can tell.

The military must have something rather big on him/them.He may well be 'singing like a canary' .... Certainly would be the best person to put the screws on if the military want to take out Thaksin, and I have a feeling Thaksin's departure from his mortal coil will be quite high up on the agenda.

I suspect we might see the Akeyuth case reopen.

• Like 1

This is a great start. Now when will we see a reform of the military? Or will we still see bogus bomb detectors, dodgy blimps and military involvement in human trafficking and other smuggling operations? After all aren't the military supposed to be the good guys? Don't worry, be happy.

• Like 1

To my mind, a priority is to weed out all the unproductive fat-cats in the upper echelons, and institute a proper chain of command. One only has to see some relatively small-time crook captured and there's a photo-opportunity for a half-dozen or so of Colonels and Generals to stand there looking smug; whereas in reality they had next to nothing to do with the apprehension. How many generals are sitting in 'inactive posts' when really they should be retired and pensioned off? Asking them to participate in this pruning is ensuring it won't happen - they are not going to put forward a massive redundancy plan to reduce the top-heavy structure.

A guide, a police chief in each changwat, a colonel in each amphur, a major in each tambon, and majors/captains to run bigger stations. Special divisions and branches to scaled accordingly. I think they would be guided by looking at some European police commands.

• Like 1

But all it says is, "... listen and gather all views from the police themselves.". I don't have much confidence that this will lead to any of the very much needed changes.

As in any major project, it's the place to start. Also as with any major project, no doubt individuals will be putting forth views that suit their own personal agenda.

The question is, who will do the assessing of the feedback in order to weed out personal agendas, from views intended to actually improve the police force? And then, who will do the implementation?

The critical point being, whoever does those two things needs to be corruption free. They also probably need to have more than one year before retirement. I don't think its a 12 month job.

But fingers crossed the project at least leads to some improvement. I for one think it's THE most critical thing to improving Thailands development. If a country has the rule of law, properly applied and enforced with appropriate punishment, everything else starts to fall into place, or can at least be properly addressed.

After all this Thai reform is done, who will be the Thai leaders held accountable to the public for the failure, success, or lack of improvement in the implementation of law and order? It seems that drwaing up a new organization and chart isn't the core problem. There needs to be a decision on "enforcement" of law and order be it a traffic violation, murder, manslaughter or any other crime committed by any person rich or poor, dark or light, land owner or indentured laborer. There seems to be no mention of this basic issue in Thailand. What about universal enforcement of law and order and punishment?

• Like 1

Several years ago, they had a meeting of Ferrari owners here in Pattaya. Some 20 or so showed up. I was a bit amazed that almost all were police officers.

several years ago I spent a night in the cells at soi 9. I was a little surprised when a police officer came into the cells and delivered yaabaa to one of the lackeys who then sold it to whoever wanted it, which was quite a few of the inmates who then took turns smoking it in the toilet area. I mean they werent blatantly obvious about it but it was obvious what was going on

it gave me a new understanding of why taksin executed all those drug dealers and why policemen can afford Ferraris, Im sure a large percentage of police money and the politicians in power comes from them monopolizing the drug trade and I dont really see any way of changing that

• Like 2

maybe they can also have a police exam test, like the new driving licence test , only 10% would pass

that would be a good cleanup

plus a check of wealth, if they did not get unusual wealthy with the meager salary which they claim, so they need to ask some tea money from motosais & businesses

But all it says is, "... listen and gather all views from the police themselves.". I don't have much confidence that this will lead to any of the very much needed changes.

As in any major project, it's the place to start. Also as with any major project, no doubt individuals will be putting forth views that suit their own personal agenda.

The question is, who will do the assessing of the feedback in order to weed out personal agendas, from views intended to actually improve the police force? And then, who will do the implementation?

The critical point being, whoever does those two things needs to be corruption free. They also probably need to have more than one year before retirement. I don't think its a 12 month job.

But fingers crossed the project at least leads to some improvement. I for one think it's THE most critical thing to improving Thailands development. If a country has the rule of law, properly applied and enforced with appropriate punishment, everything else starts to fall into place, or can at least be properly addressed.

While I agree with almost everything that you say, Carrerakiss, I believe that education is of equal importance. Without a thinking, intelligent, smart electorate, the ability to vote in good people and vote out corrupt, incompetent people will not, cannot happen.

• Like 1

Its a simple task to weed put the corrupt, just follow the money.

Its a simple task to discourage corruption too - just make the punishments hard and sharp and the reporting process easy and anonymous with an independent smart investigative team to follow up.

Just a few people properly empowered with wide ranging powers could make huge inroads very quickly.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

And at the conclusion of this reform it will go from the police serving 1 person to serving 66 million people.

One can be assured that after reform there will be no longer a hazy line between the criminal and the policeman.

One can be assured that after reform the Thai Police Chief would harshly denounce and distance the police force from a policeman named Sergeant Major Daeng' after he shared his "good news" about the terrorist attacks in Trat. With Daeng being terminated from the force and charges laid against him for inciting unrest amongst other charges of conspiring with criminals.

And finally one can be assured that the person in the below photo would not be allowed to have the photo hanging up in his office at work at the RTP headquarters that sends a clear message to a police force that the definition of "to serve and protect" is directed at criminals from one side of the political divide, but to "arrest and persecute" is directed at criminals from the other side of the political divide.

At last "To Serve and Protect" will mean everyone, not just an accused mass murderer, accused terrorist convicted criminal fugitive.

Why is Thaksin just wearing a bathrobe during that decoration ceremony. What happened before that picture was taken?