Americans hate airline fees

webfact

Americans Hate Airline Fees

84 percent of US Airline passengers and travelers oppose airline fees, but many travelers don't want to pay higher ticket prices either for eliminating such fees.

Those are among the findings of a new national survey by the most popular legal information website.

Summer travel season is now in high gear, and Americans are filling planes taking them to vacation destinations near and far. As they fly, they are encountering dozens of fees from the airlines in addition to the basic ticket price. Some fees are for services that were previously included in the ticket price, such as checked luggage and meals. Other fees are for additional amenities, such as extra legroom and priority boarding.

An overwhelming 84 percent of Americans say they don't like airline fees and support the statement that "airlines are nickel-and-diming passengers," according to the FindLaw.com survey. Only thirteen percent said they that like airline fees, because it allows them to only pay for the services and amenities that they use.

But while people strongly dislike airline fees, when asked whether they would rather see higher ticket prices in return for eliminating some fees, people were more split. Only 53 percent say they would be willing to pay higher airfares with no fees. Nearly as many people – 47 percent – said they would prefer to pay lower airfares with basic service and then pay fees for additional services.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/46998/americans-hate-airline-fees

-- eTN 2014-06-17

Well look at the positive side,
There are still 16% of Americans stupid enough to either LOVE airfare fees or,
are not aware of the decade old "fuel", "baggage", "seating", "administration",
"service","credit card" and "give me a smile" surcharges cheesy.gif

As the high IQ forum members would say; "If those 86% don't like it - then walk"
(Just to keep up with the most stupid comment ever made giggle.gif )

Edited by JoeLing

Unfortunately the fees have become necessary in the USA for the carriers to stay in business. Since deregulation started more than 30 years ago, the airline business in the US has changed dramatically. If the airlines didn't change to match the whims of the flying public which complains about the fees and lack of service, but don't want to pay for the service they want, they go under. So except for maybe one airline in the US, there are no free meals on domestic flights anymore, you must pay per each back you check in, pay to sit in the exit row, pay to sit in the bulkhead row etc. No more Pan Am service. I worked for an airline for close to two decades and we really started raking in money when we started charging for checked luggage. We finally starting making a profit every single quarter.

It's not just Americans that hate airline fees. The way the headline reads you'd think people from other countries must be happy with them. What about the Thailand/India/Turkey/Sweden ?

The one I hate is the Fuel Surcharge. Because fuel prices went up (and cut into their profits) they add a surcharge. But when fuel prices dropped, the surcharge stayed. Same for most of those other fees, they didn't actually drop ticket prices, they simply started charging extra for services that used to be a normal part of the ticket price.

Then they say "Oh well if you don't want to pay those extra fees, we'll have to raise the ticket prices" so you are screwed as they are going to get their money either way.

Air Canada absolutely sucks for that kind of stuff. Want to pick your seat when doing online booking - add $15 to ticket price (for each leg of the trip) ! Want to collect frequent flyer miles - add $3 to ticket price ! You have to pay to collect their frequent flyer miles !!!!

Don't have any checked baggage - deduct $3 from ticket price. <deleted> !!! If you have to handle and carry my 25kg suitcase, it's included in the price. If I travel light, I save $3, but if I want to pick my seat on the plane it's an extra $15 ?!??!?

Won't even bother with stuff like paying extra for booze, snacks, etc. Or the crappy service provided by the "can't be fired for any reason because we're unionized" flight crew.

Flying on Asian and Middle Eastern airlines a lot over the last few years has kind of spoiled me I guess. While some are expensive, the service and amenities usually make up for it. The worst is when you pay for a Cathay Pacific flight, expecting Cathay service, and find out it's an Air Canada code share flight, operated by Air Canada, with their usual substandard service. If I buy an Emirates ticket to Bangkok and find out it's an Thai Air code share, no big deal. You still get pretty good service and meals and a nice airplane.

(Western) Airlines seems to follow the (Western) government model. If you institute a tax (or increase an existing one) never give up that revenue, even if the original reason for it has long since disappeared ! When that additional revenue isn't enough to meet your earnings forecasts, simply increase the fees (or add new ones) !

I think they call it 'Drip pricing', little charges that get added on for this and that. Makes it very hard to compare fares because different airlines do it different ways and unless you are prepared to going through entire booking processes with each airline you are comparing, it's hard to get to the exact price for each of them.

I have raised the following issue several times here at TVF, but most people seem to have their heads in the sand, or up something else.

I believe the entire world is heading into very dangerous times regarding Air travel and there are many experts around the world that share my opinion. People are merely focused on PRICE. The majority of the travelling public are oblivious to the dangers at the present time. The entire airline industry (world wide) is being exposed to a very dangerous practice, it's called 'Pay2Fly' piloting schemes. It's being hushed in the media, don't want to scare the general public.

People really need to consider their air travel in a more complex manner, price alone is NOT a good way to shop.

If things are allowed to continue with certain airlines, the way they are the rate of accidents is going to increase. It's not like bus travel, when something goes wrong there are no sky hooks. When I select air travel, I'm considering safety as a priority and any airline that practises Pay2Fly schemes, I'm out, this is a dangerous situation and piloting unions are virtually powerless to stop it. Regulation bodies around the world are sleeping and the general travelling public are behaving stupidly.

People, stop shopping by price alone and do a little investigation before you fly with a carrier...... a life is a high price to pay for saving a few dollars on cheap air travel.

If you can't work out what I'm on about google 'Pay2fly' schemes and try to understand the most important thing about air travel is perhaps all about the DRIVERS and their TRAINING. Having two experienced pilots is the most important part of air travel, PAY2FLY, with one captain with 5 or 6,000 hours and an F.O. rookie with virtually no hours is a recipe for disaster, yet it's happening hundreds of flights everyday, especially with some budget carriers MEANWHILE doofus self loading freight (YOU guys) are too busy trying to work out which is the cheapest fare, down to the last 25 satang.

Who's driving your plane?

Can I have that Ferrari for the same price as my Toyota?

I fly a lot both US carriers and Asian carriers. I always try to fly Asian if I can because in my opinion US airline companies are a joke compared to the service offered by the Asians.

Once you go Asian you'll never go Caucasian.

• Like 2

US airlines haven't resembled a Ferrari since the 1960s. And a Toyota isn't even on the radar for the flying boxcars that US airlines put in the sky.

A long way from the days of Pan Am... not that I remember them lol

• Like 1

I flew with an Asian "no-frills" airline from HCMC to BKK, and misread my check-in luggage weight allowance. The 6kg excess baggage cost me more than my ticket with 15kg allowance... I was livid.

But I do understand that it is the total weight that really determines how much fuel is required (the main cost component of any flight) and think that airlines should apply an overall weight allowance of say 100-120kg for each passenger plus all luggage, which should be declared at the time of booking, and excess charged for at check-in. This would allow airlines to fill their flight (with cargo if necessary) to the weight limit and overall improve efficiency to minimise costs.

Perhaps a "hip width" limit would be appreciated by many in economy as well ...!

Edited by steve73

Perhaps then ticket prices should be determined by WEIGHT (passenger + luggage), just like cargo. That way everyone REALLY pays their fare share.

Why should a person weighing 50k with 100k of luggage PAY MORE than a person weighing 100k and only having 50k of luggage?

• Like 1

Unfortunately the fees have become necessary in the USA for the carriers to stay in business. Since deregulation started more than 30 years ago, the airline business in the US has changed dramatically. If the airlines didn't change to match the whims of the flying public which complains about the fees and lack of service, but don't want to pay for the service they want, they go under. So except for maybe one airline in the US, there are no free meals on domestic flights anymore, you must pay per each back you check in, pay to sit in the exit row, pay to sit in the bulkhead row etc. No more Pan Am service. I worked for an airline for close to two decades and we really started raking in money when we started charging for checked luggage. We finally starting making a profit every single quarter.

AirAsia seem to have woken up to this. Although they've always charged for checked baggage, the costs per kg went up quite a lot last month. Also, it's about 60% more if you don't pre-book your luggage. No such things as a "1 bag allowance".

I'm still amazed at the stuff that is checked in on International flights. Must cost a fortune.

In Australia, all prices quoted must be inclusive. No add-ons after you've decided that an airline has a good price.

The present trend reminds me of the parody on Ryan air: "You wanted a beer sir?" and "did you want a glass with that - it's extra"

Seems that US airlines need to nickel and dime to make a profit whereas for example Turkish AIrlines manages to turn a profit yet can still provide FREE ALCOHOL.. so how does that work out...?

I've flown most US airlines to/from USA-Asia and once I flew on an asian carrier, I'll NEVER fly on a US carrier again. Bunch of old as dirt, rude, arrogant employees who know nothing about service and are only there for benefits. The anxiety and stress of traveling doesn't end for me until I get off the plane whereas on an asian carrier its as if my vacation begins once I board the plane..very attractive, kind, service oriented, eye appealing attendants...make traveling so much more enjoyable.

• Like 1

Things will change in the US when the legacy carriers (United, Delta, American/US Airways) realize that the flying public is fed up with the nickle-dime charges and poor service and begin to demand that an open skies arrangement be implemented to allow foreign flag carriers to offer point-to-point service in the US. So far the legacy carriers have prevented this from happening but the future is not nearly so sanguine. The US Congress did block a recent attempt by Norwegian Air Shuttle to offer cheap airfares to Scandinavia but the last chapter in that story has yet to be written.

As others have posted, US legacy carrier services to SEA pales in comparison to that offered by both Asian and Middle Eastern airlines. Delta flies ancient planes that are worn out and crowded whereas many of its competitors have spent the money to upgrade their planes and keep their service passable. The last time I flew Delta from the US to the Philippines in business class the seat wouldn't recline, the AV system was broken and the stewardess was as old as the hills. That isn't meant to be a sexist or age-related comment but once the drinks and meals were served the stewardesses seemed more interested in sitting by themselves and talking than in checking on their clients. When I fly ORD-CNX on Korean Airlines even in economy the flight personnel are making rounds offering water, drinks and assistance throughout the flight. That level of attention seems to be missing on Delta and American Airlines flights.

A large part of the problem with US carriers is that they can only see as far ahead as the next fiscal quarter when they have to report earnings to stockholders. You can wring the money out of the company but if the management doesn't invest in the product the marketplace will move and they will become non-competitive. That is what's happening with US legacy carriers.

I have never understood why a passenger would have to have a "meal" served on any flight duration less than 2 hours, or maybe 3 hours. What is the point of paying extra to have a plastic container thrown at you. It is usually not something you would have chosen to eat.

Apart from the modest saving on the cost of producing huge numbers of plastic meals, there is also an obvious saving in flying weight and therefore fuel savings, which maybe do not amount to much per person, but will still add up for the airline. The food trolly weighs quite a lot even empty, plus the loading/turnaround time for short haul could be improved without lading all the junk food and unloading the mountain of leftovers, and pumping out the toilets...

If you really have to eat during a short flight, then buy in the terminal something you enjoy eating.

I oppose American airline flag carriers..............bad service, with rude staff, on some routes charging for drinks, and the loss of luggage all add up to my decision in not taking any american airlines if at all possible.

• Like 1

Airlines in the US nickel & dime too much so that is the reason for the high percentage of Americans against such fees. If it was just one set price, no one would care.

I like to just pay for a ticket one time an not worry about being nickeled & dimed for every service an airline should provide. Therefore, I always, always, always fly quality airlines like Thai Airways, Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines or ANA. Even Philippines Airlines an China Airlines provide great service. Flights to the US aren't cheap an yet I always pass up the cheapest fares offered by United & Delta. That low fare will eventually jump higher once extra fees are thrown in.

Also, I avoid Air Asia at ALL cost because they nickel & dime you for everything! For local/domestic I fly Thai Airways or Nok Air.

No nickel & diming an no surprises. Just great service. smile.png

Hawaiian Airlines still serves free food on domestic long haul flights, have friendly staff, and I believe they hold the on time record for the last several years and rarely lose a bag if you look at the stats. However you must be going to or from Hawaii to take advantage of the service

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

OK they offer you a Farrari for the same price a a Toyota, you would still be annoyed if you fond it was stood on bricks and they wanted the difference in the price for the alloy wheels before you could drive it away,

(Moral of the story, never buy a car from a Liverpudlian)

People in my firm travel more than just about anyone I know and I never hear any complaints about this. I doubt most Americans even notice these charges or care about these charges in their daily lives. I suppose if you poll them or ask them and they think about it, anyone with any sense will say they don't like spending extra money.

To imply that we hate this is a bit over the top as I venture to say most don't think about it or consider it in their daily lives and most are smart enough to realize that airlines are just trying to offset ticket prices that are artificially kept low to provide the appearance of being competitive.